Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BBJoey posted:

my strategy has simply been to install the good ones and not install the bad ones

I too find this an optimal strategy!

Edit:
What a godawful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

BBJoey posted:

my strategy has simply been to install the good ones and not install the bad ones

but that means i spend the next week in seyda neen weeding out the new bad ones

also im giving MO2 a shot this go around to keep my vanilla directory cherry but im spoiled on sse/fo4 having everyone on board with directories and still getting loose files in morrowind mods even if they're back from 2-3 years ago and im not as familiarized with the system yet

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my most recent playthrough was on xbox one, so no mods, and it was actually great. felt good to not have to fuckin deal with any of that poo poo and just play a stable version of the game that looked nice.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

playthrough was on xbox

:eyepop:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they made the original xbox version backwards compatible on xbox one and up-resed it and made it more stable. it is a perfectly fine way to play morrowind, especially if your wrists suck as hard as mine do and you can't really do m+k anymore

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

all i can remember about xbox morrowind (it being the first way i played morrowind way back around initial launch) is im pretty sure i bought a crossbow in seyda neen which uh...is definitely not a thing now

that and i died in the first cave a ton and then took it back to blockbuster

Orv
May 4, 2011
I also played Morrowind first on Xbox - a friend's Xbox - because I didn't have a computer at the time which got a reasonable FPS on it. It was fine, for what it was but I will say that UI was remarkably usable considering.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
*xbox boot up sounds*
Yeah gonna make my first guy i'll be a mage
*extremely slow because I have too many mushrooms*
poo poo i'm poor i'm gonna walk to Balmora what can go wrong
*gets lost, attacked by breeding kagouti, wastes all my mp to try and kill it, but it wasn't enough*
poo poo! Luckily I was able to hide under this dock. I can't swim my way out because of fish, but I have all these mushrooms of water walking...
*no effect x24*
*starts working, I start running*
holy poo poo i'm gonna make it!
*waterwalking 2 seconds expires*
*500 slaughterfish come outta nowhere*

…. I think i'm gonna make a fighter.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
All I remember about Xbox Morrowind was black white black black black.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Editor question.

I tried editing a chest to have 99999.00 encumbrance for max storage and saved it with a unique ID in a mod file on my edit of the Telvanni Stronghold. When I load up the game, it does not appear, and the original chest is in its place. However if I reload the construction set it shows as being in place. Any idea what is happening? Here are the steps I took:

- Selected Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon Data Files
- Selected my mod file (Tel_Stronghold.esp) as the Active file
- Loaded up cell Tel Uvirith, Tower Lower
- Selected Chest (I can't remember the original ID, lets say its common_02)
- Changed encumbrance to 99999.00
- Changed ID to Tel_U_Chest_Inf
- Saved new object
- Saved Tel_Stronghold.esp

When I load up the game and click the chest, it has the original ID common_02 and can only hold 200 weight.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

You still need to place your newly created chest in place of the existing one. It'll appear in the container list when you save a new object.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

The Furious Pirate posted:

EDIT: By the way, to the OP of the thread (wherever you are) please know that I did NOT take part in making Vvardenfell Visages. I'm not nearly that good and you give me too much credit. I merely compiled my own pluginless Better Heads remix back in the day. Thank Telesphoros for Vvardenfell Visages. :D

Hello. Yes. Hi. Sorry I've been a bit absent recently but I've been slammed the past couple weeks with things (including commentating a Morrowind speedrun for Yes! Glitches Allowed the other day). I updated the text to properly attribute Telesphoros and mention you created the pluginless one.

Fake James posted:

Editor question.

I tried editing a chest to have 99999.00 encumbrance for max storage and saved it with a unique ID in a mod file on my edit of the Telvanni Stronghold. When I load up the game, it does not appear, and the original chest is in its place. However if I reload the construction set it shows as being in place. Any idea what is happening? Here are the steps I took:

- Selected Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon Data Files
- Selected my mod file (Tel_Stronghold.esp) as the Active file
- Loaded up cell Tel Uvirith, Tower Lower
- Selected Chest (I can't remember the original ID, lets say its common_02)
- Changed encumbrance to 99999.00
- Changed ID to Tel_U_Chest_Inf
- Saved new object
- Saved Tel_Stronghold.esp

When I load up the game and click the chest, it has the original ID common_02 and can only hold 200 weight.

Do you have your new plugin checked/activated in the data files section of the game launcher?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Do you have your new plugin checked/activated in the data files section of the game launcher?

