Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Shadski posted:

What are the recommended settings for blocking and attacking? Mouse direction or keyboard? I've never played a M+B game fyi.

Mouse direction is infinitely easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

terrorist ambulance posted:

yeah, they're by far the hardest.literally savescumming a spear&shield fight right now because fuuuuuck

I actually like spear and shield but im also a retard. Try shield bashing "e" just before the AI can finish an attack, you stun and can get a free overhead hit on his face. its actually p funny.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I actually like spear and shield but im also a retard. Try shield bashing "e" just before the AI can finish an attack, you stun and can get a free overhead hit on his face. its actually p funny.

No spear and shield is good, it's just the arena fights with heavily armored and shielded enemies also armed with spears are tough because they just devolve into poking each others shields for a minute then you gently caress up your block and die

Yeah I've been mixing shield bashing and circle strafing to beat them. The only problem with bashing is I find sometimes they'll recover very quickly from the stun and hit you while you're swinging

I wish tournaments gave skill increases

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bakalakadaka posted:

I made a friend

Hope you didn't want to ride him, because you need 90 skill and probably have like 26 lol

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Hope you didn't want to ride him, because you need 90 skill and probably have like 26 lol

I actually have over 100 riding from being an rear end in a top hat horse archer but I have a different 90 skill horse from another tournament that's faster.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How do I raise riding skill faster?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ride a horse, fight while riding a horse, go fast on the campaign map.

I dunno why people are having trouble with riding skill it's one of the easiest skills to raise. Just make sure you put enough points in it that you aren't capping it out all the time.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011

dogstile posted:

Mouse direction is infinitely easier.

For attacking, blocking or both?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Nah, it's pretty hard to raise if you don't circle strafe looters putting arrows/throwing weapons into them for a while.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

kidkissinger posted:

How do I raise riding skill faster?

Equip a bow, ride fast, and shoot into groups of enemies. It's easy to get a hit that way and getting hits while riding fast raises your skill.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Catpain Slack posted:

I get that they might not want the player to be an unstoppable death machine like in Warband and Fire & Sword, but in Bannerlord I can get my teeth kicked in by a handful of low-level infantry and that's not fun either.

It might be cheesy, but I run 1/3rd damage to the PC and realistic everywhere else just so I dont get knocked out by 2 arrows. I was always a fan of dynasty warriors and this let's me live it out in a medieval setting.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Catpain Slack posted:

What if i am the Khuzait? :smith:

Beat up those stupid imperials and steal the horses from their cataphract tin cans to expand your army of comically op horse archers, that's what I've been doing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I installed the 50 party limit for hideouts, and No Load Screens for bandit encounters. My game crashes now regularly without a reason, rather frustrating. I've started to warm up to this, despite being frustrated. The battles offer unique experiences. I want hideouts to be easier, though. THe load screens suck, and I want more mixed gender units in my Army. If we get some graphical mods too, I can see this being a good time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I set exp gain to 10x and its definitely way better, but probably something like 5-7x would be a bit better.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Vahakyla posted:

and I want more mixed gender units in my Army.
There's a mod for that, though I haven't used it yet.

as far as i can tell it just duplicates the regular troop lists but replaces, say, "tribesman" with "tribeswoman" or adds "female", but it does appear to work. Not sure if that's better or worse than how Warband did it.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 4, 2020

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

FFT posted:

There's a mod for that, though I haven't used it yet.

as far as i can tell it just duplicates the regular troop lists but replaces, say, "tribesman" with "tribeswoman" or adds "female", but it does appear to work. Not sure if that's better or worse than how Warband did it.

Thanks!

I wonder if the game would support system where "Recruit" can be just be randomly either without separation?

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Some lighter armor pieces can be worn as city clothes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Not to jinx it, but I still haven't encountered any crashing at all after 20+ hours.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not to jinx it, but I still haven't encountered any crashing at all after 20+ hours.

