Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Raserys posted:

suffering game and stolen century really wore on me, but i felt like the drama in the conclusion was earned

Agreed on Suffering Game, but I really enjoyed Stolen Century. I was able to binge listen through Balance and Amnesty, though. Wonder how Graduation will fare once I can listen to it all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I'm glad someone else thinks so because reading people lauding the steadily increasing sappy melodrama in Balance made me feel like I was on another planet

There were plenty of people who felt this way when the show started moving in this direction, myself included, but you'd naturally find less of it over time since those types stopped listening and don't have anything to post about. I only dip in here occasionally now when I'm catching up on Monster Factory, which is the only McElroy content I really follow anymore since the shifted focus on TAZ and the whole thing with Nick.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I think the one thing i'd like out of Graduation we haven't got yet, unless the new ep addressed it, is just how the villain-hero set up works. I'd like to actually see it in action a little outside of just "you're a hero team, you're a villain team". Did they even do like "whichever team solves the problem, their house gets all the points" ?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Blockhouse posted:

People are not going to stop posting about TAZ in the McElroy Family thread because you don't like it.
But couldn't they? I want to imagine a better world is possible.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

IronicDongz posted:

I'm glad someone else thinks so because reading people lauding the steadily increasing sappy melodrama in Balance made me feel like I was on another planet

I liked it until I realized that was just gonna be the whole thing from then on

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Petals to the Metal was the most mechanics-heavy arc they did and I think it was the better for it. It actually felt like everyone was being driven by gameplay and danger more than plot, but they were all really enjoying it and you could tell they were having a blast from beginning to end

Rockport Limited was the funniest overall though

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Reaverbot posted:

Petals to the Metal was the most mechanics-heavy arc they did and I think it was the better for it.

I’ll grant you that Petals was the most mechanics-heavy arc, but frankly, I don’t see what the number of mechanics they meet in the arc has to do with its overall quality.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

maybe they should just play board games like Polygon does

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

maybe they should just play board games like Polygon does

Travis has a 10 page backstory for the thimble.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

let Jenna, Brian, Simone and Pat do an Adventure Zone campaign about their cyberpunk characters, and the McElroys play the werewolfy board games

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think Balance benefited from them spending basically its entire run finding its voice. Nothing was set in stone from the start, so reach adventure felt like its own thing that could lead anywhere if they tried. Every arc felt different enough that each one is somebody's favorite for different reasons.

Amnesty tried to carry the tone at the end of Balance through a whole series, and everything basically felt the same through the entire run. There were some neat little moments sprinkled in from time to time, but there wasn't a whole lot of room for fun.

Graduation seems like it's also trying to find its voice, but it's doing so in what seems to be a wholly realized world with even less room than Amnesty. There are some interesting concepts on the table, but I honestly don't know if anyone, including Travis, knows how to harness them in an entertaining or rewarding way.

I haven't listened to the last 2 episodes yet, because hearing Travis do his Gary voice right from the top made me realize that I was not enjoying this anymore.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Ariong posted:

I’ll grant you that Petals was the most mechanics-heavy arc, but frankly, I don’t see what the number of mechanics they meet in the arc has to do with its overall quality.

It doesn’t by default, but like I said, it felt like all the fighting and constantly being under threat of things going poorly as they were in that arc really guides them and got them super into it. The race was basically one big multifaceted encounter and that was the only part of the podcast that I can think of where someone actually stopped griffin mid play and told him how awesome what they were doing was

I think it felt like a perfect balance of them being able to do shenanigans but also being guided and motivated to accomplish something

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Reaverbot posted:

It doesn’t by default, but like I said, it felt like all the fighting and constantly being under threat of things going poorly as they were in that arc really guides them and got them super into it. The race was basically one big multifaceted encounter and that was the only part of the podcast that I can think of where someone actually stopped griffin mid play and told him how awesome what they were doing was

I think it felt like a perfect balance of them being able to do shenanigans but also being guided and motivated to accomplish something

I don't disagree and it's one of my top favorite arcs, but I think you missed a pun.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
oh gently caress there's like 80 new posts in the McElroy thread did one of them finally milkshake duck us or-

Oh, Graduation is still bad.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TheArchimage posted:

oh gently caress there's like 80 new posts in the McElroy thread did one of them finally milkshake duck us or-

impressive how you managed to make a worse version of a "x new posts" post

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The 7th Guest posted:

let Jenna, Brian, Simone and Pat do an Adventure Zone campaign about their cyberpunk characters, and the McElroys play the werewolfy board games

The polygon crew and mcelroys play Paranoia

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sankis posted:

The polygon crew and mcelroys play Paranoia

Yes please

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TheArchimage posted:

Oh, Graduation is still bad.

The word "finally" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this post

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I watched the CUSS stream last night (Travis's quarterly stand up show he hosts in Cincinatti), and he refers to his co-host as "co-Travis" because of course he does.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

I watched the CUSS stream last night (Travis's quarterly stand up show he hosts in Cincinatti), and he refers to his co-host as "co-Travis" because of course he does.

