Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'd never seen anywhere someone comparing 1080 to 5700XT directly, so here we go:
-Valley: 3538 → 4179
-Geekbench: 23202 → 37934
(Unfortunately other benchmarks like Tomb Raider don't run in System 10.13...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm working from home for the foreseeable future but our IT won't let us take our monitors home, only our laptops. I've got a dell latitude 7490 with a USB-C output that usually connects to a dock, or an HDMI output.

My iMac is a mid-2010 27" model with a mini-DP input for target display mode. From what I've read, target display won't work with HDMI->miniDP, but it might with DP->miniDP. If I get something like this, do you think it'll work to allow the monitor output into the iMac in target display mode?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I'm working from home for the foreseeable future but our IT won't let us take our monitors home, only our laptops. I've got a dell latitude 7490 with a USB-C output that usually connects to a dock, or an HDMI output.

My iMac is a mid-2010 27" model with a mini-DP input for target display mode. From what I've read, target display won't work with HDMI->miniDP, but it might with DP->miniDP. If I get something like this, do you think it'll work to allow the monitor output into the iMac in target display mode?

It should

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I don’t have advice for you but I’m wondering why this seems to be a common policy? I’m here squinting at an iPad and a 15” laptop while an office full of 27” 1440p monitors sits empty, humming to itself quietly. What gives!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tuyop posted:

I don’t have advice for you but I’m wondering why this seems to be a common policy? I’m here squinting at an iPad and a 15” laptop while an office full of 27” 1440p monitors sits empty, humming to itself quietly. What gives!

They don’t want to have to wrangle the monitor too if they end up having to lay you off remotely.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

They don’t want to have to wrangle the monitor too if they end up having to lay you off remotely.

Ah, tracks with the standard policy of not treating me like a professional or even a loving adult. Thanks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've heard of places even letting you take the chairs

Mine would let you take a monitor or expense a relatively inexpensive one ($200 US), but a former employer is only letting people take docks & things -- because their monitors are all VESA mounted and it would be too big of a headache, I imagine.

Your laptop's worth more than the monitor!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

tuyop posted:

On top of what everyone else has said, in larger organizations IT ends up getting asked to help people set these monitors up at home (it's surprising how many people have trouble with this kind of thing), or provide them with the cables for whatever random connector situation they have for their laptop. Plus, this is when you lose track of monitors if they all walk out the door.

On the other hand, I think most people would be respectful and bring the monitor back and figure out how to set things up themselves, so...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tuyop posted:

In our case, it's because the movers are union, and only movers are allowed to move monitors explicitly by contract. We'll get sued if someone non-union touches a monitor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pivo posted:

I've heard of places even letting you take the chairs

Mine would let you take a monitor or expense a relatively inexpensive one ($200 US), but a former employer is only letting people take docks & things -- because their monitors are all VESA mounted and it would be too big of a headache, I imagine.

Your laptop's worth more than the monitor!

Mailing the laptop’s way cheaper. And if it’s like 90% of corporate IT implementations there’s a standardized overnight box they can mail you to send the laptop back (same one used by like repair/recycling services). That doesn’t really happen with displays.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Picked up a refurb 16” with the i7, 1TB, and 32GB this week. Those things go quick. Made a last-minute decision to go 32GB over 16GB. Hopefully I’m not delusional wanting it to last as long as my 2011 iMac. Also grabbed an open box HP thunderbolt G2 dock on eBay as well.

By the way, what is a 21.5” 2011 iMac worth? 12GB RAM and added a Samsung 850 500GB drive a few years back. Still shockingly capable (for my needs at least).

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

beefnoodle posted:

I bought it used* and never bought Applecare. Expensive lesson.

*Seller never bought Applecare either.

owned

anyway you can still pay for out of warranty repair or try this poo poo: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/454454/Spilled+some+coke+on+the+keyboard,+what+do+to+next

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

By the way, what is a 21.5” 2011 iMac worth? 12GB RAM and added a Samsung 850 500GB drive a few years back. Still shockingly capable (for my needs at least).

eBay prices are all over the map but it looks like roughly $250 or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll give you $50 for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/ftR1q5gKUM4

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got a Mac Pro G5 1.8DP that came from the education sector. I've been thinking about getting it set up as an ultimate Classic machine. I found install media for Tiger, but while I was at it I came across a website talking about Mac Pros from that time period being victims of the capacitor plague. Does anyone have any insight into what to look for or do to a Mac of that age to keep it running fine for the foreseeable future? I already pulled the battery when checking out the specs of it a while ago.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any recommendations on a good sleeve to protect my laptop from scratches, .etc? Apple's leather sleeves are pricey, although I suppose I'll get one if it's worth it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never had a problem with the $10 AmazonBasics sleeves.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Small White Dragon posted:

Any recommendations on a good sleeve to protect my laptop from scratches, .etc? Apple's leather sleeves are pricey, although I suppose I'll get one if it's worth it.

