Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

it's deliberate policy to try to keep the language alive.

Nah, it's just racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

My favourite part of the CORONA CRIME fast-track legislation, apart from increasing the penalty for loving wearing a mask in public, was MPs arguing there was no such thing as a trivial matter when it came to stealing sanitizer, who had themselves been stealing sanitizer from parliament.
Aahahahaha, loving what? Really? That's so loving typical. Hypocrisy is the one thing politicians are best at, isn't it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SplitSoul posted:

Nah, it's just racism.

the two motives aren't in conflict in this instance

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

D. Ebdrup posted:

Aahahahaha, loving what? Really? That's so loving typical. Hypocrisy is the one thing politicians are best at, isn't it.

Søren Søndergaard pointed it out during the debate.

Somebody in the GBS COVID thread asked a relevant question. Do you get quadruple punishment for stealing sanitizer in a "ghetto"?

V. Illych L. posted:

the two motives aren't in conflict in this instance

One is just an excuse for the other. The government has actively removed translations from public websites in the past decade, even English translations are usually sparse. Translators are no longer free when it comes to medical treatment, but have to be paid for out of pocket. Even when it could save the lives of their own citizens during a pandemic, they refuse to provide translation, because gently caress 'em.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 4, 2020

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Inte för att gå full Rooder här men

https://twitter.com/Phineas/status/1221598425290039296

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Social distancing, improved hygiene and travel restrioctions help mitigate the spread of the disease. This in turn saves lives. It's not as effective as early testing and quarantine, which countries should also be doing, but it takes a lot of mental gymnastics to see it as generational/racial/class politics.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Generational politics are real, and based in the material reality that lead poisoning causes serious permanent cognitive damage, especially in children. For politics, the increase in antisocial behavior should be an obvious concern, and something Baby Boomers, who grew up in a world with elevated levels of lead in the air, would be far more a victim of than later generations. From its peak in 1977, lead concentrations in Copenhagen fell to less than 40% by 1987, and 1% in 1997.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SplitSoul posted:

Søren Søndergaard pointed it out during the debate.

Somebody in the GBS COVID thread asked a relevant question. Do you get quadruple punishment for stealing sanitizer in a "ghetto"?

One is just an excuse for the other. The government has actively removed translations from public websites in the past decade, even English translations are usually sparse. Translators are no longer free when it comes to medical treatment, but have to be paid for out of pocket. Even when it could save the lives of their own citizens during a pandemic, they refuse to provide translation, because gently caress 'em.

idk i think language policy might be more serious in norway than in denmark, but the english-language thing is clearly a general strategy to have stuff in norwegian as much as possible - the 'good' immigrants all speak english, after all, makes no sense to be racist against brits and yanks

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Pinging Alhazred

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Zombiepop posted:

LOL looks like many swedes in this thread yearns for a big-daddy lockdown, not surprised.

I think those yearning for a locked-down Sweden are Danes actually.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

I think those yearning for a locked-down Sweden are Danes actually.

Guilty as charged.

e: I'd also like Denmark to pass better containment measures: Banning social visits for non-singles, banning parties, restrict (urban) outdoor activity*, stricter distance measures for public transport, enforced quarantine for those returning from travel, temperature-checks on border entry, temperature-checks when shopping, ban on multiple people from a household entering a store, banning singing and loud conversation outside of homes, enforced masks outside of home, enforced distancing in workplaces, enforced no-talking for anyone working with food preparation, harsh punishment for leaving the household with active symptoms, limits on the number of daily shopping trips, etc.

* exercise is good - but keep a good distance - don't jog on the sidewalk in densely populated areas and don't take your family of 5 on a stroll

This isn't about police state fever dreams - but people are dumb, and don't understand we need to buy time. So many people are going "oh well, we all need to get infected - so it's just a matter of planning a safe rate of spread." NO! It's too early for that. Way too early.

So it's not even about flattening the curve. We need to keep a clear of disaster mode while we learn at least about this virus. The degree to which we don't understand it is very poorly communicated. We have constant discoveries regarding transmission, pathophysiology, treatments, risk factors, etc. This time can also be used to expand capacity, secure additional supplies and train personnel.

