Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Aw heck. The deification mechanics are in the DLC. That's it, I found the hook. That's how they get ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How is it? Im one of the last dumbasses in the world still has to work so I have to live vicariously through this thread until tonight.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 31, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I really like all the UI polishing. poo poo loads of new heritages for countries, which is nice. Haven't put too much time in yet, obviously

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I like that you can star a character to kinda keep better tabs on them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Druidics can slot a +discipline god in both the military and the economic slots. :black101:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
already encountered my first bug, when I open the religion screen the entire thing is blank and there are no deities

its not even like there are empty slots for them, its just a blank menu screen

Edit: Got a screenshot

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 31, 2020

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Check your ruler for the "atheist" trait.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Flavius Aetass posted:

Check your ruler for the "atheist" trait.

No traits, Ive also tried judea and a random tribe in gaul and had the same screen

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
heh got 'em

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wafflecopper posted:

Not sure how I feel about these new loyalty mechanics. You certainly have to be very careful who you put in charge of your armies. I gave my only stack to a dude with 40 loyalty because I remembered that giving dudes commands increased their loyalty in the old version. It still does, but it also increases their power base, which decreases their loyalty, and the change is of course now immediate. He immediately went rogue and started the civil war timer. RIP that run, at least it wasn't too far in. I don't get what was wrong with the way loyalty worked before, at least if you screwed up you had time to deal with it. Maybe I just need to play more and get a better handle on it.

On another attempt now and I gave my army to a guy who had 100 loyalty. My ruler died, a new one got elected, and suddenly my general was the head of another family or party or something, which meant he had a huge power base and was now immediately disloyal. I had to ostracize him to avoid a civil war and now I'm at 80 tyranny (after also having to ostracize another guy) which has pushed my admiral into disloyalty and now I can't ferry my troops around to fight the war I'm in and also the civil war timer is ticking again :smithicide:

I don't think I like these new mechanics at all. Maybe I should just give up on using generals.

e: Reloaded (save scumming for now while I try to figure things out) and even with no generals, I have a guy disloyal and starting a civil war just because of his power base as a head of family, he doesn't even have any troops. This poo poo is actually broken and unplayable and I'm somebody who actually enjoyed the previous version. Gonna shelve the game until it gets some patching.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 1, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wafflecopper posted:

On another attempt now and I gave my army to a guy who had 100 loyalty. My ruler died, a new one got elected, and suddenly my general was the head of another family or party or something, which meant he had a huge power base and was now immediately disloyal. I had to ostracize him to avoid a civil war and now I'm at 80 tyranny (after also having to ostracize another guy) which has pushed my admiral into disloyalty and now I can't ferry my troops around to fight the war I'm in and also the civil war timer is ticking again :smithicide:

I don't think I like these new mechanics at all. Maybe I should just give up on using generals.

e: Reloaded (save scumming for now while I try to figure things out) and even with no generals, I have a guy disloyal and starting a civil war just because of his power base as a head of family, he doesn't even have any troops. This poo poo is actually broken and unplayable and I'm somebody who actually enjoyed the previous version. Gonna shelve the game until it gets some patching.

Actually sounds like a pretty accurate simulation of Roman politics.

:haw:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MrYenko posted:

I'm playing as Athens!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I:R has been an unmitigated disaster from launch to present tbh

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MrYenko posted:

the romans barely had any civil wars of the "general grabs an army" variety in the time period covered by imperator. two, at most, within a few decades of each other

the emphasis on civil war in a republic-era game is one of the reasons i have always had a weird feeling about imperator. it's more like a game based on the popular conception of "what the roman world was like" than a game based on the actual time period. it's as though paradox knows a lot about everything after 800 AD but gently caress all about anything beforehand

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Personally I would love if the game covered the entire history of the empire from the current start point to the fall of the western empire.

If EU4 can handle the discovery of the new world, the protestant reformation, the rise of absolute monarchies, the french revolution and the Napoleonic Wars then a Rome game can handle the republic, the imperial period, the rise of christianity, the crisis of the third century, the huns and the eventual fall.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AnEdgelord posted:

If EU4 can handle the discovery of the new world, the protestant reformation, the rise of absolute monarchies, the french revolution and the Napoleonic Wars then a Rome game can handle the republic, the imperial period, the rise of christianity, the crisis of the third century, the huns and the eventual fall.

In fairness, EU4 can't handle the French Revolution or Napoleonic Wars in anything resembling a reasonable sense.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Beamed posted:

In fairness, EU4 can't handle the French Revolution or Napoleonic Wars in anything resembling a reasonable sense.

Yeah but at least they try

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
My multiplayer is greyed out and says "Can't have an empty Username. Change it in the login window."

:thunk:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
On top of the religion bug I also saw that the game is loading with the wrong rulers when I select a country. Sparta is led by some Athenian guy and when I tried an Egypt it was led by a Selucid.

Im just gonna give this one a day or two for a hotfix.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Yeah, good call. Just got the conditions for the From Potter to King achievement, but it says I'm ineligible because my king is dead or not ruler.

Except..

So, about as solid a release as Imperator was :v:

redknob
Aug 29, 2005
I bought this months ago, only dabbled in it weeks ago but didn't get the hang of it, now I've been waiting for more patches based on assorted feedback. Now I'm not sure if I should fire it up again or keep waiting...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I haven't had any weird bugs so far

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm enjoying this now to the point it will be hard to go back to EU4. The map is better and I really like the warfare system with food and the interplay of different units. There is lots of peace time activity with pops and characters as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I figured out that the bug with the religion tab was caused by an old mod I had installed that I forgot about. Turned it off and its fine. Still have that problem with sparta being led by an athenian minor character who cant marry though

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 2, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Got it fixed after poking around on reddit, Sparta game is off and running

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I am getting regular CTDs with no apparent cause. Guess I’m waiting for a hotfix.

Had a really nice Caledonia campaign going, too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
got a few hours in and tbh I didn't find the new loyalty system to be that bad, I just gave free hands to anyone that was disloyal and that solved it

I'll probably have to deal with their corruption eventually but thats a future problem

Only other thing that I'm gonna have to figure out is how to navigate the rats nest of alliances in Greece, I allied Phrygia in hope of using them against Macedon but they're being a giant drama queen about joining my wars, one second they're good to go, I prepare for the war, and then after a month they decide that they actually don't want to join

So far its more interesting than the Rome and Parnia games I had played a few months back because unlike Rome you don't have a golden path to walk where you just get free everything on your way to inevitable victory and unlike Parnia you aren't just twiddling your thumbs waiting for the Selucids to eat poo poo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I figured out that the bug with the religion tab was caused by an old mod I had installed that I forgot about. Turned it off and its fine. Still have that problem with sparta being led by an athenian minor character who cant marry though

Do you have more info about this minor character issue? I'm still getting it for every single country in the world, and I've already tried a reinstall

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

toasterwarrior posted:

Do you have more info about this minor character issue? I'm still getting it for every single country in the world, and I've already tried a reinstall

Go to Documents>Paradox Interactive, delete the folder labelled "Imperator: Rome" then launch the game

You'll lose your saved games but it will fix the issue

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Go to Documents>Paradox Interactive, delete the folder labelled "Imperator: Rome" then launch the game

You'll lose your saved games but it will fix the issue

Ah, a cache issue, I should've figured. Thank you very much!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So, they've made Imperator free to play till tomorrow. So I got it. Looking through the tutorial. It's trying to teach me, but the thing it hasn't bothered to tell me is how to make money.

May I please ask where to start?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Bloodly posted:

So, they've made Imperator free to play till tomorrow. So I got it. Looking through the tutorial. It's trying to teach me, but the thing it hasn't bothered to tell me is how to make money.

Invade someone smaller than you, make their people slaves and trade their resources for money

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bloodly posted:

Money comes from four sources: Tax, Commerce, Events and Tribute

Commerce is a bit weird but you get money both from every trade route you have (doesn't matter whether its import or export) and your Citizen pops also generate some

Events isn't something you can really count on with one exception, whenever you capture a city you sometimes get an event on how hard you want to sack it which can result in hundreds of ducats in one burst, I think this event is more likely if your ruler is leading the army but I'm not sure

Tribute is just whenever you have a vassal and they pay you a monthly amount of money

Tax is the big one and its generated by Slaves, Freemen and Tribesmen. Unless you are an uncivilized tribe the one you care about is Slaves which are the pops that generate the most tax. You can get Slaves in three ways: Pop Growth, occupying cities in a war and slave raids. Pop growth is gonna happens on its own and you mostly don't need to pay attention to it, Sieging down cities in war will turn a certain number of pops (based on city size) into slave and ship them off either to your capital or another nearby city you own (the game does this on its own so you don't really get to pick where they end up) and Slave raids are an action you get from certain cultural traditions and can do with your ships where you raid an adjacent coastline for slave pops and it will piss off whoever's coast you are raiding

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
And I suppose tribes are the punching bags of everyone?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Depends on the tribe, some of the Steppe tribes can be pretty nasty.

Really the downside to being a tribe is that your tribesman pops dont generate research other than than you can make it work for a while

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I downloaded this again for the free week, and what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing? I've got almost 3000 hours on EU4 but this game feels insanely overwhelming. And not in a good way.

e: like in EU4 it's pretty easy for me to see how well my country is going, but in Rome it's just loving numbers everywhere and I have no idea which ones are actually important.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I downloaded this again for the free week, and what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing? I've got almost 3000 hours on EU4 but this game feels insanely overwhelming. And not in a good way.

Paint the map your colour, same as it ever was.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fister Roboto posted:

e: like in EU4 it's pretty easy for me to see how well my country is going, but in Rome it's just loving numbers everywhere and I have no idea which ones are actually important.

Play a small country and take some deep breaths. I recommend Epirus, given that you start with a god tier leader and a good military holy site

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I tried the free Steam trial and it looks like the game doesn't run well on laptops with integrated graphics cards or laptop-sized screens. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
My problem is that while I think I know how to paint the map, I'm not sure if I'm doing it well or how to use the various systems in place to accomplish it. Been playing as Pontus and in my two starts the game says my leader has a spouse, but going to her character sheet, she's married to someone else which is hilarious but also a bug I think?