Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is that the same thing that is in Komplete Start? Or is it a more fully featured version of what they give you in Start?

The latter. It's got some neat sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I already used it in one of the tracks from my forthcoming EP :)

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
It may take a while for it to show up in Native Access. I assume it's sample based as it is 3.5GB.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://cherryaudio.com/free

free cherry voltage modular

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Some plugins and sample packs from Applied Acoustics Systems today at Humble Bundle. Anyone tried them? Worth $20?

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/music-producer-software

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Their ep modeling is great, with pretty sweet Wurlitzer sounds.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Simone Poodoin posted:

Some plugins and sample packs from Applied Acoustics Systems today at Humble Bundle. Anyone tried them? Worth $20?

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/music-producer-software

If you have Live Suite (or have used it), some of the AAS plugins are the basis for a few instruments. Ultra Analog Session > Analog, Lounge Lizard > Electric, String Studio > Tension. the Ableton versions are sometimes stripped down a bit, and are missing FX (as you are expected to use the Live's effects). Keep in mind, what is offered in that Humble Bundle are the 'Session' version of those plugins, which I believe are 'lite' versions rather than full versions.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.soundtoys.com/rack-relief

Do I understand this correctly? All the effect modules are usable in this version of the rack, even if you don't own individual licenses?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ruffian Price posted:

https://www.soundtoys.com/rack-relief

Do I understand this correctly? All the effect modules are usable in this version of the rack, even if you don't own individual licenses?

It seems pretty unclear, and something you should test.

(I have the full version so have all the effects already.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

quote:

It’s a single, self-contained plug-in that comes preloaded with 14 full-featured Soundtoys effects that you can use within the Rack* including EchoBoy and PrimalTap for delay, Decapitator and Radiator for rich analog saturation, and powerful rhythmic modulation and filtering from Tremolator and FilterFreak.

I would imagine they are, since it says it comes preloaded.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It reads like it'll deactivate on June 30th, so it's a 3 month demo.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Black rooster audio are doing a covid stay at home and make music pack which looks to be a pretty good deal https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/products/stayhome

I have zero experience with their plugins, anyone here used anything in the bundle?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Reason is doing a 30 day trial, if you dont want to use it as a Daw it also comes as the plug in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

apatheticman posted:

Reason is doing a 30 day trial, if you dont want to use it as a Daw it also comes as the plug in.
It's the main DAW I've been working with for 12+ years now and I'd definitely recommend it :)

Try it out! It's free!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Joe Bogan posted:

Black rooster audio are doing a covid stay at home and make music pack which looks to be a pretty good deal https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/products/stayhome

I have zero experience with their plugins, anyone here used anything in the bundle?

I definitely had a free something or other from Black Rooster but it's not installed anymore.
A lot of that bundle looks like it covers similar ground to Waves stuff, depending on what they do for DRM Protection it may well be worth the money.

I feel like a lot of these sorts of developers, regardless of actual product quality, may {inadvertently or not) charge way more than necessary so when a sale comes along that part of our brain that goes "it's a grand's worth of software for 90% off!" lights up and we pull the trigger. I did that with Audio Assault, no loving way in hell their big bundle of stuff is worth £450 to me, but I was happy to pay £45 for it.

I think it also depends on how well featured your DAW is and what other plugins you may own and what crossover there is with what you already own.
Workflow is everything--will these plugins help you get the sound you want faster? Do they look easy to use to you, does the skeumorphism appeal? Or would something resolutely not trying to imitate real life products but is easy to use and more visual such as the Fabfilter suite be better for you?

If you aren't on the full version of your DAW, would that upgrade be money better spent? For example, Frequency in Cubase Pro is an absolute banger of an eq, as is Reverence in regards to reverbs.

Fake edit: I realise I've asked far more questions here than I've answered, but it's all worth bearing in mind. Sometimes just new plugins can be enough to spark something. Whilst I use Frequency a lot, sometimes opening up say, Waves H-eq is what's needed to help me get where I want to be despite doing exactly the same thing. If it's not gonna be a big dent in your finances, no harm done.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Can anyone recommend a good, affordable alternative to Loud Max? Its a Look-Ahead Brickwall Loudness Maximizer Plugin that also lets you limit instrasample peaks. I've been using it as my goto mastering limiter for about a year now, but 32-bit plugins are no longer supported in Mac Catalina and it stopped working for me earlier this week. :(

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The free Waves L1 clone has both versions in the archive

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

Ruffian Price posted:

The free Waves L1 clone has both versions in the archive

This looks great, but unfortunately I still can't run it on Mac. I'm getting this error since the plugin isn't signed with an Apple Developer Key (drat you Catalina!).

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Supersonic posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, affordable alternative to Loud Max? Its a Look-Ahead Brickwall Loudness Maximizer Plugin that also lets you limit instrasample peaks. I've been using it as my goto mastering limiter for about a year now, but 32-bit plugins are no longer supported in Mac Catalina and it stopped working for me earlier this week. :(

I'm using 64 bit Loudmax (on Windows though)

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm using 64 bit Loudmax (on Windows though)

I did some digging and it turns out that it isn't a 64-bit issue like I initially thought. The problem is I applied a new Catalina (OSX) update which now refuses to open VSTs (or AUs) which aren't signed with an Apple Developer Key. This is what the error looks like when I try to open the Loudmax plugin Ableton, just happening on a different program.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The next step on my musical adventure is getting a soft synth as my main go-to. The two most referenced ones I've seen about are Sylenth1 and Serum. Both can be had as rent-to-buy, which is perfect. Sylenth1, from a no-knowledge perspective, seems easier because you don't have intimidating visual waves sitting there confusing me, but Serum I've seen as "More modern and more featured." Sylenth supposedly comes with more presets, but someone said my (one released) track was too simple on the sound design using presets, so I'd be imagining myself getting more into making custom stuff (and tweaking presets which is mostly locked off in my Analog Lab software.)

Anyone have any strong recommendation, or is it more a case of learning in-depth which I go with?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Disclaimer: I haven't ever used Sylenth, but IMO it's better to get something that does more than you need it to at this time, learn the basics of it then branch out

Serum does everything a 'normal' subtractive synth can do, the wavetable stuff can be ignored at the start if you want to learn to build your own sounds, and you can set the display to "2d" if you find the 3d distracting.

The "basic shapes" wavetable in Serum has a saw, triangle, sine and square and it flicks directly between them with no morphing (at least in it's initial form, you can make it morph later as you learn) . It's basically the same as a waveform toggle on any other synth and you could/should potentially spend a few hours or days just playing around with that. Think of the more complex tables as different spices you add to your basic rice dish

Tbh I think we're rapidly approaching parity with 'modern vsti synths', yes the wavetables may differ but the primary difference now is workflow, and what gets you where you want to be fastest and easiest in a manner that makes sense to you. Dune 2, Serum, Massive/Massive X, maybe Spire too can all get you the same places, it's the journey that differs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You can do a pretty deep dive into Surge as well and it's free. Not saying it's on par with the others per se, but I think it's pretty good.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Part of the reason I was looking at Sylenth and/or Serum is because they're incredibly popular and so have a lot of resources available for learning. And they're affordable with the rent-to-buy plans. I've already been messing with TAL's Noisemaker.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah I think Surge is pretty competitive feature-wise, although Serum is prettier and a bit more intuitive.

And as NonzeroCircle says, you can get started with subtractive synthesis pretty easily in Serum too.

Also, where Serum gets fun is with the wavetable morphing and the easy ability to throw an LFO or envelope onto literally anything. I don't really think there's another synth that's easier to do that once you've got the hang of it, and getting the hang of it is really only a matter of watching a few Youtube videos.

Note: I haven't tried Sylenth1, but it looks to me like it's trying to emulate a hardware synth in its interface, so all of its visual idioms are bound by trying to emulate physical knobs, sliders, and LCD displays. Serum is explicitly trying to be a computer instrument, so isn't bound by those constraints. From a UI/info-viz perspective, I think Serum is far ahead.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'll gladly admit that if the availability of online tutorials is your main priority, Surge isn't it.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Does anyone use Massive anymore? :(
I'm also a huge fan of Absynth, I've been working on an album for the past six months and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it (it also supports nonstandard tunings, oo)

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Re: softsynths, Arturia Pigments is broadly comparable to Serum and has a free trial until July. You may find the interface suits you better, or not, but it's certainly straightforward to use, and there are tutorials available. The main benefit is the sheer amount of visual feedback on everything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tweezer Reprise posted:

