Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dexo posted:

Do people think New players are dumb. Or that they won't explain what's happening in the game, if not in this "episode" eventually.

I think it's less "confused" and more "left out." Like I think it'll be obvious a lot of the twists are meta twists that would be surprising to someone who played the original but might fall flat if you don't know the plot elements being twisted. It's not so much that I think people won't be able to follow it, just that they will and the things the game treats as big, impactful moments won't actually feel that impactful to them.

I could be very wrong, though! I've yet to see how this will all be executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I will laugh if it turns out all of this is just Cloud going insane again, and when we reach catatonic Cloud in Mideel, Tifa reveals the end-of-Midgar events ended with Motorball and they just went merrily on their way.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dexo posted:

Do people think New players are dumb. Or that they won't explain what's happening in the game, if not in this "episode" eventually.

I see you're unfamiliar with Tetsuya Nomura's work

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I will laugh if it turns out all of this is just Cloud going insane again, and when we reach catatonic Cloud in Mideel, Tifa reveals the end-of-Midgar events ended with Motorball and they just went merrily on their way.

I would be so loving pissed lmao, especially if the weird twists end up actually working and being good

Like by that point I'd be into it and then to have it go "actually Cloud was dreaming and the rest of the story will play out as normal lol" would be that one final about-face that would probably just break my mind and I'd just laugh for a day straight

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

I see you're unfamiliar with Tetsuya Nomura's work

I think this is mostly a nojima joint than a nomura one, writing wise, but I had the same knee jerk.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I think this is mostly a nojima joint than a nomura one, writing wise, but I had the same knee jerk.

Yes, Nojima is the writer. Nomura is a designer.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Yes, Nojima is the writer. Nomura is a designer.

And director, so he probably has some input

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This game needs to be weird as poo poo and completely disorienting to capture the spirit of the original. I mean, remember trying to figure out what the actual gently caress Cait Sith is on PS1-era graphics? Or what those things were that wander around the Temple of the Ancients? Or the weird mumbling clones?

If you can play through it once and figure out what happened, it's a failure; a terrible, terrible failure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God drat it I'm actually hyped again

Nojima-san's and Nomura-san's Wild Ride, let's go

I'm expecting this to be weird and dumb as hell but I'm excited for the dumb poo poo as much as anything else

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

PT6A posted:

This game needs to be weird as poo poo and completely disorienting to capture the spirit of the original. I mean, remember trying to figure out what the actual gently caress Cait Sith is on PS1-era graphics? Or what those things were that wander around the Temple of the Ancients? Or the weird mumbling clones?

If you can play through it once and figure out what happened, it's a failure; a terrible, terrible failure.

As far as I know there’s still very little consensus as to what bugenhagen’s model is supposed to represent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1206740350938730497?lang=en

This tweet, but for FF7 instead of Cats, and unironically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't loving wait to see how they handle Cait Sith in the next part

Sometimes I forget that the original had more than its fair share of incredibly dumb poo poo, too, like how one of the main party members is a robotic cat riding a robotic moogle-bear thing remote controlled by a Shinra executive. And then this robotic cat dramatically sacrifices itself and everyone treats it as a serious sacrifice even though it's just a remote controlled doll and doesn't even have artificial intelligence or anything, it's just a remote controlled toy and everyone knows that by this point, and another one shows up like five minutes later

It rules so much

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

God drat it I'm actually hyped again

Nojima-san's and Nomura-san's Wild Ride, let's go

I'm expecting this to be weird and dumb as hell but I'm excited for the dumb poo poo as much as anything else

I was excited for this. But now with the knowledge that they’re doing something batshit weird with it, I am very excited.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As far as I know there’s still very little consensus as to what bugenhagen’s model is supposed to represent.

That's the perfect example of what I'm talking about. And so many of the locations in the original just make no earthly sense. Where is Seto? The caves are "sealed" and you have to go down into them, but then Seto is on a cliff which is presumably accessible from somewhere else.

And why was the Gold Saucer built above a desert which is also a prison and accessible by a propeller-powered cable car, but from a destroyed community?

