Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So if I understand it correctly, a eurobond would act similar to a debt relief for Italy, at the expense of the EU countries with better ratings?

Is there a mechanism that would prevent Italy from piling up more debt and ending up in the exact same situation ten years down the line? (Especially with a clown populist party so close to power) I think that's the main concern the north has with the whole issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Italy has had a positive cyclically adjusted primary balance 2008-2019 (revenue - spending excluding interest payments) for every single year since 1992 according to the IMF!

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/GGCBP_G01_PGDP_PT@FM/ADVEC/FM_EMG/FM_LIDC/ITA

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It truly fascinastes me how shithole america somehow responds financially to crisis better, like what the gently caress Europe. I went through some lovely times after 2009 in Portugal and was hoping no one else would have to do it in future, but off comes the dutch and the German governments to act like sociopath ghouls.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Celexi posted:

It truly fascinastes me how shithole america somehow responds financially to crisis better, like what the gently caress Europe. I went through some lovely times after 2009 in Portugal and was hoping no one else would have to do it in future, but off comes the dutch and the German governments to act like sociopath ghouls.

Gridlock dude its a helluva austerity stopper

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Celexi posted:

No one — well no one that has a say at least — learnt anything from the Eurocrisis so this was always how it was going to go.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The 2008 crisis was "solved" by austerity measures and the negative effects were spun as being a problem with foreigners coming to steal our jobs and the European government being out of touch. People bought it and rewarded the right wingers in elections. On a personal level it makes sense not to take on more debt to get out of a bad financial situation, people just aren't equipped to understand international financials.

European government is too far removed for people to get that it's their own national governments propping up the austerity measures. In their eyes if their own government is their boss, Europe is the company CEO who doesn't care about peons like them. It's more like the governments being on the board of directors.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

nimby posted:

The 2008 crisis was "solved" by austerity measures and the negative effects were spun as being a problem with foreigners coming to steal our jobs and the European government being out of touch. People bought it and rewarded the right wingers in elections. On a personal level it makes sense not to take on more debt to get out of a bad financial situation, people just aren't equipped to understand international financials.

European government is too far removed for people to get that it's their own national governments propping up the austerity measures. In their eyes if their own government is their boss, Europe is the company CEO who doesn't care about peons like them. It's more like the governments being on the board of directors.

EU Exporting countries are hopeful many will die in the P.I.G.S.L so commercial properties, factories and airports will be on sale. Again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Here's hoping that Greece will stick with its revolution this time.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

punk rebel ecks posted:

Here's hoping that Greece will stick with its revolution this time.

A greek man told me "If turkey invades we will rise up"

Which is a greeks way of saying

"IF the immigrants come, we will shoot em up"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

EU Exporting countries are hopeful many will die in the P.I.G.S.L so commercial properties, factories and airports will be on sale. Again.

Who is the L here?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Orange Devil posted:

Who is the L here?

Liechtenstein

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Orange Devil posted:

Who is the L here?

Luxembourg

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Italy has had a positive cyclically adjusted primary balance 2008-2019 (revenue - spending excluding interest payments) for every single year since 1992 according to the IMF!

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/GGCBP_G01_PGDP_PT@FM/ADVEC/FM_EMG/FM_LIDC/ITA

It's forced into that austerity by its huge debt/interest payments though, right? Would it behave the same way if it actually had the option of spending again? The Euro stability pact is a huge joke and nobody takes it seriously so you can't really rely on it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Eurozone Number getting very sad:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Don't worry lads, we can solve this with another decade of austerity.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Maybe this will finally prompt even the worst austerity hardliners to accept that decisive action mus-hahahahahaha who am I kidding we're riding this into societal collapse

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Don't worry lads, we can solve this with another decade of austerity.

I know how we can solve our debt problem: first, we make sure nobody has any money...

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Orange Devil posted:

I know how we can solve our debt problem: first, we make sure nobody has any money...

*Except for the Wealth Creators.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

wow sorry but sounds like y'all should try tightening your belts a bit

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How do we fix this?

Increase government spending by a massive amount

Keep people's income at the same level to keep consumer spending going.

save tons by not doing this:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

No, a lot of consumer spending is bad and we should do less of the bad things. We can keep government spending though, through a series of initiatives that can maybe build some things that are usefull to the public good,maybe backed by some kind of entity that can print currency.maybe curb consumer spending by turning some of the things that consumers use into public goods.maybe things that we consider vital necessities for the operation of a civilized society.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Candles $3,600

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

How do we fix this?

In these circumstances even this is half-measures. It's time for a command economy.

Basically throw the market out completely and have the government both direct labour where it is needed and as you say, make sure regular people have a decent income guaranteed so as to ensure demand continues to exist. For the foreseeable future this also means decoupling provided labour from income.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Orange Devil posted:

In these circumstances even this is half-measures. It's time for a command economy.

Basically throw the market out completely and have the government both direct labour where it is needed and as you say, make sure regular people have a decent income guaranteed so as to ensure demand continues to exist. For the foreseeable future this also means decoupling provided labour from income.