Once we actually know what we're dealing with, we can relax containment measures. And the economy argument is dumb. The Spanish Flu showed a positive correlation between economic recovery and harshness of measures - and additionally, the measures I listed are all irrelevant to the economy. They limit social activity and are incredibly annoying for most people - but a lot of work is still perfectly viable and so is consumption. I guess I'm colored by my disdain and disagreement with the emphasis on demand put forth by most mainstream economists. As long as we keep supply up - demand is trivial - just give money to the poor. Bam. Instant demand. That leaves the collapse of companies who deal in "crowd" entertainment and close personal contact (hairdressers, masseurs, physiotherapists, etc.) We can keep those alive with government subsidies (for the small businesses) and loans (for corporations - with provisions preventing dividends and requiring equity escrow).

This is perfectly doable. The only thing we need is for people to just loving accept they have to do without social activity for a while and can't do their daily instagram routines or whatever it is that makes it imperative do constantly do poo poo out and about. We can save thousands of lives and even take the time to do some housecleaning in the economy, creating stimulus from the bottom for once rather than the usual dumb top-down idiocy.

It sucks I can't visit my family, but I realize it's a small sacrifice for the greater good. How can people be this dumb? And the media is dumber than usual - goading people on and creating a narrative of inevitable herd immunity - and heavily lobbying for a reopening. Bah. We need more time.

All these idiots are going to have blood on their hands if the result is a reopening after Easter. Heck, they already have blood on their hands from the idiotic lack of action when the infect ski tourists were just let loose. Hats off to Wammen, that he tried to get them contained back then. Sucks that our health authorities are so arrogant and dumb.

In good news, I was selected by the University of Copenhagen and Danmarks Statistik for a survey on the crisis. It had bias though, questions skewed towards "how to save the economy" and whether to relax measures.

PederP fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 4, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lol

https://twitter.com/stefanrunfeldt/status/1246495333955313666

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Looks like the Swedish government is finally reacting to the crisis, especially when a total of 370 people have succumbed to the virus so far, or, according to news service TT's calculations that take in account delays in data gathering, about 750 people. Compare this to the 25 dead so far in Finland, and it's pretty clear Löfven had to change tactics and start introducing emergency laws.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mette Frederiksen's popularity has doubled. :suicide:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Looks like the Swedish government is finally reacting to the crisis, especially when a total of 370 people have succumbed to the virus so far, or, according to news service TT's calculations that take in account delays in data gathering, about 750 people. Compare this to the 25 dead so far in Finland, and it's pretty clear Löfven had to change tactics and start introducing emergency laws.

Counterpoint: Fins are too racist to travel outside Scandinavia and also too racist to let people into their country. Giving them a critical head start on infection numbers.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

So how come scandinavians just give no fucks?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Fartbox posted:

Free healthcare.

Sometimes Scandinavians just throw themselves in front of cars to use some of that sweet sweet free healthcare.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Fartbox posted:

Hubris, same as everywhere else.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Nah

https://twitter.com/UlfBjereld/status/1246743580712058885?s=19

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Katt posted:

Counterpoint: Fins are too racist to travel outside Scandinavia and also too racist to let people into their country. Giving them a critical head start on infection numbers.

Objection! We do travel to countries outside of Scandinavia, like Spain - where we have established finnish diasporas so you don't accidentally experience the local culture.

But on a serious note: take care Swedegoons. I know we like to poke fun at you guys, but we just do that coz we luv ya and your silly country.

v:v:v

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fartbox posted:

I've gotten the impression that most people here in Norway take this pretty seriously. But seems there's plenty of loving idiots. Assholes whose behavior could very well get people killed.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Mette Frederiksen's popularity has doubled. :suicide:

Well, she has done surprisingly well, so I think some of this is actually deserved. From deserving no popularity to deserving some popularity is more than a doubling!

I like that she told Søren Brostrøm that his early attempts to comfort the public ("No worries! Mortalities will mostly be among the old and weak.") were disrespectful. I also like that she went against the stupid health authorities when they insisted that an approach resembling that of Sweden should be adopted.

Now, I don't like her premature promises of reopening being right around the corner - and I really don't like her weird North Korea style seances with grateful and worshipful kids - but I think she's done far better than Lars Løkke would have in the same place. I'm extremely happy he's not in charge of this, because I suspect he would have made Trump look empathic in comparison and simply refuse to do anything which might lower GDP.

Randarkman posted:

I've gotten the impression that most people here in Norway take this pretty seriously. But seems there's plenty of loving idiots. Assholes whose behavior could very well get people killed.

