Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Frog Act posted:

yeah this sucks

I had a PS1 as a kid, I remember games from that era, and have even attempted to play some recently, and it's very difficult. like PS2 era poo poo holds up a lot better, the FFX / X-2 HD remake was great and very playable, but that just isn't the case for me and PS1 stuff

I guess I could try the PC version but I was really looking forward to finally playing FFVII but with modern graphics

FF7 still holds up as long as you don’t mind the little LEGO men. PS1 games had some of the most beautiful pre rendered art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Remakes are never ever ever greenlit without marketing to new fans. Marketing to existing fans only is a recipe for disaster. Consider...

FFVII sold lets say 10 million....of those not everyone liked it...of the people who liked it 20 years ago, not all have PS4s...of those that have PS4s or whatever console it will be released not all may still be into gaming like they once were...and finally of those left, they may not like the changes...and of those left, many may not like the subsequent parts.

Every remake / reboot is created with the intention of repeating the lightning in a bottle with a new generation of fans.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Guys, pack it up. New players won't like this because I'm mad that they didn't make the original again shot for shot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So, I think it’s Cloud and company have to remake the events of the original game, in spite of future Sephiroth trying to change the timeline.

If that’s where this is going, then...I’m in?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

So, I think it’s Cloud and company have to remake the events of the original game, in spite of future Sephiroth trying to change the timeline.

If that’s where this is going, then...I’m in?

I think this is most likely it yeah. Although it remains to be seen if they'll succeed in maintaining everything as it used to be.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

Guys, pack it up. New players won't like this because I'm mad that they didn't make the original again shot for shot.

I dont think anyone has said new players wont like it. I actually think there is a better chance that new players will like it more than previous fans because they wont be hindered by the nostalgia bias and will judge it based on its own merits.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

I don’t think anyone is saying this?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

GoGoGadget posted:

No I meant like if the plot is already heavily referencing things that you dont actually find out about in the original until the very end of the game like Zack dying with the expectation you already know what happened to him and understand the subversion of him not dying then you dont really get a payoff from that

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

How is no one saying this? People are decrying the game a failure already and stating it not being able to attract new players is one of the reasons

Wolfsheim posted:

No I meant like if the plot is already heavily referencing things that you dont actually find out about in the original until the very end of the game like Zack dying with the expectation you already know what happened to him and understand the subversion of him not dying then you dont really get a payoff from that

Understandable. I think they could have been more clear about this being a sequel so any new players knew to play the original first, sure. But I'm glad they didn't, as someone who has played it, because of the surprise.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 3, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

It's more along the lines of "new players won't understand what the gently caress is happening and various moments that are designed to be impactful will have no impact because they won't know what's going on or why it matters".

GoGoGadget posted:

How is no one saying this? People are decrying the game a failure already and stating it not being able to attract new players is one of the reasons

I mean, it's not already a failure, but it has the potential to be one. And if it does turn out to be a failure, I imagine part of the reason would be because all of the people going "I'm going to play the remake instead of the original" play it and end up with a game that very much assumes you have played the original and know what happens in it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its not like those moments wont be explained. The question shifts from what is happening to why; between someone thats never played the original to someone that has.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
For the record I am all in on them doing a Twin Peaks s3 and just throwing it all out there with no apologies, my only concerns are

(1)Twin Peaks s3 was critically acclaimed but not exactly the smash hit that would financially prop up a company that spent the last ten years pouring money into a fire labeled 'Final Fantasy XV'

(2)Sometimes when Square throws it all out there with no apologies you get Dirge of Cerberus

But honestly everything I've played so far has been above and beyond so I'm hopeful they dont gently caress this up! The fact that they're actually getting Cloud right instead of having him be a mopey goth kid is making me optimistic!

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Understandable. I think they could have been more clear about this being a sequel so any new players knew to play the original first, sure. But I'm glad they didn't, as someone who has played it, because of the surprise.

The main thrust of the criticism is that the new details will be opaque for people new to ff7 and its lore, I don’t think anyone has said it’s a definite failure or whatever. Hell, I’m pretty sure square has already made a handsome profit from preorders alone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As a huge fan of the original, I’m glad the remake is turning out to be new and hopefully weird as poo poo, because that’s the “feel” of the original even if the story ends up being different.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

(2)Sometimes when Square throws it all out there with no apologies you get Dirge of Cerberus

This is really all I’m worried about. It’s too early to call, but I’m worried they’ll lean way too hard into the themes and tone that made a lot of the compilation so dire.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I assume a lot of newcomers would just figure that those moments that don't make sense would be explained in the subsequent parts. Especially since it seems like there's certainly enough stuff in the overall package that'd be palatable to newcomers?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just want them to slow their loving roll a little bit, it's a fine idea for a remake but it's obnoxious as hell to see them blow their load as quickly as possible with HEY REMEMBER THIS ICONIC SCENE? AND THIS ONE? REMEMBER AERIS DIES? HEY, LOOK IT'S SEPHIROTH! LOOK THERE HE IS AGAIN! HERE HE IS AGAIN. AND AGAIN! HE'S TALKING NOW LOOK LOOK IT'S HIM, LOOK, IT'S THE ICONIC ENDING SCENE WHERE CLOUD FIGHTS HIM IN HIS MIND! LOOK SEE REMEMBER SEE??

like gently caress me, just, slow the hell down and try to build intrigue instead of parking a party bus on top of everything

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
I can't see them pulling off a satisfying narrative with this twist without just going loving 1000% insanity and if that's the direction hell i'm here for it

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
the gameplay looks actually fun (a rarity for jrpgs perhaps???) and the changes sound cool if they do it right but I wanna echo the person worried about throwing in time loop craziness on top of an already pretty wacky story involving clones and body snatching and hallucinations when the last entry in this series, FFXV, could barely tell its own pretty straightforward story

also it's okay to be wary of the coherence of a jrpg plot because I don't think anybody plays anything from this genre for the gameplay really. I'd argue if you go into a jrpg made within the last 15 years expecting a stellar gameplay experience you're probably setting yourself up for disaster but once again ff7re looks cool in that regard

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

"new players won't understand what the gently caress is happening and various moments that are designed to be impactful will have no impact because they won't know what's going on or why it matters".

