Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use interstate batteries. The used warranty is pretty decent. It's prorated after a certain time limit.
Or gently caress it, costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Despite Costco restructuring their battery warranty, it is still excellent and unless you need something fancy, is the best option.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Forgot to plug the truck in last night. Probably wouldn’t have helped Anyways, took 5 seconds for the glow plugs relay to come on.

The Lincoln fired right up but really doesn’t like the cold air

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My truck has just been plugged in every night for the past week since it's been at or around -40 the whole time. You can see frost everywhere on my hood, except for a nice clear patch right above my battery.

Also my choices for batteries up here are Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, or the dealership, more or less. (I'm sneaking in your thread but really I'm about 7 hours north). Thinking about driving down to Edmonton for March break, so maybe I'll check out Costco then or something.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Despite Costco restructuring their battery warranty, it is still excellent and unless you need something fancy, is the best option.

I still hesitate to put anything but an Ekono in a car, though the Volvo got a Kirkland because Interstate didn't have an Ekono H7 that day.
A $50 battery is still hard to beat in my eyes.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I'm like 4.5-5 hours away from the closest Costco. Might just go to the local garage I trust, see if they sell anything, and grab that.
My old, old job I worked next door to a battery shop. They sold good batteries. But 2000+ km away now...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you really don't even need good batteries. You just need batteries that aren't bad.

I need 2 group 65's for the f350. Gonna go shopping tomorrow. My electronic "smart" charger says they're hosed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think my electric smart charger is hosed. I put it on my bike, it starts flashing which means it's hosed after about 10 hours. Put it on the 911, says it's hosed after about 10 hours. Put it on the Subaru, says it's hosed after 11 hours. These are vehicles all garaged to about +5. Bike battery was purchased in the summer so it ain't bad yet.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah one of mine does that. Battery charges just fine but once the charger goes into trickle mode it faults outs.

Annoying but harmless, in my case.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, that's an interesting 30C temperature swing in 24 hours.

Wetter than hell outside right now. Roofs are getting largely bare and eaves-troughs are doing their job. Wind is starting to pick up a bit too, this snow will be gone by the end of the week I bet.

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah one of mine does that. Battery charges just fine but once the charger goes into trickle mode it faults outs.

Annoying but harmless, in my case.
That's good to know - thanks. I'll not turf it then. I have an old school 1.5A trickle/50A boost as a fall back but I do prefer the small smart charger.. even if it's not exactly being smart right now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hey powershift, if I have a bad power steering leak and the reservoir runs dry on a 6.0, will the power steering pump self destruct ? Trying to decide if I should fill it up, make a huge mess in the driveway to get it onto my car hauler, or let it run dry and drive the 20 mins to the farm shop with armstrong steering.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Power steering pumps use the hydraulic oil for lubricating everything. Even if you don't immediately kill it, running it for any period of time will certainly shorten the life of it, even if you're not steering much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's also your brake booster, so it deals with higher spikes in pressure than a regular power steering system.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah i ended up loading it up and dropped it off at the shop. It's getting all the hoses replaced, and a bunch of other poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Woke the 911 up last night for first time since I think October. Finally we had a few days without wind. Not exactly what I would call warm with +5 midday, but good enough. Fired it up flick of the key, let it run for 5 minutes to check for any leaks, immediately took it on a 100KM return trip to Taber to go to TKD class. Ran like a top and gently caress me, I forgot how it loves the cool air.

Feels like a go-cart after driving the Silverado exclusively for the past 4-5 months.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well that time of year again...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How are you all doing by the way? Hopefully still employed?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

odiv posted:

I'm recovering from shoulder surgery.

Being weak as a kitten loving sucks, let me tell you.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

odiv posted:

Full steam ahead for me. Deemed operations critical so if the situation requires, I go in to the office. Otherwise it's working from home. lovely part is that the equipment I have available at home pales in comparison.

Rec centres are all shut down so those parking lots call my name at night...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Still employed, I'm sure my paycheck is going to be taking a great big poo poo though. At least I have a job though, which is more than a lot of people can say today.

Have an OK bank balance and can probably weather this for a while. Being debt free certainly is a load off the mind. If I had a mortgage payment or loans due every month and living paycheck to paycheck, I'd be stressed. Even as things are right now, I'm probably the most stressed I've ever been in my adult life. I am so sympathetic to those right now in lovely situations :( Only good thing is they are not alone, a lot of people are in identical situations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They cancelled ECT at the hospital after 8/12 treatments, which sucks because it means i've got to spend another month in there once all the zombies are dead or whatever.

Michener Allen is holding their YYC and YEG auctions on the same day, at the same time, all internet bidding, on april 4th.

Some interesting stuff that will go cheap

My estimate, $4500-$7500

they got 4 of these, they could go for under $10k a piece If y'all are interested in an Alberta AI one-make series.

This is what i'm betting on with my $700. It would go for 2800 at a normal auction with an automatic. 6 speed stick -$500, last lot of the day -$500, christmas tree on the cluster -$500 megasale chaos -$500

And finally a crazy high mileage jurbo tuke that'll go for like 400 bucks because it overheats. Some dudes put SR20s in these things. they weigh under 3000lbs so even like, a motorcycle motor and a ghetto chain drive would probably be hilarious.

I think they are gonna be clearing their lots and hunkering down, so poo poo will go for what it goes for without their games. could be interesting.

If y'all wanna flaunt our immortality and check the calgary lot out some time next week that would be cool. I will definitely know for sure whether literally washing through the first few layers of skin this week was worth it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 23, 2020

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I am generally an idiot when it comes to cars. Normally I go to Fountain Tire to get my seasonal tires flipped - they're stored on rims in my garage.

How stupid of an idea is it for me to change my tires using only the emergency tools that came with the cars? I also may have a hexagonal head that'll fit my power drill and the nuts on the wheels.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

I am generally an idiot when it comes to cars. Normally I go to Fountain Tire to get my seasonal tires flipped - they're stored on rims in my garage.

How stupid of an idea is it for me to change my tires using only the emergency tools that came with the cars? I also may have a hexagonal head that'll fit my power drill and the nuts on the wheels.

It's possible, just not much fun. Just remember to loosen the lug nuts a tiny bit before jacking up each corner so you don't risk rocking the car much while it's up on the jack. If you have a block of wood or something to act as a jack stand that would be ideal, but i've done it with a bottle jack and a lug wrench

Powershift posted:

...If y'all wanna flaunt our immortality and check the calgary lot out some time next week that would be cool...

That post aged well :haw:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Very doable, just please get some jack stands and a torque wrench, do it properly. The jack that comes with any car really is meant for emergency use only, but a basic hydraulic one doesn’t cost all that much.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

That post aged well :haw:

I bought a '95 Odyssey EX from Copart in Edmonton on Thursday. I was the only bidder on it. "No keys," so I'm sure the #3 hole's favourite cereal is Count Knockula.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I bought a '95 Odyssey EX from Copart in Edmonton on Thursday. I was the only bidder on it. "No keys," so I'm sure the #3 hole's favourite cereal is Count Knockula.

So what now, Ebay turbo on a JDM K24a?

The MA auctions were all pushed back to may 8/9/10 and online only, so the opportunity is there for savings but considering the world is turbofucked for the next 2 years that would just mean 3 vehicles sitting unused instead of 2.

There is some poo poo that rarely comes up, too. like a high mileage ridgeline and an RCSB f-150 2011+ f-150 but i think even with high mileage, endlessly delayed, and online only auction they might still be out of my budget.

https://www.maauctions.com/Details/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=4/4/2020%5Eef9bb1356469423fa9529919205bd2b0
https://www.maauctions.com/Details/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=4/4/2020%5Eddb3c21113cc42f7950dfbf99484546d

If either of those ended up around $2500 i could probably swing it, then strip and scrap the powerstroke.

