Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hahaha the awkward smoke break gently caress yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Poor Bill, he just wanted to go scuba diving :(

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I know it's out of sync with the rewatch happening, but I've just recently finishing watching all of Twin Peaks after starting a couple of months ago. What a wild ride, it took most of the pilot to get a read on the tone the show was going for but I fell in love by the end. I didn't know very much going in, but I wasn't expecting so many little moments of humour throughout, I was impressed how much it shifts around in tone all the time.

I can imagine rewatching the original run after seeing the entire show would be great but I'll have to put a lot of time in between before I can even consider that.

What a masterpiece of a show, and season 3 is just on a whole new level. I still get some of the soundtrack popping into my head while I'm doing other things. It's really something special. Also liked the huge shift in music/sound design in the last season, it feels like there's a lot there to go back and appreciate. It was still a great moment having the main theme kick in towards the end of the season though.

I'm feeling pretty hard-pressed to start another show at this point. As a bonus I convinced another friend to give it a shot as well, he's just getting to the season 1 finale and is completely on board as well.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 29, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That scene where Mrs. Briggs tells Bobby that his father never gave up his faith that things would turn out alright for him is just so, so beautiful, and a wonderful counterpoint to the far more in-your-face emotional reaction Dana Ashbrook gives in the scene where he sees Laura's picture. It feels like a genuinely sweet mirror/echo of the scene in the diner where the Major tells Bobby about his vision for Bobby's future where everything turns out all right :shobon:

It blows me away how many great scenes I remember so well were in this episode in particular (the smoke break in particular :vince:), perhaps because it follows Episode 8 and that looms so large in my head that it's easy to forget the episode that followed has so much going on and really does feel like things are starting to come together: two Coopers, finding the ring with Dougie and Janey-E's names on it, Dougie becoming fixated on an electrical socket, Diane getting the message from Mr. C, Bill explaining what happened with the Major (who got away! Yay!), all coupled with wonderful little character beats like Lucy and Andy's adorable little squabble with a wholesome ending. Man I love this show.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Quote of the week: "What the – ?" (Hawk)

- drat, Diane just dresses ten times better than anyone else in the show. She just looks so good. :allears:
- Ugh, that itchy armpit rash. :barf:
- I love the song that closes out this episode in particular. The canon-type singing is both beautiful and kind of creepy. Like someone getting lost in the forest and walking past the same tree a second time.

Rageaholic posted:

Poor Bill, he just wanted to go scuba diving :(

Matthew Lillard is a real revelation for me. I don't think I've ever consciously noticed him in anything other than Scooby Doo. (Looking at his filmography, I guess he's mostly Shaggy except for a few serious roles every once in a while.) He is such a good actor, though. When Hastings whines about scooba scuba diving, he really finds a balance between comedy and tragedy.

This is also the one scene in which I find Tammy kind of compelling. She feels like a bit of a non-entity for most of the show. Here, she comes off as competent, well-prepared and generally as someone you want to trust.

Toast King posted:

I didn't know very much going in, but I wasn't expecting so many little moments of humour throughout, I was impressed how much it shifts around in tone all the time.

It's easy to forget that Twin Peaks is often extremely funny. People just tend to focus so much on the dark and creepy elements, but Lynch brings a lot of great absurdist humour to the show as well.

Jerusalem posted:

Dougie becoming fixated on an electrical socket

The patriotic music while Dougie's looking at the flag only for him to get distracted by some nice legs really cracks me up.

Rageaholic posted:

This is another scene that looks better in motion than in stills, but here are a few:

Yeah, I guess that's to be expected when looking at something this chaotic. Still, the second one in particular turned out really great. Looks simultaneously quite a bit like water to me, and like the stars Cooper was falling towards:

For this week, could I please get screenshots of
- Gordon squeezing Diane's shoulder on the plane
- Diane's stylish suit at the morgue
- Not Jerry's foot?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

For this week, could I please get screenshots of
- Gordon squeezing Diane's shoulder on the plane
- Diane's stylish suit at the morgue
- Not Jerry's foot?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
RIP Krzysztof Penderecki :(

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor Jerry, he's on a looooooong journey.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Slightly belated as we saw Episode 8 weekend before last, but I wanted to comment on something. The really, really obvious answer to the meaning of then White Horse is staring us right in the face, and I feel, uh, pretty stupid. So what DOES the white horse mean, or symbolize? Both in the context of episode 8, and the entire show, what does this actually mean, really?

