Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dad Hominem posted:

If it helps, the grip is slippery and uncomfortable, and it writes as well as you'd expect from a big steel tube.

Hmm--I never really thought much about the actual writing comfort for it but that's disappointing :(

I have seen in-person at a pen meeting and it's p small but extremely expensive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzOE2HFDO7g/?utm_source=ig_embed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

Also, if you're looking for something a bit more substantial, consider supporting Kessel's (poster in this very thread) shop out of Singapore that is still running right now. https://www.musu.bi/ His more consumable notebooks are still pricey but more affordable than the archival gift ones, such as: https://www.musu.bi/shop/tomo-system/folio-notebooks-a5/bank-paper Prices are in SGD as a fyi. Shipping has always been blazing fast for me, 3 days from purchase to door (SG to Florida) in some cases.

404notfound posted:

Just wanted to call out Kessel for being a Good Dude: The big Covid-19 update.

Thanks. It's challenging times here at Musubi as we deal with the fallout from Covid-19, especially since so many of our artisans with disabilities are considered at-risk persons. Still, things are under control here in Singapore and we've been able to remain operational.

(I've got plenty of notebooks, come take them off my hands)

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
New pen! Sheaffer Imperial IV with the touchdown filler. Haven't tested it yet because all of my inks are in my office and we're isolating. Looks good though!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Alder posted:

Hmm--I never really thought much about the actual writing comfort for it but that's disappointing :(

I have seen in-person at a pen meeting and it's p small but extremely expensive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzOE2HFDO7g/?utm_source=ig_embed

For what it's worth I have a Pilot M90, it being my grail pen previously, and it's one of my favourites.

The nib is very inflexible, but writes very smoothly with good flow. I don't personally find the grip an issue but I can see it being one depending how you write. If you write with reasonably high pressure on the paper, your fingers could easily slip down the grip as there is no flaring at the tip, or if you have especially sweaty hands maybe.

It is a very good looking pen though. Even coming from someone that loves metal pens.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vitamins posted:

For what it's worth I have a Pilot M90, it being my grail pen previously, and it's one of my favourites.

The nib is very inflexible, but writes very smoothly with good flow. I don't personally find the grip an issue but I can see it being one depending how you write. If you write with reasonably high pressure on the paper, your fingers could easily slip down the grip as there is no flaring at the tip, or if you have especially sweaty hands maybe.

It is a very good looking pen though. Even coming from someone that loves metal pens.

Thanks, my friend has a M90 but it's pretty expensive nowadays. I'd glad that it writes OK and I'm on the fence w/Murex since it's cheaper and closer to a reg FP.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Are Sailor inks known to smell? I got some sailor inks from what I have to imagine has to be the last goulet shipment in awhile and I can't help but notice that they kinda smell. Most of the time I can't really smell my ink while I'm using it but this smells strongly.

It's not an unpleasant smell, mind you. It's sorta similar to that "new plastic" smell when you buy some new electronics or whatever. It just came as a surprise.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Yep, but it's not a bad thing. Sailor and a bunch of other brands use phenol in their inks which is a strong-smelling chemical that prevents them from going moldy.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 26, 2020

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

To be honest I prefer the sharp smell of Jentle inks to the sugar/caramel smell of KWZ, which just makes me dizzy after a while.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Decided to give the pens a thorough cleaning today since work has slowed down and we're all stuck inside. Now my pens are all nice and squeaky clean. It also made me really appreciate the ingenuity of Sailor converters. They don't use any glue in their construction, so everything screws together and can be taken apart with just a simple twist.

Also took the opportunity to finally take a pen collection photo:

Left column, top to bottom:
Wing Sung 699
Sailor 1911 Standard
Sailor Professional Gear
Sailor Professional Gear Slim
Sailor Procolor 500

Right column, top to bottom:
Pilot Capless
Wing Sung 601
Platinum 3776
Conklin Duragraph
TWSBI Eco-T (inked up with tsukushi before photo was taken)
Moonman 80

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Five days on the Diamine Ancient Copper and Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku that I accidentally shifted enough off the shelf enough to break on the floor? My feet still look super weird.

Pay attention and keep your inks in places that you can't accidentally knock them onto the floor.

It's just enough to look like I'm kinda bleeding, both as a human and an alien.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What pen stands do y'all have and recommend?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I have a happy little buddha.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Can't go wrong with the crab.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Hmm

I seem to have purchased a non-Delta fountain pen. How odd

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

grack posted:

Hmm

I seem to have purchased a non-Delta fountain pen. How odd

Are you okay? I know everyone is going stir-crazy from this quarantine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Are you okay? I know everyone is going stir-crazy from this quarantine.

