Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ghostlight posted:

uncompressing audio requires cpu cycles which means you have less resources to send things to the graphics card, so it's a pretty easy cut when you're being asked to produce games with cutting-edge graphics for hardware that is several years old and even on release featured a cpu that reflected the need for that hardware to produce profit on a specific price point well below the cost of a consumer pc.
Hmm, good point, I didn't think of that. Decompressing a single audio file isn't a big deal, but a PS4 has like, what, 32 audio channels or more these days, all of which often run various audio snippets and background chatter? That would add up very fast, even if it's only like one point five to three percent CPU load per individual audio snippet that has to be processed. And PCs don't even have limitations on audio channels at all.

Yeah, I could see that playing into it quite a bit.

ZearothK posted:

Re: file sizes. Back when Steam started I remember noises about users eventually choosing what texture sizes they'd download as well as audio languages, but I guess broadband and later fiber became more common and studios decided not to bother?
Texture sizes are a comparatively small portion of the download volume anyway, so I guess maybe they decided that in the face of ballooning game sizes in general, it would be a drop in the bucket.

Plus, the devs and publishers would have to be willing to provide special file packages for each level of texture quality, because these days, those are usually bundled into big package files instead of being individually accessible, and I guess the publishers just don't think it's worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Calladuty admitted they were paying zero attention to reusable assets (and more specifically had zero development practices and zero technical ability to use it in a space saving way) and on second thought their 190GB was obnoxiously duplicated data and said they might think about how to avoid it in the sequels maybe.

There's a lot of bad compromises to be made doing size management for cheap and a lot of expensive technical overhead to do it right but I hope they start paying attention soon. I guess it could be worse as the worst size queens are games that live and die on their texture and model work and there's a lot of good stylized indies that run 1-15 GB and still look fine.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Life is Strange 1 was about two kooky fun teens who solve crimes and mess with the space-time continuum.

Life is Strange 2 is about two angry depressed brothers who go on the run and suffer at the hands of institutional racism.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

hi i love kassandra please stick more priceless rocks up sheep's bums thanks

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Life is Strange 1 was about two kooky fun teens who solve crimes and mess with the space-time continuum.

Life is Strange 2 is about two angry depressed brothers who go on the run and suffer at the hands of institutional racism.

For whatever reason after having played Ep1 of LiS2, I have an easier time relating to single child white potentially lesbian girl than I do latino older brother. Maybe it's because I'm white with no siblings.

Also it's way more interesting to have the MC have the superpowers rather than some NPC.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
So I've played some more Demoncrawl and I have never been so engrossed with Minesweeper in my life. Sometimes the RNG will screw you over - par for the course when it comes to rougelikes - which is why instead of trying not make a mistake, you're trying to mitigate potential mistakes as much as possible. It's definitely worth checking out because if it clicks for you, we're talking Slay the Spire levels of "one more try" here.

The music is also something else.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Got some Steam credits and Sunset Overdrive looks fun and bright and wacky, sort of like a cross between Saints Row + Infamous? Or that's what it looks like to me with the power line riding. Not sure if that's a good buy or if I should hang onto my credits.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artelier posted:

Got some Steam credits and Sunset Overdrive looks fun and bright and wacky, sort of like a cross between Saints Row + Infamous? Or that's what it looks like to me with the power line riding. Not sure if that's a good buy or if I should hang onto my credits.

The idea of Sunset Overdrive is a great deal more fun than the reality, I would pass on it except for genuinely free.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Orv posted:

The idea of Sunset Overdrive is a great deal more fun than the reality, I would pass on it except for genuinely free.

It's a great fit for a platform like Game Pass, and since it was published by Xbox Game Studios I think you can expect it to be on there forever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

hi i love kassandra please stick more priceless rocks up sheep's bums thanks

She's wonderful and I want to be her friend

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The most endearing thing about Kassandra is that she ain't too bright from a character perspective so it's actually plausible that you continually find yourself in harm's way. In most RPGs there's usually some disconnect between the intellect of the main character compared to the amount of times they willingly throw themselves into danger but Kass being kinda dumb works in her favor.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

zedprime posted:

Calladuty admitted they were paying zero attention to reusable assets (and more specifically had zero development practices and zero technical ability to use it in a space saving way) and on second thought their 190GB was obnoxiously duplicated data and said they might think about how to avoid it in the sequels maybe.

