Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Easiest way to do it - more realistic for a replay than a first playthrough - is to just not repair the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vil posted:

Easiest way to do it - more realistic for a replay than a first playthrough - is to just not repair the radio.

Got a good laugh from that thanks. Oh well, there goes that idea

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

If you shut down the gun before they show up they instead radio down about how there is too much of a debris field to safely come get you.

Edit: I mostly was hoping to be able to explore the sunbeam wreck or debris and find some cool loot there. Probs not worth the dev work, but it would've been cool.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Wrr posted:

If you shut down the gun before they show up they instead radio down about how there is too much of a debris field to safely come get you.

Edit: I mostly was hoping to be able to explore the sunbeam wreck or debris and find some cool loot there. Probs not worth the dev work, but it would've been cool.

Wouldve been a good explanation for the Mountains wreck.

I was kinda sad that there is not a big reason to go deep into the Mountain or Dunes biome except for mats. Both the wrecks are right near the border or the biomes.

Is there a mod that scatters blue prints better so you cant just get all of them from a 3-4 biomes? I remember almost never visiting the underwater islands or Koosh zone in my 1st playthrough because I had pretty much everything and didnt need to go to either place.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wrr posted:

The Sunbeam seems to be a lot smaller than the Aurora, there's probably nothing left of it going by what the gun does to the latter.

What I want to know is how come the debris aren't an issue if you don't shut the gun down

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wafflecopper posted:

The Sunbeam seems to be a lot smaller than the Aurora, there's probably nothing left of it going by what the gun does to the latter.

What I want to know is how come the debris aren't an issue if you don't shut the gun down

Because the debris is an excuse for not creating a new sequence in which the Sunbeam lands, which would require it to be designed and modelled

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

i mean i know, i get that, i'm just poking holes in the in-game reasoning

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They can't both happen in the same game, so they don't have to be consistent with each other. In games where you successfully disabled the gun the debris field is too dense to navigate. In games where you don't disable it, there isn't as much debris already present in orbit.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The sunbeam piece that bugged me the most is that it has to get like 500 yards away to get shot down. What kind of orbital defense platform is this??

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GotLag posted:

They can't both happen in the same game, so they don't have to be consistent with each other. In games where you successfully disabled the gun the debris field is too dense to navigate. In games where you don't disable it, there isn't as much debris already present in orbit.

schrodinger's debris field

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The debris field comes up in the actual ending though, it's the reason you need the shield module from the Cyclops to complete the escape rocket, which even takes some damage from debris on the way up.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Serephina posted:

Out of curiosity, how on earth would you get so deep so fast? It's like 2 hours in isn't it? I'm sure it's just some optimal speedrunning stuff, but I'd like to imagine that some crazy bastard did it by attaching tubes from a surface pump and swimming down.

The Sunbeam event is not time based. It's dependent on you listening to radio messages, and triggers after a certain number.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It would be cool but really expensive, a small developer like that would be pretty foolish to waste time on that to secure an event that you'll only see if you are cheating or speedrunning.

Or you could just be ignoring the radio. No cheating / speedrunning required.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

The Sunbeam event is not time based. It's dependent on you listening to radio messages, and triggers after a certain number.

Unless they changed this to be more accessible to the player, the big snag about ignoring the radio entirely from the standpoint of "No cheating/speedrunning" is actually The door code to the captains room, where you unlock the rocket, is also a gated radio message.

Of course, if you are already delaying things to the last moment possible, that's not much of a problem. So long as you clean out your radio backlog eventually either way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Section Z posted:

Unless they changed this to be more accessible to the player, the big snag about ignoring the radio entirely from the standpoint of "No cheating/speedrunning" is actually The door code to the captains room, where you unlock the rocket, is also a gated radio message.

Of course, if you are already delaying things to the last moment possible, that's not much of a problem. So long as you clean out your radio backlog eventually either way.

The thing is there the door codes don't vary at all, so you can just look up a guide or remember it from last time without having to listen to the radio at all.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

enraged_camel posted:

Pretty much. The devs are total amateurs. Whenever I check out their Trello/Favro/whatever, I feel really embarrassed for them. Literally the only reason this game became popular is because at the time, it was the only game in this specific "underwater exploration/building" genre.

