Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Horrible Brain Failures?

There was a fast section of road where I grew up with a nice sweeping 70mph curve with decent visibility. I came around it one night after being gone all day only to discover that they had scarified the asphalt for repaving and left a ton of loose gravel and stone everywhere. I immediately went sideways after hitting it and did a nice 180 before sliding to a halt. Stayed on the road, though, so call it a win?

I was stubborn then, and stupid, this was not my last incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah this is what ive seen too. the only people out driving are the people who already rolled through stop signs and now they're emboldened because there's nobody out there to hit

No cop no stop, inshallah

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah this is what ive seen too. the only people out driving are the people who already rolled through stop signs and now they're emboldened because there's nobody out there to hit

definitely true, i see tons of people just blowin stop signs, making illegal turns, etc

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

definitely true, i see tons of people just blowin stop signs, making illegal turns, etc

One could argue that a significant portion of the people out driving around are the same folks who still think that COVID-19 is a hoax or no worse than the flu, given that they *are* out driving around. So, you know, stupid self-centered assholes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Darchangel posted:

One could argue that a significant portion of the people out driving around are the same folks who still think that COVID-19 is a hoax or no worse than the flu, given that they *are* out driving around. So, you know, stupid self-centered assholes.

true, i never really thought of that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Yes, most of us live in the United States.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on the roads because I'm "essential". But it's funny how the essential employees are being treated as the most disposable as capitalists and politicians are willing to sacrifice our health on our behalf without asking first.

Also I was kidding about the speeding thing. I travel 10 over the speed limit and get passed by people do an additional 10-15 faster than I. I also still encounter congestion somehow. It's like this whole state shutdown is just a facade to make people think politicians care about people more than money.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 2, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Midjack posted:

Yes, most of us live in the United States.

Yes, but my point is that the concentration is higher due to reasonable people staying home and not diluting the stupid, you see?

Edit: I do get your meaning, though.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

um excuse me posted:

It's like this whole state shutdown is just a facade to make people think politicians care about people more than money.

HEY GUYS, POLITICIANS SURE ARE BAD AM I RIGHT?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well according to a cop I know, she isn't stopping anyone

And another service she talked to said they're not stopping anyone either

So it is literally a free-for-all on the highways around here

They still position like they were doing radar and stuff but no one is actually chasing anyone to pull them over, apparently

Although she had a group of motorcycles give her the finger and sprint away, turn around to do it again, and then burn out doing wheelies

I guess now is the time to really be an rear end in a top hat!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

My wake up moment was pretty early on.. was 18 or 19. It was mid winter up in Alaska so there was a couple inches of packed snow/ice on all the roads. I was cheerfully cruising way too fast through an S section of road when I come around the last corner and see a wall of traffic stopped at a red light. It was physically impossible to stop in time and if I did hit someone it would have been somewhere between 30-40mph.

Mine was on Grizzly Peak Boulevard in Berkeley. That's a barely two lane winding hilltop road with a really nasty drop on one side. I had taken driver's ed in high school locally, and grizzly Peak featured in several horror stories in that class; including a quadruple fatality accident that involved a car dropping almost straight down through some poor SOB's roof

My turn came late one night on my way home from a party with my fiance and best friend in the car. I'd had a couple of beers and hit a joint, so I'm comfortable but not feeling remotely impaired. On the way home I hit a patch of sand on a curve and lost the rear end. I actually remembered my training and turned into the skid. Pointing the front wheels at the guard rail is the scariest thing I've ever done, but it saved our lives. I pulled into the first driveway I came to and just shook for a few minutes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The police here in Australia announced they weren't going to do breath testing stations anymore, and then went "uhh, but, umm, we totally trust Australian drivers to be responsible and not take advantage of this", demonstrating they know nothing about Australian drivers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Mine was on Grizzly Peak Boulevard in Berkeley. That's a barely two lane winding hilltop road with a really nasty drop on one side. I had taken driver's ed in high school locally, and grizzly Peak featured in several horror stories in that class; including a quadruple fatality accident that involved a car dropping almost straight down through some poor SOB's roof

My turn came late one night on my way home from a party with my fiance and best friend in the car. I'd had a couple of beers and hit a joint, so I'm comfortable but not feeling remotely impaired. On the way home I hit a patch of sand on a curve and lost the rear end. I actually remembered my training and turned into the skid. Pointing the front wheels at the guard rail is the scariest thing I've ever done, but it saved our lives. I pulled into the first driveway I came to and just shook for a few minutes.

hah, i also had my closest-to-death come-to-jesus moment on grizzly peak

i was riding a motorcycle when i was still new to the whole thing and outrode my sightlines around a turn with an unexpectedly decreasing radius, and in my stupidity and lack of experience i crossed the yellow line...just as two cars were coming the other direction. i went between them, behind one and in front of the other, with literally inches to spare. didn't hit anything and kept the bike upright until i ran onto the opposite shoulder, then fell over when my legs gave out. one of the drivers got out and screamed at me and i was literally sitting in the dirt going "oh my god, i know, i know, i'm so sorry"

don't outride your sight lines

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blue On Blue posted:

Well according to a cop I know, she isn't stopping anyone

And another service she talked to said they're not stopping anyone either

So it is literally a free-for-all on the highways around here

They still position like they were doing radar and stuff but no one is actually chasing anyone to pull them over, apparently

Although she had a group of motorcycles give her the finger and sprint away, turn around to do it again, and then burn out doing wheelies

I guess now is the time to really be an rear end in a top hat!

