Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
There are no words glorious enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It turns out the remake is actually a video game at the Golden Saucer and you, the player, are playing the role of a child playing that video game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

holy poo poo :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So. Thinking on it, the Remake has done something kinda genius regarding Sephiroth. The mystery of Sephiroth was dead. Every one knew it, there was nothing to speculate or think over anymore. The new Sephiroth has a mystery again. Is he from the future? Does he just have memories? Is he even Sephiroth or another Jenova? Jenova Dreamweaver, the new form, can induce hallucinations. The mystery is remade.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

People who call this game a failure already are insane :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

canepazzo posted:

People who call this game a failure already are insane :allears:

Already know people were pissed off on it not just being a seedy gently caress club.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I do kind of get it though. Giving the slums something so... not high class but high quality, I guess, sort of ruins the whole atmosphere of the slums being, well, slums. Not that Aeris's inexlipcably flower-power house wasn't utterly out of place even in the normal game...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

McTimmy posted:

I do kind of get it though. Giving the slums something so... not high class but high quality, I guess, sort of ruins the whole atmosphere of the slums being, well, slums. Not that Aeris's inexlipcably flower-power house wasn't utterly out of place even in the normal game...

they made wall market into kamurocho it's still plenty seedy

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The best part about it - and there are many great parts here - is how excited Aerith gets about the whole thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

they made wall market into kamurocho it's still plenty seedy

I was going to say. Wall Market now just looks like Purgatory or Kamurocho or any other seedy pleasure district.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wall market looks amazing. Move the camera aroud and walk about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm sorta surprised, looking at Reddit and YouTube comments, how many people seem to be on board for things to be changed. Like nobody's freaking out about the obvious huge changes shown in the final trailer, and the majority of the comments in the Reddit spoiler thread seem more curious than anything (though there's no shortage of "ruined forever" people).

Maybe FF7 fans are more open to weirdness than I thought.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'm sorta surprised, looking at Reddit and YouTube comments, how many people seem to be on board for things to be changed. Like nobody's freaking out about the obvious huge changes shown in the final trailer, and the majority of the comments in the Reddit spoiler thread seem more curious than anything (though there's no shortage of "ruined forever" people).

Maybe FF7 fans are more open to weirdness than I thought.

I had a friend who basically became relieved after seeing that it wasn't just a remake, because in their mind, if it's meant to be a replacement for the original, then every change becomes an effort of analyzing everything and scrutinizing it, and wondering if it's "better or worse". But the way it is now, this is its own thing, it doesn't 'invalidate' the original game, like some feared.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m actually pleasantly shocked by the mostly positive reaction to the changes. Then again, the original FFVII was weird as poo poo - it’s no surprise SE would want to recreate that first-time experience for new and old fans alike.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've definitely come around to it, especially if speculation is right that the same overall plot beats will happen but with some new twists, turns, and weirdness along the way, maybe even with different characters filling different roles. Obviously things need to go roughly the same way as they did in the original or the Planet's doomed and I sorta doubt Square would go all-in on a no-hope bad ending for the whole thing, but it's going to be a struggle to get there as Sephiroth (or maybe Jenova? or both?) tries to change the course of events.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Blattdorf posted:

The best part about it - and there are many great parts here - is how excited Aerith gets about the whole thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I've definitely come around to it, especially if speculation is right that the same overall plot beats will happen but with some new twists, turns, and weirdness along the way, maybe even with different characters filling different roles. Obviously things need to go roughly the same way as they did in the original or the Planet's doomed and I sorta doubt Square would go all-in on a no-hope bad ending for the whole thing, but it's going to be a struggle to get there as Sephiroth (or maybe Jenova? or both?) tries to change the course of events.

I agree with this. I really think almost all of the major plot beats will be there, unchanged. Just how we get to them might be switched around.

Also, I suspect they might be straight up ignoring the Compilation, and instead cherry picking what worked from it and integrating it into the main story. For example I don’t think Zack is alive. I think they wanted to keep the last big stand from CC, AND have Zack get killed by a few grunts later, even if they don’t show it this time around. That way, old players can acknowledge that the Zack plot is being hinted at earlier in the story, and new players can have a “who’s this guy?” moment and be mind blown when they find out the Cloud/Zack personality shenanigans. Why Zack saw the Midgar explosion is a total mystery to me though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The audible panting that Aerith does when Cloud is getting dressed up in his EGL outfit is probably the thirstiest a Final Fantasy character has ever gotten

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

She knows what she likes and doesn’t have time to waste over it

This is a woman who walks into a bar with her drinks and tip already planned from shot #1 to blacking out

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Black August posted:

She knows what she likes and doesn’t have time to waste over it

This is a woman who walks into a bar with her drinks and tip already planned from shot #1 to blacking out

Goddammit, now I want a scene of Cloud walking into a bar in Costa Del Sol to find Aerith absolutely poo poo faced and completely owning it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Someone mentioned you can save Avalanche. Is that just what happens or can you screw it up? Kinda don't want them to die

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I just saw an endgame clip that shows Wedge alive in Shinra HQ after the Rufus fight when the elevator tank thing attacks Barret, Red and Aeris - but then the timeline fateghosts come and suck him into a black vortex because he's not meant to be alive at this point I guess. :psyduck:

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

VagueRant posted:

I just saw an endgame clip that shows Wedge alive in Shinra HQ after the Rufus fight when the elevator tank thing attacks Barret, Red and Aeris - but then the timeline fateghosts come and suck him into a black vortex because he's not meant to be alive at this point I guess. :psyduck:

:wtc: this is bleak

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I will do everything in my power to make sure Avalanche stays dead. :black101:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Pyrus Malus posted:

:wtc: this is bleak
I saw it without English dub or sub, so I cannot wait to see what Badger from Breaking Bad was saying when ghosts drag him out of a time paradox and into darkness. Just realised how Kingdom Hearts it was, hahaha.

EDIT: Oof, at the end of the highway chase, the party follow Sephiroth through a portal called the crossing of destiny into a version of Midgar that the timeghosts are loving up and you run through generic floating rubble fighting DMC5 reject timeghost monsters over and over for like an hour or two until they fuse into Echo of Bahamut, all the while really loud original orchestral pieces blare endlessly. It's the dullest loving thing I've ever seen.

EDIT2: Biggs is confirmed alive in the ending - and the ending is a bizarre string of disconnected scenes that I previously thought were clips out of context. This entire endgame is truly a mess.

I have no idea what the deal is with Zack.

When Sephiroth is chatting before he opens the portal on the highway, Cloud holds his head flashback style and it cuts to Zack getting ready to fight the Shinra guards on the outskirts. Except Midgar is all swirly (the trailer shot) - and the timeghosts are floating around the Shinra soldiers but them and Zack can't seem to see them. Zack does his little cheesy Crisis Core sword poses and speechifying, he charges and cut back to Aeris, Cloud and crew with Sephiroth on the highway.

Then after the one on one fight with Sephiroth in the nebula dimension thing ("the edge of creation") it just randomly cuts back to Zack having beaten all the Shinra guys and asking after Cloud, then an explosion of light from Midgar knocks him over. (The timeghosts being defeated reverberating through time???)

Then it cuts to characters in the present day (including Biggs waking up) seeing falling bits of light in Midgar. And then it just cuts to the party outside Midgar deciding to go after Sephiroth and Cloud and Aeris sort of each catch a vision of Zack carrying Cloud on that little plateau. Nothing is remarked on. Very weird choices all round!

