Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Vitamin P posted:

I absolutely love that the dumb-dumb online response to this hasn't been the legit 'okay I don't like authoritatianism but clearly strong lockdown works and private financial interests in healthcare systems causes predictable inefficiencies' it's been 'China caused the virus to gently caress the world they only handled it better because they knew it was coming'.

Well South Korea is going to become the ultimate example to study and follow from this point on because for the first week of the spread they seemed like they were hosed with mass infections from religious gatherings and instead seem to have done the best and fairly sustainable curve flattening imaginable.

1933 - the original premiere of King Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

I absolutely love that the dumb-dumb online response to this hasn't been the legit 'okay I don't like authoritatianism but clearly strong lockdown works and private financial interests in healthcare systems causes predictable inefficiencies' it's been 'China caused the virus to gently caress the world they only handled it better because they knew it was coming'.

Also noted fan of China, South Korea, is involved somehow.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you want to find bizarre correlations it seems to be countries that operate a percentile based education system doing better in the face of coronavirus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You're a coward for not showing the Cells at Work anime versions.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Honestly pretty damning that my thoughts atm are 'boy I sure hope that seeing lorries getting loaded full of corpses before convoying their merry way along to the mass burial grounds finally forces people to have a good old think about things, but I bet it won't'

I'm torn between laughing my head off at the absurd predictability of it all, and getting seriously morose thinking of all the good people who are going to needlessly die as a result with their murderers getting away with it while probably joking about it behind closed doors

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

You're being a bit unfair here because I obviously didn't say that and I know it's nowhere near enough to live off for the great majority of people. On your edit though, I think the £400/month is now the standard figure (or just short, because it's like £95/week), and that the additional £20/week they're giving is going to be added during the crisis period making it £450-500/month total. This is coming from someone I know at the DWP but I don't have anything specifically saying that so who knows. Yes, I agree that it's pretty laughable.

Sorry if it seems that I'm being unfair, but what people are going to remember after this is lots of folk saying "it wasn't as bad as I thought" and there's no way that any nuance beyond that will be retained

The standard allowance is still £317, and the extra £20 a week is applied on top of that. Of course it goes away after a year, because presumably cost of living will just have magically dropped no one that anyone gives two shits about will be claiming it by then

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

If you want to find bizarre correlations it seems to be countries that operate a percentile based education system doing better in the face of coronavirus.

What do you mean by 'percentile based education system'? Not heard of that term before and google not helping!

Azza Bamboo posted:

You're a coward for not showing the Cells at Work anime versions.

The world of anime is a stranger to me.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tarnop posted:

Sorry if it seems that I'm being unfair, but what people are going to remember after this is lots of folk saying "it wasn't as bad as I thought" and there's no way that any nuance beyond that will be retained

You are right and I'll be careful not to be so flippant about it amongst people who I don't know are already onside

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Azza Bamboo posted:

Japan has just been lying until the IOC delayed the Olympics though lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
EoSINOphil

The perfidious Chinese are in our very bodies!! :derp:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Until they get a little too riled up and kill you via ARDS

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What do you mean by 'percentile based education system'? Not heard of that term before and google not helping!

We don't use percentile based. The way we get graded is by assigning grades to a certain percentage of the total marks available in your assessments. So if you get, say 80% of all the available marks you get an A or however we've arbitrarily assigned it.

In China, South Korea and some parts of Japan it doesn't work like that. The way it works is that all students in any given year are ranked in order according to how many marks they attained. The top 80% of students in that list get an A.

It means the grades don't represent where your level of knowledge is, but what percentile of that particular year of students you're in. It means you're competing with your entire year, not your exam board, and getting high grades is all that much harder.

Countries which use this system tend to perform better in STEM subjects and also tend to have higher suicide rates among youth.

E: to clarify, I don't mean your year as in your year within your school. I mean your year as in everybody who took that particular course with that particular examination board in that year.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 4, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Azza Bamboo posted:

So the trusts are giving their equity to NHSE for this writeoff?

Christ if Jezza had done this the headlines would be "Corbyn Communises Healthcare Mid Crisis"

Sounds like you've been encumbered with some knowledge that bears absolutely no use to you in your life, friend.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

We don't use percentile based. The way we get graded is by assigning grades to a certain percentage of the total marks available in your assessments. So if you get, say 80% of all the available marks you get an A or however we've arbitrarily assigned it.

In China, South Korea and some parts of Japan it doesn't work like that. The way it works is that all students in any given year are ranked in order according to how many marks they attained. The top 80% of students in that list get an A.

