Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MRC48B posted:

The article claims that he is ramping up though?

It took us almost two years to spin up manufacturing for WWII.

And that was with 24% unemployment and a manufacturing level that was not nearly as sophisticated as today.

You don't spin up an additional two shifts by just hanging out a sign and shoving any idiot who walks in the door on a machine.

Sure but making masks aint exactly Liberty ships either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

No It's not a liberty ship.

It's an entirely different sort of problem altogether.

You can hot rivet a ship together with hand tools and sufficient people-power to form rivet teams.

The face masks we need are produced in volume on automated machines, built to-order by specialized factories and workers, and have to be maintained by someone who knows the inside of a PLC from their rear end, In a sterile environment, while keeping social distance between the workers to prevent further virus spread, so you can't just sit a hundred people down at tables and have them sew these things together by hand, and even if you could, you would then need dozens more for QA testing, because repeatability on hand assembled products is usually poo poo.

Americans have been so removed from factory work for so long they have forgotten how all this stuff happens.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That Works posted:

Sure but making masks aint exactly Liberty ships either

Yeah liberty ships are easier

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MRC48B posted:

You can hot rivet a ship together with hand tools and sufficient people-power to form rivet teams.

The face masks we need are produced in volume on automated machines, built to-order by specialized factories and workers, and have to be maintained by someone who knows the inside of a PLC from their rear end, In a sterile environment, while keeping social distance between the workers to prevent further virus spread, so you can't just sit a hundred people down at tables and have them sew these things together by hand, and even if you could, you would then need dozens more for QA testing, because repeatability on hand assembled products is usually poo poo.

Americans have been so removed from factory work for so long they have forgotten how all this stuff happens.

So the largest manufacturer of N95 masks, 3M, does not make them in the USA? Seems that they do.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business/3m-defense-production-act-response/index.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Craig_A_Spencer/status/1245911306487713792?s=20

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

MRC48B posted:

Ok so what are going to do now? We outsourced health manufacturing and now we have we have to take it back because we cannot rely on strategic adversaries to resupply. gently caress PRC and India is too hard hit to rely on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Anyone speak portuguese? Did Bolsonaro just get removed?

https://www.eldestapeweb.com/nota/horacio-verbitsky-revelo-que-un-alto-militar-se-hizo-cargo-del-gobierno-de-brasil-2020438560

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Meshka posted:

India is too hard hit to rely on.

Are they? I haven't heard much about india

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That Works posted:

So the largest manufacturer of N95 masks, 3M, does not make them in the USA? Seems that they do.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business/3m-defense-production-act-response/index.html

And it took them quite a lot of time and hardware investment to go from empty building to product going out the door. It's not a game of Factorio. They don't have more "Mask making machine mk1" sitting in a box they can just crack open and power up.

Meshka posted:

Ok so what are going to do now? We outsourced health manufacturing and now we have we have to take it back because we cannot rely on strategic adversaries to resupply. gently caress PRC and India is too hard hit to rely on.

We die. We die because our Just-in-time manufacturing and lean and mean supply chains are not robust enough to take the simultaneous shocks of high demand, skilled labor shortage, and transport delays.

But that's ok. We saved a fraction of a percent on the books by cutting down on taxable assets sitting in warehouses.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Google says yes

google translate posted:

The military is the new "operational president" of Brazil. Jair Bolsonaro will continue in his position, although Horacio Verbitsky revealed on El Destape Radio that he will now do so "without effective power."

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are they? I haven't heard much about india

Currently having street-level civil unrest because the Indian government decided to strip citizenship from a significant portion of the population based on ethnicity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

What a way to start April.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Other goons elsewhere are looking at this with skepticism because of lack of supporting reporting from other sources. Regardless it shows that poo poo is unstable in brazil.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What does an Argentine journalist know about the inner workings of the Brazilian government?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

davecrazy posted:

What does an Argentine journalist know about the inner workings of the Brazilian government?

Probably not much. I should have worked more on my spanish.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Its time to remake Under Siege but they're stealing a skeleton crew staffed supercarrier.

e: okay this was a lot older than i realized

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 4, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That's not even portuguese.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Det_no posted:

That's not even portuguese.

