Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

nut posted:

wooooo, i somehow got crazy lucky and got one on my third strike but my friend in the uk didn't have one and between 90 bait on my end and 140 on his he finally caught one!

he also caught a golden trout and later a tuna, neither of which I have...

I keep hearing about golden trout. Wtf is that all about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

prepuce repurposed posted:

I keep hearing about golden trout. Wtf is that all about

They are in them there hills

nut

vanisher posted:

They are in them there hills

are they the middle sized shadow???

i finally farmed tarantulas successfully last night so now i'm trying to sleep longer til the shop open...

beer pal

same it was very tedious so i dont really want to do it again bt it is so many bells.......

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Bobby Deluxe

food court bailiff posted:

i have a very big but very cheap tv and an original ps4
this is one of the biggest issues with soulslikes, when your tv is laggy as gently caress

i have a new tv with a dedicated game mode that turns off anything that causes input delay, so i am excited to play the ps4 dark souls release and maybe actually be able to parry this time

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
I am playing SotN for the first time ever and I am not enjoying it. The massive knockback after getting hit by anything and lack of iframes after taking damage is a combination that has really not aged well, and it's taking all the fun out of it.

Probably doesn't help that I'm playing it on mobile with touchscreen controls. I try with a Bluetooth controller later to see if it's better I guess.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

this is one of the biggest issues with soulslikes, when your tv is laggy as gently caress

i have a new tv with a dedicated game mode that turns off anything that causes input delay, so i am excited to play the ps4 dark souls release and maybe actually be able to parry this time

eh i've been rocking game mode for ages, in sekiro it's literally that it drops frames sometimes from the PS4 side of things when the counters need to be frame-perfect, and the tv is hardcapped at 60fps anyway

i've heard playing it on a beefy computer with a 144hz monitor is a dream though

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Persona 5 Royal : My Cat Isn't Letting Me Sleep, Again. And there's a new girl.

So far the quality of life improvements are real good - being able to see what Confidants are available and close to upgrading is a time-sizer.

nut

I’ll add some Nintendo friends today! I’m just out this morning

Rockman Reserve

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Persona 5 Royal : My Cat Isn't Letting Me Sleep, Again. And there's a new girl.

So far the quality of life improvements are real good - being able to see what Confidants are available and close to upgrading is a time-sizer.

is there some way to carry over a NG+ from p5 to p5r because there is no way in ayche-eee-double-hockey-sticks that i'm playing through that entire game + new content again without my ng+ stuff

Areola Grande

is there some way to carry over a NG+ from p5 to p5r because there is no way in ayche-eee-double-hockey-sticks that i'm playing through that entire game + new content again without my ng+ stuff

No, but your P5 save file will unlock some helpful bonuses

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

nut

my nintendo friendo code-o is 6892-4181-4324 just lemme know in here if you add me!

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie
My PSN ID is Verrucht if anyone wants to add me.

ToxicFrog

okiedoke posted:

Fashion Souls is the real game.

:emptyquote:

Armour in DS3 is kind of a disaster mechanically but it makes fashionsoulsing a lot easier and for that I love it.

Tipps posted:

I am playing SotN for the first time ever and I am not enjoying it. The massive knockback after getting hit by anything and lack of iframes after taking damage is a combination that has really not aged well, and it's taking all the fun out of it.

Probably doesn't help that I'm playing it on mobile with touchscreen controls. I try with a Bluetooth controller later to see if it's better I guess.

Parts of SotN definitely haven't aged well but trying to play it on a touchscreen sounds like a special flavour of hell.

nut

Doctor Dogballs posted:

hi Animal Crossing people, can I share my friendly code in here? mine is 7525 8579 7776. My wife's is 5736 3233 3611. (She plays more than me.) Let's cross animals

also added! (I’m mr resetti)

Heather Papps

hello friend

ToxicFrog posted:

Parts of SotN definitely haven't aged well but trying to play it on a touchscreen sounds like a special flavour of hell.

i think i still have wolfenstein 3d on my ancient ipod touch

the idea of an emulator in my pocket ruled, then i was like "oh no i need a button" BUT rpgs and turn based stuff works okay

i am a nintendo fanman but i could not abide motion control. GIVE ME A BUTTON. i can't swordfight with janky rear end motion control, and i can't beat super mario world on a touchscreen

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Areola Grande

nut posted:

also added! (I’m mr resetti)

I added all 3 of yous. Mine is 1003-8708-5711. Let's make these animals cross at us