It means the grades don't represent where your level of knowledge is, but what percentile of that particular year of students you're in. It means you're competing with your entire year, not your exam board, and getting high grades is all that much harder.

Countries which use this system tend to perform better in STEM subjects and also tend to have higher suicide rates among youth.

Right. When I was at school, that was sort of how O and A levels were graded - the top however many % would get A or 1 whatever the top grade was back then and so on. That meant that there was an underlying assumption that those taking a particular A level, say, from one year to the next, were of similar ability so if the paper was a bit tough and the highest mark was 35% then the top 10% or whatever it was would still get A. Getting an A was quite special and getting 3xAs meant you were some kind of genius. (I only got one A :D )

Re your edit: yes I understood that. Everyone taking that exam that year in the whole country/world/universe.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 4, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I'm aware that was how it worked when I was at school, which was how I got a B in maths despite only answering about half the paper and probably getting most of the rest wrong.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I checked the details of the upcoming changes to universal credit.

The standard rate will be £322.22 per month after the inflation linked increase of £4.40 that was due this month anyway. The £20 a week extra for a year translates to £86.67 a month on top of that.

This means that next April, UC claimants will eat a 21% cut. Presumably in the middle of a severe recession.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Been a while since I've posted The Chart

they've decided to make it a 7-day rolling average for some reason. The trends are pretty clear though, especially the trend of the UK and US loving this up big time

Some poor intern graphic designer got the job of updating the graph and decided this was their big break. While the sub-editors dropped like flies and the newsroom lights clicked out, our lonely hero worked on. The counts come in around the clock. Beijing. Baton Rouge. Brussels. No time to sleep or eat, just a few of those really speedy diet pills washed down with Monster Energy. Then back to the graphs. Beijing again. Baton Rouge. Brussels.
The phone rings. It's morning again, from the colour of the sky. Chief editor on the line. What is it this time? More little stars on each data series representing the first day of lockdown? Floating comment boxes with asinine summaries? Half a dozen more countries in different colours and shades broadly representing half baked racial preconceptions?

"Hi, er, pal. Great job with the graph! On the conference call yesterday everyone was really impressed with how you've taken charge of it. Listen, we really really like the logarithmic scale. It's so scientific-y. When Mark from finance explained how it would look on a normal graph we really were terrified! But we also found it confusing. You really have to sort of, almost read it to understand it. Like sit down and think like it's a novel or something. Nobody wants that. Soooooo... Is there a way to make it keep the lines nice and calm and straight, but at the same time also sort of not do the logarithmic anymore? And I've got an idea for when America starts poking out the top..."

I think they talked her down from the roof eventually.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tarnop posted:

The standard rate will be £322.22 per month after the inflation linked increase of £4.40 that was due this month anyway. The £20 a week extra for a year translates to £86.67 a month on top of that.

This means that next April, UC claimants will eat a 21% cut. Presumably in the middle of a severe recession.

Yes but people can always take up more or better paid work, op :nono:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Endjinneer posted:

Some poor intern graphic designer got the job of updating the graph and decided this was their big break. While the sub-editors dropped like flies and the newsroom lights clicked out, our lonely hero worked on. The counts come in around the clock. Beijing. Baton Rouge. Brussels. No time to sleep or eat, just a few of those really speedy diet pills washed down with Monster Energy. Then back to the graphs. Beijing again. Baton Rouge. Brussels.
The phone rings. It's morning again, from the colour of the sky. Chief editor on the line. What is it this time? More little stars on each data series representing the first day of lockdown? Floating comment boxes with asinine summaries? Half a dozen more countries in different colours and shades broadly representing half baked racial preconceptions?

"Hi, er, pal. Great job with the graph! On the conference call yesterday everyone was really impressed with how you've taken charge of it. Listen, we really really like the logarithmic scale. It's so scientific-y. When Mark from finance explained how it would look on a normal graph we really were terrified! But we also found it confusing. You really have to sort of, almost read it to understand it. Like sit down and think like it's a novel or something. Nobody wants that. Soooooo... Is there a way to make it keep the lines nice and calm and straight, but at the same time also sort of not do the logarithmic anymore? And I've got an idea for when America starts poking out the top..."

I think they talked her down from the roof eventually.

