Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Supradog posted:

It's plastic also softer than a normal visor, easy to scratch. So if you have a habit of putting your gloves in your helmet or similar be wary of that.

Especially if you put your helmet on your rear view mirror when you park- that’s gonna scratch the pinlock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My new helmet arrived in the mail with pin lock already installed. It's definitely not installed correctly, and I saw humidity between the layers while riding through a rain storm. Not too much, but some. Should I take it apart and reapply?

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Nitrox posted:

My new helmet arrived in the mail with pin lock already installed. It's definitely not installed correctly, and I saw humidity between the layers while riding through a rain storm. Not too much, but some. Should I take it apart and reapply?

100% you should. It’s is not hard, but some can be a little finicky with the seal. Use whatever they recommend (maybe soap and water) on the seal silicon to make sure it’s not dried out or dusty or whatever.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You can clean pinlock inserts with just dish soap and water. Use your fingers, no sponges or cloths, and let it dry on a rack before you try to reinstall.

You don't want any kind of liquid on the seal to make it seat; if you put it in and reassemble the helmet and there's still a gap somewhere on the bead, take it apart and twist the pins to put more pressure on the insert (they're like little cams, twisting them moves the mounting points closer or further apart) and try it again.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Has anyone here been so bourgeois as to buy an airbag jacket/suit? If so, what are thoughts on it?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Has anyone here been so bourgeois as to buy an airbag jacket/suit? If so, what are thoughts on it?
Somebody I know bought one like 3 years ago. Still wearing it, last I checked. It seemed just like a regular jacket with extra stuff attached.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Oooookay. Turns out the "pinlock insert" is a piece of molded plastic, no rubber seal. When I took everything apart, it was actually scratching the surface of the visor. Schuberth is sending me a new visor and a new insert with the proper rubber seal. Turns out, they made a limited production run of this plastic garbage, and are now paying dearly for it. In fact, the rubber-sealed part is on backorder because of the demand. Not sure what cost-cutting genius have came up with that.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I have the A* race airbag vest, you can search my posts in this thread to see the issues I had fitting into the race cut suits / jackets (an issue with the jackets themselves, not the airbag). I think I need to drop ~10lbs to get it to comfortably fit beneath my jacket, so I haven't really been wearing it, but I did try it out for a bit and it seems fine. They're coming out a new universal vest you can wear under any textile jacket that is also cheaper, which could also be a nice option. You're not supposed to wear it while doing supermoto, which I didn't realize when I bought it because that was one of the main reasons I wanted it. I have a feeling it's fine as long as you're not going off of jumps that are too large, so I may try it out anyway. Overall it seemed to be well designed, I know people have some complaints about a piece of fabric that breaks when you wear it all the time, but I can't speak to that.

If I don't end up going to the gym for the next two months due to the corona virus lockdown, my lats may shrink enough to wear it all the time. Assuming it's not locked down, I'll do a supermoto day in April probably and report back how it worked.

*edit*
The nice thing is you could move it back and forth from a jacket to a full suit, and not have to buy two, but they have a street airbag vest and a race vest, and they're not mutually compatible. I don't think any of the full suits can use the street vest, so you have to make sure you buy a race jacket for the street, not one that is street vest compatible, if that makes sense.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like they're different setups of airbags. There is a reusable vest one with a CO2 cartridge or something like that for as low as $300. Can someone explain the difference between those deployment systems? Are they all reusable?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

Looks like they're different setups of airbags. There is a reusable vest one with a CO2 cartridge or something like that for as low as $300. Can someone explain the difference between those deployment systems? Are they all reusable?

