Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

do you guys think the cats play will exist past covid19

Definitely. Theaters will be hurting everywhere for not having been open ever, they'll probably drag out a few reliable crowd-pleasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats good, i wasnt sure if theatre actors would still want to rub against each other after

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

do you guys think the cats play will exist past covid19

I was supposed to go a college's production of Cats Sunday. Dammit.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My dumb rear end in a top hat neighbor McCavity just added this unstable sunroom-like thing that's not even up to code onto his second floor home, with no city permit

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

My dumb rear end in a top hat neighbor McCavity just added this unstable sunroom-like thing that's not even up to code onto his second floor home, with no city permit

Don't bother going over there to complain. He's not home.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lid posted:

Wonder why there was zero mention of Sweeney Todd

I think this videssay is great but this is an excellent call. Real weird omission considering how all in she went on Russel Crowe.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
What do you mean?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thats good, i wasnt sure if theatre actors would still want to rub against each other after

This isn’t like...the first time humans have had a contagious disease

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

wyoming posted:

You don't rotoscope something real onto something animated, rotoscoping is drawing over actual footage.

I mean, they actually filmed people acting and dancing on sets.
I don't think they understand that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkF4OXSyqL0

Yes but then the digital character had to be animated over the live action reference, in a combination of matchmove and key frame. It’s essentially the digital double approach that’s taken on most big films during action scenes, but this time applied to every character over the entire run time. Including having the digital faces match the footage the entire time (we’re talking Avatar level facial animation for 30 character shots for 90 minutes)

The vfx companies responsible recently went through huge rounds of layoffs which is probably partially due to the pandemic but also due to how much cash they bled on this film, considering they have to meet the fixed bid price they won the contract for.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So you're saying that without the actor's faces there was nothing underneath, however on TOP there was extra weird stuff like whiskers and snot that'd be left behind if you took the real human faces away?

Did the effects workers ever look at what they were doing without the human faces applied? If so, what did they see?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So you're saying that without the actor's faces there was nothing underneath, however on TOP there was extra weird stuff like whiskers and snot that'd be left behind if you took the real human faces away?

Did the effects workers ever look at what they were doing without the human faces applied? If so, what did they see?

They saw Oblivion.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No I’m saying there were rigged digital faces that were virtually indistinguishable from the live action that has to be animated to match the live action. The blending mostly took the eyes from the live action and the inside of the mouths. Everything else on the face is digital. The hands are also live action so the blend happens at the wrist. This was done because fingers, eyes and mouths are the number one giveaways that something isn’t alive. Doing a compositing pass that kept those aspects meant they broke through that part of the uncanny valley.

The whiskers are added as part of a groom pass so that would be much later in the process.

I actually do think the comp workflow on Cats successfully eluded the uncanny valley. The characters look completely alive, not glassy eyed automatons. It’s just the design is so odd that it can evoke a feeling of disgust in people who haven’t been continually exposed to the designs the way the director and vfx workers were. They got used to it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ccs posted:

No I’m saying there were rigged digital faces that were virtually indistinguishable from the live action that has to be animated to match the live action. The blending mostly took the eyes from the live action and the inside of the mouths. Everything else on the face is digital. The hands are also live action so the blend happens at the wrist. This was done because fingers, eyes and mouths are the number one giveaways that something isn’t alive. Doing a compositing pass that kept those aspects meant they broke through that part of the uncanny valley.

The whiskers are added as part of a groom pass so that would be much later in the process.

I actually do think the comp workflow on Cats successfully eluded the uncanny valley. The characters look completely alive, not glassy eyed automatons. It’s just the design is so odd that it can evoke a feeling of disgust in people who haven’t been continually exposed to the designs the way the director and vfx workers were. They got used to it.

They look like the guy who made the Annoying Orange won the lottery and went insane

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Ccs posted:

The characters look completely alive, not glassy eyed automatons.

Yeah... Until they move their bodies or try do to a jerky dance and all look exactly like over-synchronized bad mocap figures

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

steinrokkan posted:

They look like the guy who made the Annoying Orange won the lottery and went insane

Now that's a supervillain origin story I want to see.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
COVID 19's a new virus discovered in Wuhan
For it infects ya with disease that can destroy the lung
You can try to enter quarantine, you can lockdown the town square
But if you took the Chloroquine, Corona doesn't care!

COVID 19, COVID 19 - there's no flu like COVID 19
It's broken every social norm
There's even social distancing
You can prop up the economy
You can bailout Boeing Air
But of your precious currency, Corona doesn't care!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

It may start off as symptomless
But then it takes your breath
And the old are prone to getting worse
But the young aren't free from death

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
new article with some interesting details https://www.thedailybeast.com/i-edited-the-buttholes-out-of-cats-it-was-a-total-nightmare?ref=scroll

quote:

Some aspects of the production, the source alleges, became simply absurd—like when Hooper would demand to see videos of actual cats performing the same actions the cats would do in the film. “And as you know,” the source said, “cats don‘t dance.”