Yeah I didn’t really scan much. It’s obviously in spanish and I’m a dingus.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Christ that is a rough read.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

davecrazy posted:

He heard that:

quote:

There was a telephone communication from a high-ranking chief of the Brazilian army with one from the Argentine, in which the Brazilian informed him that they had made the decision to bypass President Bolsonaro in all important decisions

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

What a way to start April.

Not even 4 days in

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

gently caress :smith:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I don't know about y'all, but I'm gonna stay up and have another drink after that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Two more Kennedys lost to the sea.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/robert-f-kennedys-granddaughter-and-her-young-son-missing-on-chesapeake-bay-family-says-2020-04-03/

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

MRC48B posted:

It turns out that it's not actually THAT hard to train people to make a mask in a fairly short period of time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
WHY

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1246261657086672896?s=20

...Well yes, I know why, but why now

......Well, yes, I know why now, but :suicide:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

should have stayed the gently caress at home

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MRC48B posted:

And it took them quite a lot of time and hardware investment to go from empty building to product going out the door. It's not a game of Factorio. They don't have more "Mask making machine mk1" sitting in a box they can just crack open and power up.

We die. We die because our Just-in-time manufacturing and lean and mean supply chains are not robust enough to take the simultaneous shocks of high demand, skilled labor shortage, and transport delays.

But that's ok. We saved a fraction of a percent on the books by cutting down on taxable assets sitting in warehouses.

3M is doubling production, Honeywell is tooling up a new plant (that will take weeks minimum) and the feds cleared industrial masks for hospital use.

https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/newsroom/news/2020/03/n95-mask-and-the-coronavirus-more-production-underway

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/19/change-us-law-will-make-millions-more-masks-available-doctors-nurses-white-house-says/

But ok we're all gonna die.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oceanic impulse getting out of hand with that family.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

EBB posted:

should have stayed the gently caress at home

I call it extreme social distancing

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

rich people dying is rad as hell when they forget that actions have consequences and do dumb poo poo when all of the emergency services are swamped

PookBear fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 4, 2020

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

PookBear posted:

rich people dying is rad as hell when they forget that actions have consequences and do dumb poo poo when all of the emergency services are swamped

Yeah, I find it really hard to care when dumb people die doing stupid poo poo. The name recognition doesn’t really make a difference?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

Yeah, I find it really hard to care when dumb people die doing stupid poo poo. The name recognition doesn’t really make a difference?

two more dead kennedy's is two more that won't be running for office

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PookBear posted:

we get it, you're edge as fukk

This post is not an endorsement of rich people in any way shape or form.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

PookBear posted:

two more dead kennedy's is two more that won't be running for office

I, too, cheer for the death of 8 year olds? Very rad!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Man, that family really is loving cursed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
If your surname is Kennedy, the best way to make sure you live a nice, fulfilling life is to petition the court to get that changed.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Old papa Kennedy must've made a deal with the devil in the 1920s. That's really the only explanation.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

https://youtu.be/tPx1yqvJgf4

The gently caress is this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That's an easy explanation.

Dickbags in the White House ignored the looming crisis for 6+ weeks, ignored the warnings, ignored rhe NSC playbook. That was 6 weeks we had to ramp up production, stage supplies, activate ANG and state guard units, and prepare. We lost 6 weeks because of denial and incompetence.

Because of that, every hospital and PPE manufacturer had to scramble when demand spiked. Because of the ongoing severe shortages of PPE at hospitals, they don't want anyone in the public buying and using actual N95s or other respirators, or half face masks, because that'll reduce the supply for our healthcare workers on the front lines, and they need it the most out of everyone. If more and more healthcare workers get sick, it decreases our ability to fight this thing.

Because of this, they don't want to tell people that they should be wearing masks, even though now we pretty much know it's going to lessen the chances of you getting infected (if you use it correctly). In addition to the supply issues, they're worried about the public not using the PPE correctly - see all the videos of morons touching their masks with bare hands (a huge no no - you need to take it off by the straps around your ears), and using gloves in public but touching everything they own, etc. People are loving stupid.

In short, it's a supply issue, plus they don't trust the average person to use it correctly.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 4, 2020