Yes, when I was freaking out a few days ago due to crowding in the streets, someone calm me with an excellent point. In a densely populated city, a very low percentage of idiots will be extremely visible. Especially when so many are not at school/work. So I agree that most people take this very seriously.

Interestingly a study found that the age correlated negatively with how seriously this was considered. The youngest are, unlike popular belief, the ones who have the greatest acceptance of measures. The oldest have by far the highest percentage of people who found the measures hysterical. The distribution was not the "U" some have been claiming (ie zoomers and boomers are united in their recklessness) - it was a pretty straightforward correlation.

This means the whole "those darn party kids are getting granny killed!" thing is a distortion of reality - it's much more likely that granny gets grandpa killed by meeting up with her choir group and getting infected.

PederP fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 5, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Objection! We do travel to countries outside of Scandinavia, like Spain - where we have established finnish diasporas so you don't accidentally experience the local culture.
There are ghettos in Spain for just about every country in Northern Europe where old people live and avoid the local culture. From this I can only conclude that Spanish culture must really suck, cos you sure don't see exclusively Spanish communities in the UK or Norway.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PederP posted:

Well, she has done surprisingly well, so I think some of this is actually deserved. From deserving no popularity to deserving some popularity is more than a doubling!

From 39% to 79%.

She's the most openly racist PM this country has had in recent memory and even used this crisis to double down on racist policy to ensure support from DF, whom the Social Democrats have been trying to outbid on that front ever since she became leader. She has, with varying degrees of success, attempted the most far-reaching encroachments on civil rights since the Occupation, and not just as a response to the virus. As Minister of Employment, she was responsible for socially disasterous reforms that left the most vulnerable people in our society paying the price.

She deserves nothing. Being less of a bumbling fuckwit than Løkke is not a high bar to clear.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
In a country of millions of people, there's always going to be enough idiots breaking the rules that you can make a bunch of newspaper articles about them. On the whole, the rules seems to be adhered to pretty well.

That said, I did go out to a bar in Norway on friday. Even though me, my companion and the bar staff seemed to be following the rules, that didn't stop a drunken swedish guy from complimenting my mediocre beard by touching my face.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

There are ghettos in Spain for just about every country in Northern Europe where old people live and avoid the local culture. From this I can only conclude that Spanish culture must really suck, cos you sure don't see exclusively Spanish communities in the UK or Norway.

Any sane person thinks about emigrating from Sweden (and rest of Scandinavia) during November to February for very obvious reasons.
It is not so much immigrating to a new country like Spain as it is getting out of the dark, windy, rainy, cold hell otherwise known as winter in Scandinavia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PederP posted:

Interestingly a study found that the age correlated negatively with how seriously this was considered. The youngest are, unlike popular belief, the ones who have the greatest acceptance of measures. The oldest have by far the highest percentage of people who found the measures hysterical. The distribution was not the "U" some have been claiming (ie zoomers and boomers are united in their recklessness) - it was a pretty straightforward correlation.
This should not really comes as a surprise. As mentioned earlier, the older generation is literally brain damaged.

military cervix posted:

In a country of millions of people, there's always going to be enough idiots breaking the rules that you can make a bunch of newspaper articles about them. On the whole, the rules seems to be adhered to pretty well.

That said, I did go out to a bar in Norway on friday. Even though me, my companion and the bar staff seemed to be following the rules, that didn't stop a drunken swedish guy from complimenting my mediocre beard by touching my face.
"Why won't people respect the rules?" I say as a enjoy a refreshing alcoholic beverage at my local underground bar.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

most of norway's bars haven't actually been shut yet, only in a couple of municipalities afaik. i do know that bergen is keeping close tabs on it and shutting individual places as they fail to distance properly

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

In Gothenburg anyway it looks like lunch restaurant attendance dropped by something like 70% and everyone at the grocery store seems to keep a weary distance.

The staff at Jula and Biltema were all wearing gloves and seated behind a glass shield.

In the Biltema cafeteria they no longer had trays due to Corona so I had to put my 4 hot dogs on the table which seemed kind of.... uhhh. But I'm sure it makes sense on some level.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

How many bouncers do shops have in Norway/Sweden?

V. Illych L. posted:

most of norway's bars haven't actually been shut yet, only in a couple of municipalities afaik. i do know that bergen is keeping close tabs on it and shutting individual places as they fail to distance properly
What the hell does "distance properly" mean in an indoor place? Evidence from China shows people getting infected by individuals sitting half a bus length apart, and of course the virus can survive for days depending on the surface.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What the hell does "distance properly" mean in an indoor place? Evidence from China shows people getting infected by individuals sitting half a bus length apart, and of course the virus can survive for days depending on the surface.

