Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'm gonna need some context, when does this take place in the game? After the end?

It's apart of the ending, yeah.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Lol they could have just not done...this...and had a series that printed money for a decade, and now part 2 will probably sell half as well since newcomers won’t know what the gently caress is going on and ff7 purists will hate it on principal.

They could have just squirted out 'HD graphics' and printed money. Also lol if you think Part 2 still wont do gang busters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Onmi posted:

It's apart of the ending, yeah.

They could have just squirted out 'HD graphics' and printed money. Also lol if you think Part 2 still wont do gang busters.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect the balls, I just don’t understand the bait and switch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lol they could have just not done...this...and had a series that printed money for a decade, and now part 2 will probably sell half as well since newcomers won’t know what the gently caress is going on and ff7 purists will hate it on principal.

It's an insanely gutsy move, really. Honestly I hope it pays off and kicks rear end but my gut tells me we're headed for "awful but in an entertaining way." Can't wait to find out, though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it's going to be FF7's skin stretched over Kingdom Heart's body that has custom FF15 cyberware installed to bind it all together

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is almost Kojima levels of crazy I love it

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Harrow posted:

It's an insanely gutsy move, really. Honestly I hope it pays off and kicks rear end but my gut tells me we're headed for "awful but in an entertaining way." Can't wait to find out, though.

Same, honestly, I’ve seen a lot of the game now and for the most part it seems like they’ve rediscovered how to write characters that are fun. I just think ff7 is at its worst, even in the original title, when it gets way too far up it’s own rear end with its mythology.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm guessing they're gonna do the Lightning Returns thing where the whole game is actually just what happened when Holy was cast during the original game and you're all just amnesiac spirit clones making the Big Magic Thing happen by reliving your own memories

lmao

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect the balls, I just don’t understand the bait and switch.

Well, there are several ways.

1. Nomura doesn't want to remake FF7 since he didn't make FF7, so this is as good a way to get him to do the project as any.
2. The thing with Remakes is you need to elicit the same emotional response as the original did, and nostalgia only has so much power. Let's take RE2. RE2RE is not a straight remake of RE2, in fact, it's pretty darn different. but it elicits the same emotional response as you probably got when you were a kid.
3. I kinda think Nomura just likes exploring crazy concepts. doing a FF1 tribute in FF7 probably really appeals.
4. It's not about the money. Again, if it were about the money, they could have done tonnes of cash grabs. They could have kept whatever Cyberconnect made that they scraped to do it all in-house. The fact they did scrap that and decided to focus entirely internally says a lot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm guessing they're gonna do the Lightning Returns thing where the whole game is actually just what happened when Holy was cast during the original game and you're all just amnesiac spirit clones making the Big Magic Thing happen by reliving your own memories

lmao

I’m weirdly leaning towards this. Or this is all somehow playing out in the Lifestream - like Aerith’s post death fever dream to get the planet to destroy Meteor.

E: or gently caress it, part two just begins with Cloud being catatonic in Mideel, with all of this just being more of his brain being broken.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 3, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I could interpret most of this as a way to inject a climax into each part of the project while still maintaining the "same" story, but the Zack thing is way outside of that so I have no idea.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly my theory is that it isn't some coma dream thing, but rather Sephiroth or even Jenova trying to change things somehow. Sephiroth seems to remember the original timeline and Cloud gets flashes of it, so maybe it's Jenova doing time manipulation to try to prevent Aerith's death or mess something else up and make sure the Planet is destroyed this time or something.

This might also be wishful thinking because nothing would annoy me more than "it was all a dream!!!" stuff. I'll take time loop poo poo over that any day.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cloud shows up at the crater with Aeris and Zack who are completely jacked and kick the poo poo out of Sephiroth like the end of that Rick & Morty episode with the devil

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Motto posted:

I could interpret most of this as a way to inject a climax into each part of the project while still maintaining the "same" story, but the Zack thing is way outside of that so I have no idea.

They could've done that just by having a Jenova fight or something, so there's definitely something more going on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Honestly my theory is that it isn't some coma dream thing, but rather Sephiroth or even Jenova trying to change things somehow. Sephiroth seems to remember the original timeline and Cloud gets flashes of it, so maybe it's Jenova doing time manipulation to try to prevent Aerith's death or mess something else up and make sure the Planet is destroyed this time or something.

This might also be wishful thinking because nothing would annoy me more than "it was all a dream!!!" stuff. I'll take time loop poo poo over that any day.

I’d like this, and ironically it might make Aerith’s death hit even harder? Either on some subconscious level she realizes she’s “supposed” to die, or she just predestination paradoxes herself into getting shanked.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

why are you guys spoilering poo poo you made up, in the spoiler thread

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Here's another thing, with Sephiroth fighting Cloud as the final(?) boss of the game.

https://streamable.com/jhbz9l

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I’d like this, and ironically it might make Aerith’s death hit even harder? Either on some subconscious level she realizes she’s “supposed” to die, or she just predestination paradoxes herself into getting shanked.

Yeah, especially if they fake us out, like Aerith survives her original death only to die shortly after because she knows she has to.

