Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Note Block posted:

My fiancé and I get to have the “please stop bringing your girlfriend over during the pandemic, you are taking advantage of our generosity and not taking this situation seriously enough” conversation with our roommate tomorrow and it’s been causing me untold amounts of stress. She’s been coming over four days out of the week and still goes out to work (she is not an essential employee) every day and goes hiking with him in the weekends. I’m losing my mind.
While I acknowledge that having a roommate is a complex situation, that's going to be a confrontation, not a conversation. You're essentially making a demand with no authority to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

The UK bringing the reparations topic to the table will certainly work out well for them.

*shows microfiche of old Opium War headlines on courtroom screen*

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Pipe broke in my house, so I had to hit up Home Depot. Good amount of people in masks, which was nice to see. Mask usage among women and minorities was like maybe 75%. White men mask usage was, as near as I could tell, just me. And one of them was loudly complaining to the Home Depot employee running the line to get in that this was America and she was taking away all his liberties.

I don't like to self hate, I really don't think it's healthy or productive, but a life time of everything going our way honestly has hosed us up a bit.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

HookShot posted:

Does anyone have the link to the twitter thread on why the antibody tests with 95% accuracy are actually unreliable because of math and statistics that I don't understand handy?

Picture a test with 95% confidence being done on a population in which 5% have the antibodies.

Since the test is 95% accurate, on a patient who is negative it will show a false positive 1/20 times.

1/20 people should test positive for the test in a population with 5% antibodies.

Therefore if you test a person and they test positive there is (roughly) a 50% chance they are positive for the virus and a 50% chance they are a false positive.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

While I acknowledge that having a roommate is a complex situation, that's going to be a confrontation, not a conversation.

It’s absolutely gong to suck. I am high risk as well and he knows we have been attempting to quarantine completely during all of this. I am extremely stressed out.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I can't find the quote right now but here in the UK we've had a cabinet minister basically say non-cohabiting partners should move in together or break up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Crack any joke you like about any world leader up to and including Trump, but a nation's leader dying or nearly dying of this would be Very loving Bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why? What's the UK gonna do, accidentally nuke the US about it?

I should point out this is entirely his fault, he was bragging about shaking hands with people infected with it and is still arguing that you don't need to stay home for more than 7 days.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 5, 2020

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
They may already have. When's the last time you met someone from Wyoming?

In a time when most people are looking to leadership for calm and steady resolve, the leader dying would be quite the opposite of that.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Crack any joke you like about any world leader up to and including Trump, but a nation's leader dying or nearly dying of this would be Very loving Bad.

If the leader is making the outbreak worse by downplaying public safety measures and actively loving up supply chains, Very loving Bad might just be better than the Extremely loving Bad of having them at the helm. Hell, it might just be the wake up call the ostriches need*

*it won't be.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Why? What's the UK gonna do, accidentally nuke the US about it?

Beach the royal navys last ship on an Irish strait and surrender.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HookShot posted:

Does anyone have the link to the twitter thread on why the antibody tests with 95% accuracy are actually unreliable because of math and statistics that I don't understand handy?

Here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/zbinney_NFLinj/status/1245789672833417217
And it's not unreliable altogether, it's unreliable while infection rates are low.

Extreme example which may help: suppose 1% of population had an illness, and you tested everyone with a test that had a 5% false positive rate. Then, assuming it had no false negatives, you would have .99*.05+0.01 = 5.95% test positive, almost 6 times more than accurate. While there are way more people without it than with it, a small portion of that may be quite significant compared to the true rate; and it ends up being noticeable for quite a few unaffected percentages.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

when i demanded reparations for british imperialism against my ancestors, this wasn't what i was expecting

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Here:
https://mobile.twitter.com/zbinney_NFLinj/status/1245789672833417217
And it's not unreliable altogether, it's unreliable while infection rates are low.

Extreme example which may help: suppose 1% of population had an illness, and you tested everyone with a test that had a 5% false positive rate. Then, assuming it had no false negatives, you would have .99*.05+0.01 = 5.95% test positive, almost 6 times more than accurate. While there are way more people without it than with it, a small portion of that may be quite significant compared to the true rate; and it ends up being noticeable for quite a few unaffected percentages.

This seems like one of those situations where thresholds should be actively adjusted based on risk factors and how the results will be used.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tarnop posted:

I can't find the quote right now but here in the UK we've had a cabinet minister basically say non-cohabiting partners should move in together or break up

I have a friend who's roommate has gone to visit her boyfriend or family in different cities the last three weekends. How do you get it through someone's head they aren't supposed to be leaving town? Her boyfriend is in med school I don't understand why they aren't being more serious about it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

space marine todd posted:

when i demanded reparations for british imperialism against my ancestors, this wasn't what i was expecting

you'll take it though, right? It'd be a real weight off my mind

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Note Block posted:

My fiancé and I get to have the “please stop bringing your girlfriend over during the pandemic, you are taking advantage of our generosity and not taking this situation seriously enough” conversation with our roommate tomorrow and it’s been causing me untold amounts of stress. She’s been coming over four days out of the week and still goes out to work (she is not an essential employee) every day and goes hiking with him in the weekends. I’m losing my mind.

