Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Another best part of playing brawl:
Swinging in for lethal with your commander on an otherwise empty board, while my opponent's planeswalker commander looks on from his boring planeswalker zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Notably cycling is also an ability rather than a spell, which means that you can cast it at instant speed against Teferi and it can't be countered by most spells.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If the next format doesn't include Teferi getting maimed repeatedly by flying shark tokens then magic is a waste

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Spiderdrake posted:

If the next format doesn't include Teferi getting maimed repeatedly by flying shark tokens then magic is a waste

Well the next core set is Teferi focused, so you might get your wish.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Two questions.

1) What do I cut (I'm thinking Ministrant or Mind Stone)?

2) Given that I have two black duals, do I cut more cards and play Kroxa and despark?

e: oh, third question - there's no way I want to play cavalcade even with this level of token producers, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 4, 2020

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Sega 32X posted:

I played for a month or two a year ago (stopped around when the last Ravnica set came out). Should I figure out my old login to play again, or do new players get enough stuff that I should just start a new account?

Answering my own question:

Looks like you unlock all the starter sealed decks and stuff for free, and my 7 mythic wildcards + 10 rare wildcards + maybe some playable Ravnica cards are probably worth keeping over however many free packs a new player gets? It's hard to tell, as there isn't a lot of info online, and after playing the 5 game tutorial I'm not willing to put in the time to unlock all the basic color decks.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Quote is not edit

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

ScottyJSno posted:

I just started, about a month ago. All my wild cards have come from drafts and

https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-promo-codes/

The codes at that link give you 3 packs from each of the standard legal sets.

Go with your old account.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm seriously tempted to roll the dice on a cube draft just to see what rares turn up to fill out some holes. I know there's no guarantee, but it could be nice. Especially at 3k Gold it seems like a fairly low risk.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm seriously tempted to roll the dice on a cube draft just to see what rares turn up to fill out some holes. I know there's no guarantee, but it could be nice. Especially at 3k Gold it seems like a fairly low risk.

the cube draft is arena's first phantom event meaning you don't keep the cards

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Glad I mentioned it here first then, thanks!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ahaha, the payout on cube may be balls, but I’m having a blast doing it

friend and are have gone 29-5 so far today

my last 5-0 run was basically people just scooping to Thassa on 4 every game

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I watch Game Knights a lot, and I don't remember who said it, but one of the hosts said "Never concede, because in Commander things can change on a dime."

I made the Torb Red Aggro Brawl deck and I was playing against Arelia. I could not get mana to save my life, but I was able to put a beating on my opponent early, he had 7 life and I still had 25. He used a board wipe, dropped some enchantment that created a bunch of 4/4 Angels, played his commander and a couple other flyers (not all on the same turn, on consecutive turns). They couldn't attack me because I could swing for lethal, but he could just block so I couldn't really do anything either. I figured it was only a matter of time before they were able to take over and win. I was just about to concede when I was like "You know what gently caress it lets see how this plays out!" My next card was the Chandra that lets you do 3 to any non-elemental creature. But I only had 5 mana. I got a mountain, played my Commander and just hoped that he wouldn't get killed (which didn't happen). I played Chandra, wiped the board (except for Torb), next turn I was able to swing for lethal. That is my Brawl story. I'm sorry I can't remember all the card names!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 5, 2020

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Well this cube deck feels bonkers. Currently 2-0.

Here's an album of my entire pool: https://imgur.com/a/m53E279

Edit: I took out Kiora for Stolen By The Fae.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 5, 2020

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't know if Sealed Cube is "good" but I made a bad rear end "4 Power Matters" Blue Green deck and got to chain a bunch of creatures together with The Great Henge leading to an End-Raze Forerunner alpha strike and that felt good

So it's cool with me

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Which one of you nerds is SA_Viking

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i don't know what the gently caress i'm doing

there's too many bombs!! it's 'oops all bombs!'

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Waffleopolis posted:

Well this cube deck feels bonkers. Currently 2-0.

Here's an album of my entire pool: https://imgur.com/a/m53E279

Edit: I took out Kiora for Stolen By The Fae.

i haven't played this cube but Aracnir and Brineborn seem real bad here, you probably want Disdainful Stroke since this format is all bombs all the time, and yeah the Stolen by the Fae and Kiora seems good still.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Thinking about Ikoria, it was pointed out that a couple of the big monsters, particularly godzilla, have cheap cycling and huge power, which makes them prime re-animator deck fodder. Are any of them better for that archetype than Drakuseth, currently?

Then I thought he, re-animator decks are super hard to counter unless you can counterspell the reanimation card, or kill/exile the reanimated thign at instant speed, but WOTC published a bunch of ways of killing opponents' yards in the previous set, didn't they... I wonder if that was not just as a balance to Escape, but also as a way to pre-emptively kill zombie godzilla in standard...

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 5, 2020

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Thinking about Ikoria, it was pointed out that a couple of the big monsters, particularly godzilla, have cycling and huge power, which makes them prime re-animator deck fodder. Are any of them better for that archetype than Drakuseth, currently?

Then I thought he, re-animator decks are super hard to counter unless you can counterspell the reanimation card, or kill/exile the reanimated thign at instant speed, but WOTC published a bunch of ways of killing opponents' yards in the previous set, didn't they... I wonder if that was not just as a balance to Escape, but also as a way to pre-emptively kill zombie godzilla in standard...

