Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
More:

He told German TV "there are no proven infections while shopping or at the hairdresser" and that Germany's "patient zero" only infected her colleagues and not other guests or diners at the hotel where she was staying.

"The virus spreads in other places: the party in Ischgl, the club in Berlin, the football game in Bergamo," he said.

"We know it's not a smear infection that is transmitted by touching objects, but that close dancing and exuberant celebrations have led to infections."

How is being at a hairdresser any different than a football match (unless you are actually kissing other fans in celebration or something)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Starmer not totally terrible on Marr just now. He needs a lot of work on things like body language etc., he was kind of hunched over. Also he totally fails to leapfrog off detailed policy questions into articulating a big personal vision, which is why he comes off as so uninspiring a speaker. Hopefully someone is going to tell him this stuff at some point (ha, ha)

He was emphatic on anti-austerity which is something I suppose, if he keeps it up - a bit weak on other stuff though and said he didn't have all the answers about economic rebalancing which is... yeah:

Keir Starmer posted:

[asked about post-COVID vision]
Well it is going to be a completely different future and what we can't do is go back to business as usual. We now know who the key workers really are, and they very often been overlooked, underpaid, and there's go to be a change; they were last and now they've got to be first.
We've got to look at funding. The NHS has struggled for funding over the last 10 years so that's got to be looked at. And we've got to think about how we reimagine the economy going forward, now I'm not going to pretend I've got all the answers...
We don't know what the final figures will be, but what we can't do is simply make the mistake we made in 2010 and go through another decade of austerity. We've seen what that has done to the country, we cannot go down that route.

[asked about John McD's statement about increasing taxes on rich & big corps]
...I think it is inevitable that we have to ask those that have more to pay more. The truth is at the moment we don't yet know how big this challenge is going to be until we're through this crisis. But when we are through there's going to have to be a reckoning. We're going to have to do things differently. We're going to have to build a better future.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Man the boy racers are gonna be upset when the lockdown ends, with nobody around they've been out there practically 16 hours a day lately.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Sorry to drag up a topic from pages ago now, but I haven’t been on the forum since this afternoon. Re: Keir and the Trans Rights pledge, I can tell you that on the RLB campaign we received a shitload of emails that were basically a few paragraphs of transphobic wittering followed by “...and that’s why I can never vote for someone who signed the Trans Rights pledge to be leader of the Labour Party”. This happened a lot.

Because he didn’t sign that pledge, Keir was 100% the TERFs’ choice for leader. Does anyone seriously think that Keir or his team weren’t aware of that? They clearly explicitly did not sign this pledge that the other two candidates did in order to court a block of awful people to vote for him.

I'll have a look around today, but on the surface level it looks like Starmer's pro-LGBT rights when they're all wrapped up in a neat package, but isn't specifically pro-trans rights.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sticko posted:

Sorry, I lied about shutting up. Nah, the vast vast majority of the BOC systems are the first kind, with backup cylinders (3rd kind). BOC does supply some onsite generators, but they're mostly supplied by non-cryo companies. All the bulk onsite cryogenic tanks (the big white ones you see) are fed from cryogenics tankers. The actual cryo oxygen is produced at Air Separation Units, which also produce cryo Nitrogen and Argon, which are used for other industries. The ASUs usually are installed next to one large user (often a steel works or similar), with the remainer used to supply the rest of the market, including hospitals. The actual Medical Oxygen specification is actually pretty strict, but all specs are from the same source, as its easier to make one purity than multiple. Though yes, it isn't quite as strict as for welding or high purity uses.

Please never shut up about oxygen.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

how torturous is the Universal Credit signup system right now? I've never applied for it before because the idea of having to explain in ridiculous detail how depressed I am sounds like a really bad idea for my continuing survival (and I don't quote need unquote the money), but if right now they're automatically (or near enough) approving everyone then it seems a bit silly not to sign up even if it's only for a couple of months

It's not that bad and they're apparently not expecting people to prove they do 36 hrs a week of job applying at this point. I got a call off Barnet Council to confirm things rather than you having to sit in a queue for hours on end as well. It'll take a fair while for your passport/driving licence ID to go through Digidentity though (3 days for mine), so there's plenty of time for you to have a go at 1 man band ltd companies for being Tax avoiders as they struggle to pay rent/for anything while it does.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That was the first time I've seen Starmer in motion, he looks like he's being haunted by a ghost.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That was the first time I've seen Starmer in motion, he looks like he's being haunted by a ghost.

