Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

FYI, it’s a little finicky but you can actually just open castle gates from the inside with F, I’ve won more than one siege battle by rushing up a ladder, dodging the defenders and opening the gate from the inside to let my army in

It's even more finicky when you have a gaggle of vibrating assholes violently swinging at it and sometimes hitting the enemy vibrating assholes, who are also swinging pointlessly at the door on the other side. The closest I ever got was the range of my glaive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Bohemian Nights posted:

Are there any penalties for 1-handing the weapons that are both one and two handed?

There were in Warband so it's safe to assume they carried over in some fashion. This includes when you're 1 handing a polearm BTW.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It doesn’t show it in the tooltip unless you’re comparing stats, but 2H weapons do have a pretty steep damage penalty when using one handed, if I understand it correctly- my character uses a war razor and even though the damage is listed at like 111 cut, when you compare it to a 1H sword it reads as 55 instead.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Dandywalken posted:

The smithing stamina thing is pretty dumb.

There are a few mods to remove that on nexus mods. Which makes smithing a lot more tolerable.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Secret to go independent is to be clan tier 3, have two companions with full stacks and to be pragmatic by attacking a castle recently depleted by war.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Battanian Flan Champions are my new fave infantry archer. Holy poo poo.

Crossbow higher tier guys cant compete with the formers accuracy and RoF.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Secret to go independent is to be clan tier 3, have two companions with full stacks and to be pragmatic by attacking a castle recently depleted by war.

If you're independent, how does influence and all the policies work out?

I'm currently a lapdog but considering a fresh start as a Genghis wannabe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The battanian fian line is their nobility line so yeah, they're like the elite cavalry equivalent, they're about twice as skilled as top tier levies.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

FileNotFound posted:

If you're independent, how does influence and all the policies work out?

I'm currently a lapdog but considering a fresh start as a Genghis wannabe

My world has a ton of war going on. I picked the faction beefing with nearly everyone else (northern kingdom) who mysteriously took a castle in Azerai territory. So there hasn't been any blowback yet. I saved right after taking the castle so I'll let you know how it goes.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

My world has a ton of war going on. I picked the faction beefing with nearly everyone else (northern kingdom) who mysteriously took a castle in Azerai territory. So there hasn't been any blowback yet. I saved right after taking the castle so I'll let you know how it goes.

So like if you're a lapdog in a kingdom, there are certain policies that get voted on that affect the holdings. I would love to have full control over what policies are active - but as a lapdog it costs influence to put things to vote and a non trivial amount at that.

If getting your own faction lets you just click policies on with no cost ...I feel that my queen does not reward my genocidal tendencies with sufficient territories.....

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The battanian fian line is their nobility line so yeah, they're like the elite cavalry equivalent, they're about twice as skilled as top tier levies.

What would you recommend for shield infantry to hold the main line? With armor stats being super WIP alot of what should be great infantry are trash.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

What would you recommend for shield infantry to hold the main line? With armor stats being super WIP alot of what should be great infantry are trash.

Probably anything with a good shield, shields are important because ranged and throwing weapons are horrifically deadly. I think long shields are better at the front but round shields can be held above the head more easily to stop arcing shots, so it's a bit of a toss up. A mixed block of sea raiders and legionaries demonstrated the difference quite well, with the legionaries seemingly unable to deflect high angle shots, while the sea raiders held theirs up.

You also want to consider weapons, infantry with their own javelins can be very useful against enemy infantry because they can really do a number on attacking enemies, infantry with spears are much better at stopping cavalry charges.

It depends what you're fighting, honestly. If you're fighting a lot of horse guys then probably you want more focus on spears, if you're fighting lots of skirmishers/archers then shields are super important, and if you want infantry busters or castle stormers you probably want more in the way of axes and swords.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Didn't see anyone mention this, but I really love the surprised expression that some of the static shots of your characters and companions show.

It's like everyone's taking their first picture.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Krazuel posted:

There are a few mods to remove that on nexus mods. Which makes smithing a lot more tolerable.

I've tried several mods, but the game crashes after the first loading screen for every single one that's an actual "mod" rather than replacing files.

XP multiplier works fine, remove "multipayer only" tag on weapons/armor works fine. Anything that has to actually be checked off on the launcher as a mod? Crash.

also lol there are "mods" (file replacers) so you can actually craft the axes and maces since by default you can't

BANNERLORD

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Apparently there is a much larger map in the game's files:

:eyepop:

(Somehow I doubt we'll see much of this actually used by Native, but I guess Mods could always borrow spare continents) Assuming there is even actual physical map data for most of this.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently there is a much larger map in the game's files:

:eyepop:

(Somehow I doubt we'll see much of this actually used by Native, but I guess Mods could always borrow spare continents)

that would explain the native american symbols available as banner insignias, actually

was wondering about that

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finally caved and bought this after trying to force myself to play more Warband instead and man this is some good poo poo.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

took my 20k gold and turned it into 330k gold

now i have nothing to spend it on

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

explosivo posted:

I finally caved and bought this after trying to force myself to play more Warband instead and man this is some good poo poo.

even tho it's incomplete and jank as fuckthe quality of life stuff is super good

like that villages are tied to castles and towns now, always sucked fighting some hellwar just to be given a shitfarm

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Patch did something interesting to me. Apparently 80 horses can only carry 710 units now . And I'm out of food to feed my troops despite having 40 consumables.