But Freedom :qqsay:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I mean we could go further and just have the government put everything on rationing stamps and dole those out to people rather than trying to maintain a specific income. Upsides would be that this makes it very clear to everyone that Things Are Going To Be Very Different For A While and also that income has been decoupled from labour. Probably easier to just keep using money right now due to all that infrastructure being in place though.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

There's been several "lockdown-parties" in private homes, where friends and strangers meet to have a good time during the (let's not call it a) lockdown. Police have fined and closed several bars that stayed open behind seemingly locked doors and there's still a high number of new cases of covid-19, but the curve's flattening.

Flanders has its own Donald Trump, a nationalist right-winger who's vocal and gets into slapfights on Twitter, Theo Francken. He was the secretary of immigration under who's watch a member of his own party was selling humanitarian visas to Christians in Syria.

Anyway, there's been calls for giving the police more leeway in shutting down those lockdown-parties and to report people going to their beach homes during the Easter holiday. The right has started to call the measures the first steps of police state communism.

https://twitter.com/lectrr/status/1246010077225648129

For the non-Dutch speaking people:
Left is a tweet by Theo where he says his party is introducing measures to allow police to arrest illegal immigrants in their own home.
Right is a tweet by Theo where he says a home is sacred and police can only be allowed entry after getting a judge to sign off on it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

nimby posted:

For the non-Dutch speaking people:
Left is a tweet by Theo where he says his party is introducing measures to allow police to arrest illegal immigrants in their own home.
Right is a tweet by Theo where he says a home is sacred and police can only be allowed entry after getting a judge to sign off on it.

A typical classic liberal, then. John Locke would be proud.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Junior G-man posted:

I'm going to be a party pooper and say "duh", in fact I'm surprised the fall isn't bigger with how many countries forcibly closed down service industries altogether.

That doesn't mean it's going to be as great of an indicator as normal, since the fall isn't due to falling consumer confidence but due to external factors (though I'm sure confidence fell too but nowhere near as much).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 3, 2020

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

GABA ghoul posted:

It's forced into that austerity by its huge debt/interest payments though, right? Would it behave the same way if it actually had the option of spending again? The Euro stability pact is a huge joke and nobody takes it seriously so you can't really rely on it.

Pretty much. Italy dug a hole for itself during the mid 80s. Most millennials weren't even alive when this debt was made. Thanks to the joy of debts financed in foreign currencies, this means they haven't managed to dig themselves out of that hole, even though they've spent less than they've collected for every year since '92. Of course, everyone knew that before the Euro was established, but no one cared at the time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

golden bubble posted:

Pretty much. Italy dug a hole for itself during the mid 80s. Most millennials weren't even alive when this debt was made. Thanks to the joy of debts financed in foreign currencies, this means they haven't managed to dig themselves out of that hole, even though they've spent less than they've collected for every year since '92. Of course, everyone knew that before the Euro was established, but no one cared at the time.

What happened during the mid '80s exactly? And why?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Orange Devil posted:

What happened during the mid '80s exactly? And why?

If you got a statal job you could retire after twenty years of work. Fifteen if you were a woman with childs.
Imagine going on retirement at 35 and continuing to work on the side for years without paying taxes.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

How do we fix this?

save tons by not doing this:

I'm all for believing this, but this is a crappy correlation. It's essentially a cluster of data with very weak correlation.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I'm all for believing this, but this is a crappy correlation. It's essentially a cluster of data with very weak correlation.

I think you'll find it's conclusive evidence to demand everyone bases policy on.

*grins IMFishly*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

The graph is crappier than I first noticed. The fact is the harder you austerity the lower your GDP goes the runaway effect is your debts are harder to pay with a shrinking economy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My austerity measure would be to have the state confiscate all the wealth of anyone pushing for austerity.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Nth reminder that austerity was based around a paper where they got the basic math wrong.
Can formulate economic programs but can't work Excel sheets? Welcome to the very serious people club!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Nth reminder that austerity was based around a paper where they got the basic math wrong.
Can formulate economic programs but can't work Excel sheets? Welcome to the very serious people club!

The basic math never mattered, economics is a "science" entirely based on petitio principii, circular reasoning, and every other logical fallacy can be harnessed to "prove" that the desired conclusion is an "objective fact". This allows to disguise extremely violent policies behind the supposedly impartial mask of technocracy. "Oh yes, it's unfortunate that we have to enslave entire populations and then rip their still-beating heart out of their ribcages, but economic science shows that this is the only way to get the Sun to rise every day. There are dreamers who want to abolish raids and human sacrifice, but don't listen to them, the economy would crumble if their unrealistic ideas were ever tried."

If you fixed their Excel sheets, they'd just delete it and look for some other arguments that Austerity Is Good.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The graph is crappier than I first noticed. The fact is the harder you austerity the lower your GDP goes the runaway effect is your debts are harder to pay with a shrinking economy.

The solution is more debt thus solving the problem forever.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Owling Howl posted:

The solution is more debt thus solving the problem forever.

Well the Germans thing that's problem solve because then they can buy more airports in the austerity countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well the Germans thing that's problem solve because then they can buy more airports in the austerity countries

The Germans are probably just stunned by the fact that anyone managed to actually build an airport, completely, and have it operate. Buying airports for them, I assume, would be like paying a wizard because you don't want to be on the bad side of their unknowable powers.