Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

^^^ worth noting that they've confirmed there won't be any more homestands for the rest of the season.

Tidbits from a YangXiaoLong AMA on his stream https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr6frv

My favorite is how Yveltal apparently didn't know he could cancel kill cam until he got to OWL, so he'd just sit there watching his kill cam without making any calls :allears:

e: According to Avast, Shock did a S2 Houston and submitted the wrong roster for one map this weekend :cripes:

the guy who used to take official photos at Blizzard Arena is taking screenshots from the replay viewer

https://twitter.com/tempusrob/status/1245083424236290048
https://twitter.com/tempusrob/status/1245156746693246976

Ignis fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Some NYXL players have arrived to Korea

e: Seoul is also moving back

https://twitter.com/arnoldwh/status/1245072209153941510?s=19

Florida is the only full korean roster staying in the States right now. No idea if Eternal is going or has managed to get out of the tri-state area.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 1, 2020

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be cool if all the teams went to korea

bad for sleep schedules but better for the games and player health

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Good luck getting all the non citizens in the country though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

OWL production quality is top notch and couldn't be run by a better squad imo

Also there's some major changes going up on Experimental mode, mostly attempts at fixing Ashe, improving Pharah's splash damage (probably to differentiate her from Echo), and nearly halving Mei's ammo. If those go through, I'm sure they won't hit OWL for a long while but it's still a good start.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Bilibili has signed a deal with Actiblizz as a chinese production partner, as well as co-hosting Contenders China

https://pandaily.com/bilibili-esports-signs-production-deal-for-overwatch-league-china-region/

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please leave the googly eyes on for this weekend Blizzard, thanks

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Big deals with big production and social media companies like Afreeca and Bilibili seems like the kinda thing you'd wanna do before switching to a homestand model, but hey positive changes either way

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

CuwiKhons posted:

OWL production quality is top notch and couldn't be run by a better squad imo

Also there's some major changes going up on Experimental mode, mostly attempts at fixing Ashe, improving Pharah's splash damage (probably to differentiate her from Echo), and nearly halving Mei's ammo. If those go through, I'm sure they won't hit OWL for a long while but it's still a good start.

The Mei change is counter balanced by changing right click to cost 10 per shot, not 20. Her primary fire doesn't last as long, but she gets two more right clicks per reload. Not sure how I feel about that.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

HyP has retired

ZP/Jake on the night shift?

https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/status/1245754125708476417

This week's Comms Check (with casters, for obvious reasons)

Ignis fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 2, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Valorant preview stuff pulling a million viewers and a lot of former OW folks throwing shade to outright shittalking OWL and OW has got to hurt.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
I wonder why former ow people would be mad at blizzard/ow

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Valorant preview stuff pulling a million viewers and a lot of former OW folks throwing shade to outright shittalking OWL and OW has got to hurt.

Much like OWL on Twitch with the tokens, you have to wonder exactly how much of that is people idling for beta keys.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lotta people are tired of/frustrated with the problems ow has, but I don't think valorant's gonna drain the casual playerbase of ow at all. it's basically cs

deadwing posted:

Much like OWL on Twitch with the tokens, you have to wonder exactly how much of that is people idling for beta keys.

prob a lot considering the streams give out beta keys, but also it's new and people have been excited for it for a while. makes sense that it gets a ton of views

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Valorant looked boring to me. But I don't like CS so I'm not its audience. I don't think it'll draw people from Overwatch.

I watched some of Sideshow and he said the same. Overwatch is an FPS for people who don't really like FPSes; you don't have to be amazing at aiming to be good at Overwatch, where Valorant is like CS where aim is a big deal because the gunplay is still the biggest thing

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think valorant may have trouble pulling away from CSGO as well. I feel like it’s going to be in a weird place despite seeming pretty good and well crafted from what I’ve seen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tommu posted:

I wonder why former ow people would be mad at blizzard/ow

Surefour is currently streaming hitscan dps (so top 20 or whatever) and playing doom eternal while in queue for matches. Guess which game has more energy from chat and Surefour.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://clips.twitch.tv/DelightfulEvilAardvarkUWot
Seagull says Dallas Fuel ran trials for his position without giving him an opportunity to try out

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wasnt seagull on the way out of the pro scene at that point

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Nihilarian posted:

Wasnt seagull on the way out of the pro scene at that point
It's pretty hard to be in the pro scene when your team refuses to let you play

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Valorant looked boring to me. But I don't like CS so I'm not its audience. I don't think it'll draw people from Overwatch.

I watched some of Sideshow and he said the same. Overwatch is an FPS for people who don't really like FPSes; you don't have to be amazing at aiming to be good at Overwatch, where Valorant is like CS where aim is a big deal because the gunplay is still the biggest thing

I think Valorant will be good for the people who want characters like Moira, Mercy and Sym to be deleted because of their perceived low skill

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Overwatch isn't about individual skill expression, it's about managing cooldowns and keeping track of enemy team cooldowns. Games like Valorant and CSGO have deep strategy and tactical play, but the ability for a single person to carry through pure FPS mechanics is much much higher. Both are cool and good, but it's just a different kind of shooter much closer to CSGO than OW. The character powers are bought like utility items in CS, they generally do much less powerful things than skills in OW. Every character has the same hitbox and health, can use any gun, etc.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
If anybody else is waking up a little early and confused: the Chinese games apparently got shifted to Sunday and Monday.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Manatee Cannon posted:

lotta people are tired of/frustrated with the problems ow has, but I don't think valorant's gonna drain the casual playerbase of ow at all. it's basically cs

prob a lot considering the streams give out beta keys, but also it's new and people have been excited for it for a while. makes sense that it gets a ton of views

Ow barely has a casual playerbase to drain. Most of the twitch presence OW still has is there entirely because streamers know that they'll lose 3/4 of their viewers fi they switch games and pretty much the entirety of the ow pro scene is just a big sunk cost fallacy at this point and Tommunist can call me an idiot if I'm wrong about that.

As to pulling from CSGO, that's an interesting question and that's hard to predict. CS is strangely going through a continued burst of growth and has been setting active player records continuously for like 6 months now. Team-based mechanics-heavy shooters are very much in right now and there are a toooooooon of people who are profoundly burned out and exhausted of csgo but still want to play shooters so that's a pretty big and deep pool to draw upon. Plus they've got some just common sense qol additions that valve, in the near total abandonment of csgo, have never implemented. So if they do enough qol stuff they yeah they can absolutely steal tons of active players from csgo.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 4, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A useful ToS with consequences for being an abusive, racist shithead will make a lot of friends (and take a lot of $60 licenses from shitwits)

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ow barely has a casual playerbase to drain. Most of the twitch presence OW still has is there entirely because streamers know that they'll lose 3/4 of their viewers fi they switch games and pretty much the entirety of the ow pro scene is just a big sunk cost fallacy at this point and Tommunist can call me an idiot if I'm wrong about that.

I mean I can't really definitively say that that its a sunk cost fallacy for alot of people, i know I personally sticked about for like 3 months this year because of that tho.

Alot of tier 2 names ive talked to feel really hosed over by how blizzard structures and supports the scene and the tiny bottle neck around top of tier 2 into OWL.

Given covid I'd expect next year to be a massive down sizing and I dont think people want to stay about.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not that its surprising, but Soe is clearly the only one who can apply their own makeup. Everyone else looks 15 years older and sickly

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tommu posted:

Alot of tier 2 names ive talked to feel really hosed over by how blizzard structures and supports the scene and the tiny bottle neck around top of tier 2 into OWL.

I tihnk I have yet to hear about T2 OW without also hearing about the lack of support from blizzard on the same page.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
korean OW was in such a strong state before Blizz hosed it up. APEX could have existed alongside OWL as the regional minor leagues.

APEX had better production value and pre-game videos than pre china flu s3.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gonna be very worried for Shock if they they dont absolutely stomp valiant.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OW2 pivoting to PVE makes a lot of sense given how everything has gone.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The best thing to happen to SC2 was Blizzard handing over control of the competitive aspect to someone who cares, it helps that it wasn't important enough to be part of the disastrous youtube move.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, SC is the original and still one of the best esports for both players (money aside) and viewers and Blizzard deservers almost zero credit for any of it.

OW is still the game I play the most, but as much as I loved season 1 and still like the game, OWL is just an utter shitshow on almost every level and I barely skim through a game or two per week now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

OWL online production owns.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OWL offline production owns.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the olympics can be postponed maybe OWL can be too

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

Fauxtool posted:

If the olympics can be postponed maybe OWL can be too

Considering team owners wanted to bail on OWL: no.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the literal owners of the league want out, maybe there are bigger problems to fix.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Big drop there ZP you could have said "beast or famine"

Week 9 of s3 and still no viewer rewards with a new mvp skin out. Now of all times is when coins need to be active.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What's commissioner Nate up to now that he left OWL?