I believe they've said in some interview a while back that the major plot points will all still be in place so it might be that things go the same on the large scale but how we get there is very different.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

why are you guys spoilering poo poo you made up, in the spoiler thread

An abundance of caution until the game is actually out everywhere I guess. We're mostly spoilering speculation that uses info from the game I think?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 3, 2020

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

:10bux: down that Aeris doesn't die until the END of the game, when Holy is about to nuke humanity. That way she can be with everyone until the end, and the ancient myth of her appearing in the glacier and at the church comes true.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This is all loving stupid. This is just as bad as the rest of the Compilation that people moan about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Here's another thing, with Sephiroth fighting Cloud as the final(?) boss of the game.

https://streamable.com/jhbz9l

For context he's not the "real" final boss. Arbiter of Fate is. Sephiroth is a one-sided unwinnable stomp fest where he only doesn't kill Cloud because he still needs him to bring the Black Materia to his body in North Crater.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'll buy it when every part is done (in 10 years), all the DLC is out, it's all in one GOTY package together, it has all the patches, it's on PC, and it has enough mods to make it bearable to play (like removing all combat chatter because that garbage got old a long long time ago)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ok so this is all fun and good but lets talk about the gameplay.

Apparently the superbosses are Deepground Behemoth and Proudclod and they’re exclusive to Hard move(which you can’t choose for the first play through).

Also you can fight the summons in some sort of VR battle mode. They may or may not also be superbosses.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RatHat posted:

Ok so this is all fun and good but lets talk about the gameplay.

Apparently the superbosses are Deepground Behemoth and Proudclod and they’re exclusive to Hard move(which you can’t choose for the first play through).

Also you can fight the summons in some sort of VR battle mode. They may or may not also be superbosses.

Yeah I knew those were in the game already from earlier leaks. It seems pretty drat fun and good.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RatHat posted:

Proudclod

huh

you know if they wanted to actually gently caress with people they would have had Cloud wander a corner on some sidequest errand and find himself in Disc 3 Midgar with it burning to the ground and riots in full swing, ending when some massive burst of blinding diamond light obliterates Shinra Tower

like actually have him pass in and out of setpieces to play up whatever the gently caress they're doing

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
On the other hand, the gameplay still looks good, so at the very least it looks like it will be fun to actually play, but not a good story.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also I can’t find where I read it but there are 6 summons+ the 3 pre-order/deluxe edition ones.

Leviathan, Shiva, Ifrit, Fat Chocobo, Bahamut, and 1 I don’t remember. The other 3 being Chocobo chick, Cactuar, and Carbuncle.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RatHat posted:

Also I can’t find where I read it but there are 6 summons+ the 3 pre-order/deluxe edition ones.

Leviathan, Shiva, Ifrit, Fat Chocobo, Bahamut, and 1 I don’t remember. The other 3 being Chocobo chick, Cactuar, and Carbuncle.

Choco/Mog

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

For context he's not the "real" final boss. Arbiter of Fate is. Sephiroth is a one-sided unwinnable stomp fest where he only doesn't kill Cloud because he still needs him to bring the Black Materia to his body in North Crater.

Makes sense. And also, there's this picture.

Is Stamp supposed to be a cartoon dog based on Zack?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

Choco/Mog

Yeah that’s Fat chocobo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Black August posted:

huh

you know if they wanted to actually gently caress with people they would have had Cloud wander a corner on some sidequest errand and find himself in Disc 3 Midgar with it burning to the ground and riots in full swing, ending when some massive burst of blinding diamond light obliterates Shinra Tower

like actually have him pass in and out of setpieces to play up whatever the gently caress they're doing

They don't go that far but they do some poo poo that's pretty close

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*Nomura watches the Twin Peaks season 3 finale*

“I’ve got an idea”

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

They don't go that far but they do some poo poo that's pretty close

I was under the impression that those were visions, and not actually walking through glitches in time, in and out of future/past events. If they're going to gently caress with time itself, they may as well get creative with it, instead of Notheartless making you leap off of floating debris, or tormented dialogue dumps.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

With all the talk of time travel and FFXIII, I was thinking the super boss from XIII-2 was here but that's Arbiter of Time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also the root cause of all this fuckery is Whatever's going on with Cloud and Aerith that let them get flashes that something's up, but also Sephiroth. Everything Sephiroth does in the game is to try and gently caress with the original narrative, and every time he does that the spooky fate ghosts show up to try and fix it and make it like the original game. He's trying to push the party to do something about it.

And it makes sense, because with the Arbiter gone, there's no more predestination. It's anything goes, and that means his odds of actually dropping Meteor and killing everything just went from 0 to a solid 50/50.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Makes sense. And also, there's this picture.

Is Stamp supposed to be a cartoon dog based on Zack?

Stamp's just Shinra propaganda

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alright, I was kind of entertained by the ridiculousness at first, but this is a bit much: https://streamable.com/8bsh95

Also, no one dies from the Plate falling. Everyone is fine and dandy and shows up alive and well in the ending.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 3, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Well...uh...I guess Yoshi P’s new project could still be good lol

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Alright, I was kind of entertained by the ridiculousness at first, but this is a bit much: https://streamable.com/8bsh95

oh wow

Also, no one dies from the Plate falling. Everyone is fine and dandy and shows up alive and well in the ending.

can't wait for the CloudXJessie ending, the OTP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Most important thing here: They show your equipped weapon during cutscenes! Gonna use the nailbat the whole game.