Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Trump talking about corona prediction models: "I never touched a model, well not that kind of model."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Zteuer posted:

Trump talking about corona prediction models: "I never touched a model, well not that kind of model."
Are you joking or did he really say that because I honestly can't tell.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

Honestly, that's how I heard it in the press conference.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Methanar posted:

lol appendecitis is going to approach 100% fatality rate

I'm loving lucky I got my appendix removed last July.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Trump doesn't even need to run in Nov you could have an AI loaded with his sound bites that would destroy Biden.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Shaocaholica posted:

Trump doesn't even need to run in Nov you could have an AI loaded with his sound bites that would destroy Biden.
I mean, there’s plenty of time for him to catch it and die.

On the other hand, President Pence is probably even more grim.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

Meanwhile, this paper came out in Nature Medicine literally today (they'd been collecting data from 2013-16, dunno why they waited so long to publish) on the efficacy of surgical masks for blocking virus transmission: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

So yeah, wear a mask.

:yeah:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I have a few of those around the face ski masks (Amazon had many of those) but my issue would be getting them off without contaminating myself. I want something that will open in the back / unhook so I don't have to pull the sars2 over my head kuz if it folds and touches my face the limited

in case you didn't see before: i tried a bunch of mask tutorials and this one is by far the best, showing how to integrate a paper filter and a nose wire, while requiring no destruction, glue or sewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6QYaMTKxBQ

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Now I see an article about using ivermectin to kill covid19. Are they just trying every possible drug at this point? It's just an in vitro study so far.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab/ar-BB1288OH

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

New federal guide lines say to maybe use mask in public or... maybe not, president probably will not but hes not sure yet.

edit: better link on last page oops

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Boomer who looked at the eclipse without eye protection suggests just put a scarf over your face.
We're all doing a great job!

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
First Etsy purchase of the year this week was a small collection of face masks. I'll be ready to mask up in style

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zugzwang posted:

https://twitter.com/DNCWarRoom/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Trump wear the hentai mask.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

in case you didn't see before: i tried a bunch of mask tutorials and this one is by far the best, showing how to integrate a paper filter and a nose wire, while requiring no destruction, glue or sewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6QYaMTKxBQ

I looked at this video and I’m gonna try it tomorrow! What kind of metal did you use for the nosepiece? I was thinking I’d use paperclips, but thought you might have a better suggestion. Also, it seems like it might be hard to wash without messing is up, have you had any trouble with that?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Here's how I'm surviving:

Keeping a physical record of booze I'm drinking.

Nioh 2 on Ps4 till FF7 comes out.

American Dad y'all.

Nitro Takis.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I looked at this video and I’m gonna try it tomorrow! What kind of metal did you use for the nosepiece? I was thinking I’d use paperclips, but thought you might have a better suggestion. Also, it seems like it might be hard to wash without messing is up, have you had any trouble with that?

I use one of these bendy strips used to keep plastic bags of cereal, etc. closed.

As for washing, yeah, you gotta take it apart. And you should anyhow, as the paper filter needs to be replaced once it's moist, as the moisture is good at holding infectants.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

yo pet your dog pls

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Mithaldu posted:

yo pet your dog pls

he shouldnt have to be told

shame.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

April 10th: Forums poster A R-Kid dies due to petting corona-infected adorable dog

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

like a hot knife through butter

wyoak posted:

flattening also gives more time for antivirals and vaccines to be trialed

edit: Lots and lots of companies are doing virtual happy hours, I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's one of those things that has been showing up on LinkedIn that good leaders should be doing

they can gently caress off with that tbqh, I hope my boss isn't reading linkedin

Excelzior posted:

wouldn't work in america

we gave the world rolling coal. utterly shameless

oh that drone would be downed within an hour of launch, I have little doubt

if you just look at this as satire it's really quite funny

of course, it isn't. but I prefer to imagine that it is

not nearly detailed enough, come on now I want a coronavirus not a loving red ball with yellow spikes

these are much better

Hardawn posted:

I've just got one question for that so-called covid-19 expert panel if I'm laying on my back with my feet up in the air and my rear end cheeks spread and someone walks by who has tested positive and they cough in the vicinity of my rear end in a top hat can I become infected from that? Is no orifice safe?

You haven't sealed up your rear end in a top hat with epoxy yet? loving idiot

There Bias Two posted:

Sure, but people are often reactionary.

