Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

zenguitarman posted:

Wait are people saying this because of the pregnant lady scene or because the movie itself is so loving dark because I can't see poo poo in that movie.

HAha, valid point! I say it considering that They have a kid get facehugged really early in the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

AvP 1 and 2 should have been a two parter of the original comic..

They had a good, fully fleshed out story but went with some awful bullshit instead

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

How come the aliens only went for human hosts in AVP2? We could have finally had this in a movie

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Greggster posted:

HAha, valid point! I say it considering that They have a kid get facehugged really early in the movie

Any movie willing to kill kids gets an immediate 1 star bump.

The Relic owns.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The Relic owns.
See also ‘Assault on Precinct 13’ (original) and ‘Mimic’

Assault on Precinct 13 is especially funny because the studio objected to the kid getting shot in the face and John Carpenter promised them he’d remove it, and then he just.... didn’t do it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The Relic owns.

One of the things I liked in Equilibrium is how so many innocent people, including the romantic interest, don't get saved by the hero. He saves the dog, though, so he's not a monster.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sunswipe posted:

One of the things I liked in Equilibrium is how so many innocent people, including the romantic interest, don't get saved by the hero. He saves the dog, though, so he's not a monster.

Equilibrium rules, I got to see that in the theatre. Seeing the opening scene in a pitch-black theatre with theatre audio was amazing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Stolen from BSS..

https://twitter.com/jpalmiotti/status/1243371384555872267

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

See also ‘Assault on Precinct 13’ (original) and ‘Mimic’

Assault on Precinct 13 is especially funny because the studio objected to the kid getting shot in the face and John Carpenter promised them he’d remove it, and then he just.... didn’t do it.

Wait, I was thinking of Mimic.

Haha I love John Carpenter.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

Equilibrium rules, I got to see that in the theatre. Seeing the opening scene in a pitch-black theatre with theatre audio was amazing.

Saw it because a mate and I went to see Daredevil and it wasn't on any more. I'd read a review that said Equilibrium was a fun Matrix knockoff. I never bought that magazine again, in part because I was constantly watching Equilibrium once I had a DVD of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think Assault on Precinct 13 is definitely in my top 5 for Carpenter films

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

slow_twitch posted:

AvP 1 and 2 should have been a two parter of the original comic..

They had a good, fully fleshed out story but went with some awful bullshit instead

As has been said-- both AvP movies were made on the cheap (by major movie standards). That's why the first one cheaps out by setting it in the present day, and why the second one really cheaps out and just sets it on a small town backlot.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Android Apocalypse posted:

It didn't help that I kept mistaking Lloyd Holbrook for Joel Kinnaman (IMO they're both bland leading actors).

All I really knew about Joel Kinnaman was the Robocop reboot, in which he was decent but had nothing to work with. He did great in the first season of Altered Carbon though, the guy can really play a smug rear end in a top hat extremely well.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Despite it being a worse movie in many respects (not being able to see anything, bad setting, dumb characters, stupid plot, etc) AvP:R is the better of the two because it:
  • blasted a kid with a facehugger in the first five minutes
  • had that scene where the dad shines the light up to the window to prove there's no monsters in the yard and immediately gets owned by an alien
  • didn't try to shoehorn Peter Weyland into the film

Of course, it immediately loses that last point because they do that dumb scene with "Miss Yutani" but still.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wanted a movie with more 'cool' engineers and all I got was a dumb xeno and dumb engineers thanks a lot fans/Ridley.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Apologies if this has been covered, but any of you LoreFiends wanna explain how space travel in Alien/Aliens works?

Ripley leaves a daughter behind, and I think we're supposed to understand she was a little kid at the time, based on her reaction and Newt as a surrogate?

Hypersleep says they're probably not going a significant fraction of c, so traveling between planets is gonna take years anyway. If they ARE traveling close to the speed of light, you still have relativity to deal with so Ripley (stasis or no) spends a couple weeks/months on the ship on the out and back and her little daughter is still gonna be middle aged/old/dust by the time she gets back. FTL is 'the speed of plot' but then you don't need hypersleep.

Maybe the answer is 'scriptwriters didn't take Modern Physics and didn't consider it, the series is lousy with Conrad references, the analogy is the months/years a voyage would take in the Age of Sail'. Anyway, I'm just trying to get my head around what Ripley's expectations around ever seeing her daughter again were. She seems crushed to know she's dead when, best case scenario, no detours, no Alien(s), when she got on that ship she was basically saying to her young daughter, 'so long honey, be good, I'll try to be home before you're 30.'

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ripley promised her ten year old daughter that she'd be home for her 11th birthday so we can assume FTL travel with no weird time dilation relativistic effects.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ripley promised her ten year old daughter that she'd be home for her 11th birthday so we can assume FTL travel with no weird time dilation relativistic effects.

It’s this, I think. There’s no visual indication at the beginning of the movie they’re at ‘warp speed’, but they are. The Nostromo ships metal or whatever back to Earth, they aren’t doing this to benefit people thousands of years in the future. They get in the truck, drive to Sirius to pick up a load, and drive back in time for Xmas. Time not at ‘warp’ leads to the conversation about the LV426 trip adding 8 months to their travel back.

Arcturus, home of the infamous poontang, is a 75 year journey at .5c, and the marines in Aliens refer to it like it’s a trip to Coney Island.

The answer to your question is almost anthropic: the story requires that people come and go as they please around the galaxy, so they do. Trying to explain things gives us loving Prometheus and Covenant.

Mudfly
Jun 10, 2012

Tracula posted:

Sometimes gibbis gets it right. Aliens is a loving masterpiece and I was legit heartbroken when I heard Al Matthews (Sgt. Apone) passed away.

From his wiki:
"Matthews was a member of the United States Marine Corps who graduated at Parris Island on 25 May 1966, and served during the Vietnam War. [3][4][5] On his website, he stated:

I spent six years in the United States Marine Corps; I hold thirteen combat awards and decorations, including two purple hearts. I was the first black Marine in the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam to be meritoriously promoted to the rank of sergeant; I served with Kilo Battery, Fourth Battalion, 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division, of that I am very proud."

Funny I should happen across this thread. I have recurring nightmares of this drat film as an adult, in fact I had one just last night. "Predator" too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

Predators gets undue hate the way Predator 2 used to get hate. It's a mediocre realization of an amazing concept that manages to avoid any major missteps even if it never elevates above "pretty good." After "The Predator" I think you have to be a pretty big sourpuss to hate on it.
There's a point where one character correctly identifies north.

Several hours (days?) later they notice they're on a different planet only because they finally notice the gas giant they're orbiting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

I liked that the Predator full on did not give a gently caress about the humans. He was there to do a job, he wasn’t there to make friends, don’t get in his way.
AvP2 predator makes AvP1 better. Like how P2 predator is the annoying cousin they were forced to bring because otherwise his mum would raise hell, the AvP2 predator Commandoing his way to earth to clean up their mess makes it clead that the AvP1 predators were a bunch of cub scouts who arrived at their first no grown ups sleep away camp to find all the survival gear missing.

AvP1 would have been way better if they'd emphasised that in the actual film. And if the main human character had more personality than a damp washcloth. Me in AvP1: Why do the predators suck so bad. Me in AvP2: oh because they were sucky predators, makes sense.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 1, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Splicer posted:

There's a point where one character correctly identifies north.

Several hours (days?) later they notice they're on a different planet only because they finally notice the gas giant they're orbiting.

They correctly identify a magnetic "north" relative to their position, then later realize they're in terrain where that information is likely wholly unreliable. That's the whole point of the vista scene with all of the impossibly close planets in the sky to tell the characters "this poo poo is way more hosed than you thought and the rules as you know them don't apply."

The movie then pisses away most of that goodwill on the aforementioned dogs scene.

But the build-up and execution is solid and trying to :smug: your way into hating on it won't work.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I took that Ripley's escape pod wasn't traveling at the regular FTL speed other ships normally do so it kinda made sense that she could wake up 57 years later. Add to it her ship didn't seem to have a set path so it drifted thru the core systems.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Android Apocalypse posted:

I took that Ripley's escape pod wasn't traveling at the regular FTL speed other ships normally do so it kinda made sense that she could wake up 57 years later. Add to it her ship didn't seem to have a set path so it drifted thru the core systems.

