Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't stand Natalie Portman but her standard po faced acting worked well for Black Swan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought Annihilation was a really cool idea with a really terrible and boring script. I heard “Color out of Space” was a much better film from the same director, so I plan on watching that this week.

You are misinformed, Annihilation was Alex Garland, CooS was Richard Stanley.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Orphan of CooS

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Natalie Portman was really good in Black Swan and Jackie O but miscast in a lot of other roles like Annihilation and V for Vendetta. I just never buy her as some badass paramilitary type in the same way I completely believe Charlize Theron could kill me in at least 12 ways.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How do you defeat the dude in the mech, it's a loving nightmare. I managed to get him out of the mech exactly once

The good ol' circle strafing while keeping medium distance from him when not attacking. And watching out for flamethrower. What exactly is killing you?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I almost forgot she was in Jackie cause Mica Levy's score for that movie is so great, I like it more than her score for Under the Skin even. But the best part of Annihilation (and his new show, Devs), is Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury's scores, for both... like holy poo poo the music during *that scene* in Annihilation and also the music that plays right before she meets with the Russian guy in Devs are so well done and I hope Alex Garland knows this. Like, during that scene in Annihilation I was like these guys, but screaming and stoked af https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqN00W3Yy80&t=147s lmao 'like who was the composer in that, how you comin up with demon symphonies and poo poo'

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 5, 2020

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Finally got around to starting Days Gone, it's not bad so far, but I'm only 2 hours in. Not really sure if I'm gonna enjoy all the survivalist aspects. Is there a point in the game where you get enough upgrades and whatnot to where you can pretty much casually tackle side missions/tasks, and not have to worry about running out of supplies or fuel?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

JBP posted:

Seeing a lot of pretty heavy criticism for RE3 remake. Sounds like it isn't as aspirational as RE2 was.

So far I think it’s great. More of a propulsive gritty 80s action horror game than Resident Evil 2. Like, aesthetically, I know they both cut from the same cloth, but three is way more about barreling through scenarios like a madman (not in a Resi 6 way). I kinda think the team knew they didn’t have a lot of time to budget and set their sights on creating an experience they could do right with what they had.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Animal Crossing is walking through slipgates, it's exploring new worlds, new universes... I love it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BisterdDave posted:

Finally got around to starting Days Gone, it's not bad so far, but I'm only 2 hours in. Not really sure if I'm gonna enjoy all the survivalist aspects. Is there a point in the game where you get enough upgrades and whatnot to where you can pretty much casually tackle side missions/tasks, and not have to worry about running out of supplies or fuel?

I was about 75% of the way through before I took a break from it. I think I still found myself running out of kerosene for molotovs every now and again and the bike is kinda annoying cuz it always needs fuel even though fuel is pretty much everywhere. Still a good game though. Was enjoying it much more than I was expecting to

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

The good ol' circle strafing while keeping medium distance from him when not attacking. And watching out for flamethrower. What exactly is killing you?

His laser thingy I think. It's been a few weeks since I've gone back to it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

I almost forgot she was in Jackie cause Mica Levy's score for that movie is so great, I like it more than her score for Under the Skin even. But the best part of Annihilation (and his new show, Devs), is Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury's scores, for both...

Mica Levy is amazing. The Under The Skin OST is GOAT level (film is probably one of, if not the best, of the 2010s)
I saw Geoff Barrow with BEAK>> back in February at a gig (remember them?!). They were amazing live. Surprisingly funny.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

mysterious frankie posted:

So far I think it’s great. More of a propulsive gritty 80s action horror game than Resident Evil 2. Like, aesthetically, I know they both cut from the same cloth, but three is way more about barreling through scenarios like a madman (not in a Resi 6 way). I kinda think the team knew they didn’t have a lot of time to budget and set their sights on creating an experience they could do right with what they had.

Sounds like you could say the exact same thing about RE3 1999.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fridge corn posted:

I was about 75% of the way through before I took a break from it. I think I still found myself running out of kerosene for molotovs every now and again and the bike is kinda annoying cuz it always needs fuel even though fuel is pretty much everywhere. Still a good game though. Was enjoying it much more than I was expecting to

I'm seeing it can take close to 40 hours to beat, and I was just hoping I wouldn't be constantly scrounging for materials that whole time. Seems like it would be much more enjoyable if you get overpowered and could just barrel your way through hordes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Sounds like you could say the exact same thing about RE3 1999.

I never played the original, but if that’s so then lol.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Most of the maps are just RE2 environments and Nemesis is a copy pasted Tyrant. Oh, he has a tentacle, so new game I guess

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All I can imagine for an Re4 remake is the same game looking much better and Leon's got a Vanquish-Esq dodge roll now.

Still can't move and shoot though.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

The team rushed the game out so that there could be 1 last RE game on PS1 before the PS2 was released. They re-used as many assets as they could.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I feel like absolute garbage today and thought about buying something new and shiny because I have like $150 PlayStationBucks for some reason. My brain went straight to being stuck on “it is time to buy the Dark Souls remaster” and idk man this manic self sabotage poo poo ain’t cutting it someone grab me a ladder back to normalcy ASAP.

I’m not actually going to buy and attempt to get into Dark Souls again but who knows what kinds of games I’ll be into by the time 2020 is over :blastu:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m not actually going to buy and attempt to get into Dark Souls again but who knows what kinds of games I’ll be into by the time 2020 is over :blastu:

Do eeeet

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I feel like absolute garbage today and thought about buying something new and shiny because I have like $150 PlayStationBucks for some reason. My brain went straight to being stuck on “it is time to buy the Dark Souls remaster” and idk man this manic self sabotage poo poo ain’t cutting it someone grab me a ladder back to normalcy ASAP.

Thanks to quarantine I had the time to begin reading Bezerk last week and got through something like 120 chapters, so now I too have a strong urge to play Dark Souls.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Most of the maps are just RE2 environments and Nemesis is a copy pasted Tyrant. Oh, he has a tentacle, so new game I guess

BisterdDave posted:

The team rushed the game out so that there could be 1 last RE game on PS1 before the PS2 was released. They re-used as many assets as they could.

That makes sense. I remember at the time I was nuts about RE2 but kept putting off playing three, because it seemed like the same game as two, then Code: Veronica came out and I forgot all about It.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BisterdDave posted:

I'm seeing it can take close to 40 hours to beat, and I was just hoping I wouldn't be constantly scrounging for materials that whole time. Seems like it would be much more enjoyable if you get overpowered and could just barrel your way through hordes.

Idk haven't even gotten to the point of taking down hordes yet

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Kinda. Nemesis/Last Escape was meant to be a quick sideproject to bridge the gap to a real numbered sequel to RE2. Very good summary article here. Lots of things changed with the supposed "real sequel" (the RE3/RE4 that turned into Devil May Cry) and changes were made to Code Veronica for Dreamcast, so eventually Capcom decided to make it a numbered entry.

In short. RE3 was always scoped more as a stand-alone expansion or spinoff.

quote:

Notably, the game was originally intended to end at the Clock Tower following one final encounter with Nemesis. It might have taken the average player two or three hours to reach this point in the game and less during replays. As a result, Aoyama’s team added new locations, such as Raccoon City Park and the Dead Factory. Other existing areas were expanded with new rooms, as well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Echotic posted:

Bit of a weird request. Since being in lockdown, my friend and his partner and flatmate and I have been playing Fortnite every night due to its split screen + online nature. We're looking for other suggestions of games that can be played splitscreen online with 2-3 players on a single console. We just bought Rocket League to try and already have Borderlands. Just looking for some more variety. Preferably co-op but competitive isnt deal breaker.

Overcooked 2 is very silly fun, I've been playing it a ton with my gf

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BisterdDave posted:

you definitely get to this point, and yes it is fun. The whole game was surprisingly fun

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

bows1 posted:

you definitely get to this point, and yes it is fun. The whole game was surprisingly fun

That's good to hear. I know I'm in the early stages of the game, and they want you to struggle a bit. I'm just hoping for the same progression as Dying Light, where you start with nothing and encounters are more frustrating than anything, and then you get more upgrades/weapons and you start having fun and actively looking for encounters.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Echotic posted:

Bit of a weird request. Since being in lockdown, my friend and his partner and flatmate and I have been playing Fortnite every night due to its split screen + online nature. We're looking for other suggestions of games that can be played splitscreen online with 2-3 players on a single console. We just bought Rocket League to try and already have Borderlands. Just looking for some more variety. Preferably co-op but competitive isnt deal breaker.

Trickey towers is a great tetris like game with physics stacking, lots of fun local modes

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

DrNutt posted:

Every game after 4 should have had the briefcase inventory and every RE game after has been a failure for lack of it, no matter how good they were otherwise.

This. Also I love Death Stranding, but was incredibly disappointed it didn’t actually have 3D inventory Tetris.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sekiro has the best hitbox detection I've ever seen.

Except for some of the grabs (e.g. Chained Ogre) are practically AOE grabs. I’ve been grabbed by the ogre while standing behind him. Everything else is amazing.

Also really enjoying R3make. I didn’t play the original and have not played R2make yet. It’s tight focus is great for the “I’m quarantined with my 3 year old, what is free time?” life style

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

R2make is incredible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

40 hours is the hltb time for no side content. Its a 50-70 hour game if you do other stuff

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I've beat Bloodborne, Sekiro and DS3. Should I get DS Remastered?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
gently caress yeah you should

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

bows1 posted:

I've beat Bloodborne, Sekiro and DS3. Should I get DS Remastered?

Get Scholar of the First Sin if it's cheaper (don't listen to what anyone else says, just do it!!)

But of course you should, both of them and Demon's Souls after that. They all hold up still.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

Get Scholar of the First Sin if it's cheaper (don't listen to what anyone else says, just do it!!)

:hai:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Real hurthling! posted:

40 hours is the hltb time for no side content. Its a 50-70 hour game if you do other stuff

Since I judge my self-worth by how many platinum trophies I have, looks like I've got a long road ahead of me with this game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Echotic posted:

Not exclusive to PS4 but the Jackbox collections of party games are seriously fun and hilarious. You can also play with people remotely if you have a decent way to share the screen with them. I just had some rounds of Quippage with some friends last night. I hosted the meeting but another friend hosted the actual game and we played through our phones and his screen.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Imhotep posted:

But of course you should, both of them and Demon's Souls after that. They all hold up still.

Ok I did this

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The horde battles were my favorite part of Days Gone, theres a definite point when you know you're geared up enough to kill hundreds of zombies and when you reach it it felt so glorious to mow down dozens by the second with flesh piercing MG rounds and using napalm to incinerate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bows1 posted:

Ok I did this

Lemme know if you wanna Summon, I will literally play DS2 at the drop of a hat.