NI emailed me a $50 off voucher for Komplete 12 Select, so if I buy that, I will.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Arturia seems to be taunting me because they just sent me an email saying they're having a sale with 50% off every piece of individual software. It's up on their site and ends May 7th.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Celebrated getting a full-time internship by getting the Soundtoys Academic bundle. Can't try it on anything new because my mic is a little hosed but I've been trying the plugins out on older tracks and god drat if Decapitator doesn't just seem like a magical "sound gooder" plug-in from here. Can't wait to get my mic fixed and start really using it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

i vomit kittens posted:

Celebrated getting a full-time internship by getting the Soundtoys Academic bundle. Can't try it on anything new because my mic is a little hosed but I've been trying the plugins out on older tracks and god drat if Decapitator doesn't just seem like a magical "sound gooder" plug-in from here. Can't wait to get my mic fixed and start really using it.
I'm releasing an EP soon and best believe Decapitator was on almost every instrument on there in one way or another.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

I'm releasing an EP soon and best believe Decapitator was on almost every instrument on there in one way or another.

I believe there's an interview with Trent Reznor where he says basically the same thing, but about their live shows.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
What are my options as far as distressing the timbre of an instrument to make it sound more analog, organic, real and imperfect? I'm thinking specifically around software synths like Serum that often sound too pristine. I have a couple of hardware synths but I'm playing around with streamlining my workflow so that everything lives in the digital realm.

I've used iZotope's Vinyl and its detuning wobble functionality to simulate imperfect analog VCOs. I'm aware of RC-20 retro color. General detuning of each VCO voice helps a bunch. There's distortion too that can color the signal some more. There's noise. What am I missing?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Serum has two chaos knobs on the global tab. Maybe apply a touch of chorus here and there. Other than that you're covering most of the ground, I think.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mrenda posted:

The next step on my musical adventure is getting a soft synth as my main go-to. The two most referenced ones I've seen about are Sylenth1 and Serum. Both can be had as rent-to-buy, which is perfect. Sylenth1, from a no-knowledge perspective, seems easier because you don't have intimidating visual waves sitting there confusing me, but Serum I've seen as "More modern and more featured." Sylenth supposedly comes with more presets, but someone said my (one released) track was too simple on the sound design using presets, so I'd be imagining myself getting more into making custom stuff (and tweaking presets which is mostly locked off in my Analog Lab software.)

Anyone have any strong recommendation, or is it more a case of learning in-depth which I go with?

Get neither. Get Pigments.

I have Sylenth and Serum. Both are fine. Sylenth is polished but restricted in certain ways. Pigments covers that territory with its basic waveshapes. Serum has some rough edges. Pigments does what Serum does and goes beyond in certain ways - sample based oscillators are not restricted to the noise osc.

If you have to pick one, Serum over Sylenth. Pigments is loaded with a best of Arturia. It is what the Origin could have been, kind of.

Its biggest downside is the CPU consumption. Sylenth is incredibly lean. Serum can get up there with enough unison. Pigments is merciless; but I have an older DAW, so YMMV.

DreadCthulhu posted:

What are my options as far as distressing the timbre of an instrument to make it sound more analog, organic, real and imperfect?

Amp and cabinet sims.

Noise in certain parts, but better yet - have that as part of the plugin. Repro does a stellar job and you have to adjust your randomness every time on more clean machines to get a similarish effect.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 25, 2020

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I'm also a huge fan of Absynth, I've been working on an album for the past six months and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it (it also supports nonstandard tunings, oo)

Yes. It still sounds really good, and the UI is the best. I just wish for better distortion, sweeter filters, a resizable UI and unison in oscillator instead of global. Massive X solves some of that and its diatonic unison is great, but still there are some weird decisions in there.

Also Massive X sounds incredible but it’s a real sleeper I’m afraid. NI does their best but should have seen Serum’s raising of the bar and react accordingly.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DreadCthulhu posted:

I've used iZotope's Vinyl and its detuning wobble functionality to simulate imperfect analog VCOs. I'm aware of RC-20 retro color. General detuning of each VCO voice helps a bunch.
This is more targeted as far as detuning synths goes and also free
https://delamanchavst.wordpress.com/2014/06/20/unstable-pitch-modulation-vst-is-released-for-free

Miggity
Apr 25, 2020

Rageaholic posted:

If soundtoys didnt use iLok, I'd love them even more. My fav vst fx bundle aside from Rob Papen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I believe there's an interview with Trent Reznor where he says basically the same thing, but about their live shows.

There's a quote from him praising Echoboy on their site as well. TR loves him some Soundtoys.