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Rockman Reserve

ToxicFrog posted:

:emptyquote:

Armour in DS3 is kind of a disaster mechanically but it makes fashionsoulsing a lot easier and for that I love it.

i beat mega man 2 on an iphone 3g basically the minute the ios app store opened

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

this is super heretical and i know it but i really enjoyed the first few hours of sekiro and then just like....completely stopped enjoying it at all

i have a very big but very cheap tv and an original ps4 and i felt like there were genuine hardware limitations to what the game expected, counter-wise. the world is pretty cool to explore, with the grappling hook and infinite-stamina dashing, but it's really hurt by the fact that exploration only really ever rewards you with (admittedly scarce) consumables. there's no armor or anything and the more hidden ninja tools i've seen so far (really just the raven feather mist quick step or whatever are pretty situational and worse than your normal loadout.

one thing it does have in its favor is how open things are if you're willing to explore, my save file is currently stuck on like four completely different bosses simultaneously. i also found the (secret?) area with the pinwheel guy, but i didn't ever give him either pinwheel or explore much there because i found it totally by accident and it seemed like it was full of kinda badass dudes and i'm pretty sure i had to like, try to glitch-jump back up the cliff or something to get back to the buddha to warp the h*ck away

I’m with you. I like the souls and bloodborne setting/aesthetic more and all the items, weapons and armor help make exploration feel more rewarding. The controls and combat are great, but learning the mechanics and finally getting to the point where I was a contender did nothing for me emotionally. I was totally checked out of the game and it had the least impact on me anything From has made since before Demon Souls. I think I just like dressing up like a dumbfuck in Bezerk inspired medieval/Victorian hellscapes.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Rockman Reserve

mysterious frankie posted:

I’m with you. I like the souls and bloodborne setting/aesthetic more and all the items, weapons and armor help make exploration feel more rewarding. The controls and combat are great, but learning the mechanics and finally getting to the point where I was a contender did nothing for me emotionally. I was totally checked out of the game and it had the least impact on me anything From has made since before Demon Souls. I think I just like dressing up like a dumbfuck in Bezerk inspired medieval/Victorian hellscapes.

in a soulsborne game getting to a new boss is generally an exciting opportunity for a cool fight with something challenging

in sekiro getting to a new boss is like unlocking a new song in a rhythm game programmed by extreme sadists, and also your tv is stuck on mute

Yinlock

still in the anime farming move, replaying rune factory 4 now via the special edition

stealing the hood from a howling grim reaper and using it to create a loving sweet watering can still owns

e: also there's a cave full of giant 4500 hp super chickens that oneshot you, you can tame one if you're ballsy/persistent enough and take it on adventures and watch it kill giants

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 2, 2020

Mummy Napkin

Mummy Napkin fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 20, 2022

Areola Grande

Mummy Napkin posted:

hey I want on the crossing of the animals 1400-9432-5731

added :wave:

TOOT BOOT

ToxicFrog posted:

Pretty sure the iOS port can use controllers.

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

in a soulsborne game getting to a new boss is generally an exciting opportunity for a cool fight with something challenging

in sekiro getting to a new boss is like unlocking a new song in a rhythm game programmed by extreme sadists, and also your tv is stuck on mute

I'd agree with that. When I figured out how to take out a souls boss, even if I had been cursing for the last hour, dying, running back and immediately dying, running back, dying, running back, dying, by the end of it when I won I'd let out a triumphant cheer and feel all the aggravation wash away. Soulsborne games were 90% exploring, figuring out lore and playing dress up, and 10% the initial awe at some crazy boss then the rush after finally winning, but the rush was still there.

In Sekiro, when I figured out Genichiro for example, my response was to go "finally" while still feeling kind of annoyed. When I finished the game I let out a big ol "finally", rolled my eyes, skipped the Demon of Hatred entirely because ugh why, uninstalled and kind of grumbled to myself that this game meant I would probably have to wait another few years for From to make something new I was actually down with.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Roth

GTA4 is a good game

Heather Papps

hello friend

Roth posted:

GTA4 is a good game

it's maybe the only GTA where i actually cared about the character i was controlling

Roth

Heather Papps posted:

it's maybe the only GTA where i actually cared about the character i was controlling

Claude and Tommy are kinda just nothing characters, and CJ's character feels like it changes every dozen missions or so.

The GTA5 crew had their moments.