Regular cabs go for less, 2wd goes for less, v6 goes for less, oop goes for less, no exporting goes for less. Slap a little online-only bidding on there and it could be a $1000 truck

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 4, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've got a very bad condition turbo D16Z6 with eBay forgies sitting in Slung's garage mahal. I don't know what the interchange is like. Much prefer to get the F22 running again inside it (old school Honda = you can drop the crank and all the mains come out on a big frame; no engine pull necessary apparently) and then take it on a roadtrip whenever the nightmare subsides.

Maybe finally use that nitrous bottle and controller for something, if Mopac turns out to be an essential service.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 4, 2020

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like it's going to be a hoot either way.

the michener allen auctions are now completely unreserved, meaning they're actually selling everything. It's got me looking at some of the junk that has been there since summer. It's really tempting to do something stupid. I can't imagine many resellers are gonna be wanting to buy stock they won't be able to move for a while.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good lord. It's the beaterpocalypse that I have been telling everyone about for years. Next we'll see rusty Novas sold for under $11,000...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They pulled the F-150, ridgeline and X3 :smith:

I'm still gonna register in case something goes crazy cheap but i don't plan on leaving with anything.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I went to Edmonton and adopted this lynx point coon.
He's slightly under weight at 25lbs, and the Vet wants to see him up around 30.
His name is Scuddles. Not my first choice in a name but he comes running when you call him by name. Sometimes I call him Scud. Like the missile.

Next on the list: Shark IQ Robot vac.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is a great cat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

I went to Edmonton and adopted this lynx point coon.
He's slightly under weight at 25lbs, and the Vet wants to see him up around 30.
His name is Scuddles. Not my first choice in a name but he comes running when you call him by name. Sometimes I call him Scud. Like the missile.

Next on the list: Shark IQ Robot vac.

Scud is a great name for a cat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently Scuddles is from little mermaid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

About time. 25c, partly cloudy, wind not a million mph, the perfect spring day. Other than the ongoing apocalypse that is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw the rarest thing in the universe the other day: A Ford F-150 in Beddington with an NDP bumper sticker.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I had to go to Edmonton this past weekend. I have never, ever seen such a LEO presence on the entire highway as I did Friday night. We stopped counting at ~20 RCMP/Highway patrol, and that was this side of Leduc. And there were tons of loving maniacs, between chucklefucks on the deerfoot passing on the right shoulder and guys pacing eachother at best guess 160+KPH speeds on the QE2 in rice poo poo with shoddy body work flapping in the wind (which was not empty) drivers are just getting even more moronic during this distancing thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went to Edmonton and back for computer bits on Saturday and it was docile as gently caress. no cops anywhere, the fast lane was only doing 110. I still hear bikes racing around all night around here, but i live like a block from a dead straight road with no houses on it and like 6 ways out on either end. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that they have to scrape some squids off it every morning.

With everything opening up early and my hosed up immune system, i basically have to self-isolate for the next year or so. Even if the rona doesn't kill me, i can't get my infusions while showing symptoms. It sucks needing like, 3 screws from home depot and trying to figure out if they're worth risking death for. We need an uber eats for the home depot bolt bins.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I need to stretch the legs on the RX8, send me a list of what you need/want in your care package and I can have it sitting on your doorstep this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I really appreciate the offer, but it was more a complaint about not being able to grab the little poo poo for random projects as they come up. What really sparked it was the need for some vesa mounting screws that i ended up waiting a week to get shipped from rona only to need 1/2 inch longer.

I might have to take you up on the offer if the cabin fever gets too bad, maybe find a patio somewhere and grab a beer or something at the end of summer.

With all the campsites in the parks closed, i was thinking of patching some leaks on the Lincoln and doing a run through the parks. the highways would be wonderful without travel trailers and motor homes everywhere.