Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

abrosheen posted:

I just finished Rites of Passage, and it was excellent just as others have said.

"So here we are. The unprepared, arraying ourselves against the unfathomable, on behalf of the unaware."

I've been yelling this for a while. Chetta is one of the best 40k characters ever written. Read this book y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So long as we get Mark Rylance to play my boy Uber Aemos I’ll be happy.
I didn't think it was possible to be more correct than Mark Strong as Eisenhorn but holy poo poo you did it. This is the most correct anyone has ever been on this site.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
1/3 of the way through Saturnine, some stray thoughts:

I'm really over most of the Lectio Divinitas stuff. It would be more interesting after the Heresy as its own book, and frankly, it's kind of depressing to see the characters embrace the thing that's ultimately going to lead to all the grimdark.

The "Space Marines are actually secretly horrible if you think about it" motifs, I'm extremely into. One of the characters expounding on that theme, I believe, comes out of a four page short story that like ten people read, so it might be confusing. Do they assume people read the anthologies? (Should I assume people read the anthologies? I almost always skip them)

The Silent Sisters are just such a waste of a cool idea. Them not talking just makes them less interesting. It's a memorable setting detail but really gets in the way of their characters. They use battle-sign! They Sign during Battle! It's like talking but less cool to read about! Also, a lot of them use two handed weapons so I'm not sure how that works in actual combat. (Also, are the SoS augmented? It seems like they shouldn't be able to fight non-demonic space marines any more than any other trained human can)

Abbadon just despising Chaos and the Warp is really great. Maybe, in combination with point 1, this sounds like atheist :goonsay: but like...he sees everyone around him turning into weird monster people or being in unendurable pain from chaos diseases or slowly losing their minds, it's totally reasonable that someone would say "hey wait a minute I thought this was about winning a civil war against the people we hate, NOT ushering in a horrifying dark age full of demons.

This may be the only recorded case of Dorn having a sense of humor.

Further details as events warrant.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sisters of Silence are all Nulls in 40k, presumably they've got the same kind of thing going on in 30k. Chaos marines especially getting hosed up by loss of their new barely understood Warp connection getting severed makes sense to me. These aren't the veterans of the Long War who've spent millennia basting in the malign influence of the Warp, these are just a bunch of idiot traitors who are now fighting the forces explicitly created to put them down if/when they went rabid.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Idris Elba as Eisenhorn.

Not a bad pick. But if we're doing facial-nerve dead Eisenhorn, I think Mads Mikkelsen still wins.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Sisters of Silence are all Nulls in 40k, presumably they've got the same kind of thing going on in 30k.

They did, Russ' attack on Prospero only really worked because he had Sisters reinforcement.

They basically wear miniature space marine armor. It's better than both the Sisters of Battle and the normal power armor used by rogue traders and Inquisitors.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The sisters can somewhat stand up to space marines (although they still lose) due to their especial training and physical conditioning, similarly to other imperial agents like the assassins, but just not as great as them.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Not a bad pick. But if we're doing facial-nerve dead Eisenhorn, I think Mads Mikkelsen still wins.

100% that aspect of him will be cut from the TV show. Who wants to watch a show with a lead character who doesn't emote at all.

Joke answers incoming in 3...2...1...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

von Metternich posted:

1/3 of the way through Saturnine, some stray thoughts:

I'm happy that folks who got their hands on Saturnine are enjoying it, but please at least put spoiler tags on thoughts & reviews for a book that only got a limited hardcover release and won't drop until July?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

a lovely king posted:

100% that aspect of him will be cut from the TV show. Who wants to watch a show with a lead character who doesn't emote at all.

Joke answers incoming in 3...2...1...

If you cut that you miss the best payoff from pariah (or was it magos?) though. If they ever get the show green lit/ that far.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Relevant Tangent posted:

Sisters of Silence are all Nulls in 40k, presumably they've got the same kind of thing going on in 30k. Chaos marines especially getting hosed up by loss of their new barely understood Warp connection getting severed makes sense to me. These aren't the veterans of the Long War who've spent millennia basting in the malign influence of the Warp, these are just a bunch of idiot traitors who are now fighting the forces explicitly created to put them down if/when they went rabid.

Plus, it's established that Null Fields will throw off anything that isn't also a null, it doesn't only effect "real" psykers.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Plus, it's established that Null Fields will throw off anything that isn't also a null, it doesn't only effect "real" psykers.

