Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah though you can't really do that in this at the moment, and they don't really matter much even if you could.

Plus I think the actually important non combat skills are still ones you would need to rank up yourself a bit, like tactics to place units before battles, most of the management line seems to be geared around personal control of fiefdoms etc.

There are stat models for the procedural generated dudes; there is a scout one with 60 scouting that will show track details on the map, a tactics guy with 60 tactics who lets you "sneak away" from big fights with relatively minor losses, and a medic one with like 80 surgery who costs way more than the other regular companions. There's definitely a lot of generic ones too though. Note that the stat layout on some is completely random, I got a lady with 150 in all combat stats and 90 in riding for less than another dude with 100 with everything and 60 in riding.

It's also funny to note how unbalanced most of the unit stats are; beyond the gigantic advantage bows/xbows give in battle, lots of the ranged units in the game get the same one handed skill and athletics as the actual infantry and usually get the same swords, shields, armor, etc. There's almost no reason to actually use infantry for the vast majority of faction trees.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It is very hard to setup spears and poo poo against cav. I am looking forward to a pause mod so you can set more careful orders. Right now I'm favoring letting the AI do its thing with f6 unless I'm at a defensible position. If you go down last orders are kept which can really gently caress you.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Made my own kingdom, looks like they haven't enabled the ability to declare war normally but raiding a village works fine. Unfortunately, this cost me 250 influence for whatever reason. I'd rather be able to make armies so I can actually fight this war, and thankfully you can edit your save folder in your documents folder and edit your influence.
Editing my save file might have borked my game, can't load saves now, nice
Edit: yep, changing those integers would not allow the game to recognize the save file.

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 4, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Their nicknames (cognomens? I forget what they're called) pretty much tell you what they are, at least the ones who have it. Every game is gonna have a "X the Fish" who is a mediocre scout and a "Y Frostbeard" who is a slightly better scout.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I want the warband companions b back

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

Not really a glitch per say, but a funny sequence of events. I got a quest to go find a guy's daughter and bring her home because she ran off and he wants to stay in the town and marry someone. So she ran off with some guy and he challenges me to a duel and I murder him. She has some long dialog about how I murdered her love and I'm a monster and she hates me. Well, I take her home, collect the bounty, and immediately hire her as a companion because I need a surgeon lol.

Wait, do the roles in the clan not work yet or something?

No they work fine in that assigning someone to one with right skill improves your army.

You just can't get companions for the most part who are actually good at noncombat stuff. Most of them are fighters and the ones that aren't aren't actually very good at noncombat things, like 60-80 points maximum.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I want the warband companions b back

There are premade companions, or at least parts of them, in the files so we'll get better companions eventually.

Also you know modders are going to stick in all our old favorites.

[edit] modders are already making custom companion mods (So far, they're all women... of course...)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 4, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Man I really gotta get in the habit of manually saving my progress more. I keep just mindlessly playing a campaign until I do something really dumb and lose pretty much all my army progress and interest because it autosaved right before or after said thing.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 4, 2020

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Does the perk to set your formation before battles not work or am I supposed to do something special to activate it? Perk says active but I never get the chance to set the formation, I just spawn in as normal.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BillyC posted:

Does the perk to set your formation before battles not work or am I supposed to do something special to activate it? Perk says active but I never get the chance to set the formation, I just spawn in as normal.

I believe it's on the long list of perks that don't work.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The top-level new-Khergit lancer cavalry is either broken or there's a display bug, because it has a pole-arm skill of 20, whereas the prior tier has 100 (so guessing it should be 120).

Where the gently caress are the lances? I've yet to see a single one that says it can be couched.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are premade companions, or at least parts of them, in the files so we'll get better companions eventually.

Also you know modders are going to stick in all our old favorites.

[edit] modders are already making custom companion mods (So far, they're all women... of course...)

As long as Ymira can rack up 10+ kills a battle again I don't care what they do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enigma posted:

The top-level new-Khergit lancer cavalry is either broken or there's a display bug, because it has a pole-arm skill of 20, whereas the prior tier has 100 (so guessing it should be 120).

Where the gently caress are the lances? I've yet to see a single one that says it can be couched.

There's quite a few strange statistics inconsistencies in stat lines for units, for example the imperial crossbow sergeant is more proficiant in bows than crossbows.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
How are you guys setting up companions to actually be effective in battle? I have a couple with high combat stats and put them in the proper control groups and everything but they rarely get any kills. Would I be better setting my 2 hander guy as an infantry guy instead of on horseback and doing the same with my archers? I put them on horses since they have high skill in that and have good gear on them but they seem pretty useless.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The only thing I like about companions right now is being able to whoop their asses in every tournament.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've never really played much at kingdom level in the originals, so a general philosphy question: is it viable for me to turtle up with a limited number of cities and castles once I get them to build up their defenses before declaring war again on enemies, or is it like Civilization where if I do that I'm going to get steamrolled because one clan wiped out the rest of the map and now it's me against doomstacks?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Bruc posted:

How are you guys setting up companions to actually be effective in battle? I have a couple with high combat stats and put them in the proper control groups and everything but they rarely get any kills. Would I be better setting my 2 hander guy as an infantry guy instead of on horseback and doing the same with my archers? I put them on horses since they have high skill in that and have good gear on them but they seem pretty useless.
Sword/shield/long spear/throwing axes or javelins for mine. I like to use them as my personal guard so I give all of them fast horses with the best horse armor I can find.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I've just been giving mine whatever random poo poo we find that kind of matches their stats and they seem to do alright.

