Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Few things are as tedious as the relentless need to create categories out of fiction that are so microspecific that they try to retroactively fit fiction into them in order to justify their own existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Eh, it's more fun to discuss than going in another circle about Dresden again.

But let's try to spice it up - what UF are y'all reading currently? Anything new? Anything really comforting for pandemic times? Anything with some really hot werewolves in it?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Not sure if Worm counts, but I've been rereading through it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I've been giving the Laundry Files a try. By the second book, I can't get through more than a few pages at a time without wanting to punch the incredibly smug "I look down on anyone not up to my lofty intellectual standards" protagonist in the face.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gnoman posted:

I've been giving the Laundry Files a try. By the second book, I can't get through more than a few pages at a time without wanting to punch the incredibly smug "I look down on anyone not up to my lofty intellectual standards" protagonist in the face.

I enjoyed book 1 for ending with them fighting nazis in space, but something about book 2 just kept me wincing and I've never actually read it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I enjoyed book 1 for ending with them fighting nazis in space, but something about book 2 just kept me wincing and I've never actually read it.

Are you counting the "death ray cameras" or "mind control powerpoints" as the second book?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

But let's try to spice it up - what UF are y'all reading currently? Anything new? Anything really comforting for pandemic times? Anything with some really hot werewolves in it?

Not currently reading any actually. I'm still getting through Mark Greaney's latest Gray Man novel, One Minute Out. After that, though, I do have Mercedes Lackey's Silence which is the ninth from her SERRAted Edge series that featured good and evil elves, mages, race cars and occasional magically empowered social work on problems of cults and child abuse. I'd thought Lackey had pretty much dropped the series a while back, but apparently she has this and a sequel to it that's out in hardcover, so I guess not.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Are you counting the "death ray cameras" or "mind control powerpoints" as the second book?

Book 1: Atrocity Archives, contains nazis in space, is fun despite its protagonist.
Book 2: Jennifer Morgue, I just couldn't.

I have no idea what you're talking about, it's been years since I read book 1 or tried 2.

Everyone posted:

Not currently reading any actually. I'm still getting through Mark Greaney's latest Gray Man novel, One Minute Out. After that, though, I do have Mercedes Lackey's Silence which is the ninth from her SERRAted Edge series that featured good and evil elves, mages, race cars and occasional magically empowered social work on problems of cults and child abuse. I'd thought Lackey had pretty much dropped the series a while back, but apparently she has this and a sequel to it that's out in hardcover, so I guess not.

Mercedes Lackey co-wrote one of my favorite fantasy novels ever, the Black Gryphon. Unfortunately that trilogy seemed to be a standout, as I haven't cared for the rest of her works...but I remain curious about SERRAted edge because it's one of the earliest UF series out there, and since it's so early it does things in new and wacky ways that you wouldn't expect. I think. I've only read the summaries from it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Book 1: Atrocity Archives, contains nazis in space, is fun despite its protagonist.
Book 2: Jennifer Morgue, I just couldn't.

I have no idea what you're talking about, it's been years since I read book 1 or tried 2.

Then you stopped pretty much where I am.

(The second half of The Atrocity Archives involved a project involving the British mass surveilance system being reprogrammed into basilisk guns to fight the Old Ones when the stars are right. The protagonist's boss sets up an early deployment of the system as a bureaucratic power play. Meanwhile the plot of Jennifer Morgue seems to be something about programming Powerpoint presentations to mind control people into buying a specific brand of business software.)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Laundry Files book 2 (Jennifer Morgue) is about Destiny Entanglement and some Capitalist Antagonist using the plot of James Bond books to guide his rituals (with the intention of severing the Bond ritual just before the point where Bond would kill him, thereby essentially leaving him unstoppable). The Laundry and The Black Chamber send in agents in the roles of Bond, Bond Chick and Bond Villain Chick-that-turns-on-the-Villain to put a stop to him.

The joke is that Bob Howard is the one sent in as the Bond Chick and Mo is the one sent in as Bond later

You can safely skip Book 2 and go straight to Book 3 because it suffers from "Book 2 in the series sucks" syndrome.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mastajake posted:

Not sure if Worm counts, but I've been rereading through it.

It's definitely UF-adjacent. What are superpowers but magic, after all?