The problem with reanimator is that right now there's no good reanimator spells. Getting stuff in the yard is going to be a lot easier, but actually getting it mobile is the problem. Honestly Cavaliers + Fires is probably a better avenue for slapping huge poo poo on the board on turn 5. Also, if you're going to animate stuff Drakuseth isn't the guy you want, it's Agent of Treachery (or End-Raze) and so far agent is still better than most of the stuff in Ikoria.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Drakuseth or Agent are stronger when reanimated but there's a much lower opportunity cost to playing the 11/11 because it replaces itself and puts itself into the graveyard, it isn't just a dead card you have to find a way to discard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

Thinking about Ikoria, it was pointed out that a couple of the big monsters, particularly godzilla, have cheap cycling and huge power, which makes them prime re-animator deck fodder. Are any of them better for that archetype than Drakuseth, currently?

I don’t know why you’re spelling it this way but “reanimating” something is a single action. The card is never “animated” in the first place. Reanimating something is a word, re-animating is not.

Reanimator decks have literally never been easier to counter in standard, there’s more GY hate in this Standard than I can honestly ever remember there being before.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Are there pre-release/release events fir new sets on Arena? If so how much is entry?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ScottyJSno posted:

Are there pre-release/release events fir new sets on Arena? If so how much is entry?

Not exactly. They put up a sealed event when new sets come out around when the prerelease would be but you don't get a promo card from it. It costs 2000 gems.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

11 weeks into Theros draft and I'm still learning new stuff

If you have Portent of Betrayal and you're desperate for a sac outlet, you can use Wings of Hubris

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Lone Goat posted:

11 weeks into Theros draft and I'm still learning new stuff

If you have Portent of Betrayal and you're desperate for a sac outlet, you can use Wings of Hubris

I mean, duh? It's just way worse than every other sac outlet in the format.

The real spice is using flicker of fate on your akroan war in response to the third chapter

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
How is it decided which death trigger runs first?

I was just in a situation where my opponent played massacre girl killing a large stack of tokens, and I only won because my vindictive vampire triggered before his Syd.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Active Player Non Active Player. The player whose turn it is puts their triggers on the stack first, which means they resolve after the non turn player's.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ungulateman posted:

I mean, duh? It's just way worse than every other sac outlet in the format.

The real spice is using flicker of fate on your akroan war in response to the third chapter

I'd never had them in the same deck before! Usually I only play Wings in RG since it's All Fatties All The Time, but I drafted a horrendous RB deck and was scraping for playables.

I mean, look at this poo poo

17lands didn't save the draft for that one, possible as to not embarrass me. Neither colour was open and I had no business chasing after a deck that did not exist.

Still went 7-2

I have done the Flicker trick on an omen, but it was on Elspeth Conquers Death, in a deck with a pair of Lagonna-Band Storytellers. I think I got it to go off 4 times one game. That was a fun one.

Also went 7-2

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Another beginner's drafting question: What would you pick here?

Part of me thinks that taking a common over a rare is wasteful unless I am certain that the common fits the rest of my deck, especially when it is strong in standard. On the other hand it seems pretty greedy to pick a rare that is that is that unlikely to be useful.

thespaceinvader posted:

Banishing LIght 100%. Followed by Dreadful Apathy, then probably Omen of the Sea or Witness of Tomorrows.

maybe this is a hot take but imo dreadful apathy is better than banishing light. apathy has synergy with flicker of fate and various cards that get auras out of your graveyard. i think those upsides are more likely to be relevant than banishing light being able to nab a planeswalker or a shadowspear or whatever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought a cube sealed; I opened a cool pool, I got to play with all my most powerful cards, and I went 3-3. It’s cool but I hate limited

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who the hell won with WUBRG ETB tribal that's causing me to see it so much on ladder in the past few days?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

P1P1. No premium removal. Do I take the champion and go for Auras?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yes, Champion is a huge bomb. I’d take it over every common and uncommon, I think.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

IMJack posted:

champion is probably a top 10 card in the entire set, it gets out of control real quick and is certainly better than any common/uncommon

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

IMJack posted:

Not just auras, enchantment creatures too. Auras still run the same risk as always: getting 2-for-1ed by removal so be careful with that.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

P2P1. Intervention, Banishing Light, or Siona? Leaning towards Intervention.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

IMJack posted:

P2P1. Intervention, Banishing Light, or Siona? Leaning towards Intervention.

would banishing light but i think it's super close with intervention and intervention is perfectly justifiable, intervention is too often dead for me to be too excited about it in bo1 and banishing light synergizes with champion

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Take intervention, cut mirror shield, start picking creatures, Jesus Christ you have like three from pack 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

As an avid fan of fromsoft games and of people complaining about bosses in SA threads shortly before beating them, let me just say:

We're in the waning days of TBD, I've opened full playsets of 3/5 of the temples, Atris, Tymaret calls, Set Champ, Iroan games, and evern garbage poo poo that no one will ever play like Purph's intervention.

I'm at 3/4 of a lot of good cards like ECD and Trawler.

But I have not opened a single copy of Shatter the Skies. gently caress you randomizer, I will beat your rear end before Covid takes Maro's entire family off this mortal coil.

thank you