Multiple times during our interview, the source described Hooper as “horrible.” Other adjectives included “disrespectful,” “demeaning,” and “condescending.” “When you go into a conference room, you’re not allowed to speak,” they said. “And he talks to you like you’re garbage.”

It took the team six months to produce the film’s two-minute trailer, the source said. After that, roughly four months remained to complete the entire film. Visual effects supervisors were the only members of the team who met with Hooper—and by the end of production, Cats had burned through multiple.

I guess that last part explains why the CG in the first trailer looked so much better (on a purely technical level, anyway) than the actual film

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Most of what that article says is accurate, except for the stuff about butts.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Barry Convex posted:

new article with some interesting details https://www.thedailybeast.com/i-edited-the-buttholes-out-of-cats-it-was-a-total-nightmare?ref=scroll

I guess that last part explains why the CG in the first trailer looked so much better (on a purely technical level, anyway) than the actual film

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Tom Hooper aggressively doesn't know or care how the VFX process works?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

quote:

Before visual effects artists fully render sequences for animated films, they normally show directors playblasts—preview renderings that feature characters without color or texture. That allows the director to evaluate the motion before hours of work are done to flesh out things like color, texture, and lighting. Hooper, however, did not seem to grasp that process. Any time the visual effects team wanted to show the director any animatics, the source said, they had to fully render it. Otherwise, he’d say things like, “What’s this garbage?” and “I don’t understand— where’s the fur?”

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

I came here to post this. I loving love this movie. It has so many gifts to give us, so many lols to share.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Part of the issue is how much vfx facilities lag behind top feature places in terms of technology. Pixar for instance can preview all their fur in playblasts. I don't think any vfx studio has figured out a similar solution.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ccs posted:

Most of what that article says is accurate, except for the stuff about butts.

yeah I believe a different VFX artist said there weren't actual buttholes, there were just some shots where it unintentionally looked like there were due to folds in the fur or what have you

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Believe in the butthole cut, it believes in you

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

yeah I believe a different VFX artist said there weren't actual buttholes, there were just some shots where it unintentionally looked like there were due to folds in the fur or what have you

Yeah, but writing about "the Unfortunately Bunched Costumes Cut" is not nearly as fun as writing about "the Butthole Cut."

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ccs posted:

Part of the issue is how much vfx facilities lag behind top feature places in terms of technology. Pixar for instance can preview all their fur in playblasts. I don't think any vfx studio has figured out a similar solution.

Didn't Pixar originally start as a vfx house, back in the 80s?

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Fuschia tude posted:

Didn't Pixar originally start as a vfx house, back in the 80s?

They started out as a computer graphics unit at lucasfilm, got sold off in Lucas' divorce

Source: my aunt who was there at the time

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Barry Convex posted:

I imagine it was something like the hairy ball theorem, where they wanted the fur to look smooth all over the rest of the body and wound up with an anus-shaped cowlick in a spot they imagined wouldn’t be seen often, or a spot that was overlooked (i.e., the butt zone).

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I was definitely not overlooking the butt zone

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Somehow this movie is the gift that keeps giving.

Mad respect for the VFX artists who put up with all that poo poo. Is there any sort of way right now to support the folks who've been laid off for all their work?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There were about 2200 vfx crew on this movie so unfortunately not.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vfx people need to unionize or strike or do something because that is bullshit.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Just putting the pieces together between Tom Hooper's inability to film anything that's not a point and shoot costume drama. He hosed up Les Mis by insisting the recordings be done live on set which necessitated far too many extreme close-ups to mask the boom mics, and he hosed up Cats by being completely unwilling to follow the protocol in VFX development cause he couldn't immediately see the image he wanted to see.

Man, just give this guy increasingly complex musicals to see how he fucks them up even more. What would this guy do to Sondheim?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Imagining Hooper being handed some classic song-and-dance numbers like "Singin' In The Rain" and it's actually making me angry

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I wanna see his version of Starlight Express where the camera is also on rollerskates.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I want a high budget movie version of Starlight Express, except it's reworked to be set in the world of Twisted!, the epic about anthtopomorphic roller coasters by Miranda Leek. Imagine Hooper making a movie about these monstrosities

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Imagine Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory being directed by Tom Hooper. The musical numbers are all headshots of the actors, and Augustus Gloop eats a few Oompa Loompas along the way because why the gently caress not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bogus Adventure posted:

Imagine Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory being directed by Tom Hooper. The musical numbers are all headshots of the actors, and Augustus Gloop eats a few Oompa Loompas along the way because why the gently caress not.

Also all the Ooma Loompas re celebrity cameos who only got one take to make their performance because it's more authentic that way

Also the grandpa is played by Ed Sheeran who got to compose an original song for the movie as an oscar bait

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Also all the Ooma Loompas re celebrity cameos who only got one take to make their performance because it's more authentic that way

Also the grandpa is played by Ed Sheeran who got to compose an original song for the movie as an oscar bait

Lol, that would be perfect