It makes no sense and that's what makes the original game so cherished! It doesn't have to make sense!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Sometimes I forget that the original had more than its fair share of incredibly dumb poo poo, too, like how one of the main party members is a robotic cat riding a robotic moogle-bear thing remote controlled by a Shinra executive. And then this robotic cat dramatically sacrifices itself and everyone treats it as a serious sacrifice even though it's just a remote controlled doll and doesn't even have artificial intelligence or anything, it's just a remote controlled toy and everyone knows that by this point, and another one shows up like five minutes later

It rules so much

shows up five minutes later while cloud is beating up aeristh, also

you go from not very serious cait sith sacrifice to actually very serious and disturbing cloud breakdown and then during this cait sith 2 literally bounces into frame and goes "hey what's up, is this a bad time?"

whoever said they were getting MGS vibes from this, I feel like ff7 and MGS have exactly the same thing going on where they contain both wacky dumb bullshit comic relief and incredibly serious dramatic story moments with absolutely no barriers between the two, with both frequently happening in the same scenes, but they still manage to remain distinct and functional instead of undermining each other(most of the time)

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 3, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Harrow posted:

It rules so much

You go on a snowboarding adventure 20 minutes after one of the most iconic death scenes in video game history, it owns.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Harrow posted:

It'll all be worth it when Sora, Donald, and Goofy tumble out of a portal in part 2 and give Cloud a keyblade

Okay be honest if Aeris is about to get stabbed and a portal opens and a guy jumps out to save her would you rather it be this guy

These guys

Or this affable gentleman

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You go on a snowboarding adventure 20 minutes after one of the most iconic death scenes in video game history, it owns.

Back when the game first came out some other kid on the school bus I rode wanted to spoil me to be a dick even though he hadn't played the game himself (his brother had) and he told me that you go snowboarding

I was like halfway through disc 1 and thought he was full of poo poo

Good thing he wasn't able to spoil me about Aeris. Of course the strategy guide did that for him, but hey :v:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Okay be honest if Aeris is about to get stabbed and a portal opens and a guy jumps out to save her would you rather it be this guy

These guys

Or this affable gentleman

you make a good point and I don't like it one bit

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Harrow posted:

Back when the game first came out some other kid on the school bus I rode wanted to spoil me to be a dick even though he hadn't played the game himself (his brother had) and he told me that you go snowboarding

I was like halfway through disc 1 and thought he was full of poo poo

Good thing he wasn't able to spoil me about Aeris. Of course the strategy guide did that for him, but hey :v:

My best friend and his brother at the time weren’t allowed to own video games or watch tv outside of the weekend and for a while whenever they came over all they wanted to do was play the snowboarding and g-bike mini games at the gold saucer lmao.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Thing is, I still think Zack dies. Zack dying is a core part of Cloud's character. It's not only why he has the Buster Sword but also why his psychosis is so hosed up, because he inherited memories from Zack that nobody else understands why he has.

EDIT: I mean, the only other plausible explanation is that Zack just gives him the Buster sword, tells him to pretend really hard to be him, and then fucks off on a time traveling motorcycle for sick time adventures.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

:10bux: down that Zack becomes some kind of masked swordsman you gotta fight a buncha times because he's now a mind-controlled science project or Jenova puppet

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Black August posted:

:10bux: down that Zack becomes some kind of masked swordsman you gotta fight a buncha times because he's now a mind-controlled science project or Jenova puppet

... I like it, but it's not quite bizarre enough. It needs an additional twist like Cloud has Zack's memories implanted in him somehow and now Zack is fighting him to try and get his memories back.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Black August posted:

PT6A posted:

... I like it, but it's not quite bizarre enough. It needs an additional twist like Cloud has Zack's memories implanted in him somehow and now Zack is fighting him to try and get his memories back.

and he uses TWO Buster Swords

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Watch there be two intersecting love triangles in part 2: Tifa and Aerith with Cloud, and Cloud and Zack with Aerith

And then it turns out Zack is from an alternate timeline or has been resurrected by Jenova or some poo poo and has to be killed to preserve this timeline or something

My best friend and his brother at the time weren’t allowed to own video games or watch tv outside of the weekend and for a while whenever they came over all they wanted to do was play the snowboarding and g-bike mini games at the gold saucer lmao.

