Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Jack Trades posted:

My friend couldn't get Laser Sight work at the same time as the flashlight either and he's got a Vive, I've got a Rift CV1 and I've tried changing all the graphics setting with no results.
Maybe they only let Index users have more than one spotlight in the game at the same time but I doubt that, it would be even stupider.

I know for sure that it's a 1 spotlight on screen at a time issue because if you put the flashlight all the way behind your back and shine it away from you, the laser sight comes back, likely because of culling.

For what it's worth I have a CV1 and my sights, lasers, and flashlight all worked without issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Breakfast All Day posted:

I also didn't realize the blatant foreshadowing of the train lever scene until now: you create a fork in the path/timeline to save your father, and it kills (in the traincar) an advisor.

:aaa:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My interview about Alyx with Robin Walker and Jane Ng finally went live.

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/behind-scenes-half-life-alyx-valve-revived-classic-franchise-vr-era/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Claes Oldenburger posted:

For what it's worth I have a CV1 and my sights, lasers, and flashlight all worked without issues.

Same here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I didn't notice any particular change through the game. I feel like we're still at the point in VR software where a random update at any level has a notable chance of just borking stuff.

I've seen a few people say that the second half of the game ran worse for them. I didn't get any updates since starting and while the first few chapters ran great for me on Medium with High textures, starting from around Northern Star I started experiencing occasional stutters and even crashes. I dunno, maybe the levels are bigger?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My gun jammed in a firefight and I died!
:saddowns:

(Actually my controller ran outta battery juice...)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

My gun jammed in a firefight and I died!
:saddowns:

(Actually my controller ran outta battery juice...)

That's more equivalent to Alyx's hand falling off. hosed up.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I don’t have VR capability or a computer that could run that stuff,i’ve only ever played half life 2.
With that said i watched Vinesauces playthrough and was riveted from start to finish,that ending was brilliant.

I have questions though,who exactly was the scavenger guy during the Jeff segments? Just a minor new character?

And was anyone else expecting a poo poo ending where the Combine’s most feared object was the crowbar or barney or something?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm surprised so many people in here thought that cheap time travel retcon of the Episode 2 ending was "brilliant". Seemed more terrible to me, but the story isn't the main draw of any Half-Life game, anyways.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
On the other hand I'm not surprised that people don't understand how to not post unmarked spoilers

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I liked the ending, I can't think of a better way they could've wrapped up a prequel while hinting that the mainline story is gonna keep going. It worked for me. I'm curious if people who watched the game versus played it have different feelings about the ending... I felt a strong sense of presence and attachment to the story & characters (including myself as Alyx) and I think VR played no small part in that.

Also use spoiler tags.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The only thing here that I haven't seen discussed is how to deal with terror. I, personally, am not too good at vicious thing throwing itself in your face or creepy thing thing attacking your leg. Not to mention Jeff. Here is what helps:
1. let yourself die a couple of times, desensitise yourself to the experience
2. game is actually good, carefully curated. First flashlight thing in the dark is very short and you get sunlight soon to restore sanity
3. set up play area borders to visible, loved one talk to you, at least TV talking about normal things so you will be less immersed

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Breakfast All Day posted:

I also didn't realize the blatant foreshadowing of the train lever scene until now: you create a fork in the path/timeline to save your father, and it kills (in the traincar) an advisor.

Woah poo poo

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hopefully someone can help, I can't figure out how to reset my play area in Steam VR. I'm using an OG Oculus Rift and when I Google this poo poo, I see things like "click the three lines icon in SteamVR and then room setup", which is not an option I can see anywhere. I'd like to play this game seated and I can't figure out how to change these settings.

In a more positive note, I played the first 10 or so minutes standing, and it's loving awesome! I can play at 1.5x resolution with High graphics fidelity, and the game looks quite good and sharp.

Edit: I think I got it working. Had to reset my play area on Oculus Home and then change my Alyx->accessibility option from whatever it was to "standing" which, paradoxically, is the setting "best for seated mode". Jesus that was really obtuse. Ah well! Definitely worth it so far.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 5, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

This is great, thanks. Really hoping they stick together enough for HL:3 to get off the ground and become self-sustaining like Alyx did. Especially considering how Alyx is basically HL3 CONFIRMED: The Game

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Thanks! Really great reading their thought process behind some decisions. I'm sure it's a common sentiment but I've always felt that the lack of any sort of shareholders has by far made the games better, but the wait times much, much longer.

chaosapiant posted:

Hopefully someone can help, I can't figure out how to reset my play area in Steam VR. I'm using an OG Oculus Rift and when I Google this poo poo, I see things like "click the three lines icon in SteamVR and then room setup", which is not an option I can see anywhere. I'd like to play this game seated and I can't figure out how to change these settings.

In a more positive note, I played the first 10 or so minutes standing, and it's loving awesome! I can play at 1.5x resolution with High graphics fidelity, and the game looks quite good and sharp.

I just set my play area in the rift software and that seemed fine?

EDIT:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Really hoping they stick together enough for HL:3 to get off the ground and become self-sustaining like Alyx did. Especially considering how Alyx is basically HL3 CONFIRMED: The Game

Absolutely, hoping this happens as well.

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 5, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Stupid loving YouTube, I was trying to stream Alyx, UNLISTED, to my friends, and the auto-inappropriate-content filter thing took down multiple streams in a row.

I guess there's a disclaimer that because of Covid they have less actual humans looking at things and have cranked up the robots to terminate streams with extreme prejudice.

Is there any other service I can stream to that's unlisted?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Me and my friends use Discord. It's pretty drat good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how well/if it works with a VR game, but you can stream to your friends in Steam and in Discord.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

If you have Discord, just use that.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Stupid loving YouTube, I was trying to stream Alyx, UNLISTED, to my friends, and the auto-inappropriate-content filter thing took down multiple streams in a row.

I guess there's a disclaimer that because of Covid they have less actual humans looking at things and have cranked up the robots to terminate streams with extreme prejudice.

Steam?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Just played through Black Mesa and it is really good - I would argue it's one of those rare remakes that is better than the original. It's more than just prettying up the graphics with modern techniques - they go further with world-building to tell a better story than the original game.

For example, the Xen levels are gorgeous but they also provide more background on Xen creatures. For example, you travel through the dwellings of the Vortigaunts. They are surprisingly docile to the player after you've just been fighting them the whole game, and actually help you get through certain areas. They only become aggressive when being mind-controlled by an Alien Controller. You realize they're basically slaves that are forced to become aggressive - a connection I definitely did not make playing through the original game (but is made explicit in HL2), where they're more like dumb cannon fodder.

I never played Half-Life multiplayer before either, and Black Mesa's multiplayer is actually pretty fun despite a small playerbase.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 5, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lambert posted:

I'm surprised so many people in here thought that cheap time travel retcon of the Episode 2 ending was "brilliant". Seemed more terrible to me, but the story isn't the main draw of any Half-Life game, anyways.

It's a mix of VR fans creaming their pants they finally have a game and the difficulties of keeping continuity straight after 12 years of inactivity.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Great interview!

This part slayed me:

quote:

I remember one of the more entertaining bugs was one where one of the players on the team was complaining. “Is anyone else having the problem where they just keep dying for no reason at all? Like I’m just standing there and I die.” Everyone else was saying that they didn’t have any problems.

We dug into it, and realized that he was so tall that the distance check that the game was doing, to see if players were falling to their death, was triggering all the time. His perspective was so far off the ground that the game basically thought he was falling all the time and he’d die from impact. So many little things.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Love hearing stuff about various bugs like that

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Just played through Black Mesa and it is really good - I would argue it's one of those rare remakes that is better than the original. It's more than just prettying up the graphics with modern techniques - they go further with world-building to tell a better story than the original game.

For example, the Xen levels are gorgeous but they also provide more background on Xen creatures. For example, you travel through the dwellings of the Vortigaunts. They are surprisingly docile to the player after you've just been fighting them the whole game, and actually help you get through certain areas. They only become aggressive when being mind-controlled by an Alien Controller. You realize they're basically slaves that are forced to become aggressive - a connection I definitely did not make playing through the original game (but is made explicit in HL2), where they're more like dumb cannon fodder.

I never played Half-Life multiplayer before either, and Black Mesa's multiplayer is actually pretty fun despite a small playerbase.

I vehemently disagree. The difficulty is all over the place, the KI is weirdly accurate with not enough cover to go around. This means you have to cheese some sections, like the Ninja warehouse. This wasn't the case in the original. And Xen is about an hour in HL1, but in Black Mesa this becomes about five hours of terrible Metroidvania x Doom gameplay.

I really don't get why they cut some sections of Surface Tension and On a Rail just to expand Xen so incompetently.

HL1 is still brilliant, Black Mesa not so much.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I agree with W Z, Black Mesa is a loving masterpiece. A section being longer or shorter does not make it inherently bad or worse. Just different. Xen is gorgeous and beautiful and does a great job telling environmental story.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That wasn't my argument, though. Xen is super long and mostly terrible (except for the beginning parts), that's the issue. It's way too long and drags Black Mesa down significantly. Other parts have issues as well, but none as severe as Xen.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"You must go through the portal and kill whatever's holding the rift open."
"I mean, I could, but there's this sweet Black Mesa lab, Citadel Core reenactment, vort ghetto and garg nest I wanna check out first. Ooh, and gotta fix the plumbing and electrical grid of the Grunt Factory. Also a giant tree I gotta Kingndom Hearts III my way up, down, and around."

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Vinylshadow posted:

"You must go through the portal and kill whatever's holding the rift open."
"I mean, I could, but there's this sweet Black Mesa lab, Citadel Core reenactment, vort ghetto and garg nest I wanna check out first. Ooh, and gotta fix the plumbing and electrical grid of the Grunt Factory. Also a giant tree I gotta Kingndom Hearts III my way up, down, and around."

I thought it was pretty clear that they could only teleport you to where other Black Mesa people had set up outposts. You were expected to find out where to go once you were on the other side.

I thought Xen was pretty good. The inside of the factory could have been cut in half though

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lambert posted:

That wasn't my argument, though. Xen is super long and mostly terrible (except for the beginning parts), that's the issue. It's way too long and drags Black Mesa down significantly. Other parts have issues as well, but none as severe as Xen.

This is true in the sense that it's a very valid opinion to have, but it's just one I don't share. I think Half-Life is fantastic, and Black Mesa is also fantastic. I'd personally love to see Op For and Blue Shift given the Crowbar Collective treatment as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

chaosapiant posted:

This is true in the sense that it's a very valid opinion to have, but it's just one I don't share. I think Half-Life is fantastic, and Black Mesa is also fantastic. I'd personally love to see Op For and Blue Shift given the Crowbar Collective treatment as well.

Man yeah, Opposing Forces would be killer with the Black Mesa treatment.
I've already said it but I also thought Black Mesa was a fantastic experience, especially Xen. I also expected it to be exactly like it was, not a 1:1 remake of Half-Life but a sort of light remix of it.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
The artists for Black Mesa did an incredible job with Xen. Arriving there and soaking in the visuals was honestly one of the most magical gaming moments I've had in years. Goddamn

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Xen in black mesa is gorgeous but suffers from severe lack of editing. Many sections and setpieces are overextended and repetitive; some make little sense in context, and several (such as the garg chase) work well when they work properly, and become chaotic messes as soon as something misfires or the player takes an unexpected action. Gonarch's Lair is the worst offender- strings of semi-functional scripted combat sequences and completely unrelated interstitial setpieces, many of which have conveyance problems.

A major issue is that Xen has to teach the player a new visual vocabulary- but because so many different setpieces and concepts are introduced and dropped, the player is made to go through many, many, many more iterations of teaching and mastery demonstration that don't get brought back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a mod to play Black Mesa with the Kelly Bailey soundtrack? That's kind of my dealbreaker. When I played the original Black Mesa mod the music really pulled me out of it and reminded me it was a fan project

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Discendo Vox posted:

Xen in black mesa is gorgeous but suffers from severe lack of editing. Many sections and setpieces are overextended and repetitive; some make little sense in context, and several (such as the garg chase) work well when they work properly, and become chaotic messes as soon as something misfires or the player takes an unexpected action. Gonarch's Lair is the worst offender- strings of semi-functional scripted combat sequences and completely unrelated interstitial setpieces, many of which have conveyance problems.

A major issue is that Xen has to teach the player a new visual vocabulary- but because so many different setpieces and concepts are introduced and dropped, the player is made to go through many, many, many more iterations of teaching and mastery demonstration that don't get brought back.

I think one reason I like Xen so much, especially the factory, is that it reminds me of the creepy architecture in an old N64 game called "Shadow Man".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't like Xen when I first played half life, and it makes me feel like I won't like it in Black Mesa. I don't like when a game spends a bunch of time introducing a mechanic and then never using it ever again. But I was also a kid when I played HL the first time, so I wasn't really following the story. So I was pretty annoyed when the setting changes to an alien world and I'm not shooting grunts anymore. But I also didn't like when Crysis changed from fighting soldiers to the dumb aliens. I guess I just don't like when a game turns into a different game halfway through.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cojawfee posted:

I didn't like Xen when I first played half life, and it makes me feel like I won't like it in Black Mesa. I don't like when a game spends a bunch of time introducing a mechanic and then never using it ever again. But I was also a kid when I played HL the first time, so I wasn't really following the story. So I was pretty annoyed when the setting changes to an alien world and I'm not shooting grunts anymore. But I also didn't like when Crysis changed from fighting soldiers to the dumb aliens. I guess I just don't like when a game turns into a different game halfway through.

Pretty much everyone hated Xen, and most of the Black Mesa reviews I've seen focus on the idea that Xen went from being the worst part of the game to the best part.

Personally, and I know I'm in a hilariously tiny minority here, I didn't like Half-Life 1. I bought it when it first came out and I took advantage of the policy they had at the time where you could get a refund if you sent them a letter explaining why you didn't like the game. I sent like a three page letter outlining everything I didn't like about the game.

Funnily enough, Half-Life 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I've been wondering if I might like Black Mesa since it apparently brings HL1 more in line with HL2.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tip posted:

Funnily enough, Half-Life 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I've been wondering if I might like Black Mesa since it apparently brings HL1 more in line with HL2.

It's a good remake but it still feels recognizably like HL1, even as a fan I still like HL2 way better. Definitely give it a try if you get a chance, but I wouldn't expect it to jump ahead in your ranking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's definitely tricky to play Black Mesa now because it is definitely still a game from 20 years ago, and I'm trying to use tactics I've learned from playing modern shooters.