Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The flickering may be possible to fix with some VRR range and Hz fuckery in Custom Resolution Utility. I sadly have no idea what should I do. I just use the monitor with vsync on. Earlier I used a 60Hz monitor with vsync on so these 105 extra Hz help :v:

Image quality is nice for the price. Viewing angles are good, backlight is even, no dead pixels. Response time at 165Hz is tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Incessant Excess posted:

That's a shame, are there alternatives that are 32 inch and at least 144hz?

AFAIK they're all VA, there are only so many panels and so many implementations and they all seem to have one issue or another, probably due to how difficult it is to try to wrangle VA response times down to remotely acceptable levels.

The reality is the panel industry has standardized on 27" for 1440p and seems to be doing so again for 4k. If you want a different size, you're going to pay a price one way or another. 4k may bring a greater spread of options since it's a more "normal" res than 1440 and will probably be the norm for a very long time the way 1080p has been, but we're still waiting for 4k gaming monitors to become a real thing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Ihmemies posted:

The flickering may be possible to fix with some VRR range and Hz fuckery in Custom Resolution Utility. I sadly have no idea what should I do. I just use the monitor with vsync on. Earlier I used a 60Hz monitor with vsync on so these 105 extra Hz help :v:

Image quality is nice for the price. Viewing angles are good, backlight is even, no dead pixels. Response time at 165Hz is tolerable.

I did find this guide, perhaps it will be of some help to you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/df3zdy/just_received_the_dell_s3220dgf_32_1440p_va_165hz/f4rhk8d/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Incessant Excess posted:

That's a shame, are there alternatives that are 32 inch and at least 144hz?

The only ones available use VA technology and that has problems with response time that makes the "144 Hz" designation fairly meaningless - they can only deliver about 30-60 Hz worth of motion clarity due to slow pixel response times causing big black smears around moving objects (even windows, etc).

Asus is working on a 4K 32" gaming monitor called the PG32UQX, Acer calls theirs the X32. However, monitor release schedules work on their own timelines at the best of times and who knows what will happen with the disruption from coronavirus. Hopefully sometime in the next year, probably sometime within the next 2 years.

K8.0 is correct that the market has basically standardized on 27" for 1440p gaming monitors and 24" for 1080p.

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

Cygni posted:

27GL83A showed up again on Amazon btw, after months of being MIA:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF

Bought one of these after you mentioned it and it just arrived. So far so good and an amazing upgrade over my previous 1080p TN monitor. Thanks goon!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

K8.0 is correct that the market has basically standardized on 27" for 1440p gaming monitors and 24" for 1080p.

There are also a bunch of solid 34" 3440x1440 options, albeit at normally higher prices than the 32" VA models are going for. On the up-side, they actually work correctly.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Is Amazon sold out of basically every top tier 27"+ 1440p 144hz+ monitor?

I just built a new PC with a 2070 Super and I'm looking for a nice monitor. Also, is there a reason why the Dell S3220DGF is only $450 MSRP?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Red Robin Hood posted:

I just built a new PC with a 2070 Super and I'm looking for a nice monitor. Also, is there a reason why the Dell S3220DGF is only $450 MSRP?

This was $299 a week ago: https://www.newegg.com/black-nixeus-nx-edg27-v2-27/p/3D4-000B-00003

That 32" Dell should honestly be cheaper. It's a VA panel and at 32", 1440p would have a similar pixel density to 1080p at 22-24". My guess as to why it's $450 is that not many 32" 1440p panels get sold and as such they can't afford to discount them heavily or often.

The Nixeus I linked isn't IPS, but AHVA is AUOptronic's IPS equivalent technology.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 6, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Red Robin Hood posted:

You can get an Acer XB271HU sold by amazon for about $520.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Whatever happened to Qnix/B-rate monitors? I bought one five years ago for $195, still going strong, but it's DVI-only and my new GPU doesn't have DVI, so I've been going down a rabbit hole of adapters vs. new monitor. It seems like there just aren't inexpensive (relatively speaking) 27inch, 1440p IPS monitors anymore? Is everything $300+ these days?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You can get adapters that work, just look at the last page of the GPU thread. Those Dell ones are known to work well.