One of mine got 12 kills in a hideout raid before eating poo poo just now.

Also whoever posted the tip about archers being set to hold fire on hideout raids was spot on. I went full Ghengis Khan so most (all) of my army is horse archers, when I raid a hideout I get myself and my 3 companions up front with shields and half a dozen of the top tier noble archers behind us just decimate everything, raiding hideouts with 40+ bandits is no biggy at all, at most all that happens is 1 or 2 companions getting knocked out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Very disappointed I cant make garum at a workshop using fish tbh

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've never really played much at kingdom level in the originals, so a general philosphy question: is it viable for me to turtle up with a limited number of cities and castles once I get them to build up their defenses before declaring war again on enemies, or is it like Civilization where if I do that I'm going to get steamrolled because one clan wiped out the rest of the map and now it's me against doomstacks?

I assume that your villages attached to your castles or town will just get raided and your food stocks and prosperity will plummet, causing your garrison and militia to desert your holdings. This will also happen if you just have too many soldiers in a garrison. I think.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I give all my companions horses, shields and usually a one hander. I put them at the top of my list and let them charge. They usually do fine. This run I’ve given them maces, hopefully they’ll get me some prisoners.

Has anyone noticed that surgeon barely speeds up healing your troops? I guess in its current state it’s utility lies more in keeping you troops alive.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I equip my companions with horses and bows because you can never have too many horse archers.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Here's a guide to commanding, turn on subtitles or work on your French- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJI2_3qPc8

Key points are probably F3-F2 to have your guys raise their shields. They'll hold that position or you can move them forward and they'll keep their shields up. Be careful not to die though; even one or two enemies can easily take down a shield wall if they work their way down the length fighting 2v1 while your men dutifully hold the line, and you can't change the order while you're dead.

Holding F1 or one of the number keys (1, 2, 3, 0 etc) and drawing the line is also extremely useful.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Voyager I posted:

I believe it's on the long list of perks that don't work.

Ah okay, that's a shame. its one of the few perks I was looking forward to using.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Another patch! Nothing groundbreaking for me, but should limit snowballing more.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
"Yeah, I can send two of my men to take the herd across Calradia, if you'll take 17 of my wounded people first."

"Uh, sure."

Why does the game automatically add wounded people, I have plenty of non wounded people of the troop type and the wounded people don't count.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

wilderthanmild posted:

To add to this, the trick in the old games was to not pour too much into the not combat skills(other than leadership), and to seek companions who could fill those roles for your party. Like don't spend a bunch on medicine, go find one of those companions who has that skill and pay them to be in your party.

This is just straight up wrong, 30 INT builds are ridiculous in Warband and you get enough xp that in a 30 hour campaign you can get to like 12 STR, 10 AGI (with 4 riding from your background), 30 INT and 15 CHA and just zoom around the map ganking while like 12% of your casualties die.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Headshots with a throwing spear has to be one of the most satisfying things in this game.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Dodging throwing axes and knives is pretty good too, they nailed the sound exactly.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mesadoram posted:

Headshots with a throwing spear has to be one of the most satisfying things in this game.

The first time I used a harpoon I was floored how satisfying it is to just kill jerks with it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

wilderthanmild posted:

The first time I used a harpoon I was floored how satisfying it is to just kill jerks with it.

The javelin troops would be so much better if you could, as the player, have them go on the skirmishing behavior that the AI can put troops on where they back off as they're about to get charged.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is armors effectiveness a bit underwhelming for anyone else? Or is this pretty accurate for the pre-platemail period

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

Dodging throwing axes and knives is pretty good too, they nailed the sound exactly.

How... many axes and knives have you had thrown at you in real life?

I mean I agree that the sound communicates that you are having an axe thrown at you but the phrasing is curious...

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Dandywalken posted:

Is armors effectiveness a bit underwhelming for anyone else? Or is this pretty accurate for the pre-platemail period

100% agreed, combat is brutal and awesome, but you and other heavy armor troops go down too easy. A system of armor piercing vs flesh damage might be a good change

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

100% agreed, combat is brutal and awesome, but you and other heavy armor troops go down too easy. A system of armor piercing vs flesh damage might be a good change

Yeah I feel like armor doesn't really matter enough especially in the group combat- in real life good armor provided very good protection from long distance archery and it would do a lot to make archers less dominant without the LOS/night restrictions that they had before.

The AI is way better about swarming though which makes numbers a lot more important than they used to be.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I mean with a good set of armor it takes three-four hits with an arrow to down you unless they get your noggin

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I can't speak for armor in single player but in multiplayer it makes a huge difference. With a sword you can one-hit a peasant in the head or two hit their body, but an armored class takes ~5 hits to the body and ~3 to the head.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mongoose posted:

I can't speak for armor in single player but in multiplayer it makes a huge difference. With a sword you can one-hit a peasant in the head or two hit their body, but an armored class takes ~5 hits to the body and ~3 to the head.

In singleplayer it's a pretty big deal too. People just getting swarmed imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think part of the problem is a lot of things you get hit and it's like "aa gently caress that hurts" and that doesn't stop happening with armour, you just get to experience it a couple more times before you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The last update seems to have completely broken the game for me. Crashes at startup. Tried verifying game files, no dice. Tried uninstalling, deleting all files and folders manually, reinstalling, still loving crashing. Can't even send the crash reports because that crashes too.

It's too bad because they are patching poo poo at a pretty great pace and I was looking forward to starting a new game with some of the improvements.