Yes, the new plugin is active. All other edited parts of the room work... just cant get the chests to change correctly.
Curiously I tried tinkering with it again. I have 2 chests in 2 corners of the room - this time 1 of them was replaced correctly when the game loaded, but the 2nd one refused to budge... however at the same time a table I placed in the room now disappeared. The table shows up in the construction set :psyduck:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Kill Command mod in the recommend list sounds good but i dont know what is a good companion mod

I dont want anything like the singular companion mods, which are cringey, or the older general recruit anyone mods, also cringey, id just like to maybe recruit some like minded faction members to go do crimes and not have to worry about keeping up with me or using mark and recall

is there a mod for me, the person not looking for horny, or also busted recruit absolutely anyone mods

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i know theres things like MCA which range from like things like hey im a level 5 rogue or hey im a level 50 person in seyda neen in adamantium armor you can just persuasion check with enough effort

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Berke Negri posted:

is there a mod for me, the person not looking for horny, or also busted recruit absolutely anyone mods

Ah, a man of discerning taste. May I suggest the ash ghoul dancer mod?

Orv
May 4, 2011
You may not.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

kazr posted:

Ah, a man of discerning taste. May I suggest the ash ghoul dancer mod?

*sips cyrodilic brandy*
"harum yes, developed tastes"
*tugs cuff of exquisite shirt*
"of course, harruruhrm"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

The Kill Command mod in the recommend list sounds good but i dont know what is a good companion mod

I dont want anything like the singular companion mods, which are cringey, or the older general recruit anyone mods, also cringey, id just like to maybe recruit some like minded faction members to go do crimes and not have to worry about keeping up with me or using mark and recall

In vanilla tribunal you can hire mercenaries

The Furious Pirate
Oct 10, 2005
ARGH MATEY!

Berke Negri posted:

If you use OpenMW, I can wholeheartedly recommend Persuasive Speech: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47388

It lets you recruit a good number of NPCs based on your speechcraft and personality ratings so long as you outrank them in level or title. Some will still refuse to follow you based on their profession, though (shopkeepers, heads of factions like Caius, etc.) So, it's not really a "recruit anyone" mod per se.

It's the best companion mod I've ever personally used. Be careful with it, though. It's theoretically possible to break quests if you recruit someone tied to one and end up getting them killed. Use it responsibly. :)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

*sips cyrodilic brandy*
"harum yes, developed tastes"
*tugs cuff of exquisite shirt*
"of course, harruruhrm"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkyPnpW7eQ8

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
DarkElfGuy did a showcase of my second-stupidest mod Pillow Mage Manor lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObfXnZE_NKc

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Stuporstar posted:

DarkElfGuy did a showcase of my second-stupidest mod Pillow Mage Manor lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObfXnZE_NKc

Congratulations. By the way, we're talking about you in the general TES thread:

Vavrek posted:

edit: I just looked at the list of alchemy ingredients that give Restore Fatigue and it's Bread's sole effect.

So a Restore Fatigue potion can basically just be a sandwich. Crab, egg, scuttle, whatever, put some bread around it and eat.

dracula vladdy AF posted:

Has there ever been a mod that allows the player to make sandwiches? There are a lot of interesting ingredients in Morrowind and I'd like to make sandwiches with them

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Does the tea mod add tea sandwiches? I know it adds some small cookies and biscuits.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

did morrowind gold ever get reupped somewhere on nexus

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Vavrek posted:

Congratulations. By the way, we're talking about you in the general TES thread:

Thanks. I replied in the thread

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

all these newer mods with robust MCM options owns so much

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So I'm taking a crack at this after not playing Morrowind for a decade and it's all very confusing! I'm trying to install Wrye Bash and my Morrowind installation isn't showing up. Do I even need this thing?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

hi liter posted:

So I'm taking a crack at this after not playing Morrowind for a decade and it's all very confusing! I'm trying to install Wrye Bash and my Morrowind installation isn't showing up. Do I even need this thing?

I mean, if you're using only a couple of mods that don't make changes to leveled lists or modify the same thing in some way, or require you to edit your load order, you'll be alright.

If you're not going to use mods, then no, you don't need it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ok - thanks handy to know. I'm getting lost trying to follow various guides. Gonna take another crack at this tomorrow with a very simple list of mods.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Absolutely Essential: These will make the game not buggy or crash prone.

Morrowind Script Extender <--Extends scripting functionality. Required for just about everything nowadays.
Patch for Purists <--"Unofficial Patch" that bugfixes everything that's broken in the game.
Morrowind Optimization Patch <--Optimizes commonly used meshes for a pretty significant increase in performance.
Project Atlas <--Optimizes commonly used textures for a pretty significant increase in performance.
Morrowind Code Patch <--Fixes bugs within Morrowind.exe and has some extra options you can tweak too.

Not ~Essential~ but Highly Recommended: These mods precisely target the worst aspects of Morrowind and go a long way toward making it feel like a much younger game.