This reminded me of how another friend of mine couldn't beat Safer Sephiroth and knew I'd beaten the game, so he brought his memory card over so I could help him beat the final boss. His whole setup and materia and everything was garbage so it was really hard but we got there eventually.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

and he uses TWO Buster Swords

Go beyond even one piece and just have him hold a buster sword in every humanly appendage and orifice.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gologle posted:

Thing is, I still think Zack dies. Zack dying is a core part of Cloud's character. It's not only why he has the Buster Sword but also why his psychosis is so hosed up, because he inherited memories from Zack that nobody else understands why he has.

EDIT: I mean, the only other plausible explanation is that Zack just gives him the Buster sword, tells him to pretend really hard to be him, and then fucks off on a time traveling motorcycle for sick time adventures.

Unless this is a different Cloud.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lmao they hosed it up right at the finish line, just to appease japanese fans thirsty for zack dick

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Mantis42 posted:

lmao they hosed it up right at the finish line, just to appease japanese fans thirsty for zack dick

You say this like we're all not thirsty for Zack dick.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I never played the original FF7 so I have no nostalgia or love for the original story, but this sounds bonkers af and I can only hope the final product is stupid and fun instead of stupid and boring

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Harrow posted:

Apparently he shows up briefly when the plate falls. But the plate didn't kill anyone now, so I dunno what the gently caress is going to happen with Reeve.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 3, 2020

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama
Ive only played the og ff7, have not tried the remake's demo or followed up/ anticipated much about the game since it was described as being episodic/ split up in different "chapters/acts". but it seems a lot of fans are gonna be pissed off, and this pleases me a little. fanboy rage has a strange, nourishing quality to its taste. dont have much high regard to the "deep" and "engrossing" story the og game had, so i look forward to how it's being "hosed up" according to fans. I might play it further down the road, im strongly in the "wait till its finished" boat, but now im kinda excited to see how they handle the motorbike and snowboarding sequences, and might buy the second game just for those, and to see where this whole aeris dies/lives? thing goes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The thing I find the funniest about the remake is that everyone hated the dumb ghost things when they were first revealed, and then Cloud and Co. kill them and it's revealed that all they wanted was to keep the events of Final Fantasy VII the same instead of letting Nomura do whatever the gently caress he is. :allears:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GreatMrPopo posted:

Ive only played the og ff7, have not tried the remake's demo or followed up/ anticipated much about the game since it was described as being episodic/ split up in different "chapters/acts". but it seems a lot of fans are gonna be pissed off, and this pleases me a little. fanboy rage has a strange, nourishing quality to its taste. dont have much high regard to the "deep" and "engrossing" story the og game had, so i look forward to how it's being "hosed up" according to fans. I might play it further down the road, im strongly in the "wait till its finished" boat, but now im kinda excited to see how they handle the motorbike and snowboarding sequences, and might buy the second game just for those, and to see where this whole aeris dies/lives? thing goes.

It's true, I worried they would make the remake bad by half-assing the translation of the original game into a new format, but now it looks like they're going to make the remake amazing by just going completely off the loving walls tripping on acid, and that's very good. And I'm a huge fanboy for the original in a lot of ways, I would've been happy with a faithful translation of the original game into a new format, but it looks like this is going to be so much better in every way. It should stomp all over the sacred cows of the original and turn them into hamburger.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This basically lets SE do whatever the hell they want to do with the rest of the games in this new series, huh? Maybe Fort Condor doesn't even exist anymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

I dont know how this is even a fuckup because I'm finding this way more entertaining than if they had ended it with the ride to kalm

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I don't have a lot of faith in them not seriously loving up the major plots stuff with something this ambitious (and some stuff changed in this is already a little blugh) but the small scale writing of like characters interacting with each other is so endearing and everything on the gameplay and aesthetics side is 10/10 so I'm not sure I'm going to care that much even if they really screw the pooch.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The thing I find the funniest about the remake is that everyone hated the dumb ghost things when they were first revealed, and then Cloud and Co. kill them and it's revealed that all they wanted was to keep the events of Final Fantasy VII the same instead of letting Nomura do whatever the gently caress he is. :allears:

the ghost things are FF7s original fans

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

TommyGun85 posted:

Meta as gently caress

Edit: this is totally amazing. It's like an M. Night Shyamalan movie, but we don't know if it's a good one or not yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TommyGun85 posted:

Yeah like I don't think the game's statement gets any clearer than that