Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

That's a shame, since they own. It's real weird they made them mono-Black of all colors, it's just an armored ant-eater.
Apparently there's a green and red one as well.

The original one is bizarre, maybe they named it with the Onslaught keyboard mash naming scheme and hit a real animal by accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't doubt it's just a coincidence but I'd never even heard of pangolins before coronavirus

they're what sandshrew is based off of

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can sortof see Keruga being a mistake because the deckbuilding cost is so low in Fires.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Are these new 50 bux things worth getting?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

flatluigi posted:

they're what sandshrew is based off of

look at my regdate man. i know i'm a mtg playing shut in goon nerd but i'm way too old to understand pokemans references without google

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I was telling my wife about the godzilla card and then the pangolin. She said she ate pangolin once and that's my pangolin story.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Are these new 50 bux things worth getting?

Only if you desperately want the cosmetics; IIRC the packs aren't great value compared to bulk buying them direct, the levels will come anyway if you meet your dailies (I'm over 100 starting from 0 with two weeks still to go), and the sealed entries aren't as good value as just buying into them without everything else. The cards are craftable so they're definitely not worth your resources.

Better to just get the mastery pass when it comes out unless you're really desperate for the shinies.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Only if you desperately want the cosmetics; IIRC the packs aren't great value compared to bulk buying them direct, the levels will come anyway if you meet your dailies (I'm over 100 starting from 0 with two weeks still to go), and the sealed entries aren't as good value as just buying into them without everything else. The cards are craftable so they're definitely not worth your resources.

Better to just get the mastery pass when it comes out unless you're really desperate for the shinies.

Thanks, that's what i thought. I'm planning on trying the mastery this time. I started a couple of weeks ago and I'm at 20something so I figured it'd be worth it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That netdecking event is pretty fun for chumps like me, who can't afford those crazy cards normally.

Also, when your arena client isn't set to English you can't import decklists from English websites. :psyduck:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

I have Omen too. It's great.

I'll probably replace District Guide. Tutoring for lands isn't nearly as good as just putting them into play.

Late to the party here but I do not run Signet in my Nissa build.

1) You already should have at least 4-5 cards that ramp Nissa out early but also contribute to things like blocking, devotion, etc.

2) Artifact ramp doesn’t double

3) it’s a terrible draw mid/late game

If you’re that invested in a T3/4 Nissa, just mulligan more aggressively, she generates so much card advantage anyways.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Death Corona was a hell of a timing but anyone acting all weirded out by the existence of pangolins and bats in cards has definitely started going a bit stir-crazy.

It’s a bit more than that; you can mutate a bat and pangolin together then use death corona to make it kill stuff that it touches

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can also mutate an elf

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Death Corona isn’t as funny as spoiling Trapped in a Tower on 9/11

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

That netdecking event is pretty fun for chumps like me, who can't afford those crazy cards normally.

Also, when your arena client isn't set to English you can't import decklists from English websites. :psyduck:

I'm hype to finally play Temur Adventures. Poorly. Even if it's just for one night.

Bust Rodd posted:

Late to the party here but I do not run Signet in my Nissa build.

1) You already should have at least 4-5 cards that ramp Nissa out early but also contribute to things like blocking, devotion, etc.

2) Artifact ramp doesn’t double

3) it’s a terrible draw mid/late game

If you’re that invested in a T3/4 Nissa, just mulligan more aggressively, she generates so much card advantage anyways.

I thought about those things last night and decided against it. Thanks for reinforcing my decision :)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its cool that they made a whole set that is hosed by Teferi and Oko. well played, play design.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Temur Adventures is incredible when it really goes off, but I've found it just a touch slow on the ranked queue - probably through inexperience, so I'm building some on the play queue.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No Wave posted:

Its cool that they made a whole set that is hosed by Teferi and Oko. well played, play design.

can't believe they're still printing creatures in 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's fine just get a Paradise Druid and a Destiny Spinner* stuck and play the Mutates on the Druid.

(Then get wiped)

*I assume they still count as creature spells when they're being cast for their Mutate cost?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
mutate is an ability involving casting a creature for an alternate casting cost, yes

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

No Wave posted:

Oko is banned and Teferi has answers. What are you talking about?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

No Wave posted:

Teferi may not be the best answer to mutate creatures because the mutation triggers generate value on those that are made for constructed play, and there is the pseudo haste consideration.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

I hope they fixed that bug in Arena where Thorn Elemental could soft-lock the game.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just read through but does that imply that mechagozilla is only available in japanese? And that it has one of dumbest abilities?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ikoria-lair-behemoths-variants-2020-04-03

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

VictualSquid posted:

I just read through but does that imply that mechagozilla is only available in japanese? And that it has one of dumbest abilities?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ikoria-lair-behemoths-variants-2020-04-03

Mechagodzilla is an alt-art of Crystalline Giant, the card right next to it. But it's one of the Japanese-language exclusive styles, yes. At least in print.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Effortless FNM 2-0 with Catfood, beat Ohrzhov and Mono-U Devotion. It's super weird that they require match wins, just game wins. Sideboard is probably fine for ranked.