Guess it is time for the girlfriend to move in with you guys, then.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Depends on the leader.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're essentially making a demand with no authority to do so.
That's a weird take for "your idiot behavior is possibly endangering me"

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Guess it is time for the girlfriend to move in with you guys, then.

She still goes to work everyday even though she is not an essential employee, and I am high risk. I am open to this but she is not.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

FilthyImp posted:

It's not a take. Tell someone whose name is on the lease how they can use their home and see how it goes. The situation is more complicated than "what I say goes", and just because you're being reductive about it doesn't mean they're going to get their way. I feel for them, it's a hard situation.

Put another way:
"Your idiot behavior is possibly endangering me"
"I understand your concern, but I assure you, we're being very careful"
"Still, I'd appreciate you not coming over until this is over"
"No"

What's your next line here? Truly, where does this go?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's not a take. Tell someone whose name is on the lease how they can use their home and see how it goes. The situation is more complicated than "what I say goes", and just because you're being reductive about it doesn't mean they're going to get their way. I feel for them, it's a hard situation.

I should note that he is not on the lease, his rent is for a single room at 1/4th the total cost of the apartment, and he does not pay utilities even though she stays here four nights a week and he now works from home with us. Everything in the apartment outside of his single room is ours as well.

I am still fearful of a confrontation but I have explained to him multiple times now that I am high risk and he hasn’t been considerate of the stay-at-home order in our state, that me and my fiancé are taking seriously.

Note Block fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 5, 2020

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Note Block posted:

She still goes to work everyday even though she is not an essential employee, and I am high risk. I am open to this but she is not.

Can your housemate move in with her temporarily?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

if you aren't going into that conversation ready for them to be confrontational than you might as well not have it

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Stickman posted:

If the leader is making the outbreak worse by downplaying public safety measures and actively loving up supply chains, Very loving Bad might just be better than the Extremely loving Bad of having them at the helm. Hell, it might just be the wake up call the ostriches need*

*it won't be.

Boris was visiting hospitals to shake hands with patients and staff to show that Everything is Fine in the last month, there's a lot of reaping / sowing going on here. Of course before that his most memorable hospital visit saw him hiding in a fridge from the press/public, followed shortly by his landslide election victory, so God knows what will actually happen next.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Note Block posted:

I should note that he is not on the lease, his rent is for a single room at 1/4th the total cost of the apartment, and he does not pay utilities even though she stays here four nights a week and he now works from home with us.

Then it's simple. Kick him out.

You can't end their relationship and you can't stop them from seeing each other. But you can kick him out. You kind of have to do it, too. Sucks.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

HolHorsejob posted:

Can your housemate move in with her temporarily?

I don’t think he wants to do that because she normally lives with her family and he has more privacy here, but it is something to consider exploring! Thank you.

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I respectfully disagree

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Note Block posted:

I should note that he is not on the lease, his rent is for a single room at 1/4th the total cost of the apartment, and he does not pay utilities even though she stays here four nights a week and he now works from home with us. Everything in the apartment outside of his single room is ours as well.

I am still fearful of a confrontation but I have explained to him multiple times now that I am high risk and he hasn’t been considerate of the stay-at-home order in our state, that me and my fiancé are taking seriously.

Get rid imo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

While I acknowledge that having a roommate is a complex situation, that's going to be a confrontation, not a conversation. You're essentially making a demand with no authority to do so.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

In a time when most people are looking to leadership for calm and steady resolve, the leader dying would be quite the opposite of that.

:lol: dude please gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just Photoshop a bunch of pics of him getting blown in a car by someone else and send them to her.

When did you people stop being goons? Good lord.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1246900303175311360

w...what?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Note Block posted:

I don’t think he wants to do that because she normally lives with her family and he has more privacy here, but it is something to consider exploring! Thank you.

No worries. Sorry to jump on the "you should try X" bandwagon, I know that's irritating. Good luck, I hope he's receptive. Unprecedented times and all.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

poo poo, now I need to shut down my tiger photo booth business.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was someone whose cat got it I think so it seems to be theoretically transmittable but the question then becomes who the gently caress was frenching the tigers?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Donald Trump :newfap:
Boris Johnson :flashfap:
Vladimir Putin :fap:
Kim Jong-Un :jackbud:

Any of these people dying of Covid-19 is objectively a Great loving Thing. :colbert:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

HolHorsejob posted:

No worries. Sorry to jump on the "you should try X" bandwagon, I know that's irritating. Good luck, I hope he's receptive. Unprecedented times and all.

No apologies necessary, it is an option after all. I will bring it up with him as well. I don’t want to ruin our decade long friendship (this is why he’s living with us at such a bargain to begin with) but my high risk factor can’t be ignored and his girlfriend coming and going during a stay-at-home order is driving me insane.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I guess we have to keep two meters away from tigers now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

cats seem to be able to get it, at least if they are very heavily exposed (some belgian study)