Niko though is legit.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have a lot of affection for trevor from 5, but niko is like any of the guys i've met at various jobs with life stories that are utterly fascinating they find mundane, and who are trying their best to move forward.

also, i love bowling with my cousin!

ToxicFrog

Still playing Morrowind! The main quest is on hold while I check out Solstheim and the Bloodmoon expansion. First impressions: wow the enemies here are a lot tougher than they are on Vvardenfell, if I didn't have Stormforge (which is a pretty nasty weapon in its own right and which Supreme Magicka makes even nastier with its changes to the Lightning Shield effect) I might have to give up and come back later!

Heather Papps posted:

i think i still have wolfenstein 3d on my ancient ipod touch

the idea of an emulator in my pocket ruled, then i was like "oh no i need a button" BUT rpgs and turn based stuff works okay

i am a nintendo fanman but i could not abide motion control. GIVE ME A BUTTON. i can't swordfight with janky rear end motion control, and i can't beat super mario world on a touchscreen

Turn-based stuff is generally ok as long as the penalty for the occasional missed tap isn't too high (i.e. not roguelikes or stuff like demoncrawl).

But SotN requires a lot of high-speed precision input just to play normally, and was designed on the assumption that you have eight buttons (and the d-pad) available at all times. I don't know how you'd even try to cast the spells (which involve lengthy button combos).

TOOT BOOT posted:

Pretty sure the iOS port can use controllers.

It can! They weren't using one though.

Heather Papps

hello friend

this brings up a broader videogame discussion point i think a lot about:
in a lot of games where you control a "CHARACTER" there is an insane level of disconnect between gameplay behaviour and their personality, etc.

gta tried a few tactics here, from claude being basically a non character, to cj being "in character" no matter the circumstance, and in 5 they literally gave you 3 dudes so you can try and still be like "well this guy i like and he mostly drives, and has a dog" and "this guy is mentally ill and an addict and stuff, but VERY violent, but it's okay"

gta4 gave niko a strong singular characterization, provided justification for his combat skills and blase attitude towards life and death in a reasonable way, but by strongly defining the character clearly some people aren't going to like it.

it's a weird as poo poo thing, like how in fallout 4 they wanted you to have power armor from the start, so you don't make a character anymore, you are an ex military guy, so you have power armor training. and a wife. and a kid. and a story that you should care about, but don't.

Bobby Deluxe

excuse me but i had a husband and kid :colbert:

ELI PORTER

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
a cool detail in gta 4 was that if you were driving and listening to the radio and roman or little jacob or whomever called you, your radio would do this little "brrb brrb" noise seconds before the phone rang. cell phones used to do that, i don't think they do anymore (interfere with wireless amplification)

a child (actually an 18+, it's a game rated M after all) playing the game today would likely not understand

Bobby Deluxe

also i finished the outer worlds, its ok but it just made me want to play fallout 4 again

it starts off good but monarch is way, way too big and dumps all the sidequests on you at once, so yeah i also got to the point where i just wanted it to be over

i also think i messed up the first area by siding with the hippies and closing the cannery instead of getting them to work together

then once all the sidequests are done i reached max level and had all the best gear, so suddenly there was no point to looting and i just rushed the last quest and almost one shot the final boss who is literally only introduced as an antagonist in the last two quests

i also worked out that whats wrong with it, is that it feels like what would happen if microsoft made a version of fallout. its very shiny and presentable and user friendly but it just feels empty somehow

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

this brings up a broader videogame discussion point i think a lot about :
in a lot of games where you control a "CHARACTER" there is an insane level of disconnect between gameplay behaviour and their personality, etc.

gta tried a few tactics here, from claude being basically a non character, to cj being "in character" no matter the circumstance, and in 5 they literally gave you 3 dudes so you can try and still be like "well this guy i like and he mostly drives, and has a dog" and "this guy is mentally ill and an addict and stuff, but VERY violent, but it's okay"

gta4 gave niko a strong singular characterization, provided justification for his combat skills and blase attitude towards life and death in a reasonable way, but by strongly defining the character clearly some people aren't going to like it.

it's a weird as poo poo thing, like how in fallout 4 they wanted you to have power armor from the start, so you don't make a character anymore, you are an ex military guy, so you have power armor training. and a wife. and a kid. and a story that you should care about, but don't.

