Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Huh... I'd love to see a version of Blade with the digital effects brought up to a modern standard.
boy do I have great news for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

While I am highly excited about this news I also would enjoy the awful looking scene where blood holds Deacon Frost's body together to just look a smidge less rear end.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It being in the MCU probably means no R rating I guess. I guess that’s the price you pay when you definitely need your vampire stabber to hang out with spiderman.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Revive the Knights imprint and release it as a hard R like the amazing Punisher War Zone you cowards

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Can someone point me towards a legit good Hammer horror movie? I've been very bored by Vampire Lovers, Vampire Circus and Satanic Rites of Dracula, but I greatly enjoyed Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires and Captain Kronos:Vampire Hunter but I wouldn't call them "good good".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

But again, I don't really like the whole big blanket over all the Universal films even ones not really connected to each other. So its just more complication. I probably would have gone "The Larry Talbot/Dr. Frankenstein Saga" (as Basebf very cleverly named), Frasier's Mummy alone, and maybe the Dark Universe in its own thing along with like "Universal Mummy", "Universal Invisible Man", "Universal Creature", "Universal Dracula", etc and seen how it shaped out if any of them ranked. But again, I favored some kind of ballots or play in which in that case it would have come down to whether people wanted them in or not.
I'd definitely make it the Larry Talbot/Dr. Frakenstein/Dracula saga. Dracula--albeit lovely Dracula--shows up in House of Frankenstein which is a direct sequel to Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and Lugosi himself shows up in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein opposite Chaney. The big downer of the saga is you never get Lugosi's Dracula and Karloff's Monster on the screen together. But I'd also argue that Lugosi's prevalence over those movies kind of elevated Dracula to being part of the franchise.

I don't think it's really a big deal since the sub-franchises like the Creature films probably wouldn't make it that far on their own, but could probably beat Critters and poo poo. But I think it's fair to say the Universal Horror includes:

Dracula (English and Spanish)
Frankenstein
The Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula's Daughter
Son of Frankenstein
The Wolfman
The Ghost of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
Son of Dracula
The House of Frankenstein
The House of Dracula
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

But yeah the OG Universal Mummies+Fraser Mummies+Dark Universe Mummy as well as the Creature films which would have both eventually fell should have their own entries.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

Can someone point me towards a legit good Hammer horror movie? I've been very bored by Vampire Lovers, Vampire Circus and Satanic Rites of Dracula, but I greatly enjoyed Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires and Captain Kronos:Vampire Hunter but I wouldn't call them "good good".

You need to see the OG stuff from the first round of films they did starting in 1957 with The Curse of Frankenstein, then Horror of Dracula in 58 and The Mummy in 59.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drunkboxer posted:

It being in the MCU probably means no R rating I guess. I guess that’s the price you pay when you definitely need your vampire stabber to hang out with spiderman.

They said they were going to make it R when it was announced, but every other interesting statement during that event has since been rolled back so I'm not holding my breath. Feige and the money men are clearly not on the same page about this phase.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'd definitely make it the Larry Talbot/Dr. Frakenstein/Dracula saga. I think it's fair to say the Universal Horror includes:

Dracula (English and Spanish)
Frankenstein
The Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula's Daughter
Son of Frankenstein
The Wolfman
The Ghost of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
Son of Dracula
The House of Frankenstein
The House of Dracula
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.
It is thus!

By royal decree, these are the "universal monster" films that may be considered

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Basebf555 posted:

You need to see the OG stuff from the first round of films they did starting in 1957 with The Curse of Frankenstein, then Horror of Dracula in 58 and The Mummy in 59.

All of these plus The Devil Rides Out are some good Hammer movies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it’s the opposite of the hatchet movies. 3rd is the only bad one lol.
Except there is a fourth one that I watched half of. Cool that it was shot in secret in 11 days but ehh.

Wait, there's a 4th Blade film? Are we talking about the Sticky Fingaz series? Or are we talking about Hatchet?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, there's a 4th Blade film? Are we talking about the Sticky Fingaz series? Or are we talking about Hatchet?

There's a Blade TV Series and its actually not terrible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's Sticky Fingaz.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Watch the Frankenstwin films with Cushing as the best Doctor Frankie on screen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tough pairups, but I'm gonna have to give Candyman an edge here because there's little in the way of African American representation in horror.