I mean this all sounds pretty faithful to the original

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Harrow posted:

It'll all be worth it when Sora, Donald, and Goofy tumble out of a portal in part 2 and give Cloud a keyblade

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I don't understand why new players would be confused by things that are changed from the original. How would they even know?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Pyrus Malus posted:

the gameplay looks actually fun (a rarity for jrpgs perhaps???) and the changes sound cool if they do it right but I wanna echo the person worried about throwing in time loop craziness on top of an already pretty wacky story involving clones and body snatching and hallucinations when the last entry in this series, FFXV, could barely tell its own pretty straightforward story

also it's okay to be wary of the coherence of a jrpg plot because I don't think anybody plays anything from this genre for the gameplay really. I'd argue if you go into a jrpg made within the last 15 years expecting a stellar gameplay experience you're probably setting yourself up for disaster but once again ff7re looks cool in that regard

Tbf there were a lot of overlapping factors that made FFXV the clusterfuck it was, and this game’s development hasn’t been as troubled.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Huh, well, I guess the last two lines of the lyrics for Hollow, the new ending theme, make a lot more sense now. :v:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

canepazzo posted:

I don't understand why new players would be confused by things that are changed from the original. How would they even know?

Well, like the Zack stuff. Without knowing who he is, it all seems like it would just be either confusing or just totally lacking impact. Who is this guy, why should I care about him, etc.?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

Well, like the Zack stuff. Without knowing who he is, it all seems like it would just be either confusing or just totally lacking impact. Who is this guy, why should I care about him, etc.?

So here's how I see it.

Zack's not dead, he's alive.

Old players: oh my god, the guy that was dead in the original is alive now? All bets are off then!

New players: oh my god, the one true love of Aerith is alive? Now that Aerith and Cloud were starting to get close to each other? Love triangle?!??!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OctoberCountry posted:

I mean this all sounds pretty faithful to the original

Yeah I think people are forgetting how loving weird and confusing FF7 was when first released.

We’ve had over two decades to think about it and it’s still mildly bizarre. This game are sick.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

They'd see that he has a sword just like Cloud's so that'd be enough to at least come up with a reason some would care about (This guy looks like he has something to do with Cloud, what's his deal?). And if it's not explained in the first game they'd probably assume that it would be explained eventually.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Gonna be honest, I’m kinda coming around on all this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I've very recently learned is that there's a very vocal contingent of Crisis Core superfans on Reddit who have strong opinions about the way Zack is portrayed.

One of them was even annoyed that Cloud could use non-Buster Sword weapons in this because of how important the Buster Sword is to Cloud and Zack's relationship, despite, y'know, having tons of non-Buster Sword weapons in the original.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Why was Red XIII so mean to Barrett in the trailer? :(

Look, Nanaki had a long day and Barret's talking mad poo poo for someone in timeline changing distance.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PT6A posted:

Yeah I think people are forgetting how loving weird and confusing FF7 was when first released.

We’ve had over two decades to think about it and it’s still mildly bizarre. This game are sick.

I think this is why they’re doing this. We’ve had so much time to dissect the original that a 1:1 remake would be fun, but predictable.

They want to recreate that feeling of pure mindfuck for the OG fans too, even if it twists things a bit. I’m actually cool with it (if they can pull it off).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

canepazzo posted:

Old players: oh my god, the guy that was dead in the original is alive now? All bets are off then!

I mean, if your knowledge of the game is based purely off of the original, I kinda doubt you'd know about this guy considering how infrequently he's shown.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just watched the launch trailer and they turned the weird house enemy into a boss??? Hahaha that owns

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

You want to know what made this a day 1 buy for me? It was so nice to play an RPG where I didn't have to open an individual looting menu for each enemy I killed, then go into my inventory and sort out useless garbage and crafting and eighteen pieces of RNG-rolled weapons and armor/accessories. I killed some enemies, picked up some potions (they stack up to 99 without having to worry about inventory space!), and I went on to keep playing the game. I missed it so much.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gameplay-wise I have no reservations about this at all. It looks insanely fun, the demo was great, and I'm sure I'll have a blast with it.

The story's gonna be nuts and honestly I'm looking forward to it. gently caress it, let's go on Nomura-san's Wild Ride.

Anyone know when the pre-load starts for US?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also, I'm surprised not to see more reactions in the YouTube comments to the "new" things in the launch trailer, like the Arbiters of Fate being named, Aerith talking about how they're loving with her, and, oh yeah, Barret getting stabbed by Sephiroth.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Do people think New players are dumb. Or that they won't explain what's happening in the game, if not in this "episode" eventually.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Harrow posted:

Gameplay-wise I have no reservations about this at all. It looks insanely fun, the demo was great, and I'm sure I'll have a blast with it.

The story's gonna be nuts and honestly I'm looking forward to it. gently caress it, let's go on Nomura-san's Wild Ride.

Anyone know when the pre-load starts for US?

Preload started for me this morning.

E: EST if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

There's nothing in the game that will be as impactful on a new player as it is to a fan. There's no harm in introducing Zack as a mysterious figure when you have other games to explain the situation. If that was the last time we see Zack in this series then it was the wrong route to go but there's obviously still a lot of story to tell.