Jesus christ

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I listened to about half an hour of Rude Tales of Magic (which is great, thanks thread for recommending it), and already I can see why it works so much better than Graduation. I’m not saying Graduation doesn’t work at all, and it doesn’t have to have the same tone as RToM to be good, but whether it’s funny or serious the whole point of collective storytelling is they’re all reacting to each other and adapting as they go. A lot of people got on Griffin for keeping the story on rails and not letting them change things, but after the fact it was revealed a bunch of stuff changed and Griffin was just good as weaving it into the story. The original jet pack scene was one of my favorites from Amnesty because it was Griffin getting caught off guard and having to frantically figure out how to make that work in the scene.

I don’t hate Travis, but his self-diagnosed narcissism isn’t doing him any favors as a DM. A lot of his reactions to things come across as “But thou must” NPC decision trees. I’m sure Argo would have actually had a choice to join Bone Thugs N Harmony or whatever the secret society was, but I feel like if he had said no Travis wouldn’t have wanted to drop that thread and spent the rest of the campaign either urging him to join or making him an unofficial member somehow.

All of Graduation then hinges on Travis being a captivating storyteller, which he is not. That doesn’t mean it can’t have its moments, but the foundation just isn’t there for me.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The word "finally" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this post
I didn't mean to sound like I've been anxiously waiting for them to turn out to be shitheads. I'm as glad as anyone the McElroy boys are as wholesome and conscientious as they appear.
Getting called out for posting about posting is a fair cop, though.
For content, I don't think Travis being Travis is the reason Graduation is bad. It is the reason I have little hope of it getting better. Travis is capable of self-reflection and admitting mistakes, but I don't think he's going to put that sort of psychological effort into an elfgame.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Travis is bad actually.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I couldn't imagine MBMBAM without Travis McElroy, I think he's good in that, but I also would rather listen to nothing than listen to a Travis McElroy D&D campaign.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

People are being really mean to Travis for like no real good reason.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The reason is probably that Travis sucks

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I generally like Travis but his “no, and” style of improv does not gel with being a DM and it’s pretty frustrating to listen to

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't really like Travis very much because I think he's not very funny. But in the past when I've said "I don't like Travis" to people they start thinking he did something horrible like "Oh no what did he do??? :(" or they think it's a lovely and mean thing to say (which, fair point, they might be right). He's not a war criminal, he just doesn't always tell very good jokes on the podcasts he records with his brothers, this doesn't merit real negativity towards him.

e: I don't listen to TAZ anymore so I can't comment on that but he may very well be a lovely DM, this also doesn't mean that anyone hates or should hate him personally.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Graduation just needs more combat.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Yeah, I’m not hating on Travis. You can tell he is trying really, really hard to deliver something good. I just think what he’s doing is misguided in its structure and that’s partly based off his personality. I want him to pull it off in the end, but I’m not sure he can with the current track he’s on.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Just have Clint run the next game, even if it's bad nobody will have the heart to talk poo poo about it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Travis is super annoying, but harmlessly so, so it's whatever.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Half of Dracula posted:

Just have Clint run the next game, even if it's bad nobody will have the heart to talk poo poo about it

That would certainly work on me! Although if it really was bad I'd just stop listening to it, like I have with TAZ.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zero One posted:

Graduation just needs more combat.

I think this is a catch-22.

Travis' idea of combat is, outside of the imps, like two round skirmishes where nothing is on the line and you get no rewards at the end, but I feel like if he tries to do anything deeper the show is going to collapse under the weight of none of them internalizing how to actually play the game despite doing so for the better part of three years.

They really shouldn't have gone back to D&D.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

misadventurous posted:

I generally like Travis but his “no, and” style of improv does not gel with being a DM and it’s pretty frustrating to listen to
Yeah, it's this. I like Travis! I can tell he's super enthusiastic about Graduation! There's some good poo poo in there! But the critical flaw is he hasn't mastered the balance of guiding along the story while letting the players make their own weird-rear end decisions. People talk about Amnesty being way more tight-knit than Balance and all the pros and cons of that, but even in Amnesty there were moments where the players did something Griffin 100% didn't expect that drastically changed the story.

None of this is me hating on Travis, because I know I would do worse trying to do a similar thing. I also know he's not reading this. IDK, it feels like the thread is so down on Graduation partially bc when things happen that we like, it's just, oh, I like thing, but when things are not quite landing I personally want to dissect why.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I've tried to start discussions on what I like about Graduation and the plot but nobody has been biting. :(

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PetraCore posted:

I've tried to start discussions on what I like about Graduation and the plot but nobody has been biting. :(

I honestly can't think of anything I really like and it's a bummer. I even liked the boys' characters at first but as time goes on and the wheels keep spinning in place there's not even anything to latch onto with them. Justin doesn't seem particularly interested in trying to do anything, Griffin's trying to do things and then getting shut down, and Clint's doing things but they're being dragged out forever and then co-opted so Travis' can have even more control of the narrative.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I had the idea a while back that they should just bring on a seasoned GM to run the game for the four of them to play, and I think every passing episode of TAZ is a good argument for this idea.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
You gotta pay someone to do that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

You gotta pay someone to do that though

They'd make it back with people actually wanting to listen again. Their listener rates must've fallen off a drat cliff if I had my guess