We're all being haunted by a ghost; the ghost of Marx

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

HJB posted:

Man the boy racers are gonna be upset when the lockdown ends, with nobody around they've been out there practically 16 hours a day lately.

it's not been too bad here but there's been a couple of motorbike fatalities and some metal fences have been smashed up from crash damage nearby. It'll never be as funny as a couple of months ago when people repeatedly managed to take out the same pole on a slight curve 3 times in a row in the space of a few weeks. Council had to keep putting it back up.

e: i assume it must of been on some sort of circuit people had made for racing overnight? no way could it coincidentally be crashed in to so often.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 5, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

"Spoken to Keir this afternoon"
"I look forward to welcoming Keir to the Potteries"
"Looking forward to working with Keir to rebuild our party"

Ffffff, she's coming back, isn't she. :(

I wonder how many other Change candidates we're going to get crawling back.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 5, 2020

minema
May 31, 2011
Hancock saying outdoor exercise could be banned if people aren't paying attention, but non essential businesses are still demanding their staff come in to work, which seems more of a problem.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jippa posted:

More:

He told German TV "there are no proven infections while shopping or at the hairdresser" and that Germany's "patient zero" only infected her colleagues and not other guests or diners at the hotel where she was staying.

"The virus spreads in other places: the party in Ischgl, the club in Berlin, the football game in Bergamo," he said.

"We know it's not a smear infection that is transmitted by touching objects, but that close dancing and exuberant celebrations have led to infections."

How is being at a hairdresser any different than a football match (unless you are actually kissing other fans in celebration or something)?

A blatant and transparent attempt to protect number, nothing more. The olds who died in those Spanish care homes weren't engaging in close dancing or exuberant celebrations, but they're still very loving dead.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

minema posted:

Hancock saying outdoor exercise could be banned if people aren't paying attention, but non essential businesses are still demanding their staff come in to work, which seems more of a problem.

fuckers who are abusing the exercise thing so they can go crowd parks in big stupid groups are annoying me :( if i can't go ride a bike by myself for a few hours a day i'm gonna go insane.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Encouraging first remarks from Starmer:

quote:

Key workers have been "overlooked and underpaid" and there will have to be a "reckoning" after the coronavirus crisis, the new Labour leader has said.

Sir Keir Starmer told the BBC's Andrew Marr: "They were last and now they've got to be first."

He said another decade of austerity would be a mistake, saying it was "inevitable" that the wealthy would have to pay more.

Speaking to the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, Sir Keir said: "What we can't do is go back to business as usual we now know who the key workers are, they have very often been overlooked, underpaid and there has got to be a change."

He said funding of the NHS had to be looked at and "we have to think about how we reimagine the economy going forward".

"I think it is inevitable that we have to ask those that have more to pay more," he said.

"When we are through [the coronavirus crisis] there is going to have to be a reckoning, we are going to have to do things differently."

Looks at least like he has no intention from backing away from an anti-austerity stance.

Edit:

Also I don't normally approve of Tabloid stings, but in this case... The Scottish chief medical officer decides to take a wee trip to the holiday home in Fife.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52171694

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 5, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

A "leading" German virologist:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/02/no-proof-coronavirus-can-spread-shopping-says-leading-german/

"Coronavirus has not been spread by shopping or going to the hairdresser, a leading virologist has said after studying a hotspot for the virus.

Prof Hendrik Streeck, leading the response in one of Germany's worst-hit regions, said Covid-19 might not be spread as easily as people believe."

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, that publishing an "X cures/causes cancer" article that was complete garbage is the Daily Mail's job.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, but what was that thing where you assume someone is an expert in fields you're unfamiliar with when they're clearly incompetent in fields you are familiar with?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

fuckers who are abusing the exercise thing so they can go crowd parks in big stupid groups are annoying me :( if i can't go ride a bike by myself for a few hours a day i'm gonna go insane.

Put a rucksack on and say you're going shopping. Or just be white and affluent-looking, you'll be fine.