I figure they were also off course due to the distress signal, and considering they were towing an out of use refinery, it was probably in a backwater area to begin with. Add to that the fact that there's no friction in space, it's likely that by the time a rescue party could have looked there, the Narcissus could have been long gone in just about any direction.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Didn't they say it would take 18 days or something for help to arrive if they were overdue for a call?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Didn't they say it would take 18 days or something for help to arrive if they were overdue for a call?

Right, but that's 18 days after they were overdue, assuming they were going at the same speed a rescue party would be sent, that's still 36 days before help would arrive. They were likely travelling a bit slower.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

The more I think about it, the more I think the easiest answer is 'this fictional universe is a universe where relativity doesn't apply'. I mean *I* sure don't see any gravitational lensing. Does anyone say the phrase GPS at any point?

It's all Gallilean/Newtonian physics. If a planet is 30 light years away, and you want to be back for your 10 year old daughter's 11th birthday, just travel at 60c, ya dingus!

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ypDsQjZhn0

20 minutes of game-play from the upcoming asymmetric Predator game..

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Looks bad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The soldier stuff looks really uninspired for sure. The enemy animations and attacks have an almost... MMO like quality? It doesn't feel very kinetic.

I'd like to see more Predator gameplay.

I get it's a small studio but how great would it be if that part had like 90% of the polish of a COD type game to really drive home that the humans are Badass Operators? Also curious how much tension their is between accomplishing the mundane mission and surviving the predator. The missions themselves kind of add to the MMO quality from what I saw. I mean the source material had imperiled hostages to try to rescue! This has you deleting recipes from a computer terminal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

The missions themselves kind of add to the MMO quality from what I saw. I mean the source material had imperiled hostages to try to rescue! This has you deleting recipes from a computer terminal.

NPCs are costly as gently caress to animate and script.

But yeah overall I'm mixed. Friday the 13th loving owned, but I'd be first to admit it had some serious jank and balance issues. I really want to be in-line to support this but at $40 I just can't, and that kills me double because I know they're selling it as low as the bosses will let them.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

The human part looks really bland. Your character and the weapons look like the most milquetoast poo poo from The Predator. Where is the m16 with a grenade launcher? Masterkey? fuckin minigun??

customizing your own pred looks cool tho.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

slow_twitch posted:

The human part looks really bland. Your character and the weapons look like the most milquetoast poo poo from The Predator. Where is the m16 with a grenade launcher? Masterkey? fuckin minigun??

customizing your own pred looks cool tho.

I watched another play of it, and it looks like you unlock a lot of gear as you play, like one would expect in a lot of these types of games. It's also in beta at the moment, so take that for what it is.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah that doesn't look really polished. Maybe 10 years ago that would fly. Since it's a Predator game I might just get it anyway. There's a very high chance there will be a mini-gun.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Alien Theory is a good channel.

Sample but spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW12MMvM1ho

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

I watched another play of it, and it looks like you unlock a lot of gear as you play, like one would expect in a lot of these types of games. It's also in beta at the moment, so take that for what it is.

Yeah I see now the preorder has a minigun skin. It just seems like in a game where the predator is going to be the overwhelming favorite you should amp up the human gear fun factor to compensate..

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had an Aliens dream last night. I won't say the whole thing because dreams are always crazy and it's not always fun hearing all about them.

Basically us Marines were doing a sea assault on the bugs. We hit the beach in huge Higgins style boats and took off running. We found a bug tunnel where the xenomorphs started coming out of. Picture D-Day and the Klendathu drop. It was insane and terrifying. I got to play with all sorts of crazy guns and a small mech/exoskeleton was involved. We all died and had to do it again. This time I had to teach everyone how to call in fire from ships and aircraft for our second assault. :getin:

It was awesome.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Why do you guys get crazy epic battle dreams, and mine are always "you're at work and the paperwork is hosed up, the boss is really mad."

But the boss is a xenomorph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Stay safe!