Morrowind Graphics Extender XE <--Modern graphics. Distant land, accurate atmospheric fog & lighting, shadows, anti-aliasing, realistic water, too much to list here.
Beware the Sixth House <--Base game difficulty balance focused on "end game" content. Makes Dagoth Ur and the Sixth House properly difficult foes to fight.
Tribunal Rebalanced <--Balances out Tribunal content relative to Vvardenfell and integrates it into the base game much more naturally than the devs did.
Bloodmoon Rebalanced <--Smooths out Bloodmoon's very high level content and makes it more suitable for mid-level characters to do. Feels less like DLC.
Mort's Ultimate Leveling Experience <--Irons out the quirks in the leveling system, just play however you want and it'll take care of the rest. No longer obsess over attribute bonuses.
Glow in the Dahrk <--Windows light up at night, sunlight filters in during the day.
Remiros' Groundcover <--Adds grass, flowers, mushrooms and various other ground things to the otherwise bare terrain. Requires Morrowind Graphics Extender to use.
Weapon Sheathing <--Your weapons and shields appears on your character when you put them away instead of just disappearing into thin air.
UI Expansion <--Quality of life improvements to the UI, including filtering, search, more info about stuff.
Intelligent Textures <--AI upscaled vanilla texture pack. Makes things crispy.
REFResH <--Health regen based on your health:fatigue ratio.
Next Generation Combat <--Melee combat overhaul. 100% to hit always, complemented with an interesting perk system and updates to how skills are factored into combat. I just about consider this essential tbh.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

nice list, I recognize some of those mods :shobon:

my 2 cent additions

Expansion Delay is just as essential unless for some reason you enjoy the steady stream of assassins at level 1
Speed and Stamina Tweaked is my preferred movement / fatigue fixer. Use the base esp or the 10% faster version (not both).
Graphical Herbalism = yes

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
A little preview of future content, by Rats and MAJ-12 MEDIA (MorrowindShorts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYIHmv5n9g

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sorry for the extremely newbie question here, but I decided to give Morrowind a spin and, using the OP as a guide, I'm already at a loss.

I bought the game on Steam and the OP recommends just moving it to C:/Morrowind. It points to this page to explain how to move the game's location, but the page in question just seems to get into setting a whole download directory (or, alternatively, moving Steam itself?). I assume if I targeted the C drive root directly, that I'd get a bunch of Steam-y cruft in there. Can someone clarify what I'm missing? Thanks!

E: For that matter, is there any reason I can't just copy the Morrowind folder to the desired location and just ignore all the Steam poo poo entirely?

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 11, 2020

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I let it install normally thru steam and have had no problems. all my issues were from loving up mods

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Sorry for the extremely newbie question here, but I decided to give Morrowind a spin and, using the OP as a guide, I'm already at a loss.

I bought the game on Steam and the OP recommends just moving it to C:/Morrowind. It points to this page to explain how to move the game's location, but the page in question just seems to get into setting a whole download directory (or, alternatively, moving Steam itself?). I assume if I targeted the C drive root directly, that I'd get a bunch of Steam-y cruft in there. Can someone clarify what I'm missing? Thanks!

E: For that matter, is there any reason I can't just copy the Morrowind folder to the desired location and just ignore all the Steam poo poo entirely?

Steam in general has problems if you install it in program files due to permission issues, which is probably why the OP recommends not installing it there.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Steam in general has problems if you install it in program files due to permission issues, which is probably why the OP recommends not installing it there.

okay, that much is easily avoided. I thought it needed to be C:/Morrowind specifically, but I guess I misunderstood. Thank you.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

okay, that much is easily avoided. I thought it needed to be C:/Morrowind specifically, but I guess I misunderstood. Thank you.
YMMV. I tried my current run with the steam version too and had a collection of strange problems and instabilities.
Then I bought it from GoG, installed it to c:\morrowind and happily lived ever after.

If you are still inside steams grace period I would suggest refunding your steam copy and getting it from GoG.

On the other hand, you might be perfectly fine with the steam version and will not have any problems at all (like many people in this thread).

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Nektu posted:

YMMV. I tried my current run with the steam version too and had a collection of strange problems and instabilities.
Then I bought it from GoG, installed it to c:\morrowind and happily lived ever after.

If you are still inside steams grace period I would suggest refunding your steam copy and getting it from GoG.

On the other hand, you might be perfectly fine with the steam version and will not have any problems at all (like many people in this thread).

I managed to get it working, but it was really shaky getting there. I think I'm still in the grace period so I'm going to do as advised and switch to the GoG version. I want to make this as easy on myself as possible.

Other than that, my only challenge left is the game itself. I'm getting murderated in the very first cave but I'm given to understand that's just how it works here.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Yeah combat is brutal before you’ve got some decent equipment and the skills to use it.

I can recommend theft, unlike later TES instalments there’s actually stuff worth stealing in Morrowind. Then you can sell that and use the money to buy training in a weapon skill so you’ll be able to hit anything ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Other than that, my only challenge left is the game itself. I'm getting murderated in the very first cave but I'm given to understand that's just how it works here.

fatigue fatigue fatigue

keep fatigue high, download "speed and stamina tweaked" or get used to resting before every cave.

if you run your fatigue will drain, at 0 fatigue you have -25% chance to hit, at 100% fatigue you have +25%

that also goes for opponents. if you're at 0 fatigue you have 25% less chance to dodge

i am the biggest proponent of morrowind's combat being great if you fix fatigue