Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

god damnit my saves keep erasing themselves

this is so not rip and tear

your saves are being ripped and torn obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

TaurusOxford posted:

I thought that was made abundantly clear when Hayden was saying that it would take time to figure out how to get to Sentinel Prime and Slayer immediately came up the plan of just firing the BFG-10k at Mars to get access to a portal there.

Which led to possibly my favourite line in the entire game -

Hayden: "You can't just blow a hole in a planet!"

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Finally at the endgame on HMP...these archviles are kicking my rear end. Is there any decent strategy for them, or should I just always BFG the fuckers?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Crustashio posted:

Finally at the endgame on HMP...these archviles are kicking my rear end. Is there any decent strategy for them, or should I just always BFG the fuckers?

Is it the Archvile itself or the SUPER DEMONS it summons? Because you can halt the summoning by dealing heavy damage during it.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Crucible their rear end if you got it, BFG if you don't. If you have neither, shoot at them until they die (and blow up their fire barrier so they get staggered and don't summon poo poo).

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Always be faltering Archviles. By now you should have several sources of guaranteed falter - Upgraded frag grenade, Rocket Launcher Remote Det upgrade, I think Heat Blast does it? You've got a few options, always be hitting him with that the moment he tries to summon, and then get in his face with as much DPS as you can manage.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meathook + SSG + Bloodpunch + Ballista

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AirRaid posted:

Which led to possibly my favourite line in the entire game -

Hayden: "You can't just blow a hole in a planet!"

The only major failing is there's no real moment where Hayden just finally accepts Doom Guy's gonna do what he's gonna do and really his job is just to facilitate it. Really the only other major thing I remember is him telling the Slayer to not feel any guilt over loving up the Mayker homeworld because they brought it on themselves for making a deal with demons and it's like... Hayden... little bit of Irony in that statement mate.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Crustashio posted:

Freeze Grenades stops them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It was the monsters he spawns that were kicking my rear end (especially in the small arenas), did not realize you could stun him out of summoning. I normally never use the crucible so I will save it for his rear end when I can.

I never really considered it, but does the ice bomb work on them too?

edit ^^ NM, that answers that.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Crustashio posted:

It was the monsters he spawns that were kicking my rear end (especially in the small arenas), did not realize you could stun him out of summoning. I normally never use the crucible so I will save it for his rear end when I can.

I never really considered it, but does the ice bomb work on them too?

edit ^^ NM, that answers that.

By end game, I'm saving crucibles for Tyrants and Archviles and BFGs for Marauder's and it keeps the encounters in check so far.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Moola posted:

That's something else I dislike about the story, Doom Slayer has virtually no agency

You just do everything the robot voices tell you. He'd be absolutely completely lost without them

Yeah but the robot voices are his bitches so he has a lot of agency. He literally goes and grabs the limp busted body of Hayden and forces him to become his personal information assistant. They are just tools for the slayer

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Is this where we complain about the marauder? First fight took me a lot of tries on HMP even knowing what you're supposed to do.

I can get by pretty ok using a controller for the most part but the wheels kinda fall off when I'm staying relatively stationary to maintain range and have to sweep my aim fast if it jumps around.

Anyway not a super fun enemy given my skill and setup. Hopefully I'm learning the timing and don't have to dump down the difficulty next time I meet one in a real fight.

In other news the first part of Mars Core (up to landing on Mars) is cool and good and fun. Lots of good dumb doomguy stuff.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fartbox posted:

Yeah but the robot voices are his bitches so he has a lot of agency. He literally goes and grabs the limp busted body of Hayden and forces him to become his personal information assistant. They are just tools for the slayer

I think scene of him tossing Hayden’s Torso through the portal is highly under rated. He chucks him like someone throwing a garbage bag into a dumpster.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still convinced that the moment Hayden was hooked up to the Fortress of Doom he stopped being Samuel Hayden and fully remembered his existence as the Seraphim Samur Maykr.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

OK, I've come to accept the Marauder, and while it's still a pain in the rear end to deal with, at least I've learned how to do it consistently; a couple of Ballista shots does the trick in a reasonable amount of time. Still, as far as the "drop everything and kill this guy ASAP" enemies go, Marauders just make the game grind to a screeching halt. Archviles are easier to deal with in comparison, and you don't have to focus 100% on them; Marauders and their dogs are on your rear end relentlessly and their small windows of opportunity for damage mean they need your full attention, or they WILL ruin you.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

OK, I've come to accept the Marauder, and while it's still a pain in the rear end to deal with, at least I've learned how to do it consistently; a couple of Ballista shots does the trick in a reasonable amount of time. Still, as far as the "drop everything and kill this guy ASAP" enemies go, Marauders just make the game grind to a screeching halt. Archviles are easier to deal with in comparison, and you don't have to focus 100% on them; Marauders and their dogs are on your rear end relentlessly and their small windows of opportunity for damage mean they need your full attention, or they WILL ruin you.