Overall I think I'm going towards films that had an impact on the genre vs being a good film/series. NoES had some really inventive visuals and turned to comedy faster than most of the other longrunning series that became farcical.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 5, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

It is thus!

By royal decree, these are the "universal monster" films that may be considered
Woo! Now I'm just going to nail this petition to get that Monster Squad image changed on the cathedral door.

Thanks for doing this by the way! I'm a teacher in NYC and things are crazy right now. So this stuff is a fun distraction.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Woo! Now I'm just going to nail this petition to get that Monster Squad image changed on the cathedral door.

But then I have to think things through rather than just snap voting against it, Monster Squad is a valuable public service.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Frankenstein Created Woman has some proto-slasher stuff going on, some business about soul transference, and Peter Cushing being a catty bitch to everyone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timeless Appeal posted:

New representative image, picture of Larry Talbot being sad.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Someone sell me on the original Universal monster movies. I've actually never seen them (or at least not in their entirety, I'm sure I've picked up scenes here and there and they obviously have a large cultural osmosis effect going on). Do they still have any sort of impact today, or is it basically a case where they're classics so people are really valuing them for their historical import? A lot of movies I've seen from that period just have not aged well to me, even compared with some things that aren't that much more modern like a lot of Hitchcock stuff.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just watched Frankenstein the other day and it was still dope as hell

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah Frankenstein and Bride totally hold up. Dracula's got some flaws, it's directed kind of like a stage play, but Bela more than makes up for it. Creature from the Black Lagoon is pretty dope.

The rest of 'em aren't all bad but they definitely suffer from old-movie-itis more.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Dracula's got some flaws, it's directed kind of like a stage play, but Bela more than makes up for it.
I love the little tidbit that Lugosi was an arrogant Hungarian rear end in a top hat who refused to learn English so he learned his lines phonetically. It's probably why his Dracula is so otherworldly, he literally did not know or care how to emphasize any line of dialogue "properly"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

alansmithee posted:

Someone sell me on the original Universal monster movies. I've actually never seen them (or at least not in their entirety, I'm sure I've picked up scenes here and there and they obviously have a large cultural osmosis effect going on). Do they still have any sort of impact today, or is it basically a case where they're classics so people are really valuing them for their historical import? A lot of movies I've seen from that period just have not aged well to me, even compared with some things that aren't that much more modern like a lot of Hitchcock stuff.

I’ll probably get hanged for this but I think Frankenstein is borderline too early. It’s still good, but everything feels very strange from a modern perspective. Bride, on the other hand, is only 4 years later but it’s a massive improvement in, like, everything. They manage to use the sets better, the lighting is an order of magnitude better, there’s some crazy camera angles, better pacing, etc. I was blown away when I found out both movies had the same budget, because Bride looks so much more lush and filled out.

I really like The Invisible Man too; I think I had read the story before I saw it the first time and was pleasantly surprised that the scope is a bit bigger.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Frankenstein and Bride are really stunning to look at and really what makes the Universal Monsters such hot competition. Karloff gives a genuinely haunting performance, but the queerness of the films also makes them super relevant. Bride is often shout out as the queerer of the films with its proto-camp, but OG Frankenstein is the story of a man who REALLY doesn't want to get married, being forced into marriage, and to abandon his "unnatural" activities. You should definitely watch those.

Dracula isn't as good. I agree with Lurdiak that it's very play like--I'd actually argue that Frankenstein is too at times, but borrows from German aesthetics that make it look more striking--but Lugosi is the star of the film. Freddy might be the greatest horror villain, but I'd argue that Lugosi's Dracula is the most influential. Do you get Hannibal Lecter without his Dracula? Darth Vader? Hans Gruber? So many Bond villains? There are other proto-supervillains, but often depicted as gross racial stereotyped goblins like Fun Manchu. But Lugosi's Dracula is sexy, he's funny, magnetic, and authoritative. Lugosi's performance left a lasting impression on cinema that really can't be overlooked.

The rest of the movies are fine. Wolfman's a decent potboiler with decent special effects. None of the Dracula sequels are that good. The Frankenstein movies after Bride are all B movies including the crossovers like House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula. House of Frankenstein is probably the better of the lot and does a decent job at being the sort of finale for the series despite the other movies that would follow. There is a good closure to the characters.

