Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

schmug posted:

There may come a time when buying fresh fruit and vegetables every couple days may not be a very good idea. That time is now, genius.

OK Boomer.

I am going to get my cruelty free avocado toast with an agave smoothie even if it kills the person who was forced to go to work in the store after I complained their regional office that the company is problematic against hipsters for closing their store due to the rona.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Shout out to all the neighbors with serious smoker lungs who are having people over for a grill party right now

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Did you read that article? Of course you didn't seeing as how you posted just a few minutes after my post and considering The Economist is behind a paywall.

The expelling of journalists from New York Times, Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal was in response to this - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/18/us-chinese-media-propaganda-state-department - where do you see that it was in response to reporters being critical of the COVID response?

Hahahahahaha. Whelp China didn't say they were kicking out reporters for reporting about COVID so that could not possibly be the reason! People are always honest. Governments are always honest. Hahahahaha.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/hongkongharv/status/1246486971490263041

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 4, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

most citrus fruits, apples, pears, can last a couple weeks easy if you keep them in the fridge. carrots and potatoes last a long time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Are days of the week even real?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

Are days of the week even real?

Fake Tues.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is it time to buy 25-50 lbs of rice/beans/chickpeas? I don't want to starve if we get hit by food shortages due to crops going unpicked.

Possibly, I'm panicking.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Akuma posted:

How are people not getting groceries for weeks at a time? Do you not eat fresh fruit and vegetables?

I am shopping for my parents too. I did 6 stores yesterday (including drug store for my dads script and hard ware store so he can fix a hot water heater). I haven’t gone out in ten days, and won’t need to for another 10, but I was running low on meat and veggies and milk. I wore a n95 mask, gloves and glasses. When I got home I stripped, wiped everything down and took a shower.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Is it time to buy 25-50 lbs of rice/beans/chickpeas? I don't want to starve if we get hit by food shortages due to crops going unpicked.

Possibly, I'm panicking.

no

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Are there people who post ITT that really think new case numbers in China are zero?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI1GxNjAjlw

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Possibly, I'm panicking.

The only downside of overpreparing here is you might get to eat a lot of cheap, healthy meals over the next couple of years for no good reason. Being prepared to satisfy your basic needs is not panic.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 4, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/stevesilberman/status/860595784424620034

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

A couple weeks ago this same guy was saying masks are not necessary.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Busy Bee posted:

Did you read that article? Of course you didn't seeing as how you posted just a few minutes after my post and considering The Economist is behind a paywall.

The expelling of journalists from New York Times, Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal was in response to this - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/18/us-chinese-media-propaganda-state-department - where do you see that it was in response to reporters being critical of the COVID response?

Ms Bee, we’re going to have to let you go. No, this has nothing to do with the sexual harassment claim you filed against your boss. It’s for poor performance, the timing is purely coincidental.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

300k line in the us gonna be cracked this hour or the next. :toot:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Akuma posted:

How are people not getting groceries for weeks at a time? Do you not eat fresh fruit and vegetables?

I walk to and from the store, and there is a limit to many shopping bags I can carry before noodle arms

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Someone should put some wheels on a box or some poo poo idk

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Are there people who post ITT that really think new case numbers in China are zero?

Nobody is saying or thinking that because this is what china is currently reporting:

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 4, 2020

schmug
May 20, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Nobody is saying or thinking that because this is what china is currently reporting:

Woe, 144 out of a population of over a billion isn't zero. You got us. I give up.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jesus loving christ more people probably died stubbing their toe over there in that time frame and yet you still try to massage the point of view. Just stop. You're making an idiot out of yourself.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
the amount of retarded poo poo coming out of the White House has really rocketed to a new high speed, so much that I missed ol Kushners comment how the national stockpile is “ours, not for the states”. Then they go and change the website which said the exact opposite lol

they really are 100% going to hang the states out to dry

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I can't even imagine what it'll be like to be Asian in this country when this is over. I thought Muslims had it bad after 9/11...americans are absolute morons, I fully expect to see hate crime news reports on the daily after lockdown.

schmug
May 20, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I can't even imagine what it'll be like to be Asian in this country when this is over. I thought Muslims had it bad after 9/11...americans are absolute morons, I fully expect to see hate crime news reports on the daily after lockdown.

lmao "when this over"

https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...iw=1920&bih=937

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Oh I'm well aware it's already happening, but it's a lot harder when everyone is quarantine. Think about the type of person who blames "chiner" on killing his grandma getting out of a 3 month isolation. It's going to be way worse then what we're already seeing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Earwicker posted:

most citrus fruits, apples, pears, can last a couple weeks easy if you keep them in the fridge. carrots and potatoes last a long time.
I guess this is the part I'd not considered. I have a family of four in a small rented apartment, we couldn't store more than a week's worth of fruit and vegetables in the fridge unless that's all we had in there, and it still wouldn't be much more.

