Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Where do I find the simple but good builds to focus on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Thanks. I've never heard of this cheesy tactic. Of course I consider any tactic that requires logging out to be cheesy so...

Its the same tactic that lets you target farm an abaxoth should you need one for a challenge.
Get yourself an adequatly deep beyond node, kill stuff until boss spawns, if its not Abby relog and try again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1147951

The gold standard.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Magus42 posted:

As long as you never, ever run the GGG updater in that scenario; it would break the file as far as Steam is concerned, triggering redownloading.

Nope! I can update with the standalone exe or wait and let Steam update it automatically and both work as expected. The end result files are identical between the clients, the way they get there is different.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jon Joe posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2326164

This is what I'm running this league, it's not the meta Storm Brand build but it'll get you to maps easily with little investment and it scales well. The guide is pretty good too.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Jon Joe posted:

I feel like I’d be having more fun if I felt more powerful.

Most builds don't really come together for me until around the end of act 4/once I've gotten my first ascendency. The first 3 acts are often a chore and the boss health buff did not help that.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
It's why I still have a hard time recommending PoE to new players. The early game is honestly very boring, and it's made worse by the fact that new players will go through the game more slowly, prolonging the time they spend in the boring parts. I don't particularly like the argument 'it gets better later on!', because I myself wouldn't want to slog through 20 hours to maybe, maybe not like a game. I have much better ROI things to do.

I technically first tried PoE during... *checks* 1.0.0e. It took me a good few later attempts (and much goading from a former coworker, bless his soul) before I could get 'into' the game, though.

I'm hopeful that PoE 2 would be an easier sell, though. Even the early bosses look engaging, with interesting telegraphed abilities. It's hard to tell without trying myself, though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I first tried PoE back when dying kicked you back to town and died like 60 times to normal Dominus and gave up because id been ignoring resists

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

My brother says he's waiting for PoE 2 before digging in and I caught myself saying "but your MTX will carry over!!!" like that's a reasonable thing for a new player to care about.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't feel like poe starts off any slower than most arpgs.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Yeah, I think they do pretty much all start slow, and rely more on the story or character design hooking you enough to get into the later game. Some games do this better than others

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Someone please help me with my cyclone build my family is dying.

I'm sitting at around 6k health, which doesn't seem like anywhere near enough cause plenty of stuff will one-shot me out of the blue.
DPS feels okay but not great, so hard to think that relocating out of damage into health is a good idea.
Should I move on from Ahn's Might? The 100% hit rate is nice but no idea if my damage could be better with rares.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/BitterAvatar

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The slowest part of POE are the NPC stories. I've never actually read one completely because the text scrolls so slow. No idea what's going on in the world and who you're helping, but I appreciate the skill point book quest rewards!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

Someone please help me with my cyclone build my family is dying.

I'm sitting at around 6k health, which doesn't seem like anywhere near enough cause plenty of stuff will one-shot me out of the blue.
DPS feels okay but not great, so hard to think that relocating out of damage into health is a good idea.
Should I move on from Ahn's Might? The 100% hit rate is nice but no idea if my damage could be better with rares.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/BitterAvatar

- if PoB's import of your character is to be believed, your lightning resistance is not capped (62%) and that could deeeeeeefinitely cause that.
- Ahn's Might is totally fine and you've got the Pacifism jewel in there to keep you at 0 frenzy
- you haven't done your Uber Lab yet? at 92?
- 2 life flasks and a hybrid flasks is too much, and makes your offense suffer - get two of diamond/silver/sulphur flasks and replace two of those life/hybrid flask (obviously keep Lion's Roar)

I have a cyclone Ahn's Might character named "spinnerpow" if you want to see: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/diddlypow/characters it has about 1.7M Shaper DPS (yours is at like ~500k?) and it felt pretty good. 5.5k life and decent enough armor, but I also did Acrobatics for the dodge chance

e:
also I don't think you need Vaal Pact, 1+k life on hit is fine, you hit ~7-8 times per second
in general I leaned more on crit stuff on my tree and I think it paid off, in fact going over to the sword wheel on the right costs 29 points from the wheel below Thick Skin but it accounts for 60% of my DPS

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 2, 2020

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Dias posted:

I downloaded the standalone installer, copied the .exe and dumped it into the Steam folder as suggested and it worked, I'm finally free from "allocating space".

You did that backwards. Install standalone, then move the ggpk there and uninstall it in Steam.

If you leave it in Steam, you're still going to be getting Steam updates. If you try to update with the standalone you're going to change the file in ways Steam isn't expecting, meaning it has to download larger updates.

