Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

zentigeist posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-51952607

I don't know why this really got me this morning, she's so young and had three kids :(

E: I just now noticed they said she died "with Covid-19" so loving annoying man. Her sister said she was normally healthy and she died on a loving ventilator. Nah bro, the BBC are even more full of poo poo than usual.
I dunno I noticed today the Guardian has been phrasing things as 'X died after being diagnosed with COVID'. I think this is just weaselly news phrasing because they're reporting these before anybody has done an official cause-of-death thing rather than some big media conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Died in a so-called pneumonic state.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah as death reporting turns to what the certificate mentioned to account for supposed cases vs absolutely confirmed it'll be "x died with covid" or "x died with presumed covid" based off of the medical professional's opinion

scotland's switching to reporting deaths from certificates from next week so presumably the rest of the uk will as well. that'll increase the accuracy of figures as well as they can't go "well they were never confirmed so let's not count that one"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
In the queue at Sainsbury's to get in and it's long. Hope I can get what I want

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Biggus Dickus posted:

I found Germoloids to be a godsend. Little waxy torpedos about the size of your pinky (unless you have freakishly huge hands) that you stuff up your beanchute. Wet one and wipe the waxiness over your ringpiece before inserting it - takes the edge right off.

And if you can, lay on your back rather than sitting upright until everything's back to normal.

Cut alcohol and coffee(also cola and stuff) for like 2 days

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I baked bread. It wasn’t terrible. But I think I need a bigger loaf tin.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

When is the Labour leadership announcement?

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I'm just hoping something will crack through that really obnoxious arrogance people get in the developed world that "no mass tragedies can happen here" before climate change eats us alive.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Miftan posted:

When is the Labour leadership announcement?

10:45 on Saturday

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

TACD posted:

I think this is just weaselly news phrasing because they're reporting these before anybody has done an official cause-of-death thing rather than some big media conspiracy.

Yea I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy at all, just very cautious reporting.
I guess we're at a stage of the pandemic where it is going to get worse very quickly and once the great British PUBLIC catch wind that they could just die I guess they want to avoid mass panic. It's always frustrating though to see them exercise caution in one instance and chat poo poo in another but that's just the BBC for you I suppose.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

zentigeist posted:

I'm just hoping something will crack through that really obnoxious arrogance people get in the developed world that "no mass tragedies can happen here" before climate change eats us alive.

"Well, we've had one now, so we're not due another one for about so years. Everyone relax now"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oodles posted:

I baked bread. It wasn’t terrible. But I think I need a bigger loaf tin.

Looks good. If you spray a load of water using a misting bottle (like you might use for plants) it makes the crust nice and crispy.

E: spray the water at the time you stick the dough in the oven

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Went out for the first time in a few days to ASDA. They had arrows on the floor that were supposed to guide you around the isles but one arrow went right instead of left and you end up going round in a rectangle so everyone stopped following them. Also there was a dude we was wearing an eye mask as a face mask, who says British innovation is dead!?

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

My wife was able to get an Amazon food delivery yesterday after ad-hoc checking the site in the morning. I guess it depends on your locality on how often shops are getting deliveries (we're in Birmingham) but it might be worth looking to see if you can get pasta and other bits to tide you over.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Looks good. If you spray a load of water using a misting bottle (like you might use for plants) it makes the crust nice and crispy.

I just pour a cup of water in a baking tray in the bottom of the oven.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

knox_harrington posted:

That works really well, otherwise warm up an oven-proof dish in the bottom of the oven when you turn it on. When the bread goes in, chuck in two-ish cups of boiling water, gives the same steam effect. Steam is what really helps get crunchy crust.

Baking bread is a great lockdown pastime - I've got my own sourdough starter now too :) First loaf (little flat but taste is insane):

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

bessantj posted:

Went out for the first time in a few days to ASDA. They had arrows on the floor that were supposed to guide you around the isles but one arrow went right instead of left and you end up going round in a rectangle so everyone stopped following them. Also there was a dude we was wearing an eye mask as a face mask, who says British innovation is dead!?

Local Tesco express has 2 metre squares marked out on the floor and the security guard told me that you have to wait until the other person has finished in their square before moving. Ok, cool. And then a member of staff brushed straight past me from behind! Then there was some bloke rummaging through the sale items for about five mins before I got fed up and walked past him - about a metre away from him - to get milk. I appreciate that people need to shop, but a 'no loving about' rule needs to be enforced with death by fire punishments. And not just during this crisis either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Junior G-man posted:

That works really well, otherwise warm up an oven-proof dish in the bottom of the oven when you turn it on. When the bread goes in, chuck in two-ish cups of boiling water, gives the same steam effect. Steam is what really helps get crunchy crust.