Really loving notable how the big outrage about people "crowding" parks (in fact 3,000 people in an area giving them 160ish square metres) this weekend has been about Brockwell Park. What is it about the area around that park do you think that has made it the focus for this national curtain-twitching?

:iiam:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, but what was that thing where you assume someone is an expert in fields you're unfamiliar with when they're clearly incompetent in fields you are familiar with?

Gell-Mann Amnesia?

Alternatively - my posting.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Prince John posted:

Encouraging first remarks from Starmer:

Looks at least like he has no intention from backing away from an anti-austerity stance.

The global situation is pulling everyone to towards a fiscal expansionary position because no society will survive the economic and population hit from covid 19 if the government just lets everything go bankrupt but what matters now is the qualitative direction of where that money is going and what narrative is being established. The right wing, including those in Labour, will absolutely return to austerity rhetoric the second it won't visibly kill people any more using debt:GDP ratios and all the old arguments which worked last time and if Starmers bold argument is 'we'll have to do things differently' then that's so vague that he could absolutely be pulled into weak, limited positions like arguing for a higher minimum wage and more NHS spending as the absolute limits for Labours platform when all our infrastructure is either government run or utterly dependant on government money to exist and shouldn't just be returned to the private sector afterwards, to take one example.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Starmer not totally terrible on Marr just now. He needs a lot of work on things like body language etc., he was kind of hunched over. Also he totally fails to leapfrog off detailed policy questions into articulating a big personal vision, which is why he comes off as so uninspiring a speaker. Hopefully someone is going to tell him this stuff at some point (ha, ha)

He was emphatic on anti-austerity which is something I suppose, if he keeps it up - a bit weak on other stuff though and said he didn't have all the answers about economic rebalancing which is... yeah:

I like the "they were last and now they have to be first" line, although he is kind of ripping it off from Jesus.

Jippa posted:

A "leading" German virologist:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/02/no-proof-coronavirus-can-spread-shopping-says-leading-german/

"Coronavirus has not been spread by shopping or going to the hairdresser, a leading virologist has said after studying a hotspot for the virus.

Prof Hendrik Streeck, leading the response in one of Germany's worst-hit regions, said Covid-19 might not be spread as easily as people believe."

Any thoughts on this?

Number must go up.

Right-wing media outlets will be desperately hunting for anyone with a shred of authority willing to say we should re-open everything and it won't cause catastrophe. But an expert opinion is the lowest form of evidence, especially when it comes from a single 'expert' and goes against what the majority of the field are saying.

Prince John posted:

All of them, probably.

It's depressing how transparent they are, given that one conversation with Keir has apparently solved the antisemitism 'crisis' engulfing the party. But I doubt anyone will call them out on it. Just a shame that it probably bodes quite poorly for Palestinians.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

It's depressing how transparent they are, given that one conversation with Keir has apparently solved the antisemitism 'crisis' engulfing the party. But I doubt anyone will call them out on it. Just a shame that it probably bodes quite poorly for Palestinians.

There's a depressingly large amount of people willing to overlook the deaths of half a million Iraqis because of Sure Start, I'm sure they'd be willing to let Israel nuke the entire West Bank for a 5% minimum wage rise (over 5 years) and some new PFI hospitals.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

crispix posted:

Have any of yous ever lived in a house with a ghost?!?!? :ghost: :spooky: :ohdear:

Bit late on this, but yes.

My flat in Aberdeen had mysterious footsteps every night in the passageway between the bedroom and the lounge. I used to be able to sit on the toilet in the bathroom (which had a frosted glass door opening onto the same passage) and listen to them pass from the bedroom to the lounge, without anything casting a shadow through the door. Asking around, apparently previous owners had reported the same.

And the place in France my parents are currently hiding from the world is a farmhouse that dates back to the 1500s in parts. The upstairs passageway by the bedrooms in one section of it has mysterious footsteps that sound out at 4am when someone in the household is sick, inured or very sad- there’s a legend about a servant named Gaston who died there about 150 years back defending the family from robbers who returns to watch over us.

