Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lots of ambulances going past today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I never knew I'd be so happy to see a moderately well stocked toilet paper aisle

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Watching the BBC news with my parents is honestly the most infuriating thing, like watching someone wrestle with a magic eye puzzle they just can't quite get

'There's only so much money in the country, so how can they afford to do all of this?' is my personal favourite quote so far.

:zizekemoteiwishexisted:

e: the frustrating thing is despite this any time I attempt to talk about the response and how the Tories have hosed us and how money is made up garbage etc it's met with 'oh, can you not politicise this!'

I'm trying but it's like bashing your head against a brick wall that patronises you every time you do it :sigh:

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 3, 2020

Cassiopeia
Feb 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

Lots of ambulances going past today.

I've never heard so many sirens in my town. Dont know if it's because the traffic used to drown it out. Also helicopter has been over last two nights and way more fire engines as we've had massive increases in "accidental" fires.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

Watching the BBC news with my parents is honestly the most infuriating thing, like watching someone wrestle with a magic eye puzzle they just can't quite get

'There's only so much money in the country, so how can they afford to do all of this?' is my personal favourite quote so far.

But the narshnawl credit cawrd, isn't it!! :bahgawd:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

crispix posted:

But the narshnawl credit cawrd, isn't it!! :bahgawd:

They're honestly not at all right-wingers and are generally nice people, just very 'apolitical' and completely ignorant about how that's the product of internalised neoliberal ideology that in practice supports the status quo and all its violence.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

bessantj posted:

Yeah, it was impossible to stay 2 metres away in Asda, I just decided to rush round as fast as possible and get out as soon as I could. At one point several people had clogged up a top part of one isle and the Asda worker waiting to stock that part of the isle looked like she was working out who to kill first.

Look, I can only meditate by falling into a deep and prolonged trance while staring at tins of baked beans, ok?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

They're honestly not at all right-wingers and are generally nice people, just very 'apolitical' and completely ignorant about how that's the product of internalised neoliberal ideology that in practice supports the status quo and all its violence.

People really don't like to think too hard about the fundamentals of money. It's a deeply felt (although largely unconscious) impulse. I've seen so many perfectly intelligent people become visibly uncomfortable when these questions arise and deflect to a different subject without necessarily realising that's what they're doing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The limmy feathers bit except it's "but money's no a social construct"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

In the queue at Sainsbury's to get in and it's long. Hope I can get what I want

Update please, have you bought your mop yet? Honestly you should have purchased one before seeing how far your bidet could shoot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Pistol_Pete posted:

People really don't like to think too hard about the fundamentals of money. It's a deeply felt (although largely unconscious) impulse. I've seen so many perfectly intelligent people become visibly uncomfortable when these questions arise and deflect to a different subject without necessarily realising that's what they're doing.
Or they go off the deep end into 'common sense' but insane simple answers like purestrain gold or bitcoin.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Absolutely. It's really strange, especially as I find that whole discussion really interesting. So many people seem to have this visceral reaction to any sort of critical approach to the concept to the point that they immediately dismiss it and get genuinely upset or angry if you push it even in the most gentle way. Something about fetishistic disavowal in there somewhere, probably, but I cba.

:perfect:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Friday he was remaining in isolation with mild symptoms of the coronavirus, including a high temperature, seven days after he first tested positive.

“Although I’m feeling better and I’ve done my seven days of isolation, alas I still have one of the symptoms, a minor symptom, I still have a temperature,” Johnson said in a video message posted on Twitter.

“So in accordance with government advice I must continue my self isolation until that symptom itself goes,” Johnson said.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All orders have now (finally) shipped! Between the difficulty of obtaining ingredients, the post office being closed more than half the time and everything else going on, not gonna lie, this has been the most difficult month I’ve had to deal with!

But the fudge must go on!