Our woodsman SHOWS us precisely what he is talking about in a demonstration, I finally noticed my last time watching it! After he repeats his verse for the final time, he looks over and effortfully finishes tearing off the disc-jockey's head that he has been slowly crushing/clutching his whole time on the radio.

I'll post a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

The white of the eye - the horse is the white of the eye while looking away from horrific violence. The white of the eye is the blindness to the violence, ergo the white horse represents the *unseeing* eye, as opposed to the all-seeing eye. Perhaps this is why Sarah Palmer sees it when Leland drugs her.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 31, 2020

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Interesting interpretation. I'd honestly say almost the exact opposite. It's an indication of sadism. The white of the eyes reminds me of: "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes.", a saying that teaches you to make the fight close and personal so you don't miss. You can only see the white of the eyes when you're extremely close, staring someone right in the face (as you relish the moment of crushing their skull. Note, he didn't take nearly as long killing the secretary, and I don't think it's because the DJ was more thick headed).

The white horse is also associated with a conqueror in the apocalypse of John. The rider of the white horse is a dominating figure.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 31, 2020

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I also want to note something else from episode 8, if you guys will bear with me.

Something that has never sat well with me is, basically, any explanation of the egg that hatches with the frog-moth inside of it. The overall consensus is that, as the egg initially resembled the ones that The Experiment/JUDY vomited up in the stream that included BOB, the egg we see hatching the frog-moth which climbs into Young Sarah Palmer's mouth came from that stream. This would seem to make a certain logical sense, as it certainly seemed like if JUDY was possessing anyone, it was Sarah Palmer, by the end of the series.

But... Is that really what we saw in Episode 8? I have a slightly different theory about both the Egg, and the frog-moth. I actually do not think that the egg comes from Judy's stream, but I think it's meant to look like that's where it's from. From what we can tell, all the eggs from that stream, and the BOB-orb, went someplace else - maybe some place in the past. In any case, we do not see any of those eggs enter the real world.

What we do see, directly prior to the introduction of the egg hatching in 1956, is the Fireman creating the Golden Laura Orb (egg?) and Señorita Dido kissing it and sending it through the film screen and into the world of Twin Peaks. Where do we see the Orb head to, on the globe? If you watch closely, you will see it is headed RIGHT for southwest America, right about where Arizona/New Mexico are.

The very next thing we see is the cut to the desert with the date and location (August 5 1956 which is very precise) and we are immediately shown is THE EGG sitting in the desert, right after Señorita Dido sent the Orb to southwest America. It seems completely reasonable and logical to me that the egg and subsequent hatched Frog-Moth are carrying the essence of Laura Palmer, the golden orb. And we see the frog-moth enter Sarah Palmer, and we know that Laura Palmer will, eventually, come back out of Sarah Palmer. Uh, so to speak.

So that's my original contribution, sorry if this has been worked out before but it seems to really clearly be the case. The more I think about it, the more obvious it seems and the less it makes sense for the Egg to be from Judy's vomit stream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But in that case, the entire process by the Woodsmen seems designed to set up the situation where somebody is available for the frog-moth to enter, which would appear to closely link The Woodsmen/The Frog-Moth together. I don't think that The Giant would create a process that required the use of the Woodsmen and especially not set it all up via violence/death.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
:allears: I just want to say that I'm so proud of everyone for implicitly agreeing to call it the Frog-Moth.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cephas posted:

:allears: I just want to say that I'm so proud of everyone for implicitly agreeing to call it the Frog-Moth.