Weirdly he’s also really active around Easter- only time I’ve ever seen anything or heard activity during the day. First heard him on good Friday 1994, which happened to be the first time my brother and I were left alone in the house. There was stomping back and forth for literally an hour- we ended up breaking open the gun cupboard and fortifying ourselves in the playroom, armed with air rifles. Now if I’m out there over Easter I can almost guarantee I’ll see or hear something. Only saw him clearly once- good Friday 2002. I was ill with stomach cramps so was downstairs in the kitchen (opposite the playroom) on my laptop at about 2am, roleplaying on a Star Wars MUSH. Looked up and saw what I can only describe as a shadow on thin air standing in the doorway- details weren’t clear but it was a male shape about 5’6” and slightly built (smaller and a completely different shape from anyone in the family, male or female). I managed to touch type ‘Guys, I am looking at a ghost right the gently caress now’ to the people I was playing with before it just sort of faded away in front of me.

When you live with ghosts you just sort of get used to them after a while. Before we met my wife worked and lived in ‘The Rose and Crown’ in Warwick, which was absolutely lousy with the things. You just accept that sometimes weird poo poo happens.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1246738827294752768?s=20

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Darth Walrus posted:

ronya

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a depressingly large amount of people willing to overlook the deaths of half a million Iraqis because of Sure Start, I'm sure they'd be willing to let Israel nuke the entire West Bank for a 5% minimum wage rise (over 5 years) and some new PFI hospitals.

Corbyn's foreign policy was always, in my opinion, a bigger impediment to him getting into power than his domestic agenda. Being nice to the poor might get you disapproving looks from our major allies, but trying to shift the international balance of power/consorting with our 'enemies' is genuinely the sort of thing they will just kill you for. Part of me is slightly relieved Corbyn made it out of the job without getting into a mysterious CIA/Mossad-approved "car accident".

So it's not a great feeling, but I can see it coming that one of compromises we are asked to make with Starmer is a Corbyn-styled domestic agenda but without any significant shifts in foreign policy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Prince John posted:

Pretty sure Ruth Smeeth never left sadly, just lost her seat to the Tories

lol nice

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Would you guys prefer Kevin Spacey to be health secretary?

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Put a rucksack on and say you're going shopping. Or just be white and affluent-looking, you'll be fine.

Really loving notable how the big outrage about people "crowding" parks (in fact 3,000 people in an area giving them 160ish square metres) this weekend has been about Brockwell Park. What is it about the area around that park do you think that has made it the focus for this national curtain-twitching?

:iiam:

there is also outrage about posh white people going out to enjoy the sun in affluent areas as well.

https://twitter.com/MPSCamandPrim/status/1246529798371004428?s=20

richmond park has been closed for cyclists for about a week now, which mostly (though not entirely) inconviences people with expensive road bikes

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Pretty sure Ruth Smeeth never left sadly, just lost her seat to the Tories

Haha, wow, you're completely right. I think I had just lumped her in with the rest. :facepalm:

jabby posted:

Corbyn's foreign policy was always, in my opinion, a bigger impediment to him getting into power than his domestic agenda. Being nice to the poor might get you disapproving looks from our major allies, but trying to shift the international balance of power/consorting with our 'enemies' is genuinely the sort of thing they will just kill you for. Part of me is slightly relieved Corbyn made it out of the job without getting into a mysterious CIA/Mossad-approved "car accident".

So it's not a great feeling, but I can see it coming that one of compromises we are asked to make with Starmer is a Corbyn-styled domestic agenda but without any significant shifts in foreign policy.

I think this feels likely. A couple of right wing commentators on his leadership campaign were drawing attention to the complete absence of anything on foreign policy.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

please clap for the nhs but dont pay them

#thankyounhs

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s so nice out gently caress

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Public prosecution service annual lecture - the role of the prosecutor in a modern democracy - Keir Starmer, October 2009

Maybe someone will want to read through that, so there it is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Still gonna stick with my "I'll see how balanced Starmer's cabinet is before I decide he's Miliband with an even worse team.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I can see why many within Labour think they need a move towards the centre to chase that elusive concept known as 'electability' (I think they're very wrong, but I can see why they think that). However, it blows my mind that, after the election we've just had, and the clear reason why the defeat was so heavy (Brexit, obvs), they think the #1 figurehead for Remain is the person to do it. I'd predict that Starmer will get beaten worse than Miliband in an election for that reason alone. Especially if he cuts out the left as many are supposing. The only other option is to 'win' by doing everything the right-wing of this country want him to do, in which case what's the point of winning at all?