There's a lot of bad compromises to be made doing size management for cheap and a lot of expensive technical overhead to do it right but I hope they start paying attention soon. I guess it could be worse as the worst size queens are games that live and die on their texture and model work and there's a lot of good stylized indies that run 1-15 GB and still look fine.

Acitivision don't care. They've got a captive audience.

It's a little nuts that a launch PS4 has 400GB of storage and a single game today can take up half of that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

exquisite tea posted:

The most endearing thing about Kassandra is that she ain't too bright from a character perspective so it's actually plausible that you continually find yourself in harm's way. In most RPGs there's usually some disconnect between the intellect of the main character compared to the amount of times they willingly throw themselves into danger but Kass being kinda dumb works in her favor.

*Yes*. She's a hero in the ancient Greek sense of the word, someone intensely passionate and dangerous who's less a saviour and more an ambulatory hurricane.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Which is really quite a lot like regular hurricanes, when you think about it.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Wow, the bosses in Kiwami 1 are total dogshit damage sponges. I think I'll play this one on easy, it feels more like Yakuza 0 that way.
Majima everywhere is loving amazing though, I have had so many surprise guffaws.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tripwood posted:

Wow, the bosses in Kiwami 1 are total dogshit damage sponges. I think I'll play this one on easy, it feels more like Yakuza 0 that way.
Majima everywhere is loving amazing though, I have had so many surprise guffaws.

I don't think the game tells you this but when bosses do their regen bullshit you can cancel it with any heat move, not just the special Kiwami moves that you may or may not have yet.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Farming Simulator 2019 Tournament. Because we all need this in our lives!

https://www.twitch.tv/giantssoftware

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PowerBeard posted:

Farming Simulator 2019 Tournament. Because we all need this in our lives!

https://www.twitch.tv/giantssoftware

This is kind of amazing. Also Farming Simulator is sneaky super fun and addictive and has a crazy good modding scene.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
God now I want to get back into Farming Sim but there's so many other games to play.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So this came up in a Discord discussion today, but what's the name of the Egyptian or Mesopotamian city builder that was coming out this year/came out recently? The one like the old Caesar games.

Is it any good?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

So this came up in a Discord discussion today, but what's the name of the Egyptian or Mesopotamian city builder that was coming out this year/came out recently? The one like the old Caesar games.

Is it any good?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/818520/Builders_of_Egypt/

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is it any good?

Builders of Egypt, presumably. It's more like Children of the Nile than an Impressions game (an almost meaningless distinction unless you super give a poo poo) and from the previews I read a while back it's got a ways to go before it offers anything over that old game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Orv posted:

Builders of Egypt, presumably. It's more like Children of the Nile than an Impressions game (an almost meaningless distinction unless you super give a poo poo) and from the previews I read a while back it's got a ways to go before it offers anything over that old game.

So I googled after I posted and I was actually thinking of Nebuchadnezzar, but awesome to know there's more than one.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

tripwood posted:

Despite opinions on YK1, Majima Everywhere made it so worth it.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DefensiveBriefEmeraldtreeskink-mobile.mp4

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

So I googled after I posted and I was actually thinking of Nebuchadnezzar, but awesome to know there's more than one.

Oh huh yep that sure is. Awesome.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Speaking of Yakuza, I finally started Kiwami 2 and I can't beat the first boss even on easy :aslol: From my previous experience with Kiwami I'd say I forgot to buy some essential skill because the fight requires me to be on the loving ball instead of just going ham and mashing keys.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
IMO Kiwami 1 bosses weren't too bad (or as bad as everyone says) outside a few special cases, but I did a lot of side stuff, so I got plenty of upgrades and as able to destroy most of them relatively quickly.

Not the best system, but I expected much worse.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Killing *loor 2: 7QN6P-B508X-9*3RC

Dang someone already snagged this :smith:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm really trying to get into this expanded Xen experience in Black Mesa, but i'm beginning to see why Valve never bothered to expand it.

The endless caves and underwater sequences are like the equivalent of a sewers stage in space. It's just so boring after a while compared to main half-life game.

It's not helped by the puzzles the devs put in being kind of obtuse or having two chase sequences that are basically the same thing. It was pretty (at the beginning) but now it's just a slog.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

I'm really trying to get into this expanded Xen experience in Black Mesa, but i'm beginning to see why Valve never bothered to expand it.