I can play a new save for anywhere from 10 to 30 days in game before my game crashes on troop payments. Then I have to start a new save.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, non-couching spears are really hard to hit targets with when on horseback. :downsgun:

I discovered that polearms with slashing options are completely broken - easy to hit with and often one shot even heavily armored enemies. I used to try and poke people, but now my long glaive has taken many, many heads off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pokes, I think, are easier one handed, cos you lean out with the pole a lot more, or at least it feels like it.

I wish if you two handed on a horse you held the pole a bit further at the bottom.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

litany of gulps posted:

I discovered that polearms with slashing options are completely broken - easy to hit with and often one shot even heavily armored enemies. I used to try and poke people, but now my long glaive has taken many, many heads off.

Long glaive seems like probably the best weapon on horseback. You can poke with it, couch it, and when you go 2H it's really easy to hit for super high damage with the swings. It's also pretty reasonably priced.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I see tons of looters in the game, and rarely sea raiders, but I'm missing the old army deserter groups that would go around- they were good mid-game.

Of course, there's no mid-game right now. You can go from schlub to richest lord in the land in a very short amount of time using one of a few methods.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bold Robot posted:

Long glaive seems like probably the best weapon on horseback. You can poke with it, couch it, and when you go 2H it's really easy to hit for super high damage with the swings. It's also pretty reasonably priced.

Where do those tend to show up at? I haven't seen a weapon called "Long Glaive" yet (or even just a Glaive).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Glaives started showing up since the last patch but they're probably more of a khuzait/aserai thing. The fine steel menavlion also works and is an empire thing.

If I was to recommend a weapon it'd probably be the heavy executioner's axe. Absolutely absurd damage, like 130 cut or something. Kills peasants stone dead in one hit, as well as most other things for that matter. Two handed axe also makes it good against shields and you can totally hit multiple people with it per swing, I think I killed like three people with it at once one time.

It's about long enough to make a decent horseback weapon too, though I'd only use it against sword troops and the like, not a charging weapon but pretty good for sitting up there hacking at people.

It shines in a mass melee through because you can stand behind people and just overhead swing into the crowd murdering the poo poo out of people. Definitely recommend bringing one along for a siege cos it's great for winning the wall push.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 4, 2020

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Oh man, I executed like 2/3rds of the southern empires lords and when I went to make peace, they only wanted 8k despite me having 300k in gold and probably 100k worth of items in my inventory.

I guess they really wanted me to stop.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
There seems to be no actual game here. You can get insanely rich and take over everything with lightning speed. What's the point of even playing rn?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Pokes, I think, are easier one handed, cos you lean out with the pole a lot more, or at least it feels like it.

I wish if you two handed on a horse you held the pole a bit further at the bottom.

I lucked out into unlocking a Lance shaft (240ish length) and a Tier IV polearm razorblade (160+ cutting damage) at 10 smithing skill that crafts for only 2 steel and some hardwood.

When I crafted it it substracted like 4 swing damage and swing speed and other stats because my smithing skill is poo poo but it still hits for 200+ on basically any enemy at insane range. It's broken as hell.

It's basically Kaverra's polearm from Pendor but on steroids and usable on horseback. Fits like a glove for my Ludmilla Loinripper character gimmick :getin:

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 4, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There seems to be no actual game here. You can get insanely rich and take over everything with lightning speed. What's the point of even playing rn?

The majority of the point in mount and blade is literally just to get in big fights and run people over on a horse.

Believe it or not the RPG elements and city management are far more in depth in this than they were in warband. Also the fights are definitely better, much more coherence in the armies, they block up well and send off cavalry detachments to screen and poo poo.

I think the best way to have fun right now is to screw long term planning, get yourself a small group of soldiers, ideally on horseback, and sign yourself up with someone who's at war, join a big 300 strong army, and hope you get into fights with another 300 strong army, then ride your little squad around trying to kill as many of the enemy as you can, if you lose, run off the field and leave the army!

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Drone posted:

Man, what does it take to make peace be declared?