I've read it through two or three times. It's excellent, if rough around the edges. Could really use an editor, but hey, web serials. You gotta take them with the good and the bad.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Mercedes Lackey co-wrote one of my favorite fantasy novels ever, the Black Gryphon. Unfortunately that trilogy seemed to be a standout, as I haven't cared for the rest of her works...but I remain curious about SERRAted edge because it's one of the earliest UF series out there, and since it's so early it does things in new and wacky ways that you wouldn't expect. I think. I've only read the summaries from it.

I loved the Gryphon trilogy when I was younger, and it sent me on a major Mercedes Lackey journey. Unfortunately, the rest of her works are far inferior, with one major exception. Brightly Burning is the rare standalone book in her series, and it's (IMO) the best of them all. I should re-read it sometime.

lots of folks posted:

Laundry Files Stuff

A series with a rough start, a solid middle, and then another rough period. The second book as the best concept (I love the destiny entanglement and Bond stuff) with the worst execution. It's just frustrating to read. But the next several books after that are great. Watching Bob sort of flounder his way to real power was fun.

Then the series moved onto having other folks as the main PoV characters, and it's back to being a middling series again. I honestly really haven't enjoyed the last couple books all that much. I kind of wish the world would just, you know, end and give me some closure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Going through the first book of the King's Watch series that was briefly talked about here a couple pages ago. I'm leaning on the "uncomfortably Tory" interpretation from what I've seen so far, with stuff like the main character sadly remarking that very few breakfast places in London are not run by foreigners and so on.
It honestly feels a lot like what would happen if Larry Correia was British and slightly less stupid. Not sure if I'll be finishing it.

e: Unpopular take, I actually like The Jennifer Morgue a lot. James Bond stories are plenty magical and hosed up on their own, playing them as distubing is a great idea.
The best part of laundry is Equoid, though. Most hosed-up take on the unicorn I've ever seen.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 1, 2020

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

A series with a rough start, a solid middle, and then another rough period. The second book as the best concept (I love the destiny entanglement and Bond stuff) with the worst execution. It's just frustrating to read. But the next several books after that are great. Watching Bob sort of flounder his way to real power was fun.

Then the series moved onto having other folks as the main PoV characters, and it's back to being a middling series again. I honestly really haven't enjoyed the last couple books all that much. I kind of wish the world would just, you know, end and give me some closure.

Yeah, I could've gone my entire life without reading about Mo' having sex dreams about her violin or totally unsympathetic vampire/elf love stories where everybody should have been soul-eaten.

I kind of wish we could've seen Bob bring the Soul Eater hammer down on the cult party like he almost did at the airport instead of the New Management cluster-gently caress, though. I guess Stross couldn't do that though because that would've been too easy.

I did enjoy M'hari punching Cthulu in the loving face and blowing it's avatar up though.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dunno if it's considered UF, but I'm rereading the Sookie Stackhouse series. It's dumb, but it's fun, easy dumb. In between, reading the Mercy Thompson series, but I keep having to wait for whoever else is reading it from my online library to return books (they have been keeping them for the entire 21 days without returning when finished), so that's been slower going.

Last year I read the entire Malazan Book of the Fallen series (every single book. even the ICE ones) so this year I decided I was just going to read easy, dumb books that didn't require a lot of thought.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just reread the last Patricia Briggs novel before this current one. I didn't find it memorable, literally, and had to reread to get some clarity on plot points in the latest.

Going to restart the Midnight Mayor series now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm reading the Lady Trent books, which aren't really UF at all, but I'm definitely in the mood for some, so I've been lurking in this thread and collecting recommendations in the meantime. I've also got the complete run of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate books as a result of some sort of ebook bundle a while ago, which might actually be what I read next, as they look like the sort of relaxing fluff I'm in the mood for.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmmm, I like this. If Rowling could stop being a transphobe for 2 seconds and write a story about adult wizards in the HP 'verse doing spy stuff I'd be down for it.

Read any of her post-Potter stuff? She's just not that competent as a writer.

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you want another one that's a little weird because it's early, check out Gossamer Axe by Gael Baudino. I picked it up because I was curious about early LGBT works, since openly non-straight protagonists turned up in fantasy way before the mainstream. Whole thing is about the protagonist trying to win her lover back from the Fey with the power of Hair Metal, which is pretty fun.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm not currently reading any UF because I'm finally catching up on my Michael J. Sullivan backlog, and that's straight-up fantasy.