Yeah, even regular humans have an irrational dislike of nulls because they're just "off" somehow. It comes up in the Eisenhorn book that Bequin has had a pretty miserable life because she's never made to feel welcome. But for a pysker it's physically painful to be around her.

Is there limit to the sister's "nullness"? I know when the story demands it they're basically an 'off' switch so psykers don't effortlessly defeat everyone, but presumably a sister of silence can't just walk up to Magnus and be all "hey, now you're just a big one-eyed dude". I'm guessing a blank being stood next to the Emperor is like trying to put a throw over the sun

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

Yeah, even regular humans have an irrational dislike of nulls because they're just "off" somehow. It comes up in the Eisenhorn book that Bequin has had a pretty miserable life because she's never made to feel welcome. But for a pysker it's physically painful to be around her.

Is there limit to the sister's "nullness"? I know when the story demands it they're basically an 'off' switch so psykers don't effortlessly defeat everyone, but presumably a sister of silence can't just walk up to Magnus and be all "hey, now you're just a big one-eyed dude". I'm guessing a blank being stood next to the Emperor is like trying to put a throw over the sun

The leader of the sisters of silence in Saturnine has such a strong null field that

normal people can't even see her. Even custodes don't see her unless they know she is there and concentrate really hard. She fucks up traitors because they barely realize she is there and they have lost their warp powers before she is cutting off their heads. When Malcador is in her presence his glamour goes away and he looks like an incredibly frail 6000 year old man

Yes, I believe in some of the other lore, their null field is unable to overcome the emperor's psychic might. Nulls are rated the same as psykers with alpha plus (or maybe omega minus?) being the strongest.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Am I misremembering or doesn't Ravenor's null come to a bad end when Slyte fully manifests?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

D-Pad posted:

The leader of the sisters of silence in Saturnine has such a strong null field that

normal people can't even see her. Even custodes don't see her unless they know she is there and concentrate really hard. She fucks up traitors because they barely realize she is there and they have lost their warp powers before she is cutting off their heads. When Malcador is in her presence his glamour goes away and he looks like an incredibly frail 6000 year old man

Yes, I believe in some of the other lore, their null field is unable to overcome the emperor's psychic might. Nulls are rated the same as psykers with alpha plus (or maybe omega minus?) being the strongest.

Weird cause Malcador is a 20-something thousand year old man isn't he?

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 1, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Don't think too hard about it, Dan Abnett sometimes likes to play fast and loose with the fluff.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 1, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Weird cause Malcador is a 20-something thousand year old man isn't he?

I don't believe so. I believe the previous lore that talked about his age said 6k also

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I don't believe so. I believe the previous lore that talked about his age said 6k also

Oh poo poo, you're right. He was born in M23, not 23,000 years old

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I have a question about the sequence of the creation of the Primarks and their legion geneseed.

As I understand it He buggered of Molock during the dark age of technology to steal the warp energy to make the primarks special.

However, the idea for the primark's doesn't arise until he sees the Thunder Warriors and Geno Five-Two Chiliad during the unification wars.

Is there an in universe explanation for this chicken and egg situation? Or is this a recon problem that has arisen from GW not thinking things would get this complicated?

To be transparent, I've read one or two of the later books but most of this information is from the 40k wiki so it might be the people there are poo poo at explaining things or I am poo poo at understanding them

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

notaspy posted:

I have a question about the sequence of the creation of the Primarks and their legion geneseed.

As I understand it He buggered of Molock during the dark age of technology to steal the warp energy to make the primarks special.

However, the idea for the primark's doesn't arise until he sees the Thunder Warriors and Geno Five-Two Chiliad during the unification wars.

Is there an in universe explanation for this chicken and egg situation? Or is this a recon problem that has arisen from GW not thinking things would get this complicated?

To be transparent, I've read one or two of the later books but most of this information is from the 40k wiki so it might be the people there are poo poo at explaining things or I am poo poo at understanding them

I guess with all the swag he lifted off the Chaos Gods he wasn't sitting on Primarch Plans exactly just a lot of tools and knowhow that would also make the Primarch Project possible later. Along with whatever other hair brained scheme he thought would be amazing.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

I guess with all the swag he lifted off the Chaos Gods he wasn't sitting on Primarch Plans exactly just a lot of tools and knowhow that would also make the Primarch Project possible later. Along with whatever other hair brained scheme he thought would be amazing.