Two good reasons to stay home then!

I'm essential and I'm grateful to earn money right now but boy did I wish I didn't have to. I still see people when I travel to and from work when I'm not at home and it really makes me wonder what traffic could be like if those who didn't need to be in an office weren't or used public transportation or both. Certainly not this nice but definitely better.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Last page but

:rip: Paul Walker Toddler.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Memento posted:

The police here in Australia announced they weren't going to do breath testing stations anymore, and then went "uhh, but, umm, we totally trust Australian drivers to be responsible and not take advantage of this", demonstrating they know nothing about Australian drivers.

Unless you live in NSW. They have caught some corkers though over the last week. .211 analysis and going 45 km/h over the speed limit being one example.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think they're still doing random breath testing, just not setting up booze buses.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Memento posted:

The next Dashcam Owners video is going to be amazing.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/9HTeAEY.mp4

:supaburn:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That seems overly complicated that collection mechanism

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Who designed that? Rube Goldberg?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

You Am I posted:

It's a pretty standard front end loader like you'd find on any tractor or piece of construction equipment (lift/tilt) with an extra cylinder for that side arm and an additional cylinder for the open/close. It's really not that crazy mechanically. Putting it up front makes it easier for the driver to line up, and allows the "helper" to make sure people aren't throwing out illegal/dangerous stuff before it's tossed into the hopper.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Still, the normal variant here seems to be that you hook the bin onto the rear and it's flipped over and emptied into some sort internal collection mechanism. No overhead lifting, no aligning weird grabbing mechanisms. You need to roll a wheeled bin a few meters, though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TacoHavoc posted:

It's a pretty standard front end loader like you'd find on any tractor or piece of construction equipment (lift/tilt) with an extra cylinder for that side arm and an additional cylinder for the open/close. It's really not that crazy mechanically. Putting it up front makes it easier for the driver to line up, and allows the "helper" to make sure people aren't throwing out illegal/dangerous stuff before it's tossed into the hopper.

The ones in Australia just have a hole in the side and turf the garbage in that way

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ours all have the arms on the side of the box and have dual control trucks so the driver just looks out his side window.

Suppose the advantage of that one is you can just unhook a few hydraulic lines and drop that contraption off and go back to picking up dumpsters with that truck

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of all the times to just be happening to film the garbage truck picking up your trash.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Data Graham posted:

Of all the times to just be happening to film the garbage truck picking up your trash.

I'm not sure what's more likely - that, or that it's some oddball that films it every time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Computer viking posted:

I'm not sure what's more likely - that, or that it's some oddball that films it every time.

Heh, good point. Never thought of that.

But you won't believe how many people are passionate about garbage collection. Our city changed companies and they hosed up quite often and you would have thought it was the end of the world.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When I moved to NH and there was no town collection you had to hire a private company it was weird. What is extra weird is there are a number of companies and people are passionate about how theirs is the best and all the other suck etc... I don't care as long as my rubbish is collected on the day agreed upon what is your hang up?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

You Am I posted:

The ones in Australia just have a hole in the side and turf the garbage in that way

drat I want one of those lavender bins now

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You Am I posted:

It looks like it's designed to be used with a regular dumpster collection truck. I guess it eliminates the need for multiple styles of truck.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

But you won't believe how many people are passionate about garbage collection. Our city changed companies and they hosed up quite often and you would have thought it was the end of the world.

Oh man the posts on nextdoor asking about various companies and the complaints are amazing. My neighbor said he kept changing companies and they kept getting bought by the company he originally left. I felt his pain when the exact thing happened to me later that year.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm in Oslo, Norway - the previous conservative government moved to have a private company collect garbage, and it went off the rails quickly: Not enough people, not enough trucks, illegal contracts, the lot. The incoming liberal governent eventually gave up on having the company sort things out, and moved it back to a county service with county employees. Probably the single largest political mess here for decades; garbage collection is Serious Business.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

Oh man the posts on nextdoor asking about various companies and the complaints are amazing. My neighbor said he kept changing companies and they kept getting bought by the company he originally left. I felt his pain when the exact thing happened to me later that year.

Here in New England, that's a common business plan.
1. Start garbage company, buy a truck, hire a couple guys. Promise better service than WM, more often collection, lower prices, whatever.
2. Gain contracts, expand to 5-6 trucks and 15 guys.
3. Get bought out by Waste Management, sign a non-compete with a 50 mile radius and 1 year duration.
4. Start new business 51 miles away or diddle yourself for 366 days.
5. Repeat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

sharkytm posted:

Here in New England, that's a common business plan.
1. Start garbage company, buy a truck, hire a couple guys. Promise better service than WM, more often collection, lower prices, whatever.
2. Gain contracts, expand to 5-6 trucks and 15 guys.
3. Get bought out by Waste Management, sign a non-compete with a 50 mile radius and 1 year duration.
4. Start new business 51 miles away or diddle yourself for 366 days.
5. Repeat.

LOL. Undercutters Wastemen.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Paying for a hydraulic system (and not maintaining it and having it torch an entire truck) is still cheaper than paying for pensions and medical bills for the hosed up backs of the guys who would have to ride on the back and toss the bins. By a significant margin.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
And if you use skydrol, it won't torch the truck either!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone in the OSHA thread said it was for recycle and it lets the people see what people are putting in the recycle to check for things that definitely can't be recycled which kind of makes sense.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So I am guessing fire can't be recycled then?

Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fire IS recycling. You're turning oxygen and something else into light.