Deck
3 Temple of Malice (THB) 247
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Mayhem Devil (WAR) 204
6 Swamp (UND) 92
5 Mountain (UND) 94
4 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger (THB) 221
4 Dreadhorde Butcher (WAR) 194
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
4 Woe Strider (THB) 123
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
4 Gutterbones (RNA) 76
4 Claim the Firstborn (ELD) 118
2 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77

Sideboard
3 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
4 Redcap Melee (ELD) 135
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
3 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
2 Act of Treason (M20) 124
1 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator (WAR) 146

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Took the opportunity to play one of my dumb decks that I refuse to use wildcards on.

Game is easy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Wolfsbane posted:

Took the opportunity to play one of my dumb decks that I refuse to use wildcards on.

Game is easy.

Is that Uro?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It's Simic Ascendancy on 20 counters mostly. I did add Uro since he seems to work well with pelt collector but I forgot to fix the mana base so he's basically impossible to escape.

code:
Deck
4 Simic Ascendancy (RNA) 207
3 Galloping Lizrog (RNA) 175
3 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger (M20) 199
2 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
4 Neoform (WAR) 206
3 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (THB) 229
4 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
2 Island (ELD) 254
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
10 Forest (ELD) 266
2 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
4 Evolution Sage (WAR) 159

Sideboard
1 Destiny Spinner (THB) 168
1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
1 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
1 Merfolk Skydiver (WAR) 205
1 Pollenbright Druid (WAR) 173
1 Galloping Lizrog (RNA) 175
1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (THB) 169
1 Thrashing Brontodon (M20) 197
1 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
1 Frilled Mystic (RNA) 174
1 Sharktocrab (RNA) 206
1 Zegana, Utopian Speaker (RNA) 214
1 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
1 Meteor Golem (M19) 241

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I just got into Arena. Played a ton of magic in the 90s. Absolutely excited for this Godzilla set.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
There's a little bit of Monster Hunter, a little bit of Dragonriders of Pern, and a little bit of Attack on Titan as well.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
personally i'm beginning to suspect that it has roots in those giant monster films from the 50s

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I am stoked about that 11/11 green trampler with Cycling. Gonna reanimate that guy so much.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Wolfsbane posted:

For a goofy-rear end event like this, I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more high concept art decks. It's been the same dull decks over and over. You've got unlimited cards, go nuts! Get weird, people.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

boo_radley posted:

For a goofy-rear end event like this, I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more high concept art decks. It's been the same dull decks over and over. You've got unlimited cards, go nuts! Get weird, people.

Yeah I put together some weird jank and immediately ran into a red deck wins with a godly draw and just had to sigh loudly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My last 5 matches have been against Rakdos oven. Is there a meme going around with this deck?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Everybody is using the event to try out the top meta deck that they usually couldn't afford. And Aristocats is the funniest of the current top.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

My last 5 matches have been against Rakdos oven. Is there a meme going around with this deck?

It's one of the best decks in standard right now, not really a meme.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whoooooooo DOGGY did I just win a NAILBITER of a Brawl game. I’m Niv Reborn, they are Bolas, and we are DUKING it out! They had me on 4 Chandra emblems but through judicious use of a Dream Trawler and Uro I was able to grind it out. Rhythm of the Wild giving my titans haste so they would immediately trigger twice on escape was amazing, and I was able to dispatch 2 planeswalkers or more a turn with ease. Niv himself is a valuable threat, and he delightfully eats up Bolas. I made some severe misplays but nothing quite as bad as my opponent completely missing lethal on board the turn before I aced them. They had Acolyte of Flame and Bolas, and I was at 7 with 4 Chandra emblems and no blockers, tapped out. If they had simply made 4 Chandra tokens and attacked I would’ve died on my upkeep, by they instead doubled a spell to kill all my creatures. I recast Niv, draw the rest of my deck, and swing away.

drat near BROKE my OOPS button, I tell you what!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Yeah I put together some weird jank and immediately ran into a red deck wins with a godly draw and just had to sigh loudly.

see, this guy gets it - he took all of his timeouts during his end phase, Finale of Revelationed twice, barfed out all those nyxblooms, cast the krasis, then bounced his faes over and over again until he had exhausted his sideboard, then Mass Manipulated my planeswalkers, and he's still going.
He's roped three times and he's still going. God bless u jd_reaper :3:

e: he's got to be going for finale of glory here. what else could he be waiting for?

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

This event is the easiest wins you could ever hope for, it's all RDW players who dont know how to play the deck. Too bad the rewards arent dupe protected, I just got gems.