I’m currently putting together a big donation pack to several Doctors I know and their massively overstretched teams. Once that’s done with I’ll be opening up for orders probably in the next ten days or so.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I wonder how much of the liberalism of the old is down to having to deal with physical cash money, or at least things trying real hard to be an electronic simulation of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Absolutely. It's really strange, especially as I find that whole discussion really interesting. So many people seem to have this visceral reaction to any sort of critical approach to the concept to the point that they immediately dismiss it and get genuinely upset or angry if you push it even in the most gentle way. Something about fetishistic disavowal in there somewhere, probably, but I cba.
People get upset about any type of critical theory that hits too close to home though, like with the whole
"games are tru art and should be treated as a part of our culture"
"okay then, let's apply some basic media crit to gender and video games, remember, this doesn't mean they're bad or that you're not allowed to like them, we're just discussing themes"
"feminism is a cancer, I will rape you"
shitfest.

The visceral reaction might be because it threatens to undermine the whole idea of "but this is my money, I earned it" in their own mind, if not in reality. In the same way they get upset about about taxes, which they can see on their payslip, but not about their surplus labor profits, which they can't.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure lots of olds genuinely believe that the treasury has a vault and all the tax money is physically stored in there before being sent in envelopes to whoever based on the budget

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm pretty sure lots of olds genuinely believe that the treasury has a vault and all the tax money is physically stored in there before being sent in envelopes to whoever based on the budget

That's not just an old person thing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

namesake posted:

That's not just an old person thing.

fair point

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

To the goon who was struggling with the UC system and its authentication. Mine wouldn't authenticate either but seems to have been approved today anyway. :shrug:

Yeah I had a call off the UC people this morning for me to confirm a bunch of things, and he's ringing my GF this aft apparently, so that solves some problems.

If anyone's using Adobe CC, jump on their website and log in, you can use the chat box to say I want 3 months free and they'll do it, saved myself £150 this morning.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1245793908476477440
https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1245795275815477248

Jesus Christ.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they also used the wrong schedule from what i read yesterday, impressive fuckup throughout really

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ThomasPaine posted:

e: the frustrating thing is despite this any time I attempt to talk about the response and how the Tories have hosed us and how money is made up garbage etc it's met with 'oh, can you not politicise this!'

I'm trying but it's like bashing your head against a brick wall that patronises you every time you do it :sigh:

It's not politics, it's economics, bay-beeee

My facebook is jammed full of 'please don't politicise this' stuff as if 'politics' only applies to the loony left and magic money trees and other infantilisation of any language outside their sphere of knowledge.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

People get upset about any type of critical theory that hits too close to home though, like with the whole
"games are tru art and should be treated as a part of our culture"
"okay then, let's apply some basic media crit to gender and video games, remember, this doesn't mean they're bad or that you're not allowed to like them, we're just discussing themes"
"feminism is a cancer, I will rape you"
shitfest.

I wonder if this is because for a lot of people the word "criticism" has been corrupted to include only negative criticism, when it should actually be an analysis of both merits and fault. But then it's also because a lot of people are so insanely thin-skinned about the things they like that if you pause to think about, e.g, games for a second, then you can't just be viscerally enjoying them at the basest level like they are, which is... bad somehow? This last bit is something I've never understood - why and how someone's personal enjoyment of something is diminished by the lack of it in the next person :shrug:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they also used the wrong schedule from what i read yesterday, impressive fuckup throughout really

That's the BTP's take on it, along with "and maybe she didn't have a ticket, who knows" but "refused to explain her reason for being at the station" and "literally didn't say a thing so we locked her up for 48 hours and took it that she was pleading guilty" are extremely different.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Wachter posted:

This last bit is something I've never understood - why and how someone's personal enjoyment of something is diminished by the lack of it in the next person :shrug:

BECAUSE THRE WIL BE MORE GIRLS AND GAYS IN GAMES IF FEMINININISM CATCHES ON
FORCED DIVERSITY

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Wachter posted:

I wonder if this is because for a lot of people the word "criticism" has been corrupted to include only negative criticism, when it should actually be an analysis of both merits and fault. But then it's also because a lot of people are so insanely thin-skinned about the things they like that if you pause to think about, e.g, games for a second, then you can't just be viscerally enjoying them at the basest level like they are, which is... bad somehow? This last bit is something I've never understood - why and how someone's personal enjoyment of something is diminished by the lack of it in the next person :shrug:

I think it's a projected feeling of being called a bad person. E.g.

"Friends has several problematic elements, which we should be aware of rather than blindly consuming it. People should do this, then make up their own mind if they want to keep (re)watching it, or bin it"

"Ohhh so you're saying Friends is irredeemable and anyone who watches it is a terrible person??! How dare you!"

Either

a) Because they heard the word "problematic" and switched off, mentally categorising the first person as a feminist SJW

or

b) Because they would feel bad if they were watching a show with potentially sexist/homophobic/transphobic elements without noticing, and they don't feel bad, therefore ERROR

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also because people grow up not knowing what the gently caress feminism, gender studies, or basic critical theory is. I know I didn't, and I only found out through the internet.

I did, fortunately, know the difference between academic literature and utter horseshit, so I was forearmed against some of the total poo poo, but it would be easy for someone who was the product of our education system to get sucked into the orbit of "academia has been cuckolded by the cultural bolshevists, here's my rambling intuition that ignores basic concepts from the past 50 years of dialectical and post-positivist theory to focus entirely on my knee jerk reaction to a woman having opinions (but also facts don't care about your feelings :ironicat:).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

My facebook is jammed full of 'please don't politicise this' stuff as if 'politics' only applies to the loony left and magic money trees and other infantilisation of any language outside their sphere of knowledge.
Yea a nurse I'm friends with posted something along the lines of "I don't need clapping, I need a decade of lost funding and PPE" and some Tory oval office wandered in to say that the clapping was a nice show of support, and he fully supported the NHS of course, but it was neither the time or place to politicise these things. Now more than ever we need to strongly push back against this idea that politics happens over here, and the rest of our lives happens over here.

My partner just found she's been furloughed which is a bit of a surprise as she works in packaging and they've been working on boxes for COVID tests. Sounds like her company is planning on furloughing her for a day or two at a time and then bringing her back even though the minimum duration is clearly stated as 3 weeks; if they try to do that who should she talk to? She's not in a union.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Brenda's going to be having a chat tonight.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52155430

quote:

The Queen will speak to the nation on Sunday about the coronavirus outbreak - only her fourth special address in a time of crisis during her 68-year reign.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Brenda's going to be having a chat tonight.

cool I'm going to be playing videogames and probably drinking but definitely ignoring her

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

TACD posted:

Yea a nurse I'm friends with posted something along the lines of "I don't need clapping, I need a decade of lost funding and PPE" and some Tory oval office wandered in to say that the clapping was a nice show of support

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I hope that it's to announce the death of her husband, and the infection of her and her children.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Oodles posted:

I baked bread. It wasn’t terrible. But I think I need a bigger loaf tin.
bread chat:
https://twitter.com/gloomfather/status/1244367868747186178

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

keep punching joe posted:

I hope that it's to announce the death of her husband, and the infection of her and her children.

She's just going to poo poo on Harry and Meghan for an hour and ignore the pandemic entirely, as a monarch should.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She's going to take a trip to the seaside to turn back the tide of covid

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Wachter posted:

why and how someone's personal enjoyment of something is diminished by the lack of it in the next person :shrug:

I dunno, but ask any of the Star Trek threads on this forum (don't, don't go in them, it's for your own safety)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's an interesting document that appeared on scotgov: Guidance from the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) on treating patients with COVID-19.

i'll quote the work safe relevant parts for how the uk is handling this in a clinical setting on paper:

quote:

6.3 Removal from Isolation
Patients may be considered for removal from isolation if:
- Patient has already been at home or in isolation for 7 days since onset of symptoms.
- Patient has been afebrile for 48 hours
- Patients symptoms are resolving or resolved (excluding cough)
- Patient has had two negative COVID-19 PCR combined throat/nose swab results 24 hours apart with the first repeat sample at least 7 days after the first positive test.

quote:

Patients admitted to hospital where COVID-19 is suspected should have throat and nose swabs sent for PCR testing. The throat is swabbed first and then the nose. Swabs must be either the Virocult or Copan swabs for virology testing. Note that false negatives can occur with the PCR test, if swabs have been inappropriately or poorly taken. A video of how to obtain throat/nose swabs can be viewed here.