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 4, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

VagueRant posted:

I saw it without English dub or sub, so I cannot wait to see what Badger from Breaking Bad was saying when ghosts drag him out of a time paradox and into darkness. Just realised how Kingdom Hearts it was, hahaha.

oh god thank you for placing his voice for me

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Onmi posted:

So. Thinking on it, the Remake has done something kinda genius regarding Sephiroth. The mystery of Sephiroth was dead. Every one knew it, there was nothing to speculate or think over anymore. The new Sephiroth has a mystery again. Is he from the future? Does he just have memories? Is he even Sephiroth or another Jenova? Jenova Dreamweaver, the new form, can induce hallucinations. The mystery is remade.

I hope it makes Dissidia of all things canon to this new story and that this new Sephiroth is the result of him getting the ability to see beyond time and space because...I think he took his own life in one of the cycles in the backstory of either the first or second PSP title. And that gave him...some kind of sight-beyond-sight powers I want to say.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh man, there's a loving hilarious moment where Hojo remembers Cloud wasn't a Soldier and says as much, but before he can elaborate and push the issue the Ghosts show up going NO BAD, NOT NOW and carrying him off. It's like... zany!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm really hoping this isn't a time loop thing or an alternate universe. I want this to be the exact same universe but with the twist that Jenova and Sephiroth can somehow use the Lifestream to see lots of potential futures and try to work towards the one they want. It's a simple change that explains a lot and doesn't change their motivations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Onmi posted:

Oh man, there's a loving hilarious moment where Hojo remembers Cloud wasn't a Soldier and says as much, but before he can elaborate and push the issue the Ghosts show up going NO BAD, NOT NOW and carrying him off. It's like... zany!

It wasn't zany.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
A lot of the extra palling around in the slums seems like cute and fun fanservice. It's just all the timeghosts and endgame stuff I assume that really truly sucks.

Also a moment of Cloud drawing the buster sword and getting it caught on a doorframe was good poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Onmi posted:

i am so much more hyped for this game than i was a week ago

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I hope it makes Dissidia of all things canon to this new story and that this new Sephiroth is the result of him getting the ability to see beyond time and space because...I think he took his own life in one of the cycles in the backstory of either the first or second PSP title. And that gave him...some kind of sight-beyond-sight powers I want to say.

Is NT considered canon in the dissidiaverse?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if someone just told Sephiroth that Jenova isn't an ancient and he is just being a loving dumbass all the time? Like, he has a real mom and dad too, it's not like having Jenova cells makes her his mom or anything. Maybe he could even kill Hojo himself! I feel like that would solve a lot of things.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Being told that you are the abomination spawn of a Thing from the Stars is going to mind gently caress you at any age.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

Being told that you are the abomination spawn of a Thing from the Stars is going to mind gently caress you at any age.

I'd be down with that personally. Hojo being my dad however...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if someone just told Sephiroth that Jenova isn't an ancient and he is just being a loving dumbass all the time? Like, he has a real mom and dad too, it's not like having Jenova cells makes her his mom or anything. Maybe he could even kill Hojo himself! I feel like that would solve a lot of things.
Original game implies he learns that when he absorbs the knowledge of the ancients in the Lifestream and decides to just use Meteor to become a god instead like a standard jrpg villain.

The entire plotline with him mistakenly thinking himself and Jenova were ancients is a thin red herring, a temporary motivation for the Nibelheim incident and probably a leftover from when the writers were talking about Aeris being his sister. Might as well cut that because it just adds convolution.

But er now we've got timelines and parallel universes I guess they committed to convolution!

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

The only good part about DoC was that it really hammered home that Vincent is a hopeless simp who got brutally owned by the least sexually appealing human being in the entire game.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

VagueRant posted:

A lot of the extra palling around in the slums seems like cute and fun fanservice. It's just all the timeghosts and endgame stuff I assume that really truly sucks.

Also a moment of Cloud drawing the buster sword and getting it caught on a doorframe was good poo poo.

Nope, nothing about this looks like it sucks and you should realize that nothing matters except having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Smegma Princess X posted:

Nope, nothing about this looks like it sucks and you should realize that nothing matters except having fun.

Seriously. This feels brilliant. The (few) people I’ve seen having legit meltdowns over this elsewhere online...just lmao.