I think that doesn't really do a good job at selling Universal Monsters as the clear winner of this competition because it means that--of the movies we're apparently dealing with--Three are really good with the rest being decent to kinda bad. That's not too dissimilar to Halloween or Romero Zombies' track record.

But I think that there is another important part of this that really shows the influence of Universal Monsters: Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. It's a funny movie and very well-made, but I think it defines something about horror: It's malleable. Frankenstein started as this beautiful, subversive character study and one of the greatest movies ever made... it went on to star in B-movie matinee silliness that appealed to children... and then when to outright comedy. And the thing if that it all worked. The Universal Horror movies previewed how horror was a special genre. It could be classy and thoughtful or mindless or downright silly and it all works.

So like, they are really important. I think they're similar to kaiju movies or slashers where once you get into the swing of things, you get engaged, and even the lesser stuff is watchable and enjoyable on some level. But they're slow and often more gothic than scary. Try to watch Frankenstein and Bride. If you like them then you might as well watch Dracula and Wolfman. If you leave Wolfman being mostly bored--which ya know, fair--you're good to bail on the rest.

Invisible Man is worth going back to though because it's a hoot and if you have fondness for 50s B-Movies, checkout the Creature films.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 5, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Frankenstein is good but its definitely flawed in a lot of obvious ways and none of the scares live up to modern standards. Like even just awkward shots and cuts. Bride is just a much better package that holds up much better from people who had a better handle on what they were doing. It also has more of a blend of comedy and drama so its not as dependent on being scared by things people found scary 100 years ago. Its just a more much more complete film.

Invisible Man and Creature are also both films I think that hold up completely as great movies today, but neither is part of the "Talbot Saga" here. You should see them if you haven't because they're great films, but they don't factor into the entry.

For the entry I'd say Bride is stellar, Frankenstein is good with an icon performance, and Bela Lugosi IS Dracula. Dracula also has some pretty amazing performances from the support cast, Spanish Dracula has a great performance from the female lead and some revolutionary film making, and when the crossover films aren't great they're kind of groundbreaking in that they try and hold the characters and story together while doing the "cinematic universe" nearly 100 years before everyone else. I also really like Lon Chaney Jr's Talbot. He's just so sad.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

david_a posted:

I’ll probably get hanged for this but I think Frankenstein is borderline too early. It’s still good, but everything feels very strange from a modern perspective. Bride, on the other hand, is only 4 years later but it’s a massive improvement in, like, everything.
There was a lot of literal technology evolution at the time. The move from Kleig lights to more advanced, less damaging lights that let them shoot at smaller apertures giving them more control over the focus, the literal lens-grinding tools available, it was a wild time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Frankenstein is good but its definitely flawed in a lot of obvious ways and none of the scares live up to modern standards.
I feel like there is a sense of existential dread that I think holds up. But yeah, the transitions between scenes aren't smooth.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like there is a sense of existential dread that I think holds up. But yeah, the transitions between scenes aren't smooth.

I think that's there but there's some pacing and filmmaking issues that take away. Its not a knock on the film or its filmmakers. Its just the transition out of silent films and into talkies and the advance of technology and development of the talent. You can't expect people to start doing something no one's ever done before with equipment no one's ever used before and hit home runs.

But again, Frankenstein is still a VERY good film as is Dracula. I just think for people hesitant to dive into that stuff and worried it won't hold up (me being one of those people until very recently) its important to note that the quality improves really dramatically, really quickly. You should watch Dracula and Frankenstein and you should watch Frankenstein before you watch Bride. But if you're hesitant or have troubles you should watch Invisible Man or Creature and see how completely the films got as proof of concept and then go back when maybe you'll have more faith that you're watching things that are good and not just "notable."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

alansmithee posted:

Do they still have any sort of impact today, or is it basically a case where they're classics so people are really valuing them for their historical import?
Ever notice how the vast majority of our conceptions of those monsters are derived from the Universal line?

I'm talking Vaguely European Widow's Peak Drac, Mummy-wrap Invisible Man, Bolt-necked flattop-with-scars Frankenstein? How we don't think of Count Orlok or the Modern Prometheus creation

Those films etched the very design of those monsters into the American psyche.

They're historically valuable as well. The makeup design on the original Frankenstein was loving solid... and it unfortunately got less refined over the years since the headcap on Karloff resulted in a lake of sweat piling up on his head. And Invisible Man developed a lot of cool techniques to get the invisibility effect to work, and probably helped when Wolfman did the gradual change thing from man to beast.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Sorry, y'all need to have another look at the awkwardly white washed Candyman sequels; they're loving abysmal.

https://twitter.com/RobbJayne/status/1198730657817645059

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

How we don't think of Count Orlok
Wait, wait, wait. Back up.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Back up.
Orlok's look is iconic and influential, but it's not the popular understanding of a vampire like Lugosi's Dracula is.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

alansmithee posted:

If you just generally don't like old movies from that era, then these probably aren't for you either, BUT the movies have a ton of atmosphere and some incredible performances and they really sell the horrific in a subtle way that modern movies tend not to. They didn't have the special effects, or gore, or even the sophisticated gear that later movies could rely on to build suspense, so its very interesting to see them do it with these static shots and just genuinely great acting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

I love the little tidbit that Lugosi was an arrogant Hungarian rear end in a top hat who refused to learn English so he learned his lines phonetically. It's probably why his Dracula is so otherworldly, he literally did not know or care how to emphasize any line of dialogue "properly"

Personally I think the fact they were filming a spanish version of the film simultaneously using the same sets and costumes is much more interesting. And frustratingly, it's significantly better directed and acted EXCEPT the guy playing Dracula is nowhere near as good as Bela.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the English Van Helsing and Renfield blew away their Spanish counterparts and the Spanish Dracula came off very goofy to me but that could have just been because he wasn't Bela Lugosi. But Lupita Tovar was amazing as Eva/Mina and just made such a completely different and greater character in the role than the English version.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

Sorry, y'all need to have another look at the awkwardly white washed Candyman sequels; they're loving abysmal.

https://twitter.com/RobbJayne/status/1198730657817645059

Yeah after watching (rewatching?) 2 and 3 I'm going with The Grudge. It's not terrible in 2 I guess but in 3 it's too much. Why did they go that direction when there was so many other directions to go? I think it's even a mistake make it about his biological descendants anyway, it distracts from the ubran legend stuff that made it interesting in the first place. Nothing against Tony Todd though, he still kills it.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Unfortunately, the new Candyman has been pushed back so no one can really say for sure how that would impact the vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My defense of the Candyman sequels:

Ok, the idea of making a bunch of pretty white women Candyman's granddaughters is sketchy as hell but the second film at least hints at the idea that her family has kept it a secret because they're racist and that her mom reacts terribly to the accusation. The racial stuff isn't nearly as well done in 2 as it is in the original but I think its still there. And the story was always that Candyman was killed for hooking up with a white lady so its not like it came out of nowhere. In 3 the racial aspects of that are gone but they kind of try and replace it with racism against hispanics and police corruption, which is weird and kind of way outside the original idea of Candyman but I'm not sure its a bad thing on its own.

The thing I did kind of like is that both sequels keep up the idea that Candyman is this urban legend/monster that spreads through minority majority communities ignored by well off white communities. 3 is garbage handling it because the pretty Baywatch white woman is the white savior and all that bad stuff but 2 isn't that bad about. 3's just a bad film. But I like the way that it takes the Candyman legend from Chicago with an African American community to New Orleans with a "creole" community and then to LA with a hispanic community. To me that at least keeps up the core theme of Candyman and the uniqueness of horror that's about POC and not just stupid white teenagers.

The one thing 3 does well is really GETTING Candyman though and making him real eery and ghostly. That's the strength of the sequels. Tony Todd is great and Candyman is a great ghostly monster. It gets iffy in the last act of 2 but he's a cool floating manipulating monster ghost in 3. Even if he's in a really bad movie.

So like... 2 and 3 aren't good films. 3 is real bad. But I think Tony Todd, Candyman, and the core concepts that make Candyman unique and fun manage to carry through.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I have a vivid memory seeing The Conjuring in theatres. Not from actually watching it, but on the drive home it suddenly started downpouring to near zero-visibility and I had to decide if I wanted to keep driving and hope nobody crashes into me or try to pull over and hope nobody crashes into me. I ended up fine because it cleared bizarrely quickly but I'll always remember the irony of that experience being far scarier than the actual movie.

Anyways I voted for Jeepers Creepers :lol: