Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vargatron posted:

I should totally do the comedy option and get an A+ cert during this whole work from home thing.

My boss wants us all to get Security+ (which is, I know, a bit more useful than A+.) They're willing to pay for it and training materials, so I guess I'll be doing that.

Zero VGS posted:

Crosspost from the VR thread, if anyone wants I made a 60 second loop of the rooftop scene from Alyx that you can use as an animated Virtual Background for Zoom.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki58rtsw3zvwv7o/AlyxZoomLoop.mp4?dl=0

Cool, may use that.
I'm annoyed that FaceRig doesn't seem to work with Zoom. Just get a black screen when I point Zoom to the virtual camera. Ah, well.

Thanks Ants posted:

No support guys, 'I made some changes' is not an acceptable resolution note.

I try to avoid poo poo like that in my tickets because I just *know* I'm going to have to look back at some point and figure out what I did to fix it last time. I'm helping future me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just had to do a test Skype meeting with a Council member.
I heard the words "Why can't I see you" and I gulped.
I didn't have any presentable thing I could show him and I don't have a green screen.
Hell I don't even have an office. I'm just set up with a pile of electronics on my grandma's antique dining table and a half busted office chair I scored from a dumpster 6 or 7 years ago.
I had to bite the bullet and present video of my shitheap of an unfinished basement complete with extension cable running from the water heater plug because I don't have power (or even walls) anywhere.

Also there's the matter of personal appearance. I didn't exactly put on a suit for the occasion, but it's chilly down here so at least I was wearing pants.

He was gracious and commented on how he was impressed with my desk setup; antique brass lamp, large diaphragm mic and boom, decent usb audio interface etc... He didn't say anything about the fishing poles or piles of gun cases in the corner.. or piles of boxes, or stacks of speakers and amps, or giant empty server rack, or clearly unused sports equipment, boxes of cat 6, bins of cables, IP phones, buckets of cherry logs, you get the idea; basement poo poo.

Then he turned on his video and I felt much better about myself.

We're all human after all.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Everyone is getting to meet my cats via Teams :3:

Thanks for the tip on Pluralsight!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I didn't have any presentable thing I could show him and I don't have a green screen.
Hell I don't even have an office. I'm just set up with a pile of electronics on my grandma's antique dining table and a half busted office chair I scored from a dumpster 6 or 7 years ago.
I had to bite the bullet and present video of my shitheap of an unfinished basement complete with extension cable running from the water heater plug because I don't have power (or even walls) anywhere.

Also there's the matter of personal appearance. I didn't exactly put on a suit for the occasion, but it's chilly down here so at least I was wearing pants.

He was gracious and commented on how he was impressed with my desk setup; antique brass lamp, large diaphragm mic and boom, decent usb audio interface etc... He didn't say anything about the fishing poles or piles of gun cases in the corner.. or piles of boxes, or stacks of speakers and amps, or giant empty server rack, or clearly unused sports equipment, boxes of cat 6, bins of cables, IP phones, buckets of cherry logs, you get the idea; basement poo poo.

try https://chromacam.me

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Welp. Who’s hiring? I do kubernetes and kubernetes related things.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:rip:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

poo poo, sorry dude.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The word's gotten out that you know the mayor.

They'll be casually inviting you to the yacht club next.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

Eks is going to steal your job

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

Friendly reminder that for any covid19 business continuity meetings you get pulled into, when somebody starts talking about single points of failure and bus factors, that has the dual purpose of identifying redundancy and who can be laid off with minimal business impact.

Just remember all corporations are soulless monsters and the only courtesy they will ever extend is asking how long of a rope you'd like when they hang you. Please represent knowledge sharing and business tolerance of missing personnel accordingly.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Where do you live?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
In an economy where everyone is working from home, I'd hope we could learn the lesson that where you live shouldn't matter.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I still dress for work so I don't go insane.

However, nobody will ever see me, because I don't own a webcam and never will, gently caress you.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Maybe he's pricing out COL for the area he lives in?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've basically worn gym shorts for the last two weeks working from home.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Antigravitas posted:

I still dress for work so I don't go insane.

However, nobody will ever see me, because I don't own a webcam and never will, gently caress you.

I've worn pants the entire time, except for cargo shorts the one hot day, and occasionally shoes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
PJ bottoms and a work top for me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just do the sports interview routine where you're wearing a tie and blazer on top then a bath towel on the bottom.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Vargatron posted:

Just do the sports interview routine where you're wearing a tie and blazer on top then a bath towel on the bottom.

I like that you are professional enough to bother with the towel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Sorry man :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
No messages. :(

I can't say that they're hiring but I know DataRobot does a lot of kubes poo poo and have been hiring until recently (but that's true for everyone). There's a guy in YOSPOS who works for them.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’m in San Antonio but I work remote jobs. I’m upset but I’m not as bad off as most people. I’ve got some severance and emergency fund and I’m still healthy so I’ve got that going for me.

Just sucks cause I figure it’ll be a few months before anyone starts hiring again.

Guess I’ll start drinking

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jaegerx posted:

You have to "start"? Who stops?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

I’m in San Antonio but I work remote jobs. I’m upset but I’m not as bad off as most people. I’ve got some severance and emergency fund and I’m still healthy so I’ve got that going for me.

Just sucks cause I figure it’ll be a few months before anyone starts hiring again.

Can I outsource my job to you. I'll pay you half for only doing 75% of the work.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

Can I outsource my job to you. I'll pay you half for only doing 75% of the work.