2m distances apparently. everywhere i've been that's still open is adequately paranoid about cleaning surfaces

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cardiac posted:

Any sane person thinks about emigrating from Sweden (and rest of Scandinavia) during November to February for very obvious reasons.
It is not so much immigrating to a new country like Spain as it is getting out of the dark, windy, rainy, cold hell otherwise known as winter in Scandinavia.
Yeah, I know. :)

I have to say the winter here in Midt-Norge seems a lot shittier than when I lived in Tromsø. At least in the North it rarely rains and you have good ski conditions from November until June. Here it's mostly just rain, sleet, slush and ice - it's like being back in Scotland. I'm hoping the summers will make up for it but I'm not optimistic.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Fram paa vetteren stundom han tenkte:
gjev eg var i eit varmare land!
Men naar vaarsol i bakkarne blenkte,
fekk han hug til si heimlege strand.

Og naar liderne grønkar som hagar,
naar den laver av blomar paa straa,
og naar næter er ljose som dagar,
kan han ingenstad vænare sjaa.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This should not really comes as a surprise. As mentioned earlier, the older generation is literally brain damaged.

"Why won't people respect the rules?" I say as a enjoy a refreshing alcoholic beverage at my local underground bar.

"Why won't people respect the rules?" I say, as I very clearly demonstrate that I have no idea what the rules are.

Edit: I'll expand on this. While most establishments are closed, bars that can set it up so that tables are well spaced are allowed to stay open. I think this is a pretty reasonable rule considering the level of virus spread in the population. (One could reasonably argue that the situation should be different in Oslo.) I don't feel bad about sitting in a corner in a bar drinking a beer with my partner. This is not reckless behavior.

military cervix fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 5, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

military cervix posted:

"Why won't people respect the rules?" I say, as I very clearly demonstrate that I have no idea what the rules are.
I am pretty sure you were hanging out in a speakeasy.

military cervix posted:

Edit: I'll expand on this. While most establishments are closed, bars that can set it up so that tables are well spaced are allowed to stay open. I think this is a pretty reasonable rule considering the level of virus spread in the population. (One could reasonably argue that the situation should be different in Oslo.) I don't feel bad about sitting in a corner in a bar drinking a beer with my partner. This is not reckless behavior.
It is reckless beyond belief. Alcohol encourages lazy and reckless behavior, the exact opposite of what you'd want when trying to not catch a disease. Moreover, it makes you more susceptible to infection, not to mention the fact that it increases your chance of coming into direct contact with drunks who care even less than yourself about your health. You might as well just go around frenching strangers.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It is reckless beyond belief. Alcohol encourages lazy and reckless behavior, the exact opposite of what you'd want when trying to not catch a disease. Moreover, it makes you more susceptible to infection, not to mention the fact that it increases your chance of coming into direct contact with drunks who care even less than yourself about your health. You might as well just go around frenching strangers.

Keeps the corona out of my liver.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

In Gothenburg anyway it looks like lunch restaurant attendance dropped by something like 70% and everyone at the grocery store seems to keep a weary distance.

The staff at Jula and Biltema were all wearing gloves and seated behind a glass shield.

In the Biltema cafeteria they no longer had trays due to Corona so I had to put my 4 hot dogs on the table which seemed kind of.... uhhh. But I'm sure it makes sense on some level.

Can confirm the lunch resturant attendance have died, our local resturant in the building have closed up completely due to lack of customers.

However, my local grocery store still have the same amount of people and idiots still cue up at the one staffed checkout without any hint of social distancing, this despite the 8 self checkouts being mostly empty right there next to them... Though none of the closest stores have closed their "pick yourself lunch" sections the large one have at least stopped with food samples.

Also, one and a half week ago nobody seemed to acknowledge social distancing on the bus or tram, but public transport were at least not crowded. Dont know how it has been since then because i have done my part for global warming and car commuted to work.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

In some great irony the ICA self scanning touch screen works questionably with gloves on. That thing must be 80% corona virus material masquerading as electronic equipment at this point.

Seriously spill some hand sanitizer on it and I bet it melts like meringue.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

just don't touch ur faces after you touch something else mates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

if someone coughs on you simply destroy them