Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I think Colonel Gentleman's invitation was a mix of a few things.

For one, while he may have been part of the lunatic parade that served as Rusty's extended family, he wasn't as bad as, say, Action Man. He was more or less like that one uncle we all have who we overhear mom and dad saying is into weird sex stuff, but it's OK because at least he doesn't diddle kids. So, there's a family relationship there.

Also, for all his faults, Jonas and the Colonel were friends. Sure, Jonas was the jerk-rear end leader of a team and the Colonel was a part of that team, but it was more than just a working relationship. As bad as Jonas was, there's no reason to suspect that all of his old friends see only or mostly just his faults (like Rusty often seems to), so to them, having Rusty around is like having their late friend around. And that would be true even if Rusty weren't a part of many of their adventures in some way, but he actually was. Center stage, even. Hell, you could argue that he was often the McGuffin. So, Rusty is like a surrogate in some ways. (There's a really good Nirvana (the band) documentary in which Kurt's daughter talks about how it is when she meets with Dave and Krist that touches on this.)

And finally, and this is something that y'all whippersnappers will start figuring out around the time of your 25th high school reunion, time erodes ill feelings. Even if Action Man, Colonel Gentlemen, and Kano only bonded over their combined hatred of Rusty back when rescuing him was the impetus for half of the adventures they went on, the fact of the matter is that they're old now, and there's a certain camaraderie that exists between people who were young together long ago, but who aren't all young now. Divisions, enmity, grudges, etc. often, but not always, fade, and at a certain point, you just want to hang out with the people who shared your youth 25, 30, 40, etc. years ago. Hell, because of this fact of life, over the last few years, I've had friendly, nostalgic conversations with people who wouldn't have given me the time of day in school, and to hear those conversations, you'd think we'd been friends for decades.

And, it's hard to really put into words in a meaningful way for people who haven't experienced it first-hand.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

luxury handset posted:

old people are also just lonely since many of the people they know and used to hang out with are dead or have mobility problems, and in col. gentleman's life he probably has more enemies than friends. even a superhero is going to get elderly at some point - i always liked the gag that col. gentleman retired to morocco, and the action man retired to suburban florida
I loved that Colonel Gentleman finally realized that he was miserable in Morocco now that all his friends were dead, and just took the opportunity that presented itself when he reunited with the Action Man to ask him to live together in the same house, inviting Rose, another old friend.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man I hope Rodney comes out of his coma next season

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The new Harley Quinn show almost strikes me as DC's take on Venture Bros, tone-wise. Interestingly, it kinda shows the strength of the Guild structure compared to its take on the Legion of Doom; the Guild may have bureaucracy but it's pretty well organised and open to change, while the Legion seems a mess.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The new Harley Quinn show almost strikes me as DC's take on Venture Bros, tone-wise. Interestingly, it kinda shows the strength of the Guild structure compared to its take on the Legion of Doom; the Guild may have bureaucracy but it's pretty well organised and open to change, while the Legion seems a mess.

that's the thing about bureaucracy, it can be frustrating to deal with, but the alternative tends to be much worse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

that's the thing about bureaucracy, it can be frustrating to deal with, but the alternative tends to be much worse

Was also a funny thing in The Tick where Aegis is dreaded as a bureaucratic nightmare, and it is, but Arthur is an accountant and unfazed by the worst it has to throw at him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was also a funny thing in The Tick where Aegis is dreaded as a bureaucratic nightmare, and it is, but Arthur is an accountant and unfazed by the worst it has to throw at him.

The fact that the Tick amazon show isn’t being converted to an animated one with the same cast for Adult Swim is a travesty.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact that the Tick amazon show isn’t being converted to an animated one with the same cast for Adult Swim is a travesty.

I feel like there should be a Kick Fund Start Me thing set up or something. Except Adult Swim should just pony up the dough.

It wouldn't be the dumbest thing they've green-lit.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I wanna give this show a shoutout for teaching me the name of the Valsalva maneuver.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Kesper North posted:

I wanna give this show a shoutout for teaching me the name of the Valsalva maneuver.

