Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Depends how much effort you want to put into it. When I played a Bard a few years ago on P99 it was a lot of work twisting songs but I could also be lazy and do it less.

You're undeniably more effective the more you twist though.

The monk pulls one mob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jWdeRKvvk&t=7s

The monk pulls five mobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8&t=40s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I do not like bards. I am fully anti-bard. I've played a bard and it sucked, most bards are annoying if you aren't grouped with them (they're probably running in a circle with like 15 mobs you could kill faster than it takes them to widdle them down with lovely dots), and even in groups I can't think of a single time a wipe hinged on a bard doing a certain thing as opposed to just being absent. gently caress bards. Jack of all trades master of none, with a tendency to be antisocial assholes.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You do sound mad at bards, but also bad at eq

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Bard soloing is legit aids, but I’ve personally prevented wipes (albeit at low levels) on my bard by chain mezzing and stuff, so

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yeah pretty much

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only cooler design than bard is enchanter.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only cooler design than bard is enchanter.

Man I miss my bard and disciple in Vanguard.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Classic EQ1 enchanter is the greatest class in any game. I desperately wish that I could play one in every RPG.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Man I miss my bard and disciple in Vanguard.

Bloodmage is the correct answer here. Though both were fun. Druids were really fun burst squishy damage too.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vargs posted:

Classic EQ1 enchanter is the greatest class in any game. I desperately wish that I could play one in every RPG.

Anarchy Online has the Bureaucrat, who gets 2 charms which don't break randomly as well as a summoned pet

It's super broken

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

please knock Mom! posted:

Anarchy Online has the Bureaucrat, who gets 2 charms which don't break randomly as well as a summoned pet

It's super broken

Anarchy online, the best game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vargs posted:

My brother randomly rolled one and that's gotta be the reason he got totally hooked on the game and was into high end raiding while I never got past level 30 because I rolled paladin.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Groovelord Neato posted:

rolled paladin.
:rip:

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Any goon guilds or guilds recruiting new players? Buddy and I just started fresh.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Not directly related to P1999 but more EQ overall, over a decade ago I was really into modifying everquest (like this 12 year old video demonstrates), I had tools that could extract the .wld files and models/textures from EQ's S3D packages. I recently got a relatively cheap resin 3d printer and decided I'd like to make some EQ models to accompany the troll toyvault figure I've got and my neon sign. After some searching through old EQEmu forum threads, I was having some serious trouble finding any working programs to rip models. Luckily I eventually did find something - "EQ Model Viewer/Zone Converter" which I definitely remember using before, and it seems like it might be the only working program that will rip models, I found some others that rip textures, but I was getting seriously concerned for a minute that this old software might've disappeared from the internet forever. As a reference, it looks like this program hasn't been updated since 2002-2006 (exe's modify date vs the ini file's date, respectively.) I think I may upload some of these old tools to my web host as my own attempt to preserve the ability to modify EQ to go along with EQemu and P99's attempts to preserve the game itself. I need to see if I can track down a working build of the horrifyingly non-user friendly OpenZone, made by an aggressive frenchman who didn't take kindly to suggestions for UI improvements.

Anyway, I've prepped a few things to be printed, mostly statues like this one from Kunark:

Actual character models are a bit tricky since the program doesn't preserve any of the rigging and any rigged characters are collapsed in on themselves in a way that looks very, very difficult to fix by hand. If there is a fix for that, I'd love it because I could print some low-poly gnolls, orcs and spiders and poo poo. It turns out that resin 3d printers are insanely finnicky and I haven't had success in printing anything yet, but as soon as I get something decent I'll post it here. I've also considered using some EQ models as a reference and just sculpting something in zbrush to match something from EQ, but that's considerably more involved and I kinda suck at zbrush, anyway. Future plans, at least!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

bad boys for life posted:

Any goon guilds or guilds recruiting new players? Buddy and I just started fresh.