Got a Decimo (finally), I had some Amazon GCs to use. Perhaps I'll get a Delta next month.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what's the best pen to use if my handwriting can be described (generously) as "manifesto scrawled on toilet paper with pen clutched in teeth"? presuming the fellow in question is either in some kind of restraining jacket or chewed their own limbs off in a fit of manic genius.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Well if you're planning to write prescriptions with it I'd recommend a bulletproof ink :v:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

what's the best pen to use if my handwriting can be described (generously) as "manifesto scrawled on toilet paper with pen clutched in teeth"? presuming the fellow in question is either in some kind of restraining jacket or chewed their own limbs off in a fit of manic genius.

A stub nib kinda forces you to use more correct form, but it can be a big adjustment if your writing is naturally on the smaller side. I prefer EF nibs, but can't argue with results.

I've used EF Metros forever, but recently got a stub TWSBI Go and its silky-smooth and my cursive looks WAY better, but it kinda irks me how big a have to write for it to be legible. I have to choose between thin, precise chicken-scratch or DUMMY THICC BUT YOU CAN READ IT

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 2, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Maybe I should get an something with an italic nib for my doctor. His handwriting is so bad that pharmacists and lab techs regularly complain that they can't read it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got an Essay Set in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It has a fountain pen, and I got unreasonably excited about it. Thanks, thread.

So where can I get an extra fine nib for my Pilot Metro? I ordered another Metro and want to slap an EF nib on it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

LifeLynx posted:

I got an Essay Set in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It has a fountain pen, and I got unreasonably excited about it. Thanks, thread.

So where can I get an extra fine nib for my Pilot Metro? I ordered another Metro and want to slap an EF nib on it.

Me too!

The ink bottle is what stuck out at me first. It's that very iconic style bottle.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

Me too!

The ink bottle is what stuck out at me first. It's that very iconic style bottle.

My essay set doesn't look like that one, which I also found on Reddit. It's similar, but it has crumpled up paper on top of it. Weird.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Wonder Pens is doing a Covid pen pal match-up for kids and adults.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My handwriting is awful and I've found the key is a pen that writes smoothly. No skips, no hesitations. At work I use Pentel energel gel pens but a good non-scratchy fountain pen helps too. My favourite is the mini pen Cult Pens used to make and now don't any more, to my irritation.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My handwriting is fine provided I'm writing overhand (I'm left handed). If I write underhand, it's bad but not doctor level bad.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lol just slow down and pay attention to how you're writing

you know how the letters are shaped, do that

in these trying times, maybe drink more or less, could go either way, i ain't judging

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

FFT posted:

lol just slow down and pay attention to how you're writing

you know how the letters are shaped, do that

This is the key takeaway from this handwriting book. It's a good book and I'd recommend it, but the most important bit is Conscientious Practice.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

/e i think that's the first time i've used the Lamy Peridot and i'm super happy with how it looks

stringless fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 4, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I don’t waterman fountain pens get more love in this thread? One of my favorite pens is a waterman Paris from the mid to 2000’s. They’ve discontinued that line sadly.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LionArcher posted:

I don’t waterman fountain pens get more love in this thread? One of my favorite pens is a waterman Paris from the mid to 2000’s. They’ve discontinued that line sadly.

I like waterman FP but modern waterman tends to expensive and they're only made in France nowadays :effort:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Kinda boring and expensive, for the most part.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Waterman pens in the US seem to fill the "expensive pen you buy someone who got a nice promotion" niche and little else. I'm sure they're fine pens but also expensive and don't really have much of a presence in the hobbyist space.

Edit: The impression I get is that they want to mostly be a high end, Montblanc-esque brand. At least that is what I assume of companies that don't list MSRP and need me to find an authorized retailer

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 5, 2020

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

My first "proper" fountain pen was a Waterman Hemisphere. It's a perfectly good pen, nothing special but writes well and sits nicely in the hand.

I'd love an Edson but $$$

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If you can find a Carene on sale, they’re nice.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My second Metro arrived, and I ordered an extra fine Kakuno so I can put that extra fine nib on it. Too bad the Kakuno isn't going to be here for another 10-20 days, but that can't be helped right now.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Idgi I highly prefer kakuno body over metro

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

teraflame posted:

Idgi I highly prefer kakuno body over metro

I guess I'll see when it gets here. The Metro is my first fountain pen and I've never seen another one in person even, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I bought a Jinhao 911 for fun. Since it cost me the equivalent of two cups of coffee I had zero expectations but it’s quickly turning into my favorite pen. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

From time to time when bored I'll browse Ebay and bid on pens that have a few hours to a day or two to go. I never won any and never really think I will win since so much of ebay bidding is how you do in the last 10 seconds or so.

Until just now. Oops. At least it looks nice and wasn't too expensive.

Edit: It's a 1940s Sailor with a fude nib. It looks really nice in the pictures and it sounds like it's restored or at least in working condition. Reputable japanese seller as well, etc.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 7, 2020