Booq

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Herschel. Often can be had at deep discount, but MSRP tops out at like $45 I think. Super padded and soft on the inside. Zippered and tough nylon exterior. Lots of funky colors and patterns.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ok Comboomer posted:

Herschel. Often can be had at deep discount, but MSRP tops out at like $45 I think. Super padded and soft on the inside. Zippered and tough nylon exterior. Lots of funky colors and patterns.

Personally, I like Belroy in that price range. Their tech pouches are nice too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I’ve been putting mine in padded envelopes that I salvage from packages for like six years now. Do that, it works great.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

tuyop posted:

I’ve been putting mine in padded envelopes that I salvage from packages for like six years now. Do that, it works great.

You'll forgive us if we don't take your crazy bait once again, right? Not being mean, just saying people might not find that satisfactory.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nitsuga posted:

You'll forgive us if we don't take your crazy bait once again, right? Not being mean, just saying people might not find that satisfactory.

I never do it with my laptop, but I’ve used them for stuff like Kindles/3ds that way long term with good results.

There are lifehacker articles about it, it’s not that weird.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Reminds me of a past employer. Owner of the company would put his laptop + power cord in a grocery bag. Not even a new one, but a well used plastic grocery bag, from some old store chain that didn't even exist anymore.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Reminds me of a past employer. Owner of the company would put his laptop + power cord in a grocery bag. Not even a new one, but a well used plastic grocery bag, from some old store chain that didn't even exist anymore.

Louis Armstrong carried his cornet in a paper bag before he got famous

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

if it works it works

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

Question comes up a couple of times a month, they want recommendations, I recommend what’s working for me. They can drop $$ on a glorified padded envelope if they want, but this has been working great for the better part of a decade. :shrug:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just cover the outside in some cotton cloth, no one will ever know.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

Question comes up a couple of times a month, they want recommendations, I recommend what’s working for me. They can drop $$ on a glorified padded envelope if they want, but this has been working great for the better part of a decade. :shrug:

if it worked for the original macbook air it's good enough for me

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ItBreathes posted:

I've got a Mac Pro G5 1.8DP that came from the education sector. I've been thinking about getting it set up as an ultimate Classic machine. I found install media for Tiger, but while I was at it I came across a website talking about Mac Pros from that time period being victims of the capacitor plague. Does anyone have any insight into what to look for or do to a Mac of that age to keep it running fine for the foreseeable future? I already pulled the battery when checking out the specs of it a while ago.

Power Mac G5s are generally pretty reliable if they're air cooled (which yours is). The iMac G5 is the one that has basically a 100% failure rate due to bad caps. One problem for G5s is that there are a couple places dust can collect that are impossible to clean without taking the whole thing apart (in the power supply and behind the logic board, where a massive heatsink is hidden).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Found these in a box looking for something else.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

Found these in a box looking for something else.

We still keep an iPod classic in the car with tons of music for long trips.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had a first model 5 gig firewire iPod and it was a sad day when the battery stopped holding a charge. The click wheel with physically moving wheel never broke.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I’m using a 2nd gen iPod touch and a Bluetooth speaker as white noise machine so me and wife can work from home, works great.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mu Zeta posted:

I had a first model 5 gig firewire iPod and it was a sad day when the battery stopped holding a charge. The click wheel with physically moving wheel never broke.

:rip: the physical wheel, the only iteration of it where the metaphor made perfect sense

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

God I went down the deep end trying to fix old iPod classics. Got a few working sorta... but then I bought AirPods and realized I can’t really go back to a wired lifestyle. May still grab an iPod touch for airpods though, and for car device.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

God I went down the deep end trying to fix old iPod classics. Got a few working sorta... but then I bought AirPods and realized I can’t really go back to a wired lifestyle. May still grab an iPod touch for airpods though, and for car device.

I just kinda want one. When iPod Classics/other clickwheel iPods were still readily available I told myself I’d grab some good exemplars before they went away for good, and then I never did.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I still have a fifth-gen (Video?) Classic hanging around, and the original 10GB I owned almost twenty years ago (yes, the specific serial number) is in the mail heading back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Upgraded from a 2014 13”MacBook Air to a 2020 13” edition!

Initial thought? Holy poo poo did they send me an 11inch instead??

I was not expecting the case on the 2014 to be longer. I’m going to give it a few days but I was really shocked. When did they do this form redesign?