There is precedent after all :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSP-ewdJYJc&t=605s

My interpretation of Ep8 is that it's loosely an origin story of Twin Peaks itself. That is, the show itself as opposed to anything in-universe. The original show Twin Peaks is largely a throwback to a more idyllic time when David Lynch was a kid, an anachronistic 50s/60s period piece where Harry S Truman is the man in charge and Andy Griffith, Lucille Ball, and James Dean all have appropriately thematic main characters named after them. The black and white parts of Ep8 reads to me like Lynch telling the story of why he made Twin Peaks (and Mark Frost did refer to it as a Twin Peaks origin story), with the start of the atomic age sewing the seeds of the fear that would begin to take root inside children who grew up around in the 50s, like Lynch himself. Twin Peaks is Lynch's nostalgic exploration of that time period and the things that destroyed it and ushered in a modern, more fearful era. From that point of view, the image of a corrupt fear-inspiring version of Abe Lincoln taking over the airwaves and putting everyone to sleep so that they can be invaded by a sinister bug seems downright literal. The glowing Laura orb isn't just Laura the Twin Peaks character, it is Twin Peaks itself.

For an interesting time, watch the first segment of this interview from years before Twin Peaks and think about it in relation to Twin Peaks and Episode 8 in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmsJvR2sVmA&t=195s

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I really like that read, Volte

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/1245766928142151680

lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God his hair, it's like he's trying to grow a second David Lynch out of his head :allears:

I hope they do episode 3 like many seem to be suggesting, I love the Tibet scene.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God his hair, it's like he's trying to grow a second David Lynch out of his head :allears:

I hope they do episode 3 like many seem to be suggesting, I love the Tibet scene.

*entire thread leans forward in unison on their chairs at the word TIBET*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kaworu posted:

*entire thread leans forward in unison on their chairs at the word TIBET*

That was seriously the moment where I finally understood that this show was something gloriously special :allears:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Volte posted:

Andy Griffith, Lucille Ball, and James Dean all have appropriately thematic main characters named after them.

Oh goddammit I just realized this. What a show

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
When is the Coop hosted let's watch, goons? I don't want to miss it!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hub Dirt posted:

When is the Coop hosted let's watch, goons? I don't want to miss it!

I guess the 30th anniversary of the premiere, which is Wednesday April 8th.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I loving hate Richard

e: RIP Harry Dean Stanton :smith:

"It's a loving nightmare."

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 5, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Candie :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dougie's face after he gets laid lol

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The FUCKS are back!! :argh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww, Albert's so cute :3:

e: Ahhhhhh, Laura :stare:

e2: So Mr. C set up the glass box to catch...Judy? Good Coop?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 5, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Truman = True men :eng101:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Rageaholic posted:

Dougie's face after he gets laid lol

Jade gives TWO rides!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Aww, Albert's so cute :3:

e: Ahhhhhh, Laura :stare:

e2: So Mr. C set up the glass box to catch...Judy? Good Coop?

There are some interesting theories about the existence of the Glass Box.

I don't know how many of you guys have seen this video that got uploaded to youtube from an account called 'Twin Perfect' last fall - it is a four and a half hour long detailed analysis of the show, making the audacious claim of revealing the "Definitive Meaning of Twin Peaks". It's actually not that bad, and it's quite professionally done and even well-paced and engaging, given the subject matter and exhaustive nature of the video.

It's an interesting video, and most certainly worth watching if you're the kinda person who cares enough to read this thread. The basis of his analysis is that Twin Peaks is a self-aware TV show that is meant to be a metaphor/microcosm of TV itself. I think he actually makes some fantastic and VERY correct analyses concerning various aspects of the show.

For example... Take the Little Man/The Arm, and put him up against The Giant/The Fireman. They are both Lodge Spirits, they both give Coop hints, we know they are related or connected in some way. We know that there has always been something rather more dark and sinister about The Arm, while The Fireman seems to be wholly a force of goodness/positivity. Twin Perfect posits that the "secret" is essentially that the Little Man represents the spirit of television entertainment which tends to be violent, low-brow, satisfying but ultimately empty, broadcast onto a *small* screen (Lynch hates small screens) and thus is represented by someone much physically smaller than normal.

Whereas conversely you have the Giant and the spirit of film. Film is deep, thoughtful, portentous'; where television entertainment offers half-hour homiles and stories that always reveal the "secret" and wrap themselves up into a neat bow with no consequences at the end, whereas film tackles real issues in a deeply thought-out and artistic manner. And of course, like people on film screens, The Fireman is physically larger than normal.