If/when you start playing on Ultra-Violent and Nightmare, not devoting 100% of your time and attention to an Archvile is one of the best ways of getting loving demolished.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ironically, I always save the marauders for last since I found that moving full speed around the arena lets you outpace them just barely enough to keep them from attacking. Also trying to get close and bait them into doing their counterable attack tended to open me up to getting hit by everything else on the map.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Ironically, I always save the marauders for last since I found that moving full speed around the arena lets you outpace them just barely enough to keep them from attacking. Also trying to get close and bait them into doing their counterable attack tended to open me up to getting hit by everything else on the map.

This is generally my approach too. I'll fire off some rockets or grenades in their direction but a running Marauder is a disabled Marauder

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If/when you start playing on Ultra-Violent and Nightmare, not devoting 100% of your time and attention to an Archvile is one of the best ways of getting loving demolished.

I don't think I actually killed a single Archvile without using the Crucible (besides the first and only pre-crucible Archvile).

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yeah they're pretty easy to play keepaway from while you focus on the higher priority threats like Archviles, which always get a kiss from the Crucible

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

but why bother, the unmaykr sucks

Despite the Unmaykr being anemic as all hell I'm just stoked to see DOOM64 getting the love and recognition it deserves in tyool 2020.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

Despite the Unmaykr being anemic as all hell I'm just stoked to see DOOM64 getting the love and recognition it deserves in tyool 2020.

^

I’d love to see the blue imps make an appearance in DLC.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Loved the final boss.

Marauders are complete bullshit and the sword should destroy their shields and the BFG should just one shot them.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Katt posted:

Loved the final boss.

Marauders are complete bullshit and the sword should destroy their shields and the BFG should just one shot them.

BFG kills Marauders. Just stagger them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Escape Goat posted:

^

I’d love to see the blue imps make an appearance in DLC.

they exist now they're called prowlers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know if you all know this but Doom Eternal? It's good

And it fits on my ssd

And I'm rippin and tearin

It's pretty annoying I can't just glory kill the lovely regular zombies though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/jeans_tv/status/1246439163391508482?s=21

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

It's pretty annoying I can't just glory kill the lovely regular zombies though.

Dash into them twice? Shoot them a bit?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Speaking of which. Prowlers should have been differentiated better from imps somehow. Make them hot blue or something.
I've died several times because I was desperate for ammo and went to chainsaw what I thought was an imp but instead got stuck in a "not enough fuel" animation because it was actually a prowler.

EDIT: OOOOH so the dog only spawns if you shoot him in the shield. That explains it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

slow_twitch posted:

Dash into them twice? Shoot them a bit?

I mean immediately glory kill them. It feels like I should be able to.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I really don't like the fact that I unironically agree with this 100%. It's making me question some life choices here.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Only problem with this is too much dialog from the slayer.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Um excuse me but they are not blue.

Actually, a palette swap would help make them easier to distinguish.

Either way the prowler doesn’t capture the creep factor of the blue imps in doom 64.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Just finished playing against the khan Makyr, game bugged out and I couldn't grapple hook her regardless of distance. Will try again tomorrow.

Honestly enjoyed 2016 more at this stage. Eternal has great combat and level design (mostly) but I've been really unlucky with bugs and other frustrations. 2016 was a far smoother experience.

Gonna miss the meat hook in future games, too much fun

Szymanski fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

smug jeebus posted:

Only problem with this is too much dialog from the slayer.

Maybe he's checking to see if the Marauder has a hidden button that opens a secret.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

was this made by the red text av guy lol???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I would also like to add the lack of agency when your told that you need to somehow get to the center of Mars, and the rest of the level is, "No you cant do that!"