Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

assuming you mean crystal giant, it's not until the start of combat, and it's choose at random, not choose

Y’know what at this point that’s probably for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Tainen posted:

Companion - All creatures in deck must be cats, beasts, nightmare, Dino (a couple of others)

Creatures of the listed types get +1/+1

—-

Companion - all permanents must have activated abilities

Activated abilities cost 2 less minimum of 1
1, T target creature can’t block this turn

The five creature types in the apex are: cat, beast, nightmare, dinosaur, elemental. Does that sound right for this companion?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
How on earth do you play this set IRL

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

They bother me because they barely represent the Toho monsters. Just a last minute art and name slap.

King Ghidorah being temur feels completely wrong

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Companion doesn't seem like an issue because all the deckbuilding requirements look way more easy to verify in the course of an average game than "your opponent has no more than 4 copies of any given card".

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 3, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Companion doesn't seem like an issue because all the deckbuilding requirements look way more easy to verify in the course of an average game than "your opponent has no more than 4 copies of any given card".

Yeah it's this. All the "what if???" posts come off as concern trolling. There's no incentive to cheat because playing a companion-illegal card is instantly telling, and there's not much advantage to having a card in your deck that reads "If an opponent ever sees this card, for any reason, you lose the game."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lutri is the only one we've seen so far where there is any conceivable purpose in cheating the requirement, and even there the consistency of playing multiples is surely outweighed by the dead cards/risk of game loss if you draw multiples.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Lutri is the only one we've seen so far where there is any conceivable purpose in cheating the requirement, and even there the consistency of playing multiples is surely outweighed by the dead cards/risk of game loss if you draw multiples.

And the upside to it is... a 3/2 fork.

When you actually have to adjust the deck for it, it's not that great.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And the upside to it is... a 3/2 fork.

When you actually have to adjust the deck for it, it's not that great.

well the upside is a 3/2 fork that acts as a virtual 8th card in your hand that you always get for free at the start of the game. lil different.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

well the upside is a 3/2 fork that acts as a virtual 8th card in your hand that you always get for free at the start of the game. lil different.

Considering the cost is playing singleton, against decks that aren't?

It's not worth it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tainen posted:

This is a card in the set

2RW
Instant
Deal damage and gain life equal to the number of cards you have cycled this game

source, or are you pulling that out of your rear end

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i like the comic book alt art for the liger and the polymorh planeswalker guy

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I want to see if the Otter is good enough maindeck for Pioneer/Modern Izzet Prowess lists.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hey TheKingofSprings if that was you on Arena, I'm sorry my deck is fuckin ridiculous.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Just what the format needed, better aggressive rakdos 2 drops with sacrifice synergies

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A bear is a 2/2 for 2

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ungulateman posted:

Just what the format needed, better aggressive rakdos 2 drops with sacrifice synergies

I mean, it's interesting but I don't think it's even as good as Slaughter Priest and that card has fallen out of favor in RB Sacrifice.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Hey TheKingofSprings if that was you on Arena, I'm sorry my deck is fuckin ridiculous.

odiv, same to you

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh hey, yeah good game. If I had drawn some actual removal or something that would have been nice.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
“The companion cards aren’t very good so it’s not a design mistake” is not an argument I’ll ever give credence too.

Big monster wedge block with complicated and honestly sort of lovely mechanics is a big whiff for me rn. Seems like we’ve seen a bunch of the rares already and...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

uggy posted:

Big monster wedge block with complicated and honestly sort of lovely mechanics is a big whiff for me rn. Seems like we’ve seen a bunch of the rares already and...

oh hell yeah, my favourite part of spoiler season, goofs complaining the set is no good after having seen like a quarter of the cards in it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
as of this moment scryfall says we have seen 33 out of the 274 cards in the set

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

uggy posted:

“The companion cards aren’t very good so it’s not a design mistake” is not an argument I’ll ever give credence too.

How much they get played certainly has an effect on how big a mistake they can be. What makes them a definite design mistake? If some people have fun building less competitive decks with lots of deckbuilding restrictions and everyone who really wants to can beat up on them for it, who cares? I do think it's an issue if they push the cards, and I think a couple so far are at least verging on playable, but so far it seems like they're in a pretty good place power level wise.

Whining about the revealed cards day one of spoilers is lame.

----

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of the Kaiju theme in the abstract, but I'm pretty excited about the set now that we've started getting spoilers.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 3, 2020

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
The format is solved, can’t wait for next spoiler season

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Well those are certainly some cards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

as of this moment scryfall says we have seen 33 out of the 274 cards in the set

haha I saw it said 60 cards but most of those are the alt arts and commander things

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Lone Goat posted:

oh hell yeah, my favourite part of spoiler season, goofs complaining the set is no good after having seen like a quarter of the cards in it

So the gently caress what? This thread doesn’t talk about poo poo anymore tell me why you disagree outside of its too early. You think the commons will change my mind?

It looks super complicated, has terrible memory effects and we’ve seen a bunch of the flagship cards and I don’t like them so???

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

uggy posted:

So the gently caress what? This thread doesn’t talk about poo poo anymore tell me why you disagree outside of its too early. You think the commons will change my mind?

It looks super complicated, has terrible memory effects and we’ve seen a bunch of the flagship cards and I don’t like them so???

nice meltdown

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
We literally can’t judge what the limited environment will be when it drops so we have to judge based on what we’ve seen. I’ve never seen more discussion about confusing mechanics and we have folks talking about how this is clearly designed for digital and as a paper player I feel like that’s another valid complaint, now that we’ve seen poo poo.

We’ve only seen x cards ignores that we finally see the mechanics and lol at them

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

uggy posted:

nice meltdown

maybe a cute cat will calm you down

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Lone Goat posted:

nice meltdown

My guy come on

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

haha I saw it said 60 cards but most of those are the alt arts and commander things

I do like that every card has four different arts now. Everything is special.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I’m presenting actual reasons

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

uggy posted:

Yowza

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

uggy posted:

I’m presenting actual reasons

a dozen rares have been spoilt

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

nice meltdown

maybe a cute cat will calm you down

Magical Christmas Land: Ilharg + Storm Herald

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

uggy posted:

If you were just complaining about the memory issues and complexity that would be one thing, but complaining we've seen most of the high rarity cards already and you don't like them is silly.

We've seen half the mythics and ~10 rares.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
^^^
Well mechanics and memory issues only appear on the cards so idk how else I’d comment about the cards???

We’ve seen 21 total rares and mythics including new cat enchantment posted shortly ago, that’s close to a third of what we’ll see.

Half the mythics already is a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

uggy posted:

^^^
Well mechanics and memory issues only appear on the cards so idk how else I’d comment about the cards???

We’ve seen 21 total rares and mythics including new cat enchantment posted shortly ago, that’s close to a third of what we’ll see.

Half the mythics already is a lot!

5 of those mythics are from the commander set and not in Ikoria proper.