1440p has never been that cheap because it's not as standard of a resolution as 1080p or 4k, so 1440p 60hz monitors still cost close to what 4k 60hz monitors cost. The place where 1440p has thrived is the high refresh market, almost everything that's really good is 27" 1440p. They came down tremendously in price starting about a year and a half ago, they were originally $600ish and now they're mostly in the $300-400 range.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Schiavona posted:

Whatever happened to Qnix/B-rate monitors? I bought one five years ago for $195, still going strong, but it's DVI-only and my new GPU doesn't have DVI, so I've been going down a rabbit hole of adapters vs. new monitor. It seems like there just aren't inexpensive (relatively speaking) 27inch, 1440p IPS monitors anymore? Is everything $300+ these days?

One of the big draws of those off-brand monitors was their ability to overclock and with the death of the DVI port they've all transitioned over to making off-brand 144Hz monitors. These monitors are more expensive to manufacture so now the value play is getting a $300 off-brand 144Hz monitor vs. a name brand one that would cost $4-500.

You can still find 27" 1440p monitors for ~$200 if you really look but they're all locked to 60Hz since they're using DisplayPort/HDMI.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Is the Acer Predator XB273K Gpbmiipprzx at $800 overpriced? Wasn't it like $1400 less than a year ago? Worth it?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Red Robin Hood posted:

Is the Acer Predator XB273K Gpbmiipprzx at $800 overpriced? Wasn't it like $1400 less than a year ago? Worth it?

$800ish seems to be the going price, though MicroCenter has it for $700. It seems like a very nice monitor, though I don't know what you're going to be doing with 4k@144hz. It did launch at $1300, yeah.

To me this would be a "hold out until the next-gen cards launch" sort of monitor, since unless you're playing older games, running 4k@144hz just isn't going to happen, so you might as well wait until new cards come out that might be able to, and by then it'll doubtlessly be cheaper, too.

corded ware culture
Jul 16, 2007
mean green
been lurking this thread for a few months and picked up the oft-mentioned nixeus 27" 1440p display when it was 300 on newegg. i'm pleased with what i got for the price. probably would have never even known this existed if not for this thread. thanks guys.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DrDork posted:

$800ish seems to be the going price, though MicroCenter has it for $700. It seems like a very nice monitor, though I don't know what you're going to be doing with 4k@144hz. It did launch at $1300, yeah.

To me this would be a "hold out until the next-gen cards launch" sort of monitor, since unless you're playing older games, running 4k@144hz just isn't going to happen, so you might as well wait until new cards come out that might be able to, and by then it'll doubtlessly be cheaper, too.

This was my calculus getting a 1440p 144 monitor. 2070 Super pushes almost everything I play over 60 at max settings. Most things over 90-100. Don’t imagine I’d be getting over 60 with 4k. Also the HDR seems meh except for very expensive models.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm looking for a 27" 1440p 144hz but it seems that I picked a pretty bad time as pickings are pretty slim up here in Canada right now. I don't really want to go out anywhere at the moment but checking online even my local places are wiped anyways.

Looking at Amazon, there's some warehouse refurb ASUS PG279Qs for $675 CAD but since I'm already upgrading from a 5 year old TN monitor with bright spots I was hoping to stumble into something more recent than the same year. Unfortunately it seems like most of the newer stuff around my price range is just gone. Does the actual age of the monitor matter much in this case?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It’s still high or at the top of the rtings list for gaming monitors. I dunno if I’d buy a refurb monitor though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Canada does seem to have slim pickings ATM, so unless you are in desperate need of a WFH monitor I'd say just wait for a month or two, unless that month or two of usage is worth paying quite a bit more for what is probably less.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Red Robin Hood posted:

DrDork posted:

Warning, acer naming scheme continues to be loving cancer.