What other games exist where most of the environment is under the sea?

I can only think three other games in the last ten years Bioshock 1 & 2 which don’t fully count because you are inside the city the whole game 1st game and only go out just a tiny amount in the second. But still the deep under the ocean feel is there in both games.

Soma is the only recent game I’ve played besides subnatica where you are outside and in the deep ocean quite a bit. It’s short compared to subnatica, a horror game and linear though.

For older games I can only think of echo the dolphin or submarine sims.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's plenty of games, but not necessarily big-name big-budget ones.

Aquaria was fun when it came out, AquaNox is still in development, and I've seen several chill/ambient indie diving games whose names escape me in the past.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

DropsySufferer posted:

For older games I can only think of echo the dolphin or submarine sims.

AquaNox 1 and 2 and their predecessor "Archimedean Dynasty" come to mind. Think "Privateer" but with submarines on post-apocaliyptic earth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If I had more money than sense, I’d buy Ghost Leviathan this as an avatar and text.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
For the first part of E.V.O. for the SNES you play as a fish.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

There’s Abzû, which is a really chill and atmospheric underwater experience with some light puzzle elements.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Ambaire posted:

This is what I consider to be aberrant play, no (or few) normal users will intentionally delay fixing the radio until after disabling the platform. It's worthwhile to spend resources to secure things so that a user in an aberrant situation won't break the game, it's even worth it (frequently) to put cool polish on that security. What it's not worth it to do, usually, and especially for a team/project of this size, is to put a lot of resources into securing that stuff.

I'm usually not a fan of Schrodinger design solutions, but in this case I give it a pass.

In W3, the major dilemma in Velen, how to deal with the crones and the tree spirit, can be completely derailed by doing things out of order, and a decent number of non-aberrant players will; so it's totally secured in such a way that if players do that, they get a slightly different outcome. But even in a game like W3, those outcomes are just a remix of states and scenes that already exist in the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Endless Ocean is a forgotten but key example for aquatic-based games.

Also I remember back in the PS1 era there was a game where you played as a submarine pilot in a micro-world where things like human coins were giant treasures.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Speaking of underwater games, In Other Waters released a couple days ago. It is good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Foglet posted:

Speaking of underwater games, In Other Waters released a couple days ago. It is good.

I hear good things about it, but while I respect the style they are going with, I feel that it is exactly this sort of game where I want to be able to see interesting alien creatures.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Oasx posted:

I hear good things about it, but while I respect the style they are going with, I feel that it is exactly this sort of game where I want to be able to see interesting alien creatures.
You can, in a limited manner; a sketch is unlocked after you complete all research on a species.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Song of the Deep is another underwater game, from 2016. Loosely a Metroidvania.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Bought this game during early access but never got around to playing until yesterday. I played 6 hours straight until I had to stop because of motion sickness (around the time I got the Seamoth), lol. I've been missing out.

I'm finally at the point where I'm looking to build a base. I don't want to spoil too much or rely too much on guides, but can anyone give vague tips on choosing where to build? I found out the place I started building is called Sparse Reef, and that's probably not a great choice going by the name, even if there's a lot of space. Not too late to relocate.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

gandlethorpe posted:

Bought this game during early access but never got around to playing until yesterday. I played 6 hours straight until I had to stop because of motion sickness (around the time I got the Seamoth), lol. I've been missing out.

I'm finally at the point where I'm looking to build a base. I don't want to spoil too much or rely too much on guides, but can anyone give vague tips on choosing where to build? I found out the place I started building is called Sparse Reef, and that's probably not a great choice going by the name, even if there's a lot of space. Not too late to relocate.

It mostly doesn't matter where you build your base, if you use thermal plants for power it is useful to build it near a geyser, otherwise just build it where you like or think looks pretty.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Hwurmp posted:

I always like to set up over one of the jellyshroom cave entrances. I'm not sure which one is best if any but they're all right next door to four or five different biomes, and not too far from the safe shallows geyser if you need a little extra power. I call it Jelly Shroom Junction. :kiddo:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just noticed the perrrfect spot for baby's first base when I was just wrapping up my game. It's at the edge of the Safe shallows, over a geothermal spot (!!), bordering two biomes (red grass and something else). Was ticked at how perfect it was and totally useless to me then. Anyone else know the spot? I think it was north-ish of the lifepod.