I really wish another Rook novel would come out though. I very much enjoyed the first two.

I did read Yahtzee Croshaw's "Differently Morphous" a few months ago and thought it was fairly interesting.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Going through the first book of the King's Watch series that was briefly talked about here a couple pages ago. I'm leaning on the "uncomfortably Tory" interpretation from what I've seen so far, with stuff like the main character sadly remarking that very few breakfast places in London are not run by foreigners and so on.
It honestly feels a lot like what would happen if Larry Correia was British and slightly less stupid. Not sure if I'll be finishing it.

I don't remember that part but this is definitely wrong. I didn't really like the series so I quit after book 2 or so, but I didn't pick up any "tory" undertones, especially "uncomfortably Tory" ones.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Liquid Communism posted:

Read any of her post-Potter stuff? She's just not that competent as a writer.

I've read a couple of her Cormoran Strike novels, The Silkworm and Career of Evil. They seemed at least decent. I haven't read the first book, The Cuckoo's Calling yet and apparently fourth book, Lethal White is out with a fifth, Troubled Blood that's supposed to be published this year (though with the COVID-19 pandemic, who knows?

On the other hand, I'm a pretty big Jim Butcher fan despite some of the... problematic aspects of his writing, so it's easily possible that my taste in writers is just indiscriminate to actively bad.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 3, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Jeep posted:

I don't remember that part but this is definitely wrong. I didn't really like the series so I quit after book 2 or so, but I didn't pick up any "tory" undertones, especially "uncomfortably Tory" ones.
There is a scene where the protagonist encounters a witch, angers her and the witch tries to attack him and hits her servant instead. Then he goes out of his way to explain that he wasn't feeling particularly sorry for the servant because she should have chosen her employer more carefully.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 3, 2020

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Doctor Jeep posted:

To note:

quote:

There are a lot of family run business in the City; few of them are run by English families.

quote:

What’s the Islamic view of magick in general?’ You’d have thought I’d dropped my pants, such was the response. All of a sudden, everyone was staring at Hannah. She drew a breath. ‘The Islamic view of magick isn’t dissimilar to the Christian one as it was a few centuries ago. Progressive Islam embraces it; mainstream Islam suppresses it as a weakness afflicting women; extremists consider it the work of Satan. If this was India, or some African countries, I’d say you were spot on, Conrad, but not in Britain. Not yet. Not again.’

quote:

‘I took an oath, too. We’re on the same side, Clarke. Don’t forget, Wales voted Leave; we’ve more in common with you than you realise. Neither of you are from London, are you?’ ‘Village near Cheltenham,’ I said. ‘Newcastle upon Tyne,’ said Vicky. ‘As if you hadn’t guessed.’ ‘Then us three have got more in common with each other than we have with them in London. It’s a fact.’

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

As for a book i actually enjoyed recently I'd say The Last Smile in Sunder City. Interesting setting (humans killed magic which hosed up all the magical races) and it does lean heavily on the noir detective side which I like.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oof, that is some decidedly Tory/right wing text. gently caress all of that.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Well, there's me told off. Don't know how I missed some of these.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Laundry Files book 2 (Jennifer Morgue) is about Destiny Entanglement and some Capitalist Antagonist using the plot of James Bond books to guide his rituals (with the intention of severing the Bond ritual just before the point where Bond would kill him, thereby essentially leaving him unstoppable). The Laundry and The Black Chamber send in agents in the roles of Bond, Bond Chick and Bond Villain Chick-that-turns-on-the-Villain to put a stop to him.

The joke is that Bob Howard is the one sent in as the Bond Chick and Mo is the one sent in as Bond later

You can safely skip Book 2 and go straight to Book 3 because it suffers from "Book 2 in the series sucks" syndrome.

Speaking as someone who almost noped out after Book 2, the next few are marked improvements- I think 3 and 4 were both pretty enjoyable, 5 was okay too. I stopped after 6 (the superhero one), partly because it was pretty bad, and partly because the series was visibly deviating away from the "Office drone hacks cthulhu" stuff I liked in the earlier stuff.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking as someone who almost noped out after Book 2, the next few are marked improvements- I think 3 and 4 were both pretty enjoyable, 5 was okay too. I stopped after 6 (the superhero one), partly because it was pretty bad, and partly because the series was visibly deviating away from the "Office drone hacks cthulhu" stuff I liked in the earlier stuff.