Cinara posted:

Nope! I can update with the standalone exe or wait and let Steam update it automatically and both work as expected. The end result files are identical between the clients, the way they get there is different.

No they aren't. Steam does a binary patch while the standalone client understands the ggpk and can update it inline; the two won't always result in identical files. You might be getting larger updates in Steam than everyone else because of this.

It doesn't break Steam, just could trigger larger downloads.

If you get it out of Steam entirely you could even use the defragmenter for a smaller ggpk. Steam's is a few gigabytes extra.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Magus42 posted:

You did that backwards. Install standalone, then move the ggpk there and uninstall it in Steam.

If you leave it in Steam, you're still going to be getting Steam updates. If you try to update with the standalone you're going to change the file in ways Steam isn't expecting, meaning it has to download larger updates.

It updated well enough yesterday and I changed it on Steam to only update if I start the game. No reason to ever start it from there if I got the standalone launcher.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Just to reiterate - POE at its core is a clunky game. It doesn't "feel" good until your essentially blowing up the whole screen at once and any build that doesn't feels bad. Playing Wolcen just cemented this for me further - regardless of its flaws, wolcen feels good moment to moment in combat and POE doesn't. This is why GGG went in the direction of clear speed.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
I hope PoE keeps its breakneck pace with clear speed. Diablo 3 et al having "good fundamental combat" doesn't translate into good endgame, because they don't let you actually clear fast. Grifts are slogs.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Build is really strange again. I think I'm going to stick with Indigon. I've got back into the Sanctuary of Thought ascendancy to help deal with the high amounts of incoming damage at T16s and 80%+ delirium, and managed to find a cheap Watcher's Eye with the clarity mod so my MOM is at 60% now. Unreserved life is 2.7k, ES is 3k, mana pool unreserved at 6.7k. Chaos resist is still dire but I have a flask that helps. Indigon basically is not compatible with Arcane Cloak, so I'm using Steelskin and it is about half as good which makes me sad. But, still, low 2000s of added shield every ~4 seconds is better than none, and has helped keep me alive. Right now with plenty of upgrades left to go gear and gem wise, at 8 million shaper DPS with 2 brands applied, or 7 million if I lack onslaught, or 6.6 million if I don't have onslaught AND the boss is hexproof (assuming there are any hexproof bosses that have shaper-tier damage reduction).

The big thing I'm doing here is combining Fevered Minds with Indigon to get my first brand cast up to a high enough mana cost to hit the desired DPS, so I don't have to worry about trying to do it with a 2-brand cast at once and then try to juggle the 4-second window with two casts. MUCH of the time when using it prior to Fevered Mind integration, Indigon and Archmage on their own would require me to make 2 brand casts to hit somewhere a bit south of this level of DPS (was around 3.3-3.5m / brand, but uptime on that was maybe 60% at most). Casting two brands at just the right time and keeping track of how many brand recalls I could do within a 4 second window was very challenging from an attention-span standpoint if anything else was going on that could cause enough distraction that I overshot and cast too soon, DPS ate poo poo for 4 seconds. Like from 240k tooltip average damage to 16k. Boooo.

That can still happen if I accidentally cast twice too soon or if my timing is off with Brand Recall (best to do it before the brand cast so it doesn't run over the cost!) but it's so much easier to maintain a very high % uptime with a one-cast versus a two-cast rotation. The mana cost reduction nodes that also give a bunch of mana and the 50% Indigon helps to give a little more wiggle room. I might unsocket one of the Fevered Minds if I keep having issues there with Brand Recall making Storm Brand run over my mana pool capacity and killing the deeps, though, it'll still hit plenty hard and I could put the jewel slot toward something else cool.

This is fun to play and feels very strong (feels considerably tankier than prior efforts, though I would not call it tanky as such), but Indigon definitely takes some getting used to. I am finding it to be rewarding once you do so, though, helping to combine the damage I was obsessing over with more defenses. POB link if anyone wants to poke at it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 3, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jon Joe posted:

What archetype are you interested in

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I kinda hate both of my characters, I only have a little over an ex in currency and a well-rolled Pandemonius and am looking to make a ranged character. Am I just going to hate myself even more if I roll an Ice Shot Deadeye this league?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm not saying that I want GGG to get rid of its engame or stop embracing clear speed, i'm just saying that POE's fundamental flaw is that it doesnt feel good to play for the first 20 hours and thats bad news.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Lechtansi posted:

I'm not saying that I want GGG to get rid of its engame or stop embracing clear speed, i'm just saying that POE's fundamental flaw is that it doesnt feel good to play for the first 20 hours and thats bad news.
if you know exactly what you're doing you can get this down to like 7 hours!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

whypick1 posted:

I kinda hate both of my characters, I only have a little over an ex in currency and a well-rolled Pandemonius and am looking to make a ranged character. Am I just going to hate myself even more if I roll an Ice Shot Deadeye this league?