There really isn't a Goon Guild on Green save a largely defunct Halfling gimmick guild, which was fantastic while it lasted. There are a few of us spread out across the server, however. You should join the Discord if you haven't already: https://discord.gg/CjFgwm .

drat, that's cool!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Telltolin posted:

Anyway, I've prepped a few things to be printed, mostly statues like this one from Kunark:

Actual character models are a bit tricky since the program doesn't preserve any of the rigging and any rigged characters are collapsed in on themselves in a way that looks very, very difficult to fix by hand. If there is a fix for that, I'd love it because I could print some low-poly gnolls, orcs and spiders and poo poo. It turns out that resin 3d printers are insanely finnicky and I haven't had success in printing anything yet, but as soon as I get something decent I'll post it here. I've also considered using some EQ models as a reference and just sculpting something in zbrush to match something from EQ, but that's considerably more involved and I kinda suck at zbrush, anyway. Future plans, at least!

This has amazing potential. If you work out the kinks and get good models out of this I will throw 💰 for a Fippy.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I got a successful print! But, I broke off an arm and a foot trying to remove the supports, but that can be fixed after it cures with just a little bit of glue:

jabro posted:

This has amazing potential. If you work out the kinks and get good models out of this I will throw 💰 for a Fippy.
Yeah, I'd really like to get characters working properly but the problem is, they come out of the model exporter looking like this:

That's within the model viewer, exporting them also seems to remove the texture mapping so I can't even use the textures as a guide for (trying) to fix things. I think I will ask on the EQEmu or P99 forum to see if there's a way to export and preserve these things. If not, things like gnolls may have to be an entirely custom affair :(

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Telltolin posted:

I got a successful print! But, I broke off an arm and a foot trying to remove the supports, but that can be fixed after it cures with just a little bit of glue:

Yeah, I'd really like to get characters working properly but the problem is, they come out of the model exporter looking like this:

That's within the model viewer, exporting them also seems to remove the texture mapping so I can't even use the textures as a guide for (trying) to fix things. I think I will ask on the EQEmu or P99 forum to see if there's a way to export and preserve these things. If not, things like gnolls may have to be an entirely custom affair :(

This is super cool, keep us posted on your progress. Definitely worth dipping into the P99/eqemu community for technical help - lots of nerds in there who would eat this up.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Telltolin posted:

OpenZone, made by an aggressive frenchman who didn't take kindly to suggestions for UI improvements
I feel this in my soul.

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
I rolled a DE necro named Moniker on green if anyone is just starting out like me!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Telltolin posted:

There are also folks from Shards Of Dalaya, I know they've made custom zones, not sure if they've done any model work but they have a few different devs on staff that might have some pointers/programs/whatever to help you.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

MF_James posted:

There are also folks from Shards Of Dalaya, I know they've made custom zones, not sure if they've done any model work but they have a few different devs on staff that might have some pointers/programs/whatever to help you.

I'll give them a try if the EQemu forums don't turn up much - it seems like this may be a bit of a specialty case because most of the utilities I found that work seem to be focused around importing/exporting custom weapons and/or zone props which is way easier than messing with actual rigging, and who knows what kind of rigging this game from the late 90s uses

also I haven't tried many more statues but i have taken various zone assets and made little mini hex tiles :) including a freeport-like camp, druid rings, wizard spires, a commonlands house and the gates of felwithe:

They fit together pretty seamlessly (except for felwithe for some reason that seems to be slightly angled on one edge) also the flat surfaces especially look a little bit ugly - probably due to not having a proper wash before the pieces are cured. Still learning!
Now I don't wanna keep spamming the p99 thread with 3d print stuff so I will knock it off until I make some progress on character models at which you can expect a flurry of gnolls, orcs and skeletons

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Your posts are a wholesome treat, never stop

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

please knock Mom! posted:

Your posts are a wholesome treat, never stop

:yeah:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Keep posting it's cool as hell.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Those are seriously awesome, Telltolin :) Please keep us updated with progress! Even if it's failures during your trial and error process, like an orc that's been mashed into a weird polygonal ball, or firiona vie with gnome heads for boobs (OK that's not likely to happen by mistake)

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

Those are seriously awesome, Telltolin :) Please keep us updated with progress! Even if it's failures during your trial and error process, like an orc that's been mashed into a weird polygonal ball, or firiona vie with gnome heads for boobs (OK that's not likely to happen by mistake)

I was gonna make both but I'll have you know that this was so awful it straight up corrupted my USB drive and now I have to get a new one before I can print anything else :colbert:

e: oh hey my SA account is 16 years old today, jeez

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 4, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Can the client be run in something like Sandboxie for an extra bit of security? I don’t have a lot of confidence in ancient MMORPG code.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 7, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

dromal phrenia posted:

Those are seriously awesome, Telltolin :) Please keep us updated with progress! Even if it's failures during your trial and error process, like an orc that's been mashed into a weird polygonal ball

so what's the failure

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I finally got a new thumb drive and celebrated by printing more dorky everquest stuff so I can post really unclear photos where it's hard to distinguish what you're looking at!

These were both basically failures, they broke/delaminated and the firiona vie statue (without gnome head tits) was too small to get any meaningful detail in, but it still looks neat! I really like making these little hexagon tiles so I might try to find inspiration from some other zones. I wanted to do kelethin but the big pine trees the platforms are stuck on makes things difficult! I'm thinking I'll go with a faceted, low-poly look (like the mountains there). I'd also like to do the west freeport gates and the kaladim entrance - there are a lot of possibilities and I'm open to them all!

While I was waiting for my thumb drive I also experimented with recreating two really iconic weapons (to me at least), a fer'esh and a shan'tok, and will try to 3d print 'em:

I made the handle and the bladey crossguardy thing smaller, because the original size is kind of ridiculous. I think these proportions look nicer! Before printing I'll toss it into zbrush and sculpt some extra details, like the kunark symbol that's on the guard. It'll still be small but the details should still come through so long as I max out the size in my resin vat. I really like how this one came out, it just looks really chunky and mean!

I took some liberties with both of these, but the shan'tok is a tough customer, since it's based on an actual weapon that comes in a lot of shapes and sizes

I kept it more angular and with sharp central ridges because I feel like it suits the iksar more. Without really thickening it up though it probably won't print as well as the fer'esh, in my estimation. I also experimented with giving it smoother curves. Making these is a fun exercise and I'd like to do more - I was thinking jagged blade of mourning, or maybe Sionachie's Partisan? Is that what it's called? the stickin' stick that bards use! I really dig modeling stuff like this so I'm open to suggestions if this nerd poo poo resonates with you

edit:
I didn't sculpt in the design on the crossguard, but I printed the fer'esh and really like how it turned out:

I'm experimenting with making various connectors so I can print larger things, that fer'esh up there is about the maximum size I can manage with my resin printer - if I am able to ever extract character models (haven't heard back yet!) i could make action-figure like connectors on the limbs and add screws so they could be posed and moved around. Would be neat! I'm also looking into the kind of paint that's good to use for this resin

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 16, 2020

Slapdash
Mar 30, 2010
That’s really cool. I like your idea about making action figures out of the models but I can’t imagine the logistics in making the pieces so it all fits together. Can’t wait to see it if you can make it work.

I started a dorf rogue on green and loving the hell out of the classic era again. I’m having fun taking things slow, making cash selling bone chips, doing fetch quests, and helping out others until I can get some gear together.

Say hi to Dozar.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Slapdash posted:

That’s really cool. I like your idea about making action figures out of the models but I can’t imagine the logistics in making the pieces so it all fits together. Can’t wait to see it if you can make it work.

I started a dorf rogue on green and loving the hell out of the classic era again. I’m having fun taking things slow, making cash selling bone chips, doing fetch quests, and helping out others until I can get some gear together.

Say hi to Dozar.

I have been experimenting with some ball joints/hinges/etc with simple, small models I've made to try and figure out how it would work - it'll be a trial and error process for sure but I like solving those kinds of problems! It'll take cutting apart the models and installing or cutting away various bits but it's definitely doable if I can figure out good ways to handle all the moving parts. I haven't looked up too much documentation on how to design articulated figures but it's bound to be out there!