That's why GTA3 was the best one imo, and the only one I actually completed, because I was invested in the character. And that character was just a blank slate, you projected your own wants and desires into it. It was an actual avatar. Playing as Nico or CJ or any of those guys, the game would sometime punish you for not adhering to their character. I don't mind games with a scripted lead if they're well written (they usually aren't), but I much prefer a mute player character that I can play as me, as I like, with well written NPCs/supporting cast.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Open world games do so much better when you can roleplay with the character. If you want to tell a story, then by all means have a deep character but giving a character a back story and the play a lot of choice just seems counter intuitive. Games try too hard to be two things open world and story driven. They are two very different types of games and I don't think either group is all that satisfied with current gen games. I recently played a bit of Pathfinder Kingmaker and that game gives you so much choice while providing world building. There's well defined NPCs and yeah you're a bit railroaded with your 5-6 dialog options but I can just pick the one that kind of does what I want. Okay I have to pick a direction I'm pissed at this dude because this guy has low int and of course doesn't realize it's a trick. So let's lead the party into a trap in a bullheaded run.

You want to have a cinematic experience? Okay you can make a game designed around being a character but the game should be more on rails if you want to tell a story. If it's open world each player is getting a different story that just doesn't work out. Your vision is to make money on buzz words if you want a deep backstory for the character and freedom of choice. (might actually be my main problem with Witcher, it tries to be open world with a character I don't want to RP as, I'd love to have him as an NPC companion though).

There's nothing wrong with liking both types of games, but a game should try and lean more into one or the other and stop trying to middle road everything. I was never really into the GTA games after they went 3D (GTA2 is still a great game). My brother was always really into them but finds the character back stories tedious so he doesn't play them anymore. GTA always seems like a go do dumb stuff don't care about the story, like Postal. It shouldn't have a plot it should just be fun. I mean you need the token bare bones plot but just enough that there's some end goal reason you are doing it.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 3, 2020

sig by owlhawk911

Yinlock

eh Niko falls flat for me because of his dour nature while the most absolute goofball poo poo is going on

CJ was the only protagonist i got attached to since he has grounded and solid motivations but is also totally down for whatever loony tunes poo poo his wacky friends come up with

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 3, 2020

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oc3QzfVDHA
this must be seen.

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back

Tipps posted:

Look at this dummy with his dummy opinions.

I am enjoying this game more now that I realize it's meant to be played like the NES games rather than the DS games. It's slow and chunky and deliberate, and expects you to be good at it, or it punishes you for being bad. It's not like Super Metroid at all where you can just run and gun through stuff and only die at boss fights. It reminds me a lot of Dark Souls tbh

Playing it with a controller helps too :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

pixaal posted:

Open world games do so much better when you can roleplay with the character. If you want to tell a story, then by all means have a deep character but giving a character a back story and the play a lot of choice just seems counter intuitive. Games try too hard to be two things open world and story driven. They are two very different types of games and I don't think either group is all that satisfied with current gen games. I recently played a bit of Pathfinder Kingmaker and that game gives you so much choice while providing world building. There's well defined NPCs and yeah you're a bit railroaded with your 5-6 dialog options but I can just pick the one that kind of does what I want. Okay I have to pick a direction I'm pissed at this dude because this guy has low int and of course doesn't realize it's a trick. So let's lead the party into a trap in a bullheaded run.

You want to have a cinematic experience? Okay you can make a game designed around being a character but the game should be more on rails if you want to tell a story. If it's open world each player is getting a different story that just doesn't work out. Your vision is to make money on buzz words if you want a deep backstory for the character and freedom of choice. (might actually be my main problem with Witcher, it tries to be open world with a character I don't want to RP as, I'd love to have him as an NPC companion though).

There's nothing wrong with liking both types of games, but a game should try and lean more into one or the other and stop trying to middle road everything. I was never really into the GTA games after they went 3D (GTA2 is still a great game). My brother was always really into them but finds the character back stories tedious so he doesn't play them anymore. GTA always seems like a go do dumb stuff don't care about the story, like Postal. It shouldn't have a plot it should just be fun. I mean you need the token bare bones plot but just enough that there's some end goal reason you are doing it.

I think Rockstar did a good job balancing Arthur's character and story in RDR2 (I never played RDR1 so don't know or really care about his backstory. There's enough exposition in RDR2 to get by). He's got enough personality to be like you're playing an authored character, but he's quiet enough that you can feel like it's you playing in the world. I'm still slowly chewing through that game, it's very beautiful, but there's soooo much to do and explore you almost never interact with the main quest. I started deliberately railroading the main plot just to advance it along since I was still at the second camp after who knows how long in-game months/years of play. They got the characters really right, but the extreme open world aspect means you never really interact with them.