Microcenter now carries:

• XB273K UM.HX3AA.P01 (native GSync)
  • XB273K UM.HX3AA.P03 (Gsync Compatible)
  • XB273K UM.HX3AA.S01 (native Gsync?)
  • and a refurb SKU (unclear which one it's a refurb of)

The P03 appears to be the replacement for the XV273K, not that there was any reason to drop that naming scheme. The S01 may be the replacement for the P01 but with the new firmware with stuff like Adaptive Sync/HDMI VRR support? (unclear)

As far as that series: you want the Gsync compatible version (P03 or XV273K), because it can take the dual-cable type setup (and that includes the XB273K P03). Native Gsync (any model) cannot operate a true 4K144 at 8-bit 4:4:4, it has to drop to 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.

Is it worth $800? Probably not, it's the budget version of a bleeding edge monitor and I can't help but think it'll be a lot cheaper soon.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 7, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Warning, acer naming scheme continues to be loving cancer.

• XB273K UM.HX3AA.P01 (native GSync)
  • XB273K UM.HX3AA.P03 (Gsync Compatible)
  • XB273K UM.HX3AA.S01 (native Gsync?)
  • and a refurb SKU (unclear which one it's a refurb of)

Goddrat it, Acer!

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Dogen posted:

It's still high or at the top of the rtings list for gaming monitors. I dunno if I'd buy a refurb monitor though.

There are new ones, but they cost 899 dollars :shepface:

I think I'll wait yeah and see if prices drop later or there's some sales once things recover.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

Native Gsync (any model) cannot operate a true 4K144 at 8-bit 4:4:4, it has to drop to 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.
Why's that? Is it a fundamental limitation of gsync or just specific to the gsync ASICs in the monitors?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's more a limitation of DisplayPort, but some Freesync controllers support a workaround where you connect two DP cables to the monitor to get around the bandwidth limitations. The current Gsync modules can't do that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

It's more a limitation of DisplayPort, but some Freesync controllers support a workaround where you connect two DP cables to the monitor to get around the bandwidth limitations. The current Gsync modules can't do that.

And you cant do HDR+VRR with the 2 cable solution. If you want the full 4k+144hz+HDR, you are stuck waiting until DP 2.0/HDMI 2.1 supporting graphics cards and monitors come out, which is supposedly late this year at the earliest.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
How often does that LG 27" 1440p 144hz monitor get re-stocked? It seems that's the monitor to get these days for 1440p 144hz. Out of stock everywhere I look though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

And you cant do HDR+VRR with the 2 cable solution. If you want the full 4k+144hz+HDR, you are stuck waiting until DP 2.0/HDMI 2.1 supporting graphics cards and monitors come out, which is supposedly late this year at the earliest.

oh I didn't know that one, but I guess it makes sense, can't sync two separate streams at once if they're varying the refresh.

yeah I'm gonna go with "don't buy and wait for the next gen" here. There's just too many caveats on the current gen.

I guess they're more or less OK if you're OK with 4K120 and fake HDR (which they all are, except for FALD, which has halos, and VA, which has ghosting) but 144 hz just is not there yet.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I have an XV273K that I've posted about before in this thread - it's adequate I would say and it's the only sort of reasonable 4K 120Hz VRR option available even now, but it's like sub-$400 panel quality in a $800 monitor.

It does support 10-bit color but you can't really use that and VRR together because 4K 120Hz at 8 bits per channel is already hitting the limits of what DP 1.4 can do. Maybe with DP 2.0 there will be better 4K high refresh rate monitors :shrug:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'm going to test out a friends Acer Predator XB273K Gpbmiipprzx but am not familiar enough with this poo poo to decide what is better (running an MSI RTX 2070 Super, play Apex Legends, Overwatch, etc.):

2x DP cables to get 4K 144hz (can it do 144hz at lower resolutions?)

vs

1x DP cable at 125hz with adaptive sync on

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'm going to test out a friends Acer Predator XB273K Gpbmiipprzx but am not familiar enough with this poo poo to decide what is better (running an MSI RTX 2070 Super, play Apex Legends, Overwatch, etc.):