I've been a bannerman for the Northern Empire for awhile now, at war with the Khuzaits. After the Khuzaits initially pushed deep into Northern Empire territory, we rallied, pushed them back, and have so far taken several castles and one of the major cities. In my first-ever kingdom-level army that I myself commanded, we besieged and took Tepes Castle and its surrounding towns, and the Senate voted to award the fief of Tepes to me. I've since been doing everything I can to fortify it since my lands are now smack dab on the front lines. The Khuzaits have been losing major battles left and right, but still refuse to fold.

Am I gonna have to siege down every Khuzait city before peace breaks out? Is every war in this game a total war?

I also did the same thing after watching the southern empire steam roll in my last game . Now the NE seems like the butt of a bad joke. The Khuzaits would push in NE so much I figure it would be a good way to make money and hell I was not disappointed. They were really bad though because they would raise armies to fight the Khuzaits and give destroyed every time or get backcapped. I became a vassal and I swear the NE fucks also gave me a castle on the front line to offload their ineptness. Khuzaits would basically keep raiding my farms to the point I said f it and started executing them. Once that happened, the NE idiots didnt have to worry about getting slapped down by the same people again and began to push into Khuzait territory, getting Makeb and the northern and city as well. I wanted to capture a small castle fief close to my area but they declared peace after executing their entire bloodline. Then NE decided to f with the batarians which lead me capturing a batarian city on the other side by myself when I let the NE peeps serve as a distraction on the main front. The batarians even sent a 505 person force to stop but I stopped the siege, ran away and came back and finished the job.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So pretty much right after my last post, Peace Were Declared between my Northern Empire and the Khuzaits. NE immediately declared on the remains of the Sturgians, who were getting their poo poo absolutely wrecked by the WE. Now the Sturgians pretty much don't exist anymore (they have like 150 soldiers on the field somewhere, but they don't control a single castle or town, so... why aren't they extinct), so the NE is de facto at peace with all of its neighbors, and I have no clue what to even do at this point while I wait for Lucon to get off his lazy rear end and declare on someone.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Why don't tournaments give skill increases? I figure that would be the main reason to play around with them , since the rewards are pretty meager compared to smithing and raiding.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've been struggling to get my troops to listen to me in siege battles. When attacking a castle, I want my infantry to stay back while my archers engage in a ranged battle with the enemy on the walls. Unfortunately, the infantry just run around and try to storm the castle with ladders even if I tell them to follow me or hold position. The archers also scatter all over the field to the barriers, when I'd kind of prefer them to stay in a loose group.

Any advice?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I teamed up with the Vlandians and holy gently caress is this game incredible when you get into the massive battles. Being wrapped up in a siege with hundreds of troops on each side is just astounding. I even got my own castle! (that I can't do much with)

Has anyone figured out how to get a wife yet? I wanna raise the next generation of mass murderers.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

litany of gulps posted:

I've been struggling to get my troops to listen to me in siege battles. When attacking a castle, I want my infantry to stay back while my archers engage in a ranged battle with the enemy on the walls. Unfortunately, the infantry just run around and try to storm the castle with ladders even if I tell them to follow me or hold position. The archers also scatter all over the field to the barriers, when I'd kind of prefer them to stay in a loose group.

Any advice?

are they actually your's?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Any advice?

their probably under the command of another lord for that battle.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're gonna put auto-blocking back in, for those of you who really wanted it. I was honestly getting used to the new system!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Taintrunner posted:

I teamed up with the Vlandians and holy gently caress is this game incredible when you get into the massive battles. Being wrapped up in a siege with hundreds of troops on each side is just astounding. I even got my own castle! (that I can't do much with)

Has anyone figured out how to get a wife yet? I wanna raise the next generation of mass murderers.

Theres not much to it. Talk to a single lady, pass skill checks with both her and her parent. Thats it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

are they actually your's?

Roobanguy posted:

their probably under the command of another lord for that battle.

This is with my army being the only one present!

Edit: Playing around with it, it seems that a bunch of troops automatically deploy to the siege camp stuff regardless of what orders you give them. Archers go to the little protective barriers, infantry will go set up the ladders and things like that. Any troops in excess of that will listen to your orders like normal. I was besieging a castle using a relatively small army, so it felt like most of my army went out of my control.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
A review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxbCCNxeWQ