Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

why were they filming this?

Some people like garbage trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Some people like garbage trucks.

Yeah, for the first 3/4 of that video I was all "That's a pretty cool garbage truck."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Yeah, for the first 3/4 of that video I was all "That's a pretty cool garbage truck."

For the last 1/4 it was a pretty hot garbage truck.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Aside from the weird fire explosion, this is just needlessly complicated. Our trash trucks pick up the cart and dump it directly in the back.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

vortmax posted:

Aside from the weird fire explosion, this is just needlessly complicated. Our trash trucks pick up the cart and dump it directly in the back.

I'm pretty sure its dual duty and also picks up dumpsters if you remove the module on the front

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N78b-PBIEU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

vortmax posted:

Yeah, it looks like it really increases the amount of stray trash that can blow out all over the place by dumping it multiple times.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It looks designed so that the driver has a direct line of sight on the bins when picking them up rather than relying on a camera and can also empty a lot of bins before having to pause to empty the big bucket.

All about those KPIs.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The Russians used a smelly guy hanging off the back of the truck.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It looks designed so that the driver has a direct line of sight on the bins when picking them up rather than relying on a camera and can also empty a lot of bins before having to pause to empty the big bucket.

All about those KPIs.

This is exactly it. It's called a Curotto Can.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, it looks like it really increases the amount of stray trash that can blow out all over the place by dumping it multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxmQU9Dvb7c

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

In Republican China, you bring garbage to garbage truck.

Bad Yacov Smirnoff jokes aside, the garbage trucks in Taiwan have a chute on the back for people to dump their garbage in while, I guess, minimizing exposure to the compactor. They even have a musical chime like an ice cream truck so as to notify residents of its presence. I'm not entirely privy on the exact process but I guess once you hear the music, you bring the garbage out to the street and then bring the garbage to the truck which has usually stopped in the middle of a residential street. I'm not entirely sure if the trucks stop at predetermined locations or they just roam around on their routes and the stop when they have a customer; just like an ice cream truck.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

What song would a musical garbage truck play?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Slayer, any song works

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

https://youtu.be/83o1eAS7eiY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beethoven’s “Fur Elise”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRvgmLLlhp0

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The Russians used a smelly guy hanging off the back of the truck.

We used to do that too. Hell they would use 2 or 3 guys.

But this lets them employ less workers.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Still my fave.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Edward IV posted:

In Republican China, you bring garbage to garbage truck.

Bad Yacov Smirnoff jokes aside, the garbage trucks in Taiwan have a chute on the back for people to dump their garbage in while, I guess, minimizing exposure to the compactor. They even have a musical chime like an ice cream truck so as to notify residents of its presence. I'm not entirely privy on the exact process but I guess once you hear the music, you bring the garbage out to the street and then bring the garbage to the truck which has usually stopped in the middle of a residential street. I'm not entirely sure if the trucks stop at predetermined locations or they just roam around on their routes and the stop when they have a customer; just like an ice cream truck.

Reading this post just made me hear my garbage truck jingle in my head.

Usually pickup was at the same spot when I lived in downtown Taipei. There's no signs or anything, just go where everyone is waiting with garbage bags. And you had to toss in your garbage by hand.

If you miss it you're SOL but they're often enough, they hang around for a bit, and usually have a set time, mine was around 9pm. But the music lets you know it's coming at 9:05.

It is good because garbage gets nasty in the heat and having it picked up every day or a few times a week helped.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Who are these assholes putting unbagged garbage directly in the bin

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

BMan posted:

Who are these assholes putting unbagged garbage directly in the bin

In this gif it looks like it's mostly just paper, in which case why would you bag it? It's not leaky or smelly or anything, and you're putting it in a bin already so there's no issue, unless some idiot designs a system where they empty the bin into the open air rather than a larger confined space. Bag food waste and stuff, sure, but dry recycling is totally fine to just put in the bin as is - indeed, if you're using plastic bags they often can't be recycled so you're just making it worse if you do bag it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah recyclable stuff goes in the bin without a bag, because the bags gum up the recycling machines.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All about those KPIs.

Are you sure it's not just because that attachment is cheaper than buying a new wheelie bin truck when you already have a dumpster truck?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_q827zrKoFK1yzx85i.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 3, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm the dude in the lower level checking out dudes collar like drat!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

SAMIR

SAMIR YOU ARE WRECKING THE BOAT

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Russian dash cams strike again

If you ever wanted to know what it looks like when a truck wrecks a bridge in front of you, and you dive into the hole.

https://t.me/bazabazon/3325

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Russian dash cams strike again

If you ever wanted to know what it looks like when a truck wrecks a bridge in front of you, and you dive into the hole.

https://t.me/bazabazon/3325

What the hell kind of a link is that?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Telegram or some other poo poo I don't have.

Here's a YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4A2OlMdUFY

Looking for this I discovered bridges collapsing under a truck are pretty common in that region.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

"#1 Crush" from Garbage

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Russia_NC/status/1246064156404355073?s=19

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

Are you sure it's not just because that attachment is cheaper than buying a new wheelie bin truck when you already have a dumpster truck?

It's a nice bonus to be able to use a Curotto Can truck as a front loader for dumpsters, but it's not the motivating factor. You're not going to use a typical front loader for residential trash collection. They are still two different applications. Front loaders usually have a high seating position so the driver can see the dumpster and a left seat position because most of the driving is on the road between dumpsters. Residential trash collection is usually done from a low and right seat position for better visibility of the bins, so you can drive up to the bins faster. Using a front loader for residential trash collection means higher cycle time/less bins collected per route, means more trucks needed for collecting, means more drivers needed. It's cheaper to buy a more specialized truck at ~200k that will last 10 years than pay more drivers at 50k per year.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The garbage truck was doing that two stage thing because it is picking up recycling, and dumping it in the small thing first allows the operator to see if there is a bunch of not recyclable stuff in it before it mixes with what is in the main compartment.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Memento posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't thought about Icehouse in years. Decades, even.

I thought you meant the beer before I clicked on the link.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

The garbage truck was doing that two stage thing because it is picking up recycling, and dumping it in the small thing first allows the operator to see if there is a bunch of not recyclable stuff in it before it mixes with what is in the main compartment.

What does the driver do if non-recyclable stuff is in there?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

That's the procedure shown in the video

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lurking Haro posted:

Did you not see him set the truck on fire?

E: beaten by seconds lol

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

Light it on fire, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Goddamn texture errors, now I gotta load my save again.
Reticulating splines.