Reloaded an earlier save, it's fine now.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bohemian Nights posted:

Are there any penalties for 1-handing the weapons that are both one and two handed?

If you click the 1 handed button it shows you the exact stats

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Patch did something interesting to me. Apparently 80 horses can only carry 710 units now . And I'm out of food to feed my troops despite having 40 consumables.

Reloaded an earlier save, it's fine now.

Had that happen. Sold all my horses and food. Saved. Loaded, bought it back. Everything was fine except I was down like 100k but who cares money is 'free' in this game with sufficient cheese.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out taking hundreds of prisoners crashes the game still, tragically.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

FileNotFound posted:

So like if you're a lapdog in a kingdom, there are certain policies that get voted on that affect the holdings. I would love to have full control over what policies are active - but as a lapdog it costs influence to put things to vote and a non trivial amount at that.

If getting your own faction lets you just click policies on with no cost ...I feel that my queen does not reward my genocidal tendencies with sufficient territories.....

It's not implemented yet. My kingdom function is greyed out as it were.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Are the extra ammo perks bugged right now? I'm not getting any extra arrows, seems weird not to have that but the bonus damage perks work. I'm getting a lot of glitches in sieges (like infantry just moshpitting around a random wall), too.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Isnak posted:

I'm getting a lot of glitches in sieges (like infantry just moshpitting around a random wall), too.
I had that once, and Tab showed there was still one fighter for the defenders. Turned out that it had glitched through the wall, but I managed to glitch through it myself and eventually kill him.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is the first point in endurance, get arrows or throwables if you spawn on foot, absolutely worthless outside of the hideout/gang fights?

I'm not going to micro inventory every time there's a battle (or will I use a free horse on the map if unequipped)?

Considering if a no horse run is valid

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are equivalent picks for Riding that add ammo, so it's up to you whether you want to go on foot or on horse. Points in either will give you extra ammo.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ghetto Prince posted:

That smithing trick really helps. I haven't tried to make anything yet, but breaking down all my looter weapons and selling the wrought iron completely turned my game around.

I went from barely surviving bandit fights and pinching pennies to make payroll , to being able to buy real armor, expand my army, and pick up good food and horses to juice my morale and campaign map speed.

Gotta ask: While I saw the mention on getting a companion to train up smithing, which smithing perk is more valuable? Extra coal or extra crude iron?

Edit: Actually perk suggestions down the whole smithing line would be appreciated.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 2, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BeAuMaN posted:

Gotta ask: While I saw the mention on getting a companion to train up smithing, which smithing perk is more valuable? Extra coal or extra crude iron?

I would say extra coal, crude iron is a byproduct of pretty much every refinement recipe so you accumulate a lot of it but you can only get charcoal from making it from hardwood

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Agean90 posted:

even tho it's incomplete and jank as fuckthe quality of life stuff is super good

like that villages are tied to castles and towns now, always sucked fighting some hellwar just to be given a shitfarm

Yeah absolutely. After a couple days of being frustrated with Warband this feels like a brand new game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Lol I tried the captains multiplayer mode for the first time tonight and it's great fun. Was on an empire team vs Sturgia on a city map. First round I did cataphracts and got wrecked, second and third rounds I did much better with heavy infantry but my team still got their teeth kicked in by round shielded guys on the Sturgia team. Any tips or advice? I had my legionaires follow me in a shield wall formation but I felt like that was a mistake because I naturally try to flank individual enemies and it makes my whole wall move and the frontline kind of collapsed (partially also because my team folded and let them get to the archers). A massive clusterfuck of axe guys seems to work best as I couldn't really put much of a dent in them with my spear wall.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

There are equivalent picks for Riding that add ammo, so it's up to you whether you want to go on foot or on horse. Points in either will give you extra ammo.

oh cool.

Anyone know if there's a way to reset points in vanilla or a mod?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I would say extra coal, crude iron is a byproduct of pretty much every refinement recipe so you accumulate a lot of it but you can only get charcoal from making it from hardwood

Coal 100%. You need it for everything forever. Crude iron you will have more than you can use from smelting crap down - for which you need coal.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is the first point in endurance, get arrows or throwables if you spawn on foot, absolutely worthless outside of the hideout/gang fights?

I'm not going to micro inventory every time there's a battle (or will I use a free horse on the map if unequipped)?

Considering if a no horse run is valid

Generally yeah doesn't seem to work.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I'm usless without auto-block, I'm getting my poo poo smashed in from every direction. :gitgud:

I keep trying to shield bash and kick people but you can't do that anymore, so I can't stunlock people and kick them in the nuts until they die.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The kick/bash button is F.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The kick/bash button is E.

ftfy

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Do yourself a favor and make a character called Temüjin Borjigin and roam around with a bad rear end band of Kazaith horsemen. I hope they never nerf them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Stupid question but where the hell do you get a companion? It seems like every city just has merchants and gang leaders who I obviously can't recruit. I've only run into one person who wanted to join me, and the first thing he told me was that he was basically a sadist so I turned him down to avoid drama down the line. But when I did that I assumed it would be easy to find another one to hire. I'm stuck unable to rebuild my clan because I can't find a companion.