Generally there's no *wrong* spot for a base, I think most people including myself just shoved it right next to the lifepod because why not. Made things a bit awkward later because of how shallow it was, so maybe pick a spot ~50m deep or so?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

I just noticed the perrrfect spot for baby's first base when I was just wrapping up my game. It's at the edge of the Safe shallows, over a geothermal spot (!!), bordering two biomes (red grass and something else). Was ticked at how perfect it was and totally useless to me then. Anyone else know the spot? I think it was north-ish of the lifepod.

Generally there's no *wrong* spot for a base, I think most people including myself just shoved it right next to the lifepod because why not. Made things a bit awkward later because of how shallow it was, so maybe pick a spot ~50m deep or so?

Fairly certain that is where I set up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I prefer bases at the edge of the red grass zones, because it tends to provide neat vistas and is sufficiently high for solar power to still be useful*

* if all else fails, extend the base above the water and build a platform with solar panels there.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

double nine posted:

I prefer bases at the edge of the red grass zones, because it tends to provide neat vistas and is sufficiently high for solar power to still be useful*

* if all else fails, extend the base above the water and build a platform with solar panels there.

I usually build a Red Grass base, fun area that's very peaceful.

I also usually build one at the Tree Cove in the lost river.

Its safe, very peaceful and can be used as supply storage if you go mining around or stock up for the lava zone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The problem with red grass bases I have found unfortunately is that reef backs will embed themselves in your base and so you get long low EXTREMELY LOUD HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMS when traipsing around your base

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I generally explore until I've scanned the moon pool, build one as the starting point of my base and put a ring of ~10 solar panels around the top of it, then extend multipurpose rooms off the side of the moon pool that I disembark onto when docking with the seamoth. Reinforcements go on the 45 degree sides of the multipurpose rooms.

And then I set up scanner rooms around the area every 600-800m or so to show the terrain and scan for stuff, with 4 range upgrades, entry port on one side and 3 solar panels on top.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Captain Invictus posted:

The problem with red grass bases I have found unfortunately is that reef backs will embed themselves in your base and so you get long low EXTREMELY LOUD HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMS when traipsing around your base

Yeah this drove me crazy. They mixed that noise so loud that eventually I turned on instagib and cleared them out with a knife.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Serephina posted:

That's the northern safe shallows geyser. Right next to Kelp Forest and Grassy Plateaus. It's a little bit south by southeast (or towards the Aurora-ish) from Lifepod 3, so if you find that lifepod and head towards the aurora, look out for an intersection of those three biomes and the sound of the geyser.

The southern safe shallows geyser is also a good place to put a base, though it's not quite bordering three biomes like the north is. On the other hand it's not too far from a good entrance to the Jelly Shroom Caves. It's directly east from the aurora, outside of the radiation zone. If you line up so that the left side of the aurora and it's engines are 'pointing' at you you'll be in the ballpark to swim away and look/listen for the geyser. It's near a large wreck in the safe shallows.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 6, 2020

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

gandlethorpe posted:

Don't worry too much about getting the "perfect" place. You will likely have multiple bases -- I had 4 major ones by endgame -- and you can deconstruct base components for a 100% component refund. I'm a bit shocked you didn't build a base in the Safe Shallows. 6 hours is a very long time to go without a real base.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

guppy posted:

Don't worry too much about getting the "perfect" place. You will likely have multiple bases -- I had 4 major ones by endgame -- and you can deconstruct base components for a 100% component refund. I'm a bit shocked you didn't build a base in the Safe Shallows. 6 hours is a very long time to go without a real base.

I didn't realize a base could be made of just tubes, so I didn't try until I unlocked a room. I managed with just the escape pod and storage lunchboxes for a while, lol. v:kiddo:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ohhhh, gently caress those lunchboxes. The really great news? You can't recycle the fuckers. Once your base is up just throw them in the trash. Where they belong.

Man, doing a no-base no-vehicle run of Subnautica sounds like it'd be a rad as hell challenge. The first few moments of the game where the best (aside from thirst and storage), maintaining that level of vulnerability would be cool and help keep the tension up.