I once won a point in a pub quiz because the show taught me what a Lepidopterist is

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

pablo gbscobar posted:

I once won a point in a pub quiz because the show taught me what a Lepidopterist is

You want to see my stamp collection?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cloks posted:

You want to see my stamp collection?

Only if we were philatelists. Which we aren't, mr. smart guy.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
After a glorious 15 year run, the Ninja-themed restaurant in NYC has closed.

https://ny.eater.com/2020/3/5/21166070/ninja-restaurant-nyc-tribeca-closure-japanese-sushi

Where will Hank take first dates?? And what will Brown Widow do for supplemental income??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aw dammit. I wanted to go there when my VB-loving friend comes into town in a few months.

Hank will still have Jekyll and Hyde to patronize, at least.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

WAIT THAT WAS REAL? :psyboom:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

WAIT THAT WAS REAL? :psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il5snidcnHc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I went with my brother and his two daughters to that place a few months ago. It was corny but fun as hell, probably incredible if you’re a 10 year old girl who writes emo haikus about manuls that jump out of Christmas presents and eat you :D

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Nice! posted:

Only if we were philatelists. Which we aren't, mr. smart guy.
I like the cut of this guy's jib.

I like the cut of his hair.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Data Graham posted:

I went with my brother and his two daughters to that place a few months ago. It was corny but fun as hell, probably incredible if you’re a 10 year old girl who writes emo haikus about manuls that jump out of Christmas presents and eat you :D

Well now I need to see one of these haikus, so thanks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drrockso20 posted:

Well now I need to see one of these haikus, so thanks

my insane niece posted:

Everyone’s asleep
Down the wooden stairs I creep
I see a present

Underneath the tree
The present’s moving, yowling
What could be inside?

Soon, family comes
I open up my present
Wait, what is this thing?

AAHH! It’s a manul!
He sees me and then attacks
‘Til I am no more

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
Do you think it’s a cry for help?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Images you can hear

https://twitter.com/itsstillalex/status/1238836963442130946?s=19

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I always think of bureaucracies as engeniered organizations. There are good ways and bad ways of doin the engeinering.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

side_burned posted:

I always think of bureaucracies as engeniered organizations. There are good ways and bad ways of doin the engeinering.

This is absolutely correct! (I do a lot of policy and risk management work for infrastructure.)

They're also hackable, insofar as you can manipulate a bureaucracy by studying its inputs and outputs and crafting creative input to get the output you want.

This applies to any complex social system, including nation-states, and there is a whole body of practice and theory dedicated to detecting and mitigating those risks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I just got caught up on the series through a complete rewatch after having had fallen off somewhere around season 5 (lack of money for DVDs and lack of access to cable). I'm enjoying reading through the backlog of discussion here. It looks like we typically have a couple of years between seasons; I assume it's reasonable to expect that we may be hearing more about Season 8 later this year or around this time next year?

As for the previous comments on Hank vs Dean accepting the Venture lifestyle I'm not surprised they're showing Hank as more accepting of it and wanting to do the costume thing. He's grown up idolizing Brock but remains idealized about what he (Brock) does rather than having a grim acceptance of killing others like his idol. Doing cape stuff lets him act out on those dreams without having to get his hands dirty. Plus that second Venturestein episode shows that he's pretty capable when hopped up on caffeine. I would say they'd spin it as a vigilante, but we only just wrapped up the whole Blue Morpho thing. We don't know a whole log about the capes in this world and it would be interesting to see if there's some organizational bodies for "good". The OSI appears just to be a regulatory group rather than a proverbial Avengers/Justice League.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Warbird posted:

I just got caught up on the series through a complete rewatch after having had fallen off somewhere around season 5 (lack of money for DVDs and lack of access to cable). I'm enjoying reading through the backlog of discussion here. It looks like we typically have a couple of years between seasons; I assume it's reasonable to expect that we may be hearing more about Season 8 later this year or around this time next year?

As for the previous comments on Hank vs Dean accepting the Venture lifestyle I'm not surprised they're showing Hank as more accepting of it and wanting to do the costume thing. He's grown up idolizing Brock but remains idealized about what he (Brock) does rather than having a grim acceptance of killing others like his idol. Doing cape stuff lets him act out on those dreams without having to get his hands dirty. Plus that second Venturestein episode shows that he's pretty capable when hopped up on caffeine. I would say they'd spin it as a vigilante, but we only just wrapped up the whole Blue Morpho thing. We don't know a whole log about the capes in this world and it would be interesting to see if there's some organizational bodies for "good". The OSI appears just to be a regulatory group rather than a proverbial Avengers/Justice League.

This would be the Crusaders Action League.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I just love the resigned delivery of the initial sales script that Fallen Archer gives. The way he segues directly into "so let's go ahead and get you started with your Gold Plan today, OK?" is exactly like the sales scrips I had to read when I was a teenager working as a telemarketer. Never ask if they're interested, just go right into "so let's go ahead and get you started! What's the first credit card you'd like to transfer to your BANK CARD?". That scene gives me flashbacks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yes, but I meant on a larger scale. The CLA seems to be limited to the schmucks we've seen already while the GoCA and OSI appear to operate on a national level at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can't help but notice that Adult Swim is running The Venture Brothers Tues-Thursday in order starting from season six. So, that would put them finishing up with season 7 by around May

I know it's too early to hope, but hope comes anyways that maybe they'll have a special or something after they've finished the run since they typically don't have Venture Bros in their normal schedule unless they are building to a new season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well it has been two years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Well it has been two years.

Eh, not 2 years until August. It was 2 years and 7 months between the starts of Season 6 and Season 7 and a similar time between the starts of 5 and 6. So, going by that, it will be this time next year by the time season 8 comes.

We haven't even had a sizzle reel yet so I really don't have much hope. But the world is crazy right now and maybe they'll decide to do a split or otherwise partial season if they've completed anything so far and production has stopped.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They talked about being fairly far along in preproduction last year so I'd imagine that sometime next year is a reasonable guess for premiere.

e: this was the last update I saw.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The OSI is all but explicitly GI Joe/SHIELD. We've seen there's a couple superhero teams, including the one Captain Sunshine is a part of.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

venture bros is in legit danger of being canceled now. adult swim doesn't have a great track record of keeping popular old shows around. venture bros is now the oldest show in their lineup and one of the reasons it lasted so long was because mike lazzo personally advocated for the show, and he's left the network

if they're already pretty far in on production then i think we'd see this season but i wouldn't be surprised if they announced also this was the last season

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Then again, they announced a couple older shows getting a new season in the upcoming fall lineup - like 10 ounce mouse or whatever it's called. It's be a bit weird if they brought back a few nostalgia trips only to cancel a popular, (well, popular for a Adult Swim show, it's not like it does gangbusters like Rick and Morty but, eh) long running show like Venture Bros.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It depends on how much it costs them and how well they monetize it.

One huge thing in Venture Bros. favor is the limited staff and voice cast. It's not like Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick are chomping at the bit to do something new. There's never been any public drama between them and the network. They don't have a huge writing staff that they need to maintain if the show goes even longer between seasons. The seasons are short and infrequent enough none of the voice cast should have trouble getting recordings in between other projects.

It's pretty much the definition of project that can go on forever (or at least as long as Doc and Jackson want it to) as long as it's not taking more money to make than it brings in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The fact that the entire country of South Korea is locked the gently caress down* is going to have a big impact on traditionally animated shows, if nothing more than creating a backlog. I think there's going to be a bit of a shakeup of the global animation industry.

* good for them, it seems to be working really well

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's also infrequent and brings a fan base back to watching adult swim that then sees whatever else they are trying to get running at the time.

I think the biggest thing going both for and against the show is that the fan base isn't exactly in line with their current adut swim audience.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's at least cheap as hell right? Got that going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was it ever though? Adult Swim has always been about weird, inane poo poo that most normal people wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Back when I watched it, it usually started off with somewhat normal shows like Sealab 2021, ATHF, and the Brak Show, but then it would go into weird poo poo that I wasn't interested in and usually turned off.