If anything, it would be bats that would need culling/population control or some other methods of suppression, as they've been the originators of most of these deadly coronavirus outbreaks

wow he actually said that lmao

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Mithaldu posted:

yo pet your dog pls

He gets plenty of love don't worry.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

He gets plenty of love don't worry.

mission complete, we can close the thread :haw:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dixville posted:

Now I see an article about using ivermectin to kill covid19. Are they just trying every possible drug at this point? It's just an in vitro study so far.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab/ar-BB1288OH

Yes, for the most part they are throwing everything that's already been approved at it because if something is somehow effective, it's way easier to use something offlabel than it is to get something new approved

Oh and have this

https://twitter.com/NaderDIssa/stat...ingawful.com%2F

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 4, 2020

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

American Dad y'all.

Nitro Takis.
Jesus gently caress

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, for the most part they are throwing everything that's already been approved at it because if something is somehow effective, it's way easier to use something offlabel than it is to get something new approved

Oh and have this

https://twitter.com/NaderDIssa/stat...ingawful.com%2F

That makes sense. I thought an anti parasite drug was really reaching but apparently it has antiviral effects too somehow.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

QuarkJets posted:

loving Awful app ate my effort post.

In short, the normal death rate in New York state is primarily due to heart disease and cancer, things that do not go away with social distancing:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/newyork/newyork.htm

In fact car fatalities in NYC are a negligible factor, it's hard to drive fast there. According to the NYT they hit a record low of 200 traffic fatalities for the entire year of 2018:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/01/nyregion/traffic-deaths-decrease-nyc.html

NY state had nearly 600 coronavirus deaths yesterday, mostly in NYC, and that daily rate continues to grow exponentially. NY state in 2017 had an average of 430 deaths/day, and from the CDC data we know that the vast majority of those aren't going away with social distancing (people are still dying of cancer, heart disease, etc).
Nearly 600 deaths overnight in NY state due to coronavirus :
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/04/03/cuomo-new-york-daily-coronavirus-deaths-near-600/
Mortality statistics for NY state in 2017:
https://www.health.ny.gov/statistics/vital_statistics/2017/table31a.htm

So in summary, in NY state coronavirus alone has already far exceeded all other causes of death combined for a typical day in a typical year. And it's getting exponentially worse.

Thanks for this. NYC is proper hosed. We're in a more rural area in Eastern LI so it's hard to believe how bad it's gotten. But it has already spread here so who knows how long it take for our hospitals to get overrun.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

American Dad y'all.

Nitro Takis.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

American Dad y'all.

Nitro Takis.

I can tell we have the same headset because mine has a roll of tape on it too.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

loving love takis

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
https://mobile.twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1246138378279583744

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

loving love takis

I used to sell the things and always wondered who bought anything but Fuego and Guac. Goons. It's goons.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Who needs a central bank?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If "other banks follow suit", and the caveat is "borrowed from before" at any given point, are there a lot of small businesses without any prior loan history with the banks that are doing the same?

I'm not arguing in favor of this practice. I'm asking "What percentage of small businesses do not have a credit history with a bank from which they can borrow"?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh god we are so screwed. Millions of Americans are going to die by the time this is over.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I said come in! posted:

Ooh god we are so screwed. Millions of Americans are going to die by the time this is over.

There are also rumors, if they’re not just fact at this point, that trump is prioritizing what states get help based on which ones will help him get re-elected.

Also if the governor of said state hasn’t been mean to him.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

remember that libertarian that destroyed Sears by making departments fight each other for essentials

imagine that, only they are making states fight for literal survival

if this doesn't teach us why there should be a separation between government and business I dunno what will

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

If "other banks follow suit", and the caveat is "borrowed from before" at any given point, are there a lot of small businesses without any prior loan history with the banks that are doing the same?

I'm not arguing in favor of this practice. I'm asking "What percentage of small businesses do not have a credit history with a bank from which they can borrow"?

A bunch of self-employed independent contractors who could support a whole family off what they made with a truck full of tools and a ladder..

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Durf posted:

remember that libertarian that destroyed Sears by making departments fight each other for essentials

imagine that, only they are making states fight for literal survival

if this doesn't teach us why there should be a separation between government and business I dunno what will

Hunger Games Beta Version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rolo posted:

There are also rumors, if they’re not just fact at this point, that trump is prioritizing what states get help based on which ones will help him get re-elected.

Also if the governor of said state hasn’t been mean to him.

The rumors are corroborated, at least. Doesn't mean they're true, distribution of support could just be incompetently managed, but the trend is ongoing and suspicious