If you wanted to flatten those lines you could just include error bars and scale the graph to fit them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

crispix posted:

Yes but people can always take up more or better paid work, op :nono:

I know you're joking, but also worth bearing in mind that any higher levels of benefit are all added on to that standard rate, which means the cut will also apply to people that the government accepts will likely never be able to work.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The servers supplying/holding the keys being located in China is a monumental fuckup. In fact it's not even a fuckup, it's way beyond the reach of Hanlon's Razor - there's literally no way that PLA don't have complete access to everything on that server. It's almost certain that's the actual reason that they're even there, because it's extremely unlikely PLA would actually allow a Chinese company to develop a comms method without giving them access. At the very least you'd expect Zoom to have said "Hey, why don't we just host this in the same place as the rest of our servers" and, you know, actually expected a solid technical reason why not (which I certainly can't think of).
you're conflating physical location with security. the key management is poo poo, but you're missing the actual issue because some country names appeared. i don't want to ruin your day by telling you that nothing is stopping the PLA running their servers in the USA. it's reliance on country borders on the internet that leave these blindspots available, even if the servers were only in the USA that's still a massive issue as they shouldn't be involved in key negotiation at all

quote:

I'd be extremely leary of using Zoom even for company-confidential communications in a situation like that, that we had an actual Cabinet meeting using it (when approved teleconferencing applications, okay all the way up to TOP SECRET and beyond, exist and would certainly be available to the loving Prime Minister) is completely inexcusable.
i didn't say this as a joke:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

end of the day you should always be adapting your communication based on how much you can trust a medium, not the party on the other end.
for the same reason i wouldn't pm you any confidential information on sa that i'd handover in person i wouldn't put it over zoom. that doesn't mean you can't use those mediums at all, it's about knowing to limit what you share. you should know this as well so why are you wasting your time trying this argument?

for making me waste my time on this have a check at an in-progress pre-print by cmmid: https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/control-measures/uk-scenario-modelling.html
e:

Endjinneer posted:

Some poor intern graphic designer got the job of updating the graph and decided this was their big break.
oh don't worry it's all automated now:
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1245468712003612674
e2: for anyone curious about excess deaths... https://www.euromomo.eu

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 4, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Tarnop posted:

I know you're joking, but also worth bearing in mind that any higher levels of benefit are all added on to that standard rate, which means the cut will also apply to people that the government accepts will likely never be able to work.

The system was already in deep poo poo with society operating normally. It's only survived because nobody cared. It is going to crash and burn if people have to stay locked down any longer than a couple of months or so

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
With nightingale and the other facilities being erected, and retired health staff being brought back in, the Tories are well on their way to building 40 new hospitals and employing 50,000 more nurses.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
It's like eating poo poo for them, doing it, though :laugh:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

With nightingale and the other facilities being erected, and retired health staff being brought back in, the Tories are well on their way to building 40 new hospitals and employing 50,000 more nurses.

:kheldragar:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Azza Bamboo posted:

:lol:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

OwlFancier posted:

Also noted fan of China, South Korea, is involved somehow.

Taiwan, too.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I think the general public are much more resilient than most people take them for, it’s the politicians who are going to struggle, those prostitute yacht sex and drug parties are addictive

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

namesake posted:

Well South Korea is going to become the ultimate example to study and follow from this point on because for the first week of the spread they seemed like they were hosed with mass infections from religious gatherings and instead seem to have done the best and fairly sustainable curve flattening imaginable.

Through work I heard of someone trying to get a few months' worth of meds from their doctor because they want to run to South Korea within the week, and I'm torn between "why is this dumbass considering travelling right now" and "yeah that's a decent shout actually because it's about to get hilariously bad here and SK are handling it much better".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

namesake posted:

otoh it makes me all the more blindingly furious that they're an example right there and the US and UK are still loving it up

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Do the British have anything like HIPPA? If not hammer down, South Korea figured 21st century pandemic assault.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nonsense posted:

Do the British have anything like HIPPA? If not hammer down, South Korea figured 21st century pandemic assault.

Oh cool, the idiot who's uncle works at Nintendo has come to grace the uk with their knowledge too

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Tarnop posted:

When I spoke to them on the phone I asked about the extra £20 and they said they weren't sure about it - I also can't find any mention of it on the government website for it any more (I thought this was on a week or so ago but can't see it now)

When payments start rolling in later this month I think a few people will be in for a shock.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Oh cool, the idiot who's uncle works at Nintendo has come to grace the uk with their knowledge too

I will always win.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Big thanks to Camrath for sending the fudge.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
So HMPS is releasing up to 4000 prisoners? Those who are within 2 months of getting out. No nonces.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1246337780155850752

Do these people even read their own government's briefings?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

So HMPS is releasing up to 4000 prisoners? Those who are within 2 months of getting out. No nonces.

I had an argument with CPS and judges this week that doing a committal to prison hearing on Skype (for a non violent offense) was not going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1246337780155850752

Do these people even read their own government's briefings?

I doubt they even read what they write.