I enjoyed Ice Shot when I played it back in Blight but it was definitely a build that required a significant amount of currency before it felt good.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Doomfletch scourge arrow is fun

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Papercut posted:

I don't feel like poe starts off any slower than most arpgs.

To its credit, it's felt a lot better since... the melee rework, is it? That the movement abilities were sped up (and didn't have to be leveled up and linked not to feel like rear end). The animation cancelling, whether you liked the change or not, also helped make the game feel much 'snappier' and more responsive, more intuitive.

It's been an easier sell since that patch, but still has a ways to go.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I'd argue that PoE early game is quite a bit faster than both Wolcen and D3 once you know what you're doing. Problem is, as with everything in PoE, that there's a lot of stuff you can do wrong. Picked a wrong skill (or even archetype)? Wrong supports? Wrong secondary skills? No idea how to get the right links/colours or how to use vendor recipes to make your damage not suck? Tough luck friend, I hope you like being slow as molasses and dying to Merveil 20 times.
D3 though feels absolutely atrocious till you get your lvl70 weapons at lvl40ish, unless you luck into some build-defining 1000% damage boost at Kalandra. Doesn't really matter though, since any character beyond the first each season takes like 5min to get to max level.
Wolcen has you auto attack a whole lot early on and depending on your luck with the random skills 'early on' can last for a very long time.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

whypick1 posted:

I'm going to suggest you Ignite Fireball Trickster as a viable and cheap to get rollin' ranged build that ends up playing more fun than you would expect. the investment is a Tabula (and you can replace it with a 15c 6L Reckless Ward later) and a 5L Searing Touch to get some juicy Fire Traps to help your single target. I was able to jump into red maps at 72 without any real difficulties although I've mostly sidelined it because the Vortex Occultist is just dang ol fun as heck. the cluster jewels for fire DoT were pretty fair priced and you can run a large, 2 mediums, and 2 smalls without taking anything away from your tree. here's a Tarke Cat video he did reviewing someone else's build that I used as a starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usc-JS3lvuU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That was my starter for Blight.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 3, 2020

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Sooo uh wave 13 of Simulcrum and

i guess I won the league or something?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Well, the ones on poe.trade are priced between 2 and 3 mirrors, so... yeah, congrats on winning the league.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bagpuss_UK posted:

:eyepop:
I found two Exalted Orbs today and I thought I was lucky. What are you going to buy?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

What archetype are you interested in

I dunno what counts as an archetype but I’d like something where clicking 1 button deletes the screen.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
I found two Exalted Orbs today and I thought I was lucky. What are you going to buy?
No idea. I've listed it for 300ex, so I guess whatever I want :D

What's the most ridiculously OP build I could look at making... some sort of herald stacking headhunter monstrosity?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
They just fixed the herald/HH builds

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

No Safe Word posted:

- if PoB's import of your character is to be believed, your lightning resistance is not capped (62%) and that could deeeeeeefinitely cause that.
- Ahn's Might is totally fine and you've got the Pacifism jewel in there to keep you at 0 frenzy
- you haven't done your Uber Lab yet? at 92?
- 2 life flasks and a hybrid flasks is too much, and makes your offense suffer - get two of diamond/silver/sulphur flasks and replace two of those life/hybrid flask (obviously keep Lion's Roar)

I have a cyclone Ahn's Might character named "spinnerpow" if you want to see: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/diddlypow/characters it has about 1.7M Shaper DPS (yours is at like ~500k?) and it felt pretty good. 5.5k life and decent enough armor, but I also did Acrobatics for the dodge chance

e:
also I don't think you need Vaal Pact, 1+k life on hit is fine, you hit ~7-8 times per second
in general I leaned more on crit stuff on my tree and I think it paid off, in fact going over to the sword wheel on the right costs 29 points from the wheel below Thick Skin but it accounts for 60% of my DPS

I have all of my resists capped and I've done uber lab, no idea why it would be saying otherwise. I'll definitely invest in the different flasks and check out the sword trees

nerox
May 20, 2001
An cospri cast on crit assassin with headhunter is what I’d do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jon Joe posted:

I dunno what counts as an archetype but I’d like something where clicking 1 button deletes the screen.

Fighter mage archer ?

Magic physical ?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Fighter mage archer ?

Magic physical ?

Archer physical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU