Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah. Navy or a pale blue to match the shower curtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "cork"

In the 1960s some MCM architects experimented with cork walls.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Good if you want to put up a lot of dart boards

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Photoshop one in and see

there doesn't seem to be many of these bathroom runners for sale. this one is 22x60 inches.

https://www.target.com/p/traditional-plush-washable-nylon-rug-garland/-/A-79696264?preselect=78328841#lnk=sametab

actually this one is darker, probably better

https://www.target.com/p/mdesign-soft-microfiber-polyester-rug-non-slip-spa-mat-runner/-/A-78391207?preselect=78391206#lnk=sametab

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 5, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the second one. of course who knows how accurate the color is on a computer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The "Weird Secondhand Finds That Just Need To Be Shared" Facebook group is currently posting the most terrible and wonderful vintage bathrooms (since no one is able to go thrifting). https://www.facebook.com/groups/WeirdSecondhandFinds/?fref=nf

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The "Weird Secondhand Finds That Just Need To Be Shared" Facebook group is currently posting the most terrible and wonderful vintage bathrooms (since no one is able to go thrifting). https://www.facebook.com/groups/WeirdSecondhandFinds/?fref=nf

No cat. Irredeemable.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Azza Bamboo posted:

No cat. Irredeemable.

I know! I looked for another one with a cat, but that lime toilet...man.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

how did they find my childhood home

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I find the retro futuristic lime green shitter really clashes with the pleated net curtains and the lamp that looks like a Catholic thurible.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is the floor under this tub structurally sound?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Give me that magma red bathtub.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah I quite like that tub, and it really frames the cat well.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i like the lime green tub and toilet but the carpet and lack of shower curtain is fuckin gross

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

actionjackson posted:

Do you have anything else navy in there? Maybe if you replaced the shower curtain with something navy with white trim? That is a lot of brown you're fighting.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you have anything else navy in there? Maybe if you replaced the shower curtain with something navy with white trim? That is a lot of brown you're fighting.

Yeah that's true. I might repaint the bathroom.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I do think this shade is better

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

What’s a super rough estimate of how much a nice bathroom remodel cost? Assuming a big renovation like taking down a wall to make it bigger and stuff.

There's no better time than now to DiY, Pilgrim. And this thread is here to (load bearing joists groan) support you.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Gnossiennes posted:

i like the lime green tub and toilet but the carpet and lack of shower curtain is fuckin gross
Don't need a curtain if there isn't a showerhead <points at head>

Seriously though older 40s/50s houses simply didn't have showers, only tubs.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

falz posted:

Don't need a curtain if there isn't a showerhead <points at head>

Seriously though older 40s/50s houses simply didn't have showers, only tubs.

Were they not planning on bathing often or did they have time for a 40 minute luxurious soak every day

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kase moch posted:

Were they not planning on bathing often or did they have time for a 40 minute luxurious soak every day

Before the widespread adoption of the shower it wasn't the norm for people to bathe daily. In plenty of cultures around the world it still isn't. The modern western trend of showering once or even twice a day started much more recently than you might think - around the 60s in the US and later elsewhere. In the 1930s the norm would have been more like one bath a week. Plenty of houses built in the 30s or 40s might not even have had running water originally depending on where they were built. Even having a room dedicated to bathing was something only relatively affluent people did until about the mid 20th century. Before that you set up a tub in the kitchen or a bedroom if you wanted a bath.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is that an ash tray on top of the toilet's tank?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I think it’s probably a tea light, or the vessel from whence the clown genie came.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "kosher kitchen" in honor of the Zoom seder I have been roped into attending tonight
kosher kitchen = 2 of everything, one for milk and one for meat, and if they've got space/money they'll add more ovens and sinks and whatnot so the kitchen can get obscenely huge and take up half the house
this is the reasonably sized version

this is the 1970s version

this is the McMansion version

this is the curvaceous contemporary version

this is the DIY renovation version. I think they were going for a "rustic" look but it just looks like someone smeared poo poo all over the cabinets.

that is the biggest hood I have ever seen

this is the overcompensating-because-you're-the-only-Jews-in-Utah version. It cannot be fully captured in one photo

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
That last kitchen contains it's own Benihana, that's impressive.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lord Bude posted:

Before the widespread adoption of the shower it wasn't the norm for people to bathe daily. In plenty of cultures around the world it still isn't. The modern western trend of showering once or even twice a day started much more recently than you might think - around the 60s in the US and later elsewhere. In the 1930s the norm would have been more like one bath a week. Plenty of houses built in the 30s or 40s might not even have had running water originally depending on where they were built. Even having a room dedicated to bathing was something only relatively affluent people did until about the mid 20th century. Before that you set up a tub in the kitchen or a bedroom if you wanted a bath.
Yeah, like they weren't totally filthy or anything, but the norm would have probably been you take a good long soak on Sunday and on the days in between you used a washcloth to clean off your face and soap to wash your hands as needed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nessus posted:

Yeah, like they weren't totally filthy or anything, but the norm would have probably been you take a good long soak on Sunday and on the days in between you used a washcloth to clean off your face and soap to wash your hands as needed.

exactly. And while I don't advocate a return to that, an increasing number of skin experts are saying we're overdoing it with the showering now, and it's starting to cause problems.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You can take showering everyday away over my dead wrinkly body.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Argas posted:

You can take showering everyday away over my dead wrinkly body.

I shower every day too mostly. Sometimes I'll skip a day if I'm not going to leave the house that day. But plenty of people shower twice a day, and they use harsh soaps full of artificial crap to boot. Plenty of people are dousing themselves with chemicals from the cheap popular aerosol antiperspirant sprays. It's excessive and bad for you.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

this is so pretty

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Lord Bude posted:

they use harsh soaps full of artificial crap to boot.

I use a pH neutral soap-free wash now and it's loving amazing.

I got out of the shower the first time after using it and my skin just felt so much better. I have very sensitive skin and had exzema as a kid a few times, turns out the biggest problem was lovely harsh soaps. And hard bore water.

Also, I moved to using hypo-allergenic shampoo and laundry detergent and anything else that touches my skin.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

I shower every day too mostly. Sometimes I'll skip a day if I'm not going to leave the house that day. But plenty of people shower twice a day, and they use harsh soaps full of artificial crap to boot. Plenty of people are dousing themselves with chemicals from the cheap popular aerosol antiperspirant sprays. It's excessive and bad for you.

As opposed to the all-natural soap that grows from trees...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

there wolf posted:

Most cheap soap is full of junk ingredients they are harsh on your skin. You can also buy good quality, traditionally made soap.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lord Bude posted:

exactly. And while I don't advocate a return to that, an increasing number of skin experts are saying we're overdoing it with the showering now, and it's starting to cause problems.
Yeah my hands are for poo poo lately and I'm even using fairly nice hand soap and am used to having leathery alkaline gloves due to a history of kitchen work.

there wolf posted:

Soap does grow on trees. You burn the tree, you soak the ash, you boil it, skim off the lye, mix with fat... presto! Soap.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

There’s also the native Australian soap nut which indigenous Australians used before colonisation. You can buy it at hipster stores.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Anyone have access to trade pricing on wallpaper? My wife found something for remodeling our powder room that is...expensive.

https://www.mahoneswallpapershop.com/product/5010512-campagne-peacock-rouge-schumacher-wallpaper

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gettin' bufff... In the front room!

Gettin' bufff... In the bathroom!

Computers and humidity :cool:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Anyone have access to trade pricing on wallpaper? My wife found something for remodeling our powder room that is...expensive.

https://www.mahoneswallpapershop.com/product/5010512-campagne-peacock-rouge-schumacher-wallpaper

The main catalogs used here :japan: are $10/square meter for every design. You might want to consult a professional, also to check if that's humidity resistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Gettin' bufff... In the front room!

Gettin' bufff... In the bathroom!

Computers and humidity :cool:

Ah, the late-80s future cyberpunk dystopia action movie aesthetic.