That was just a book about what would happen shortly before Case Nightmare Green that Bob mentioned multiple times before that book.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Not quite halfway through the Mercedes Lackey Silence book. There's a bit of a Twilight vibe to it that I think is being set up to be subverted in a way that kind of craps on the whole idea of Twilight.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Kindle editions of Skin Game and the first Mercy Thompson book are on sale today for three bucks each.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I agree that Laundry files 6 was weak, but I think it gets back on track after that. I like the next one where what's left of The Masquerade gets really busted and the consequences that spiral out in the next two are pretty good as well.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Silence was good enough that I've got the sequel in hardcover, Breaking Silence coming this Sunday. Even without death by fire and iron dropping like a flaming poo poo-hammer onto the "not-Cullens" I enjoyed the book. I've kind of missed this world. It's slightly more complicated than the usual good guy vs. bad guy, though only slightly. I also appreciate that the books delivers "messages" to potential teen readers without coming off as preachy. There's a bit where one of her friends tells Staci (the 16 year old girl who is the viewpoint character of the book) that "not Edward Cullen" being in her room watching her sleep was very much a sign of creepy, stalkery, controlling behavior and a Bad Thing (to be fair, Staci was laboring under a spell at the time and wasn't simply being stupidly naive.) Staci herself was likable with reasonable flaws and I liked seeing the world through her eyes.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Read Blood Vice by Angela Roquet. Entertainingly terrible.

The idea of a police k9 expert vs werewolves and vamps is actually good, but since the author clearly doesn't know what K9 officers actually do, it doesn't go anywhere. The main lady lead is incredibly poo poo at being a cop and actively sabotages the one single investigation of the book . She gets her poo poo kicked in for her trouble. At least she gets to bleed on a 'tall white and sexy mystery man' with links to the dark side...
It's not all trash. You get some skin deep exploration of grief and loss, the damage grief can do and a bit on how lovely sisters can be to each other. But everything is signposted well in advance and the vamp hierarchy/lore is not very well sketched out and a bit contradictory.

There are so many books in this series how the hell??

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Also this one: Frost Arcana book 1, what date portends.
Better than blood vice by a long way...
Dystopian future where fae are large and in charge. Has a strong Hollows vibe, with nice if thinly sketched world building. The supporting cast are stock characters but they are fun none the less. The main issue I have is with the protagonist, who has a very un mysterious 'mysterious background'. There is a whole "I cant use my whole power because bad things will happen" but since he then goes on to curb stomp fuckin everyone, it's a bit silly. I'm too powerful for my shirt kind of thing

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
The April Fools bit from the Jim Butcher site is a repeat from 2011 but honestly, I would read the hell out of some L'il Harry adventures:

https://www.jim-butcher.com/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Everyone posted:

The April Fools bit from the Jim Butcher site is a repeat from 2011 but honestly, I would read the hell out of some L'il Harry adventures:

https://www.jim-butcher.com/

This year's April fool was a re-edit of the peace talks trailer with some gratuitous CGI hats

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

jivjov posted:

This year's April fool was a re-edit of the peace talks trailer with some gratuitous CGI hats

I haven't watched either the PT trailer or the April Fool's version of it, probably because I fear I wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

L'il Harry, April Fool or not, is something that I'd unironically want to read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In light of the problems in this thread last week (and in other threads over the past few months), we've implemented an update to the rules for this subforum.

quote:

[*] Similarly, intelligent discussion of sensitive topics-- race, gender, sexuality, etc. -- is encouraged, when relevant to the discussion of a book. However, being stupid or lazy or bigoted in discussion of such topics will be discouraged. Strongly.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I think that killed the thread LOL

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sloth Life posted:

This is where I'd usually bust in with opinions on whatever UF I've been reading, but classic epic fantasy overtook me and Anita Blake will just have to wait. I also asked people what they're reading and they answered. So now we're all sitting around waiting for dresden to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sloth Life posted:

It's because there is no such thing as UF that doesn't have bad presentations of those things. Or if there is, it hasn't been recommended recently in this thread.