Do i have to talk to your coworkers and bosses?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

Do i have to talk to your coworkers and bosses?

I don't even talk to my coworkers and bosses.

5 text scrum updates a week where you copy paste the same jira ticket that you're working on every day.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 3, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I don't even talk to my coworkers and bosses.

5 text scrum updates a week where you copy paste the same jira ticket that you're working on every day.

God your job sucks so much

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

God your job sucks so much

Not talking to people is a feature not a bug.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Does anyone have a good mechanism to daisy-chain batch programs in windows?

I have four scheduled tasks that currently run one at a time over the course of an hour, every hour. I'd like to optimize the work flow a bit more so that The first one fires, then when it completes two tasks fire simultaneously, and then the fourth task completes when both have completed.

Anyone have an easy way to achieve this without having to combine and/or rewrite four script files?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do your other tasks create event log entries when they complete successfully?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
They dump log entries into a database. But they don't produce log files.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I was in the bathroom reflecting on my last half-roll of toilet paper I thought of what the actual problem was with a total non-sense network issue I was having.

I was having ephemeral port exhaustion with one particular microservice which is both, because Golang, ridiculously aggressive about opening a ton of sockets(and not reusing them?) each to a ton of kafka brokers and doesn't bubble up errors well.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The joke is that I was exhausting my ephemeral port while thinking about ephemeral ports

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I have four scheduled tasks that currently run one at a time over the course of an hour, every hour. I'd like to optimize the work flow a bit more so that The first one fires, then when it completes two tasks fire simultaneously, and then the fourth task completes when both have completed.

Anyone have an easy way to achieve this without having to combine and/or rewrite four script files?

A) are you amenable to adding a few lines to the end of script 1 and the beginning of script 4?
B) I might be wrong on this, it's been a while since I've made batch scripts, but you should be able to have the first script call the last three at the end, then have the fourth script wait until both 2 and 3 aren't in the task or process list, depending on where they show up (this is where I'm foggy on how batch scripts work, like I said I've barely touched them since 2016, and even then it was mainly a wrapper to get around psexec being locked down on the machines I needed to work on) before running.

Edit: Or if you didn't want to edit the existing scripts, you could write a wrapper Powershell script that calls the batch files, but that's assuming you can have it pipe some sort of output from the batch files into the Powershell script, then you do the wait (approximate amount of time you expect 2 and 3 to take) before running 4 so you don't have it hanging around for longer than needed, then another short wait if the piped output from both 2 and 3 isn't there yet, looped of course.

That's also assuming that you can run a batch file from a Powershell file asynchronously and still get it to pipe in the output when it's done. Which I think you can, but it's been a long time since I've done much with Powershell either.

Sorry if these ideas are dumb, I'm sleep deprived.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 4, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I believe you can write to and read text files from batch? If so, use an output as a variable and end both Task B and Task C with the same thing. Some batch equivalent of

if Number == 0 (
Number = 1
end
)

if Number == 1 (
Number = 0
execute task D
end
)

Then it doesn't matter which script finishes first, and it's always back to 0 when it's done.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 4, 2020

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Agrikk posted:

ansible-local is well equipped to do this and also with arbitrarily complex execution graphs and concurrency

you'd have to run it from WSL or cygwin though

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Methanar posted:

The joke is that I was exhausting my ephemeral port while thinking about ephemeral ports

You open a random hole on your body when you need to exhaust? :psyduck: That's...quite the trick - you might be able to teach Mr. Johnson ( :rip: ) a thing or two.

In other news:

https://citizenlab.ca/2020/04/move-fast-roll-your-own-crypto-a-quick-look-at-the-confidentiality-of-zoom-meetings/

Zoom...rolled their own crypto.

Not only that, they did the thing where they get paid a bunch of money and then turn around and pay a couple Chinese companies to do the work, so the key escrow for meetings is sometimes done through Chinese servers. :psypop:

I had been kind of defending Zoom because of the ease and quality of the videoconferencing even after the Mac webserver backdoor thing last year and even when last week everyone went nuts about it not actually being end to end encrypted and only TLS encrypted for transport (I hadn't expected it to be end to end anyway given the demands of videoconferencing and I'm somewhat surprised that apparently Apple has end to end working with group Facetime), but, uh, even the encryption Zoom DOES have is poo poo and can be easily intercepted and eavesdropped on.

Everything is stupid.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Super Soaker Party! posted:

You open a random hole on your body when you need to exhaust? :psyduck: That's...quite the trick - you might be able to teach Mr. Johnson ( :rip: ) a thing or two.

In other news:

I had an epiphany while exhausting my statically allocated port.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

We went from Monday we have plenty of money to Friday "We gotta drop 30% of our employees" Either my leadership are morons or liars. Probably both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

my internet went out 2 hours after i went to bed at 9am.

spent almost all day troubleshooting. the cable modem was fine, the router worked and said it was getting signal.

spent hours on the phone with my ISP and the modem manufacturer.

hours of sleep lost.

randomly thought of unplugging one CAT5 that went to a raspberrypi that serves as my NAS

immediately fixed everything.

unbelievable.

but now my raspberrypi has some kinda seg fault on the sd card.

and then my wife says her cell phone is broken, cycling between 'looking for signal' and 'no SIM card'

i've spent more time today troubleshooting my personal tech support than i've done so far tonight.

patching, on the other hand, went fine tonight, no chaos in the DC or the NOC. the world has officially gone insane