If there is a high clinical suspicion of COVID-19, and negative initial tests, repeat sampling is required. Deep respiratory samples (sputum/tracheal aspirate) have a higher sensitivity than nose/throat swabs, so if a patient has a productive cough then sputum should also be sent for COVID-19 testing. Under no circumstances should an induced sputum be performed.

All repeat tests should be discussed with virology and should be done at 48 hours post initial swab. If patients have convincing clinical features of COVID-19, but throat/nose swabs have tested negative by PCR, then it is appropriate to repeat the throat/nose swabs and re-test. Advice from virology and infectious diseases may be useful at this stage.

quote:

If clinical assessment suggests the person has an increased degree of frailty (a CFS score of 5 or more), there is good evidence regarding the expected benefit of critical care organ support. In particular, studies from China, Italy and the UK suggest that people over the age of 70 who are admitted to ICU have a very high (greater than 70%) rate of death. This risk increases with advancing age. Significant cardiovascular, respiratory or other comorbidities confer an even higher likelihood of death, even with intensive care support. To ensure the optimal use of ICU resource, and that patients are not subjected to futile interventions of no benefit, a realistic assessment of outcomes for different treatment options must be communicated to patients, their families or carers in order to facilitate shared decision-making. Decision support tools (where available) may be useful to inform both patients and clinicians.

quote:

7.4 Non-invasive ventilatory support
All forms of non-invasive ventilatory support are aerosol generating procedures and should only be carried out in an appropriate clinical area by trained staff wearing appropriate PPE.

7.4.1 Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)
There is increasing evidence that there may be a role for CPAP in either preventing or delaying the need for mechanical ventilation in patients with respiratory failure due to COVID 19 infection. Use of CPAP must be under the direction of senior critical care or respiratory medicine clinicians.

7.4.2 High Flow Nasal Oxygen (HFNO)
HFNO is not currently recommended in COVID-19 patients based of lack on efficacy, risk to staff from aerosol generation and high oxygen consumption.

7.4.3 Non-invasive Ventilation (NIV)
Non-invasive ventilation or BiPAP is not recommended for use in COVID-19 outwith standard indications i.e. acute on chronic hypercapnic respiratory failure.

quote:

NSAIDs should be used with caution in patients who may have COVID-19, however if the patient is in the last days of life their use may be appropriate.

there's also this visual guide: https://www.gov.scot/binaries/conte...pril%2B2020.pdf
i haven't seen a similar visual on clinical features elsewhere so can't judge but hey they're the professionals so it has to be based on some data

the scotland briefing was a few hours ago and had some gems in it as well: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BRJjQWvEmjGw
- the 100k pledge was brought up. in nhs scotland there's currently 1900 tests/day capacity which will rise to 3500/day by the end of the month. there's testing done outside of there and the topic kept being turned around to the uk aiming for 25k for end of the month if we're comparing on the same basis - the 100k figure is including outside nhs capacity which all 4 bodies are working on
- there were 200k vulnerable people to be lettered, but that's now revised to 120k after de-duplication, letters are out to 110k of them now
- some schools will be kept open over the holiday for key workers children
- on peak being "in a week" - political side: extreme emphasis that there is no data to show that, do not listen to the media on this as there's a false expectation being made, everyone wants this to be over soon but we don't have anything to show that will be the case
- cmo was even clearer: we don't have the data to support that. we may have data over the next 2-3 weeks to get an idea, but current shift is from mathematical models to real-world data in changing how to inform strategy that is locally relevant. now is not the time to think this will be over soon - we have always said many months will be needed to get on top. issue is the virus resurfacing if we relax and the public become less stringent on measures. mention of other countries doing this and being hit with a worse peak than wave 1.

so if you want to hear about what SAGE are actually telling every CMO before it gets political filters look at the scotland briefing imo. there may be some similarity in what i've been saying that their advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Junior G-man posted:

If Sir Keir is dumb enough to step into this shitshow as a 'national unity' thing, the press and Tories will have found their victim.

I started typing "he wouldnt be that stupid" and stopped