There's also limits at the supermarkets on what you can buy so it's not like I can really stock up on tinned stuff without making multiple trips (which doesn't help the problem of not going out a lot) - and the freezer is the same situation as the fridge.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Wizard Master posted:

How do you guys feel about a possible backlash (economic and politcal sanctions, amongst other things) against China for causing this?

**this is an opinion piece, feel free to disagree or offer counter-scenarios if you are interested, I am not saying this is exactly what is going to happen**

From way back, but I can totally see some places having massive backlash against China on a grass-roots level, but not at the top. After this is over China is going to be like a shopaholic hoarder with their paycheque in hand at a going out of business sale. They're going to buy up anything they see as a strategic investment, and they will do it at a steal with little to no push-back. They're going to be making bank on the medical supplies they are selling and likely their citizen surveillance systems that is (actually) really good at tracking and helping to manage stuff like Covid. A lot of companies and countries are going to welcome Chinese investment with open arms and put down anyone in their power who tries to push against it because all they care about are their share prices.

Places where you see Covid hitting really hard (Central/South America) where there are literally bodies piling up in the street are likely to have a very large portion of the populace who will (once they can gather again) protest the Chinese presence in their countries and further Chinese investment because they equate the passing of their parents/grandparents/friends/ext. with China. Those protests (likely) will be put down hard by their leadership, because they're the only people in their respective nations who benefit from Chinese money anyway.

Right now the west is talking about "Made in America/Canada/France/etc." but that will never happen because there is more money to be made this fiscal quarter if we remain in China, and like in the developing world, the people on top make more money this way, so LOL if you think things will change.

As for political sanctions? See above. As long as the 0.005%-ers are still making bank, they will fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo. As soon as this is over (if ever) every politician will start being bombarded with "how are you going to fix the economy?" questions, and locking China out with political/economic sanctions isn't going to help. The instant Covid is over it's going to be forgotten and everyone is going to be screaming about their investments and home prices and forget why this situation was allowed to spiral out of control in the first place.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What's fun is if a vaccine isn't forthcoming next year all these countries that responded overwhelmingly and pushed their curves back down well ahead of herd immunity will eventually be stuck going back to work and n a world where covid is still a thing without antibodies, basically diving back in to this spring

schmug
May 20, 2007

Akuma posted:

I guess this is the part I'd not considered. I have a family of four in a small rented apartment, we couldn't store more than a week's worth of fruit and vegetables in the fridge unless that's all we had in there, and it still wouldn't be much more.

There's also limits at the supermarkets on what you can buy so it's not like I can really stock up on tinned stuff without making multiple trips (which doesn't help the problem of not going out a lot) - and the freezer is the same situation as the fridge.

All things I hadn't considered. Sorry if I was overly harsh. I just assume everyone is and idiot or a troll or both these days. That being said, and as others mentioned more eloquently, there are alternatives to fresh stuff that you might have grown accustomed to.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

schmug posted:

Woe, 144 out of a population of over a billion isn't zero. You got us. I give up.

Sorry, i literally only responded because they posted zero and i thought they meant it. No need to go crazy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How are the supply chains for coal and natural gas looking during this pandemic? Since that's where over 60% of our electricity comes from.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

poverty goat posted:

What's fun is if a vaccine isn't forthcoming next year all these countries that responded overwhelmingly and pushed their curves back down well ahead of herd immunity will eventually be stuck going back to work and n a world where covid is still a thing without antibodies, basically diving back in to this spring

That's the plan for almost every country though? The point of flattening the curve is to only prevent big spikes that overwhelm the healthcare system. Only a few countries like South Korea and Taiwan are trying to go for full suppression.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

immunity for coronaviruses usually lasts 3-15 months, so it'll be a covid season every year

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

How are the supply chains for coal and natural gas looking during this pandemic? Since that's where over 60% of our electricity comes from.

I work for a large railroad that hauls a buncha coal (and just about everything else). Everything’s fine.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

George Zimmer posted:

I work for a large railroad that hauls a buncha coal (and just about everything else). Everything’s fine.

Good deal. Our power just went out for about an hour and it popped into my mind.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
While China's reported numbers are about as reliable and accurate as North Korea's this endless circle jerk about it isn't funny, interesting or productive.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Sorry, i literally only responded because they posted zero and i thought they meant it. No need to go crazy.

It's just getting tired, dude. Every time someone so much as questions the CCP's reporting you chime in with "I'm not saying I agree with or believe everything they are saying, but..." and then you post all kinds of ridiculous anecdotal arguments basically saying the opposite.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
BTW, the UK has more reported days today so far than Italy or Spain. Brexit is reestablishing British dominance already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mithaldu posted:

I agree.