It is very hard to argue with that particular interpretation once you see it, I have to admit. And it is definitely illuminating and makes many things make a lot more sense. But it's far from perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, Chad is such a piece of poo poo. I know he's small potatoes next to the likes of Richard (himself small potatoes next to the likes of Mr. C) but ugggh he's such a slimeball.

I love how much in this episode and prior ones that we get to see just how deeply corrosive drugs are to the town, which was present but not as in-your-face in season 1 and 2 in spite of Laura being a cokehead and Bobby being a dealer.

Ben finally grew up and didn't try to hit on a pretty lady working for him and then the moment he hits a speedbump he immediately jumps back to his old habits :sigh:

Dougie quietly repeating,"I love you" to Janey-E is so incredibly sweet even if he's just echoing what she said :shobon:

kaworu posted:

For example... Take the Little Man/The Arm, and put him up against The Giant/The Fireman. They are both Lodge Spirits, they both give Coop hints, we know they are related or connected in some way. We know that there has always been something rather more dark and sinister about The Arm, while The Fireman seems to be wholly a force of goodness/positivity. Twin Perfect posits that the "secret" is essentially that the Little Man represents the spirit of television entertainment which tends to be violent, low-brow, satisfying but ultimately empty, broadcast onto a *small* screen (Lynch hates small screens) and thus is represented by someone much physically smaller than normal.

If you take this as a given, then what is the significance of "The Evolution of the Arm" and the way it has become imposing in size and multi-limbed? Is it supposed to represent the growth of television for long-form storytelling via the likes of prestige drama? The way streaming media has spread out so far to the (arguable) detriment of film? I mean, I don't necessarily agree with the premise in the first place (I don't disagree either, it's just not a theory I'm all that familiar with) but on face value it does seem important that The Arm changes from a little person to an incomprehensible writhing mass of tree limbs with a faceless mouth between seasons.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Jerusalem posted:

If you take this as a given, then what is the significance of "The Evolution of the Arm" and the way it has become imposing in size and multi-limbed? [...]on face value it does seem important that The Arm changes from a little person to an incomprehensible writhing mass of tree limbs with a faceless mouth between seasons.

"Dear Twitter Friends,"

When the evolution of the arm says I am the Arm and I sound like this and makes some quiet whispy noises, what is that sound supposed to be in reference to? When the Arm originally does the "indian whooping noises" the show later translates that into the sound of telecom electrical poles.

The first thing that comes to mind to me, if we're operating on the assumption that "Arm = TV, Evolution of the Arm with many branches = ?" is that the Evolution is the Internet and the quiet sound is supposed to be the muffled sound of fiber optic cables under the ocean, maybe. There is a bit of Internet use in Season 3, and we do get Coop sent into a vast and endless ocean, but I don't know if that really adds up. Just not sure what the sound is supposed to be.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought the sound was supposed to be its meagre attempt at doing the whooping sound with no hands.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Also that Twin Perfect video has a few very good ideas, especially about FWWM being a rumination on the fate of Twin Peaks as a TV show and the role that the TV landscape, and TV audiences completely missing the point of the show, played in its demise, but it's wrapped up in a load of over-rationalized horseshit that desperately wants Twin Peaks to be a direct allegory for David Lynch's hatred of TV. It starts with some interpretations that could hold water but then builds on those as if they are undeniable axioms, and continues to do so for four hours until it eventually concludes that Twin Peaks season 3 was David Lynch saying "gently caress you" to the audience for liking Twin Peaks too much and forcing him to resurrect and ruin it somehow. As if David Lynch is the kind of person who would create art out of spite.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly what is is about David Lynch and these slow brooding songs about dreeeeeaaaaams

How many of these drat things does he have in him

e: also what the hell is that dog-deer thing Cole is drawing with the Sharpie, with the suit-clad arm reaching out to it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Jade gives TWO rides!

I'll bet she did 😡

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also uh, what does "Now I know how Brando felt" mean?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/elissawashuta/status/1246821842347753476?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Honestly at this point let it