Also, why do these people think he's such an attractive, suave operator? On Marr he's got the same overfed puce features as most gammons, and his voice is so bland it's hard to listen to for any extended length of time.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

oxford_town posted:

there is also outrage about posh white people going out to enjoy the sun in affluent areas as well.

https://twitter.com/MPSCamandPrim/status/1246529798371004428?s=20

richmond park has been closed for cyclists for about a week now, which mostly (though not entirely) inconviences people with expensive road bikes

This outrage is all so confected to pass the blame to the public for the rising death toll, and distract from the government's failure on PPE/testing/"herd immunity".

As long as you're at least several meters away from everyone else outside, your risk of transmission is going to be low regardless of if you're jogging or sunbathing. So pretty much everyone in that picture is fine, and you can guarantee they took it from the worst possible angle to make people look close together.

Meanwhile huge numbers of non-essential employees are still being forced to go to work, but the government might ban exercise outdoors.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I noticed with what Starmer has been saying its all we'll take a look at retail workers' pay "after the crisis is over". We'll deal with large companies "once we've dealt with corona virus".

No we loving won't, at that point it's too late and the power of back with them. Now is exactly the time to demand that things change.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't mean to suggest that only MPs are important people but who cares about Ruth smeeth if she isn't even one anymore? Like why would starmer be talking to her particularly given he's just got a big new job and must have stuff to do.

Edit. Vvv lol

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 5, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

to thank her for helping to open up the top job

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

This outrage is all so confected to pass the blame to the public for the rising death toll, and distract from the government's failure on PPE/testing/"herd immunity".

As long as you're at least several meters away from everyone else outside, your risk of transmission is going to be low regardless of if you're jogging or sunbathing. So pretty much everyone in that picture is fine, and you can guarantee they took it from the worst possible angle to make people look close together.

Meanwhile huge numbers of non-essential employees are still being forced to go to work, but the government might ban exercise outdoors.

Yeah it's bollocks.

These are highly unusual rules that people aren't used to following. Maybe they could post someone in the park all day to tell the 50 people vaguely breaking the rules in the most densely populated part of the country to stop. Or they could just ban all exercise instead.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Have any of yous ever lived in a house with a ghost?!?!? :ghost: :spooky: :ohdear:

Not lived in, but my grandparents' house (a 1930s bungalow near Watford...not classic haunted house material) seemed to have had a 'presence'.

On infrequent but regular occasions the house would smell very strongly of pipe tobacco smoke, strongest in the living room and defusing throughout the other rooms. Neither of my grandparents smoked a pipe and neither did anyone in my family or any of their friends or neighbours. I smelt the smoke on two separate occasions in the 25 years I regularly went to that house and it was very distinctive and with no visible smoke or source.

Both my grandparents also said they occasionally saw a cat in the house (they had no pets), usually running or walking between rooms in the central passage, but a search would fail to find it. And a few times in the 40-ish years they lived there one of them would pass, say, the kitchen door and see someone in the kitchen at the sink, assume it was the other then walk into the living room and the other would be sat in their chair.

Is that a haunting, or a few tricks of the imagination and eyes over decades living in the same house? One of the neighbourhood cats probably just got into the house a few times.

My prep school had the 'feet walking up the stairs at night' - which I distinctly heard on the few times I boarded over. If it was just the stairs settling then it sounded exactly like someone walking up them at a slow but normal pace. Apparently you could hear the feet go down the stairs into the front hall a few minutes later - they went up the creaky wooden back staircase from the first floor to the dorm corridor, then down to the hall via the 'grand' stairs which were solid Portland stone. I'm pretty sure that was bollocks, though. As was the ghostly coach-and-four that most of the boarders and some of the staff insisted could be seen sweeping along the drive to the old stables (now the language department...) at sunset on calm summer nights...who knows.

I have one genuine 'ghost' encounter that I can't satisfactorily explain, but it was outdoors at an English Heritage site, not a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ghosts are real now?