That's a pretty cool take, makes him a lot more human. He's got all this power but he doesn't actually know how to use it all properly. That's why it took him 38k years and he still hosed up. Omnipotent but not omniscient. Knowledge but no wisdom.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arquinsiel posted:

Am I misremembering or doesn't Ravenor's null come to a bad end when Slyte fully manifests?

He makes it to the end and gets un-nullified by Zael who then becomes cheese incarnate as a Gray Knight that's not a complete shithead

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taerkar posted:

He makes it to the end and gets un-nullified by Zael who then becomes cheese incarnate as a Gray Knight that's not a complete shithead
Close enough to count.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Isn't the plot of Nemesis basically a super Cullexus assassin that Horus sends to take out big E? Also I hope I'm not alone in thinking it was kind of dumb having all these subtle differences in 30k and 40k tech and culture and then having official assassins exactly matching modern assassin temples and equipment.

Along with everything else that was dumb in those bad books.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So unsurprisingly, Spear of the Emperor is really good. Even the Space Marine with zero personality is an interesting character.

"Heliot Secundus, still alive, eh." cracked me up.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

MrNemo posted:

Isn't the plot of Nemesis basically a super Cullexus assassin that Horus sends to take out big E? Also I hope I'm not alone in thinking it was kind of dumb having all these subtle differences in 30k and 40k tech and culture and then having official assassins exactly matching modern assassin temples and equipment.

Along with everything else that was dumb in those bad books.

Unless I've forgotten more about that "book" than I realised, no it's about a team of assassin's (dysfunctional assassin's at that) that are sent to kill Horus by Malcador. [Memory missing, some emo poo poo from a culexus and their vindicare brother ] then Big E warp-o's into mission control to tell them "nah" and unwarp-o's out, thus negating the entire book you just read. I seem to remember it does mention other assassin temples that hadn't been touched upon in 40k before but nothing that stuck in my head.

Man, gently caress that book.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

rocket_Magnet posted:

Unless I've forgotten more about that "book" than I realised, no it's about a team of assassin's (dysfunctional assassin's at that) that are sent to kill Horus by Malcador. [Memory missing, some emo poo poo from a culexus and their vindicare brother ] then Big E warp-o's into mission control to tell them "nah" and unwarp-o's out, thus negating the entire book you just read. I seem to remember it does mention other assassin temples that hadn't been touched upon in 40k before but nothing that stuck in my head.

Man, gently caress that book.

I think it is both. There is the assassin squad you mention trying to kill Horus, but Horus has also sent an assassin to kill the emperor. He is some kind of incredibly rare psychic that amplifies any psychic attack and reflects it back to the attacker. The story basically says he actually could kill the emperor because if the emperor attacked him he could make it 10x stronger and throw it back at him. If I remember correctly the imperial squad fails and/or abandons their mission but learns of the assassin Horus sent and stop him before he can get to the Sol system.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoCcpMW8fSs

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That loving ruled.

Any idea where the poor marine went?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He went into that one painting of the long procession of skeletal monuments by the artist I never remember.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 2, 2020

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Whomever is making that series is really loving good at it. Like holy poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Azubah posted:

That loving ruled.

Any idea where the poor marine went?

Hell.

Arcsquad12 posted:

He went into that one painting of the long procession of skeletal monuments by the artist I never remember.

The Devil.

e;
For real tho, Zdzisław Beksiński.

:tinfoil:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 2, 2020

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arcsquad12 posted:

That scene did give off some Beksinski vibes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Think that Inquisitor is okay tho? :ohdear:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He's got a splitting headache.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Smashing the Inquisitor's head in followed by the bolt rounds to finish the job was perfect. The guy who makes these really gets 40k.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

peanut- posted:

Smashing the Inquisitor's head in followed by the bolt rounds to finish the job was perfect. The guy who makes these really gets 40k.

I LOVE their interpretation of the nearly mechanical, barely restrained ultra-violence of the Astartes. Efficient movements and zero hesitation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I counted three service studs on the marine who took his helmet off. Three centuries or more combat experience.

Any Astartes is going to make John Wick look like Gomer Pyle.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Could have sworn each stud was 50 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Silver = 50 yrs, Gold = 1 full Century. From what I can dig up.

Think the Gold is for a full uninterrupted century of out and about killin' things.