The endless caves and underwater sequences are like the equivalent of a sewers stage in space. It's just so boring after a while compared to main half-life game.

It's not helped by the puzzles the devs put in being kind of obtuse or having two chase sequences that are basically the same thing. It was pretty (at the beginning) but now it's just a slog.
Interloper?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Kin posted:

Could've been much shorter indeed. Nihilant fight is better and the known parts are too, but it's way too long. Especially Interloper.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hah, yeah that's exactly where i am.

Just at the bit after i powered up 3 sets of platforms and at a section where i'm having to jump up even more platforms to get sucked into a wall vent.

Now i'm looking at another loving 'plug-power-into-things' puzzle where one of the power sockets is behind a spinning set of somethings and all effort has drained out of me to try and figure out how this bloody one is solved.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is anyone else having connection issues with Steam right now?

e: never mind, it's working again. No idea what the problem was.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 5, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
5 hours into The Witness and I think it's starting to fray at the seams a bit. It started strong, with teaching scenarios for its (one, singular, loving-) mechanic and some blurbs both praising god and condemning religion. The puzzles started getting harder and more sideways thinking, which is good, but also started getting stupid; like, try to decipher notes that we're playing sounds over, or memorize-this moments. And the blurbs lost all focus, and now see to be some sort of grab-bag of meaningful sounding long rambling speeches that they scraped from wherever they could in the public domain.

Does the game pull it together soon? Because at the moment its seeming like a knock off of Talos Principle, but lacking all charm or stimulation.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

5 hours into The Witness and I think it's starting to fray at the seams a bit. It started strong, with teaching scenarios for its (one, singular, loving-) mechanic and some blurbs both praising god and condemning religion. The puzzles started getting harder and more sideways thinking, which is good, but also started getting stupid; like, try to decipher notes that we're playing sounds over, or memorize-this moments. And the blurbs lost all focus, and now see to be some sort of grab-bag of meaningful sounding long rambling speeches that they scraped from wherever they could in the public domain.

Does the game pull it together soon? Because at the moment its seeming like a knock off of Talos Principle, but lacking all charm or stimulation.

You can honestly ignore any of the philosophical stuff, it really doesn't matter to any of the puzzles. Just focus on it as a puzzle game and if you're still not enjoying it you don't have to continue. From what I remember the area puzzles are reasonably independant so if you get stuck in one area you can go to a different one. Also if the sound puzzle is the one I think it is I also got stuck on it for a while, the answer kinda annoyed me but figuring out on my own felt really good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's a really good puzzle game made by an artist with a particular vision. You can take or leave that vision if you want, it's still a great puzzle game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I got most of the way through The Witness and then stopped because I got stuck on the few remaining puzzles, and with nothing else left to do and the charm of wandering around the same areas over and over wearing thin, I ended up just fizzling out and never finishing it. For a really well done open-world puzzle game (though not the same type of puzzles as the Witness as it's more adventure game style) check out Supraland. It's a silly Metroidvania that managed to engage me enough that it became the only game on Steam that I actually got all the achievements for. It's by the guy that made the Notpron flash puzzle game from back in the day if anyone remembers that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Now i'm looking at another loving 'plug-power-into-things' puzzle where one of the power sockets is behind a spinning set of somethings and all effort has drained out of me to try and figure out how this bloody one is solved.
Good news, you've still got more than 2/3rds of the level before you!

I really liked most of Black Mesa but Interloper soiled the entire experience. The final boss is cool though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It took me five hours to make it off of the first island in AssCreed Odyssey and make it to Megaris. That included exploration, sidequests, and enjoying ocean combat.

Jesus christ. I knew this game was huge but it's really gobsmacking how giant the map is, the scale of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It took me five hours to make it off of the first island in AssCreed Odyssey and make it to Megaris. That included exploration, sidequests, and enjoying ocean combat.

Jesus christ. I knew this game was huge but it's really gobsmacking how giant the map is, the scale of it.

It's amazingly big. And there's stuff absolutely everywhere, even out in the middle of the ocean they've dotted rare ships to find and fight, so there's always something to reward exploring. You can also sequence break the poo poo out of quests by doing stuff like accidentally finding and killing a guy before you even know about the quest and you'll still get rewards whenever you eventually stumble across the questgiver.