Baking bread is a great lockdown pastime - I've got my own sourdough starter now too :) First loaf (little flat but taste is insane):

time to make your own cultured butter ot go with it

sainburys are selling their deli hams whole and i was very tempted to spend £20 for a 2.3kg one

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

AutismVaccine posted:

Cut alcohol and coffee(also cola and stuff) for like 2 days

SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Been experimenting with making my own Sourdough too and so far none have been as good as this, what flour / recipe did you use for this one?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Dog Pipes posted:

Local Tesco express has 2 metre squares marked out on the floor and the security guard told me that you have to wait until the other person has finished in their square before moving. Ok, cool. And then a member of staff brushed straight past me from behind! Then there was some bloke rummaging through the sale items for about five mins before I got fed up and walked past him - about a metre away from him - to get milk. I appreciate that people need to shop, but a 'no loving about' rule needs to be enforced with death by fire punishments. And not just during this crisis either.

Yeah I just got back from the shops, and was even more aware than usual of not dawdling and leaving my (compulsory) trolley blocking things that others might want to get to. In fairness most other people were good too, but there were a few oblivious wanderers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dog Pipes posted:

Yeah, it was impossible to stay 2 metres away in Asda, I just decided to rush round as fast as possible and get out as soon as I could. At one point several people had clogged up a top part of one isle and the Asda worker waiting to stock that part of the isle looked like she was working out who to kill first.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
A guy I have one Facebook works in a supermarket and is furious because people keep insisting on paying cash and holding notes in their mouths while they count out coins lmao

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Junior G-man posted:

Would be nice to start my sourdough again except I can’t get flour anywhere since the panic buying started.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Quite an amusing thread on the topic of corporate buzzwords:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1245841960486735879?s=20

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Rigorous data models for the right people doing the things that need doing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I went to pick up stuff from my local today. Lots of folks stood far away from each other outside, but loving hell they are not tracking who is coming in early on. It was stupid busy inside, and there were no baked beans at all.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

A guy I have one Facebook works in a supermarket and is furious because people keep insisting on paying cash and holding notes in their mouths while they count out coins lmao
Suddenly having flashbacks to working the checkouts at ASDA and feeling disgusted rage at every person ritually slurping the ends of their fingers while counting out notes and coupons. What a gross and loving useless habit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad that the contactless limit has been raised.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Rigorous data models for the right people doing the things that need doing.
We're going to have the best people doing the right things.

We considered having the worst people doing the wrong things, but the data showed suboptimal results.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Currently in a 75m long queue at the post office, stretching back down the high street. This was after running afoul of changed opening hours yesterday.

Gentle goons, your fudge /will/ be sent out today if I have to stay here all afternoon.

Also I’ve included a minimum of 20% bonus fudge in every parcel to show my gratitude for your forebearance during this unusual time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Camrath posted:

Currently in a 75m long queue at the post office, stretching back down the high street. This was after running afoul of changed opening hours yesterday.

Gentle goons, your fudge /will/ be sent out today if I have to stay here all afternoon.

Also I’ve included a minimum of 20% bonus fudge in every parcel to show my gratitude for your forebearance during this unusual time.

Well that's bloody nice of you :glomp:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jippa posted:

I was clicking through my settings and didn't change anything. Then clicked back to home and it's all back to normal. Not a liked tweet in sight. So weird.

I think this is called A/B testing where they randomly select some users of a site/service/game and force them to have a different version of their product to see how it goes.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1246042407973662721?s=20

Good to hear you're meant to still isolate if you have any symptoms as I've had a cough for the last week but been going to the shops. Is this new information?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

It's gonna be real hard for me to get out of the habit of holding things with my gob.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ThomasPaine posted:

What sort of lunatic puts money in their mouth even when there isnt a Pandemic on. :aaaaa:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Saros posted:

What sort of lunatic puts money in their mouth even when there isnt a Pandemic on. :aaaaa:

OwlFancier posted:

It's gonna be real hard for me to get out of the habit of holding things with my gob.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Given the situation, I wonder how it would go if supermarket workers just unilaterally demanded triple pay and threatened to walk if they didn't get it

Saros posted:

lots of olds are gross and weird, basically

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Vetitum posted:

Been experimenting with making my own Sourdough too and so far none have been as good as this, what flour / recipe did you use for this one?

I used 100% bread flour (i think? I'm in Switzerland and what they sell here is what I think is bread flour but it doesn't translate very well), and used this recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGO1cLw7P6c

I skipped the actual kneading for more shaping to keep the air in, so I got a bit of a UFO shape, still delicious though. Making another one overnight tonight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Immunology pioneer William Frankland has died aged 108. He was one of the last people who remembered the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 and worked with Fleming on penicillin. Lucid to the end as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:rip: you either die with the virus or you die against it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

To the goon who was struggling with the UC system and its authentication. Mine wouldn't authenticate either but seems to have been approved today anyway. :shrug: