Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Lot of that going round. We've got closed wards where the nurses are meant to keep their face masks on going from patient to patient. if they touch their faces or take the mask off, it goes into the bin and they have to get a new one.

Nobody's stopping them from taking breaks or eating/drinking, there's just a system in place that makes those things very unlikely because of how impractical they become

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

crispix posted:

Have any of yous ever lived in a house with a ghost?!?!? :ghost: :spooky: :ohdear:

My uncle (Yes, that one) had a townhouse in Newtown, Wales while he was MP and I'd swear up and down the attic (converted into a big cool living space where I played a great deal of PSX/PS2 games) had summat spooky livin... uh, inhabiting it. One time it definitely cast an FF-style 'Confuse' spell on me because I was hallucinating mathematics problems that made no sense all over the place. Was chill during the day, at night I was less than welcome.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jabby posted:

Haven't read it, but his piece in the Times doesn't sound too bad.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1246543908642926592

is it just me or does this sound a bit liek "when are people going back to work? dont worry we'll vaccinate you"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

That's crazy. Builders are among the last people I would expect to be dabbling in all paranormal type activities.

Have u heard of the Masons

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

My uncle (Yes, that one) had a townhouse in Newtown, Wales while he was MP and I'd swear up and down the attic (converted into a big cool living space where I played a great deal of PSX/PS2 games) had summat spooky livin... uh, inhabiting it. One time it definitely cast an FF-style 'Confuse' spell on me because I was hallucinating mathematics problems that made no sense all over the place. Was chill during the day, at night I was less than welcome.

I feel like that could also be explained as a gas leak.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sorry to drag up a topic from pages ago now, but I haven’t been on the forum since this afternoon. Re: Keir and the Trans Rights pledge, I can tell you that on the RLB campaign we received a shitload of emails that were basically a few paragraphs of transphobic wittering followed by “...and that’s why I can never vote for someone who signed the Trans Rights pledge to be leader of the Labour Party”. This happened a lot.

Because he didn’t sign that pledge, Keir was 100% the TERFs’ choice for leader. Does anyone seriously think that Keir or his team weren’t aware of that? They clearly explicitly did not sign this pledge that the other two candidates did in order to court a block of awful people to vote for him.

E: In other news I had my state-sanctioned walk around the local park today (it was pretty much as crowded as it could be with everyone social distancing), and I notice that the tennis courts had been bulldozed. I’m fairly sure they’re going to build a temporary morgue there.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 5, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How do you... bulldoze a tennis court?

Isn't it already flat?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

How can these massive cunts expect anything in return? Aside from possibly a kick in the nuts?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Breaking: hand wringing neolibs in the parliamentary Labour Party have run the numbers through the algorithm and have found that the highest number of votes can be achieved by killing 21% of the poor, cutting benefits by 3% and increasing the bombing of terrorists 27%, so that’s what they’re gonna force kier to run with. Labours bringing the election back bois!

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 5, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Never accused anyone of voting for him, but this thread hiveminded nastily against any idea of respecting the referendum result so how is this not the exact result you wanted? Awsome lefty manifesto + respecting the referendum = historically unprecedented swing to the good, Awesome lefty manifesto + making GBS threads on the referendum result= getting historically owned.

Nah, as long as the Brexit thing is what things where hanging on Labour was hosed either way as long as they didn't lay the groundwork with one or the other constituency. The sad truth is that Labour needed both leave and remain voters to win and by sitting between two chairs didn't really get much of either.

[edit] I should say that if Labour turn into the UK equivalent of the Dems then blergh.

It's also disheartening to see that it looks like it might very well lead to a revolution since the system certainly isn't showing any capability of reforming itself...

Munin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 5, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Vitamin P posted:

Awsome lefty manifesto + respecting the referendum = historically unprecedented swing to the good, Awesome lefty manifesto + making GBS threads on the referendum result= getting historically owned.

LOL. It boggles my mind that anyone can think it would have been this simple. Your either very naive or loving stupid.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ms Adequate posted:

lembit oOooOOOOoooOopik

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

is it just me or does this sound a bit liek "when are people going back to work? dont worry we'll vaccinate you"

Seems fairly sensible to me. Lots of people have been asking for the exit strategy from lockdown because it's clear there isn't one.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Imo lexit was the only sensible position for labour to take, too many of their core voter base voter leave and now by all accounts they’re not getting those voters back.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Algol Star posted:

Seems fairly sensible to me. Lots of people have been asking for the exit strategy from lockdown because it's clear there isn't one.

TBF there shouldn't be one yet because China seems to show that it comes rushing back quicker than expected when you start to relax restrictions, so even a competent administration would be waiting to see what happens in Italy, Spain and France before deciding what to do.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Drone_Fragger posted:

Imo lexit was the only sensible position for labour to take, too many of their core voter base voter leave and now by all accounts they’re not getting those voters back.

What do you base that on?

imo almost anybody willing to switch from voting Labour to Tory over Brexit can be brought back to Labour

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

What do you base that on?

imo almost anybody willing to switch from voting Labour to Tory over Brexit can be brought back to Labour

Either that or it shows that they weren't bought into the left Labour project and the only thing making them vote Labour was residual tribal affiliation and they would have flaked soon anyway.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

His Divine Shadow posted:

How can these massive cunts expect anything in return? Aside from possibly a kick in the nuts?

They were definitely deeply confused by Corbyn's decision to not purge the party and fill it with spineless lackeys and personality cultists, not because it was something that was reasonable to expect from him but because it's only exactly what any of them would have done.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Renaissance Robot posted:

They were definitely deeply confused by Corbyn's decision to not purge the party and fill it with spineless lackeys and personality cultists, not because it was something that was reasonable to expect from him but because it's only exactly what any of them would have done.

Tbf he should have

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

Tbf he should have

I mean no he should have purged it OF the spineless lackeys and personality cultists and filled it with leftists.

E: I just got this from momentum NGC:

quote:

We didn’t win - and that failure is ours collectively - but we have transformed politics for the better. While the Tories will always represent the big polluters and tax dodgers, austerity as a political project has been defeated. No major politician of any party talks about ‘belt tightening’ and ‘necessary cuts’ any longer. Investment and pride in our public services is the new mantra, if not the new reality. This is our victory. And we should be proud.

Emphasis theirs.

That first bolded bit sure is a strong assertion that jesus making GBS threads christ how can you be that shortsighted. Nobody's talking about it right now, that doesn't mean they're not still doing it, nor that they won't immediately start talking about it again in 3 to 6 months because the pandemic caused us to overspend on the national credit card or whatever.

Holy poo poo I thought momentum's brass were not that stupid.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 5, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean no he should have purged it OF the spineless lackeys and personality cultists and filled it with leftists.

E: I just got this from momentum NGC:

Emphasis theirs.

That first bolded bit sure is a strong assertion that jesus making GBS threads christ how can you be that shortsighted. Nobody's talking about it right now, that doesn't mean they're not still doing it, nor that they won't immediately start talking about it again in 3 to 6 months because the pandemic caused us to overspend on the national credit card or whatever.

Holy poo poo I thought momentum's brass were not that stupid.

They aren't that stupid, they are just trying to keep people from quitting Labour & otherwise keep the left from getting too disheartened.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

They aren't that stupid, they are just trying to keep people from quitting Labour & otherwise keep the left from getting too disheartened.

IDK about anyone else, but telling me we won and austerity is over when we transparently didn't and it's not, from the ostensibly sensible elftist arm of Labour is more likely to make me, a sensible leftist who recognises that austerity is transparently not loving over, is more likely to make me leave than any of the other poo poo I've seen thus far.

Which, for the record, I'm not going to.

I don't think electoralism is the solution, but on the offchance it might be, I'm willing to kick it a meal out per month in the hope that bigger brains and better activists than me can make it work.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBF there shouldn't be one yet because China seems to show that it comes rushing back quicker than expected when you start to relax restrictions, so even a competent administration would be waiting to see what happens in Italy, Spain and France before deciding what to do.

Where are you getting this from, China's only had cases from people coming in from outside the country in the past fortnight.

That said, replicating what China is doing is extremely hard for us to do, we should look to South Korea and accelerate testing.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently BOC do have oxygen tankers but that requires you have a giant high pressure/liquid oxygen tank somewhere on the site, which is... probably going to require a bit of clearance.

One of the things they were planning to train the army to do was drive oxygen tankers around, and I remember a clip from the building of NHS Nightingale where they were lifting in a very battered containerised oxygen tank.
I can see companies like ICI getting leaned on to donate their oxygen storage or production capacity fairly soon. Reagent grade might only be 99.99% pure, but times are hard.

Starmer asking for an exit strategy from the pandemic is quite a good stance because it's a) a question on everyone's mind and b) unanswerable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

How else is O2 stored on hospital sites than in giant liquid tanks?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like that could also be explained as a gas leak.

Or just a poorly-ventilated space in general.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Endjinneer posted:

One of the things they were planning to train the army to do was drive oxygen tankers around, and I remember a clip from the building of NHS Nightingale where they were lifting in a very battered containerised oxygen tank.
I can see companies like ICI getting leaned on to donate their oxygen storage or production capacity fairly soon. Reagent grade might only be 99.99% pure, but times are hard.

Starmer asking for an exit strategy from the pandemic is quite a good stance because it's a) a question on everyone's mind and b) unanswerable.

I mean air at this point is likely not 99.99% pure particularly if you’re in London.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

Lots of relatively small canisters

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of beer I found out recently that I quite like newkie brown despite not generally liking any sort of beer drink.

Are there any other things in that vein that I should try if so? I like that it's not particularly bitter, just a nice rounded flavour to it, sort of earthy and pleasant.

Pages late I know but Double Maxim is basically Newkie Brown but actually decent.

Also Cameron's Strongarm and Jenning's Sneck Lifter.

(Yes i'm from the North East.)

Also don't bother with Old Peculier unless it's from Cask, the bottled and canned versions are pale imitations.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
All these libs coming out for Kier make me respect them even less. Its not even political I'm just loving shocked at who they choose to be their daddy.
Keir is a lovely daddy, I'll die on this hill.
He looks like maybe he'll slap your rear end and say GOSH but that's it. Doesn't even have that awful London Business man vibe. Honestly atrocious. 0/10

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
turns out the reason Tom couldn't come to party meetings was he was helping write fundamental texts of english literature several centuries ago. its a good excuse tbh

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/apr/05/shakespeares-secret-co-writer-finally-takes-a-bow-430-years-late

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Old Peculiar has the honour of anachronistically featuring in one of the coolest movie scenes ever, see if you can spot it.

https://youtu.be/lthUxiO_KOM

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

A giant gas tank. Liquefying it would take massive amounts of energy and add huge safety problems, for no real advantage compared to just putting a bigger cylinder there.

e.g. this one at the Royal London, which I'm told is part of an off-the-shelf system that BOC (British Oxygen Cylinders, because that's how they got into the "moving gases around" biz) sell to hospitals (and iron foundries) - an identical system is being installed at Nightingale right now.. There's also individual cylinders (from little 2-3kg ones for ambulatory patients and giant 100-kg ones for emergency backup if the piped system fails which are delivered by lorry, and like I say transporting these is likely to be the bottleneck if/when these systems need maintenance.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

Endjinneer posted:

I know the cryogenics side much better than the industrial chemicals side, but I couldn't see any general chemical company (ICI or other) having anywhere near the O2 generation capacity as the cryogenics companies - BOC (Linde)/Air Products/Air Liquide.

The hospital oxygen will be fed from one of 4 different sources (in general).
- Bulk onsite liquid oxygen tank. These are anywhere between 5000L to 100kL or higher and the larger hospitals can have multiple. They store the liquid at around 10atm of pressure, which is then vapourised and reduced in pressure for use at 4atm. The main bottleneck with these are the refilling, as they are filled by approx 20kL road tankers. The tanks then feed the O2 gas pipe reticulation that feeds the terminals in operating wards/beds.
- High volume oxygen generators, usually PSA units. These generate oxygen out of the air onsite, by removing the nitrogen. The bottleneck is that these are sized for a particular airflow, so scaling up can take a while, as you need to add more kit. They would feed the same reticulated supply
- High pressure cylinder banks. These are usually a bank of anywhere between 2-50 cylinders. The cylinders are 50L stored at 200atm. These are usually used in super small clinics, or at tertiary backup for larger hospitals (if multiple cryogenic/PSA units fail). They feed the same reticulated supply, but only kick in if the main supply fail. The refilling of these would be the bottleneck, as it is done off site at gas company fill sites
- Individual high pressure cylinders. for direct supply. These are between 1L to 50L. Used for individual bits of kit, particularly if they need to be mobile. same bottleneck as above.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Good to see Appman is using the tried and tested responses when challenged on giving the NHS what it needs.

Old days:

Journo: "The NHS is underfunded (some ingrates say)"
Appman: "We gave the NHS [large number] money"
Journo: "Wow. That's a large number"

Now days:

Journo: "The NHS hasn't got enough PPE (some nurses say)"
Appman: "We gave the NHS [large number] PPE"
Journo: "Wow. That's a large number"

E: also slightly more logically than my Alex Jones/Arron Banks confusion, I still do a double take when I see Professor Neil Ferguson

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 5, 2020

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A giant gas tank. Liquefying it would take massive amounts of energy and add huge safety problems, for no real advantage compared to just putting a bigger cylinder there.

e.g. this one at the Royal London, which I'm told is part of an off-the-shelf system that BOC (British Oxygen Cylinders, because that's how they got into the "moving gases around" biz) sell to hospitals (and iron foundries) - an identical system is being installed at Nightingale right now.. There's also individual cylinders (from little 2-3kg ones for ambulatory patients and giant 100-kg ones for emergency backup if the piped system fails which are delivered by lorry, and like I say transporting these is likely to be the bottleneck if/when these systems need maintenance.

Yeah, they're pretty much off the shelf (depending on exact equipment). Where I live, the most time consuming part is putting in the giant earthquake proof foundation for the tanks, but in reality they could be put in in a day or two. Setup is basically the giant tank, a pre-fabricated vaporised unit for heating up the liquid so it vaporised into gas, then a pressure reducing kit, to reduce the pressure to the required level for introduction into the hospital pipes. BOC was in fact originally called Brin's Oxygen Company (after the founder), but got renamed to British Oxygen Company. I'll shut up about Oxygen now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sticko posted:

I know the cryogenics side much better than the industrial chemicals side, but I couldn't see any general chemical company (ICI or other) having anywhere near the O2 generation capacity as the cryogenics companies - BOC (Linde)/Air Products/Air Liquide.

The hospital oxygen will be fed from one of 4 different sources (in general).
- Bulk onsite liquid oxygen tank. These are anywhere between 5000L to 100kL or higher and the larger hospitals can have multiple. They store the liquid at around 10atm of pressure, which is then vapourised and reduced in pressure for use at 4atm. The main bottleneck with these are the refilling, as they are filled by approx 20kL road tankers. The tanks then feed the O2 gas pipe reticulation that feeds the terminals in operating wards/beds.
- High volume oxygen generators, usually PSA units. These generate oxygen out of the air onsite, by removing the nitrogen. The bottleneck is that these are sized for a particular airflow, so scaling up can take a while, as you need to add more kit. They would feed the same reticulated supply
- High pressure cylinder banks. These are usually a bank of anywhere between 2-50 cylinders. The cylinders are 50L stored at 200atm. These are usually used in super small clinics, or at tertiary backup for larger hospitals (if multiple cryogenic/PSA units fail). They feed the same reticulated supply, but only kick in if the main supply fail. The refilling of these would be the bottleneck, as it is done off site at gas company fill sites
- Individual high pressure cylinders. for direct supply. These are between 1L to 50L. Used for individual bits of kit, particularly if they need to be mobile. same bottleneck as above.

AIUI these BOC systems are the second kind, because the piped oxygen doesn't need to be as pure as that used for e.g. welding. This is all second- and third-hand info though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A "leading" German virologist:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/02/no-proof-coronavirus-can-spread-shopping-says-leading-german/

"Coronavirus has not been spread by shopping or going to the hairdresser, a leading virologist has said after studying a hotspot for the virus.

Prof Hendrik Streeck, leading the response in one of Germany's worst-hit regions, said Covid-19 might not be spread as easily as people believe."

Any thoughts on this?

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

goddamnedtwisto posted:

AIUI these BOC systems are the second kind, because the piped oxygen doesn't need to be as pure as that used for e.g. welding. This is all second- and third-hand info though.

Sorry, I lied about shutting up. Nah, the vast vast majority of the BOC systems are the first kind, with backup cylinders (3rd kind). BOC does supply some onsite generators, but they're mostly supplied by non-cryo companies. All the bulk onsite cryogenic tanks (the big white ones you see) are fed from cryogenics tankers. The actual cryo oxygen is produced at Air Separation Units, which also produce cryo Nitrogen and Argon, which are used for other industries. The ASUs usually are installed next to one large user (often a steel works or similar), with the remainer used to supply the rest of the market, including hospitals. The actual Medical Oxygen specification is actually pretty strict, but all specs are from the same source, as its easier to make one purity than multiple. Though yes, it isn't quite as strict as for welding or high purity uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doesn't that flatly contradict everything we've seen so far? How is spreading so quickly otherwise?