Helite? https://youtu.be/v79tKQbJWNo Plugs into the bike and activates when you flip off. Vs the A* version which is under your jacket and activates based on computers and tiny robots.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MomJeans420 posted:

I have the A* race airbag vest, you can search my posts in this thread to see the issues I had fitting into the race cut suits / jackets (an issue with the jackets themselves, not the airbag). I think I need to drop ~10lbs to get it to comfortably fit beneath my jacket, so I haven't really been wearing it, but I did try it out for a bit and it seems fine. They're coming out a new universal vest you can wear under any textile jacket that is also cheaper, which could also be a nice option. You're not supposed to wear it while doing supermoto, which I didn't realize when I bought it because that was one of the main reasons I wanted it. I have a feeling it's fine as long as you're not going off of jumps that are too large, so I may try it out anyway. Overall it seemed to be well designed, I know people have some complaints about a piece of fabric that breaks when you wear it all the time, but I can't speak to that.

If I don't end up going to the gym for the next two months due to the corona virus lockdown, my lats may shrink enough to wear it all the time. Assuming it's not locked down, I'll do a supermoto day in April probably and report back how it worked.

*edit*
The nice thing is you could move it back and forth from a jacket to a full suit, and not have to buy two, but they have a street airbag vest and a race vest, and they're not mutually compatible. I don't think any of the full suits can use the street vest, so you have to make sure you buy a race jacket for the street, not one that is street vest compatible, if that makes sense.
Yeah I was considering an A* tech-air thing, where they have suits made to fit it, which I assume means it wouldn't have the fit issues you described. drat the race ones are expensive though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you want to use the vest, race or street, it has to be with a jacket designed for it. They would all be branded as “tech-air” compliant. MomJeans had a compatible jacket but still had fit issues.

From what I’ve seen on their site, the adv gear is for street and everything else is for race. The race vest can be switched to street mode via a laptop, I think, which means it will deploy while at a stop, ie you get rear ended, while in race mode it only goes off above a certain speed, I think 30mph

The stand-alone vest can be worn under anything with room for its expansion, like 3mm/1inch.

I was going to buy a compatible jacket and eventually vest, but I think I might hold off for a month or two before making big purchase :shobon:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

finally got a set of mosko moto deluge rain pants. they rule almost as much as the jacket does

also purchased some summer gear before prices go up from rev'it. it is 74 and muggy af here today though so I'll probably go test them out soon :D

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I'm late to the party but I have the Helite mesh airbag jacket.

The jacket is ok, it's pretty well built but it definitely has some quirks I'm not wild about like it didn't come with belt loops for joining to pants, and the canister is on your chest so it looks like you're smuggling a solitary zucchini everywhere you go.

One thing to note is that at least the jacket is quite heavy compared to other mesh options I've tried. Doesn't bother me that much, but just something to keep in mind.

If I had to do it all over again I might have gone for the vest, but I'm sure they also have their own quirks.

I've also activated it just to test it (they also recommend you activate it once a year, I guess probably to let the spring in the activation mechanism rest or something), and having done so, for the helite one at least, one of the major major benefits would definitely be neck stabilization. After it pops your head is pretty well immobilized, then the jacket slowly deflates on its own.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 23, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just looked up your jacket, and it looks like it's going to move like five or six inch upwards when inflated in fraction of a second. And you complaining about not being able to attach it to your pants? It would either break your back, or give you the world's most violent wedgie

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Went out today and confirmed the local bugs are refusing to shelter in place or practice social distancing. Do you guys carry anything to clean bug guts off your shields in the middle of a ride?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

Went out today and confirmed the local bugs are refusing to shelter in place or practice social distancing. Do you guys carry anything to clean bug guts off your shields in the middle of a ride?

honestly I just take the windshield scrubber/squeegee for cars at the gas stations and scrub my helmet. gets quite a few looks when I’m too lazy to take my helmet off for it :D

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I find dishwasher soap is the best. Usually available at you nearest gas station bathroom

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FBS posted:

Do you guys carry anything to clean bug guts off your shields in the middle of a ride?

Someone here told me to give my clean visor a thin coat of dish soap, leave it on for a couple minutes, and wipe (not wash) it off again, and bugs would come off super easy. It worked, I can just dampen my shirt cuff or whatever and they wipe right off.

I rode through a swarm of something (probably termites) the other week that was dense enough that I had to stop and clean my visor off, and even that amount of crap came off pretty well with just a dampened paper towel.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Antiseptic wipes (the alcohol-based ones for skin, not the bleach-based ones for surfaces) work really well to take bugs off of visors, but they're in rather short supply at the moment.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Some tear offs for your face shield would work too

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
This is exactly like that scene in Arrested Development where Buster learns you can wear tear away stripper pants as everyday wear.

In this scenario I’m Buster.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Y'all got any recommended summer short-cuff gloves that aren't made out of toilet paper

it's been above 80 degrees like twice and I'm already sick of my full gauntlet leather cortechs

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I borrowed either A* spx or A* smx (only $50) gloves (forget which one) and they seem like they'd do the trick. Honestly gloves are the least bothersome part of summer riding for me, and my summers are usually pretty hot (but I don't ride on dirt (yet)).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedici-bruno-gloves

I have about 15,000 miles on these and they're holding up amazingly well. The little vents on top actually draw some are in if positioned in the very specific way. Highly recommend

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I really like my Knox Orsa 3 gloves with the fabric top.

Some plastic nubbins on the wrist are starting to peel a little, but they did do an entire year rain or shine of daily commuting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish I could say good things about the Dainese Carbon D1s but the weird suede on the palms looks like short pile shag carpet after half a season.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have Racer Guide gloves. It's almost always in the 60s or low 70s here, so I'm not sure how they'd hold up in actual warm weather. My hands are definitely never warm, though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is there good data about motorcycle fatality vs gear wearing? I know there's helmet vs no helmet data but what about all the rest?

Before anyone asks I'm very pro all the gear, I'd like to convince a friend to become the same way

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Imo gear other than helmet isn't really about preventing fatal injury so much as saving you from broken bones and preventing you from needing skin grafts on 90% of your body when you hit the road at speed.

So I guess what I'm saying is show your friend some gorn of people who got their entire butt sanded off because they weren't wearing anything but trackies

e/ I know you asked for data but one I don't have any and two lol like facts ever convinced anyone of anything, hit that dumbass in the feels

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

alnilam posted:

Is there good data about motorcycle fatality vs gear wearing? I know there's helmet vs no helmet data but what about all the rest?

Before anyone asks I'm very pro all the gear, I'd like to convince a friend to become the same way
tell your friend to drag his bare knuckles across the asphalt for like 3 seconds. Then ask him to do the same wearing gloves. I think he'll understand

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Imo gear other than helmet isn't really about preventing fatal injury so much as saving you from broken bones and preventing you from needing skin grafts on 90% of your body when you hit the road at speed.

So I guess what I'm saying is show your friend some gorn of people who got their entire butt sanded off because they weren't wearing anything but trackies

e/ I know you asked for data but one I don't have any and two lol like facts ever convinced anyone of anything, hit that dumbass in the feels

Yeah but aren't a lot of deaths from infections from people losing half their skin?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
The vast majority of the (good) epidemiological moto safety studies are from east Asia where you have to work hard to find people who wear full face helmets instead of 3/4ths, much less spine protectors or whatever.

That being said, spinal injuries, broken pelvises (very dangerous), and crushed hearts are the other big things that will happen besides crushed skulls that will kill you. Spine protectors are helpful here, but unfortunately if something hits you so hard your pelvis or rib cage get crushed, there's not that much armor out there that is practically wearable and will save you.

Fwiw if you want some reviews on the topic, if you have a way to get past a paywall look at "Injury patterns associated with mortality following motorcycle crashes", Smith 2002.

If you can't get past a paywall PM me, I can throw you a pdf

Edit: Also if you guys want to see a video of the helite jacket activated that wasn't done in Blender cira 2005:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cWK3cc3hKUriNc2MmT7ml6kdWyl2jwk6/view?usp=sharing

It doesn't really ride up that much, you can see the tails of it are still roughly at belt level.

The video is at something like 60x or 120x or whatever slowmo, I forget the actual speed but basically they're not lying that it will inflate in ~120 milliseconds. It also works under a backpack (although that backpack wasn't super heavy or anything)

And for those of you doing mental math in your head, at 60 mph you will travel about 8 feet in 100 ms, so whether this saves you from a head-on collision with a car is a bit of a shrug. (Helite alleges that the jacket is somewhat effective even when it's not at full inflation but also shrug) (You can see that it takes a GOOD yank to activate it, so possibly the lanyard itself will also slow you down somewhat, so third shrug)

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 5, 2020

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

FBS posted:

Y'all got any recommended summer short-cuff gloves that aren't made out of toilet paper

it's been above 80 degrees like twice and I'm already sick of my full gauntlet leather cortechs

I've been wearing the old version of these REV'IT! Canyons (from back when they were called the Monster) since '14 and they just got to "I should maybe replace these" levels of worn last year. They're still structurally sound, but the double-layer lining on the fingertips (which is different material, with some rubberiness, than it is on this new version) is coming off. They've also faded a lot.

alnilam posted:

I don't remember where I read about it, but I know that injuries compound the likelihood of dying. Like, maybe you get one major trauma - a head injury or something - that might be close, but not quite enough, to kill you on its own. If that's alongside bad road rash and broken bones, it tallies up to more than a body can handle and you die.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-coolpro-ii-gloves are mostly toilet paper but I have used them in the heat here in TN and they are pretty fantastic. I use them if it's gonna be like 85 and up. I would not expect them to last more than a year or two though. my alpinestars smx-1 air glove I previously had for my warm weather glove only lasted a year and a half. do take into account that I commute 5 days a week tho

these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-3-gloves are what I run from like 45 - 85

and these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-equinox-outdry-gloves are my winter / rain gloves

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm gonna try the Knox Orsas mostly based on the scaphoid sliders and Boa system but if they don't do the trick I'll try the Rev'It Sand 3s. It's not really hot/sweaty hands that bothered me, it was doing up three separate velcro fasteners per hand over my jacket. And I'm trying a couple new white/gray mesh jackets since I can already tell the all-black one I've got now is a recipe for solar disaster.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

FBS posted:

I'm gonna try the Knox Orsas mostly based on the scaphoid sliders and Boa system but if they don't do the trick I'll try the Rev'It Sand 3s. It's not really hot/sweaty hands that bothered me, it was doing up three separate velcro fasteners per hand over my jacket. And I'm trying a couple new white/gray mesh jackets since I can already tell the all-black one I've got now is a recipe for solar disaster.

The thought of an all white jacket makes me cringe, though I guess mine is silver mesh. Still gets dirty as hell, and I made the mistake of using some normal detergent and washing it in the machine so the colored bits are faded out. Time for a new one? No way, especially since I was out at the bar and some cute girl said as she passed “I like your jacket!”

I also need to replace the throat-close Velcro, I’m definitely going to take it to the tailor. Should I expect them to have the right Velcro (the short hook kind) or should I order some and take it in at the same time?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FBS posted:

boas rule. I have them on my Klim Outlander boots and I love them. my personal experience in riding in the heat is that leather is always too hot, no matter the amount of perforations in it. I have a pair of alpinestars celerV2s that are quite uhh holy, but they just don't flow enough air to be anything other than a fall / spring glove here in the south

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FBS posted:

I'm gonna try the Knox Orsas mostly based on the scaphoid sliders
Why do more gloves not build these in? Seems like a no brainer, given that going down you'd be really likely to hit pavement with that part of your gloves.

I have some otherwise mediocre Scorpion gloves with those built in and that was one of the reasons I bought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Why do more gloves not build these in? Seems like a no brainer, given that going down you'd be really likely to hit pavement with that part of your gloves.

I have some otherwise mediocre Scorpion gloves with those built in and that was one of the reasons I bought them.

Knox has a patent on their setup which I suspect is the main reason they aren't everywhere. My Cortechs have a hard plastic slider on the outside edge of the palm but just padded leather on the inside, I've seen that on several other gloves as well so my guess is that's enough to dodge the patent.