Also I did have a more successful iksar statue print, even if it really doesn't want to print the sword for some reason - it's also coated in cat hair because that's how life is:

I haven't yet figured out how to export character models but in a stroke of amazing luck I found a working download for a pack of EQ character models that work beautifully and even include animations :getin: So I've started out with a nice little mace-wielding gnoll:

with cat hair included, naturally

The character meshes (and everything else really) have some weird parts that don't really make sense even from the perspective of making very low-poly models, like the ears in the original gnoll were (slightly) 3d but it had doubled up faces on the inside of the model where nobody could ever see and they were partially exploded into individual pieces and stuck together without rhyme or reason so I just deleted and remade them in what is likely to be a reoccurring theme with these models from circa 1999 - maybe they did things differently back then!
Also I'm still no pro at removing all of the remnants of the supports, so some areas (especially on the base) are rough and bumpy. Sanding works it down pretty well but it's noticeable on just the raw plastic. I'm excited to pick up some paints and put some details on these suckers too, I'll start out with some acrylic on brushes but I'd like to be able to work with airbrushes eventually but that's an expense for another day. I'd also like to pick up some gray resin since after curing in sunlight the white turns a pony jar shade of yellow and I'm not a huge fan

e: also i printed a bigger fer'esh but it had some issues:

i'm surrounded by plastic everquest poo poo now

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 19, 2020

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Any other goons interested in forming a static? Currently thinking 8-~11 PM EDT Mon, Tue, Thu, Sun

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Telltolin posted:

This all rules

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Telltolin posted:

Please keep bringing it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Telltolin posted:

I have been experimenting with some ball joints/hinges/etc with simple, small models I've made to try and figure out how it would work - it'll be a trial and error process for sure but I like solving those kinds of problems! It'll take cutting apart the models and installing or cutting away various bits but it's definitely doable if I can figure out good ways to handle all the moving parts. I haven't looked up too much documentation on how to design articulated figures but it's bound to be out there!

Also I did have a more successful iksar statue print, even if it really doesn't want to print the sword for some reason - it's also coated in cat hair because that's how life is:

I haven't yet figured out how to export character models but in a stroke of amazing luck I found a working download for a pack of EQ character models that work beautifully and even include animations :getin: So I've started out with a nice little mace-wielding gnoll:

with cat hair included, naturally

The character meshes (and everything else really) have some weird parts that don't really make sense even from the perspective of making very low-poly models, like the ears in the original gnoll were (slightly) 3d but it had doubled up faces on the inside of the model where nobody could ever see and they were partially exploded into individual pieces and stuck together without rhyme or reason so I just deleted and remade them in what is likely to be a reoccurring theme with these models from circa 1999 - maybe they did things differently back then!
Also I'm still no pro at removing all of the remnants of the supports, so some areas (especially on the base) are rough and bumpy. Sanding works it down pretty well but it's noticeable on just the raw plastic. I'm excited to pick up some paints and put some details on these suckers too, I'll start out with some acrylic on brushes but I'd like to be able to work with airbrushes eventually but that's an expense for another day. I'd also like to pick up some gray resin since after curing in sunlight the white turns a pony jar shade of yellow and I'm not a huge fan

e: also i printed a bigger fer'esh but it had some issues:

holy poo poo this owns lmao

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Will be discussing static group in discord tonight at ~8 PM EDT. Hope is we can group 3 nights a week (TUE/THU/SUN) 8-~11 PM EDT. I'm thinking the group would hopefully last at least ~8-12 weeks. Idea would be to spend the time allotted to be ready to group content and spend downtime between nights on vendor exercises, etc.

Currently there are 7 interested but only 3 have been really confirmed, so if any other interest show up in discord.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
wishing you well, 8-11 PM EDT is 2-5 AM for me but I'll sow yall if i see you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

So we landed on a 6 man static:

Ogre Shadow Knight / Dark Elf Cleric / [Censored]/ Troll Shaman / Barbarian Rogue / High Elf Enchanter (missed the boat to freeport making dinner)

Plan for Thursday is to meet at the EC Tunnel at level 4-5. Should be looking to grab an orc camp in EC (plan B: Befallen, plan C: Misty Thicket).

Was bizarre running around EC as a bunch of naked grouped newbies fighting snakes and armadillos. .