2x DP cables to get 4K 144hz (can it do 144hz at lower resolutions?)

vs

1x DP cable at 125hz with adaptive sync on

The 144Hz mode is pretty pointless unless you exclusively play games that can run at a constant 144 (or 72) fps. You can run lower resolutions, but why? Variable refresh rate is much superior.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Hey, sorry to ask such a basic question but I read the OP (which is 7 years old at this point tbf) and some other guides but am still a bit lost in the world of monitors and PC building. The last time I built a gaming PC was maybe 15 years ago so I'm just overwhelmed by the variety nowadays.

So, I'm trying to budget a gaming PC, I'm thinking budget wise would be ideally 1,000 USD (I'm in Canada, so looking at a 1500 CAD budget) but am willing to go up 100 - 200 if it's worth it.

I'm buying a monitor first simply out of necessity (need a second monitor on laptop for WFH) but I have no idea what to get. I'll be wanting to play some milsim type FPS (tarkov, squad) and some other strategy or RPG games (mb2 bannerlord, ck3 when it's out) so I'm not looking for ultra high end gaming machine for competitive overwatch or anything. The highest title I'd like to play is RDR2 but I'd settle for just PS3 level graphic settings for it (don't need 4K).

What are even the basic price bands these days? I'm trying to play with the variables here to figure out my price point but I don't know the price bands. Like, if I do 1080p but at higher refresh rates, or 1440p at 60ghz what are the price differences and what should matter?

Should I go and fully plan out my PC build first or can I reasonably get a monitor first (for practicality here while I'm WFH).

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 8, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

Hey, sorry to ask such a basic question but I read the OP (which is 7 years old at this point tbf) and some other guides but am still a bit lost in the world of monitors and PC building. The last time I built a gaming PC was maybe 15 years ago so I'm just overwhelmed by the variety nowadays.

Should I go and fully plan out my PC build first or can I reasonably get a monitor first (for practicality here while I'm WFH).

There's basically four options to consider:

(1) 1080p@60 24" - Pick a IPS monitor that meets your aesthetic needs and is on sale. Should be about $100. You can capably drive this with a 1660 Super.
(2) 1080p@120-165 24" - A bunch of options here. TNs are the most common, some as low as $200, but the colors suffer. IPS ones exist, like the Asus TUF Gaming VG259Q, but that's about $300. You'll want either a 2060 or better, or accept you're going to be turning settings down. A 1660 S could do many games on Medium settings and still make use of the >60Hz.
(3) 1440@60 27" - Tons of options. Most range $250-$3300. Pick an IPS.
(4) The thread favorite Nixeus which is a 27" 1440@144Hz for ~$300. The best bang for your buck. A 2070 would be a good card to make full use of it, but probably not in your budget.

If you can swing the Nixeus, it's probably the best choice, if only because it'll be the nicest to use for everything not-gaming, too. Additionally, if you're the type to keep gear around a long time, you can upgrade the GPU in a few years when things get cheaper and make use of the extra headroom the monitor has. Otherwise, saving the $50-$100 to drop to 1080p doesn't make a whole lot of sense, in my opinion, especially if you intend to hang on to it for 5+ years.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Oysters Autobio posted:

So, I'm trying to budget a gaming PC, I'm thinking budget wise would be ideally 1,000 USD (I'm in Canada, so looking at a 1500 CAD budget) but am willing to go up 100 - 200 if it's worth it.

I'm buying a monitor first simply out of necessity (need a second monitor on laptop for WFH) but I have no idea what to get. I'll be wanting to play some milsim type FPS (tarkov, squad) and some other strategy or RPG games (mb2 bannerlord, ck3 when it's out) so I'm not looking for ultra high end gaming machine for competitive overwatch or anything. The highest title I'd like to play is RDR2 but I'd settle for just PS3 level graphic settings for it (don't need 4K).

What are even the basic price bands these days? I'm trying to play with the variables here to figure out my price point but I don't know the price bands. Like, if I do 1080p but at higher refresh rates, or 1440p at 60ghz what are the price differences and what should matter?

Choosing the monitor first and then building a system to match it is usually a good idea, but when you have a fixed budget that you need to fit both system and monitor into that might be a bit harder.

I agree with DrDork's categories for the most part but I would remove option #3 (1440p 60Hz) as not worth it when it's so close in price to 1440p 144Hz with variable refresh rate. With VRR and a 144Hz monitor you don't need a GPU that can do 144Hz, basically any framerate is fine and it won't really stutter or tear anyway. In fact I'd probably remove option #2 as well and reduce it to two choices:

(1) 1080p 60Hz IPS. This is the budget pick - you can even get a used office monitor or something for extra cheap. Don't spend more than $150.
(2) 1440p 144Hz IPS with Freesync. Starts at $300 when on sale, if you want more frills/slightly better performance you can sort of reasonably spend up to $450 or so. Great bang for the buck at the low end, to the point of making 1440p 60Hz irrelevant. I'd say that if you have problems fitting both a powerful GPU and one of these 144Hz monitors into your budget, prioritize the monitor. A good monitor lasts many years, several times longer than a GPU, and with VRR it's easy to grow into the full capabilities of the monitor later.

Then there's a special niche use case that most users should ignore, namely

(3) 1080p 240Hz TN. This is what you buy if your ability to make rent depends on how fast you can click heads. That is, if you're a competitive e-sports player.

You can also get 4K 120Hz monitors these days (see discussion a few posts up) but if you're doing that you definitely have more money than sense and should just buy whatever you like.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 8, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, I was mostly including those options just to point out that they aren't great. I agree with TheFluff that (1) and (4) are the ones I'd really be looking at. And maybe not even (1), but instead option (0): troll Canadian Craigslist or whatever and see if I could pick up a used 24" IPS off a business closing or whatever for $20.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
This is fantastic, thanks for really breaking down these options into something simple.

I very much like the idea of building in headroom for future upgrades with the monitor, even with the modest PC build I plan won't actually see its fully potential until future upgrades. Budget-wise though, at $300 (selling on amazon.ca at $554 CAD, with taxes comes to $626 CAD or $446 USD, thanks Canada) makes it a bit more difficult to maneuver in my budget range, but I am willing to push the budget further a bit if its for long-term benefit. I'm

But in any case, for the budget option (1), can anyone recommend a few models that come to mind that I can go off of and see what has a good deal on the Canada-side? Tough part about doing all this is finding the good "bang for your buck" doesn't always work cross-border so I need to be as flexible as possible in finding that model. Especially now that I'm more and more realizing some of the other things I'll need to budget that I havent really before (for example, I should probably get a chair too so I'm not just using a dining room thing).

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 8, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Budget 24" 1080p IPSs are more or less commodity products at this point. Pick whatever has a good deal from a good store that you are confident you could return it to if you get it home and it has bad pixels or such. I'm partial to Dell, but they're not gonna be at the cheap end if you're buying new.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

DrDork posted:

Budget 24" 1080p IPSs are more or less commodity products at this point. Pick whatever has a good deal from a good store that you are confident you could return it to if you get it home and it has bad pixels or such. I'm partial to Dell, but they're not gonna be at the cheap end if you're buying new.

There's this ViewSonic VA2459-SMH 24" 1080p, 60hz, IPS monitor. Coming out after taxes to $220 CAD / $162 USD. Thoughts?

Headroom would be nice but yeah, its a bit of a tough sell to go from $220 CAD / $162 USD all the way to $626 CAD / $446 usd to buy a bit of headroom for a couple of years, and I'm not even really that interested in any high-tier games aside from I guess RDR2 (but again, I'm content with the PS3 - level graphics to replay this again), and even then I'm not like an e-sports or even playing any high-twitch shooters that may need some higher specs.

I know I've read that scaling can be an issue betwen two differen tmonitors, but if down the road I wanted to get a secondary monitor just for extra space (and to browse while I'm gaming), would it really be screwy if I had a 1440p 144hz monitor as my main and then this 24" 1080p 60hz as a side-monitor or will I find that really frustrating?

Finally, a friend of mine is very big on saying I should go for a 27" even if I stick with the 1080p 60hz because the 24" is too small. Kinda hard for me to tell because I can't go out and look in-person obviously right now but he's saying its worth it. The 28" model of the same monitor I linked above comes out to an extra $60 CAD before taxes but also with shipping coming out till mid-May which unfortunately is a no-go (part of the deal with my partner was to get a monitor first for WFH purposes), so I'd be back to square one.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 8, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think the pixel density is bad for monitor use 27" at 1080p personally

That monitor seems ok, should be more like $110 US but the market currently is hosed

Different refresh on multiple monitors sucks

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

There's this ViewSonic VA2459-SMH 24" 1080p, 60hz, IPS monitor. Coming out after taxes to $220 CAD / $162 USD. Thoughts?

There's nothing wrong with it. It's more expensive then it should be, but I think that's the case across the board with budget monitors right now, since everyone has been buying them up for WFH reasons. Just don't use it with the included VGA cable--use HDMI like a normal person.

I wouldn't go with 27" 1080p. I don't disagree with your friend that 24" is kinda small by today's standards, but staying at 1080p will give it the appearance of being low resolution and kinda blurry. 27" should be 2560x1440, really. I looked through Amazon.ca, though, and it doesn't seem like there are any such options below about $450CAD. Might be able to find better deals elsewhere, but I'm not sure where else sells monitors up there.

Different resolutions/refresh rates on different monitors works alright. It's mostly up to you and how ok you are with having differently sized monitors. Your computer certainly isn't going to give a poo poo about different resolutions; different refresh rates can occasionally bring up weird issues, like where some video applications if running on a 60Hz screen will cause the high-Hz screen to also run at 60Hz. But these are reasonably uncommon and for the most part things Just Work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

DrDork posted:

There's nothing wrong with it. It's more expensive then it should be, but I think that's the case across the board with budget monitors right now, since everyone has been buying them up for WFH reasons. Just don't use it with the included VGA cable--use HDMI like a normal person.

I wouldn't go with 27" 1080p. I don't disagree with your friend that 24" is kinda small by today's standards, but staying at 1080p will give it the appearance of being low resolution and kinda blurry. 27" should be 2560x1440, really. I looked through Amazon.ca, though, and it doesn't seem like there are any such options below about $450CAD. Might be able to find better deals elsewhere, but I'm not sure where else sells monitors up there.

Different resolutions/refresh rates on different monitors works alright. It's mostly up to you and how ok you are with having differently sized monitors. Your computer certainly isn't going to give a poo poo about different resolutions; different refresh rates can occasionally bring up weird issues, like where some video applications if running on a 60Hz screen will cause the high-Hz screen to also run at 60Hz. But these are reasonably uncommon and for the most part things Just Work.

Yeah Canada seems to be a crap shoot ever since NCIX and TigerDirect died out.

Some other options I'm seeing for bumping up to the 27" 1440p / 144hz tier is around $350CAD - $400CAD before taxes:

1- Acer 27", 1440p 144hz curved monitor for $450CAD ($335 USD) after taxes.
2 - open box sale for a Samsung 27", 1440p 144hz curved monitor for $395 CAD ($281 USD) after taxes.

and other budget options (which I am still leaning towards) include:

1 - Open box Acer 27" 1080p / 144hz curved for $236 CAD ($168 USD) after taxes
2 - Acer 24" 1080p / 144hz for roughly the same as above ($230 CAD / 165 USD)
3 - ASUS 24" 1080p 75hz $276 CAD / $176 USD after taxes and shipping

Still, can my $1500 - 1700 CAD budget hold up if I stretch for the 1440p / 144hz? That's sort of my concern now so I should probably double-down on getting a build down on PC Parts Picker to see how everything will play out (esp. considering my budget needs to account for all peripherals and possibly a chair)

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 8, 2020